NJ NJ - Charlotte Loomis, 14, Eatontown, 1 Sept 1972

OK, Carol has also just passed away...
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/indystar/obituary.aspx?n=carole-fleming&pid=155445298#fbLoggedOut

So her husband was Alvin (Bud) Fleming who has also passed away in 2008...

http://flannerbuchanan.tributes.com/show/Alvin-Bud-Fleming-83619163

So although not 100% certain, given that Charlotte went to stay with her sister/husband on an Army base we can assume that Charlotte was with Carol and Alvin (Bud) Fleming on the 1st September 1972 and they were the last 'known' people to see her alive - as they were putting her on a plane in New Jersey to fly to Detroit.

My Dad was stationed, at one time, at Ft. Monmouth, which is the Army base they are talking about. Even though Alvin was Marine Corp, he would have been at Ft. Monmouth, there were inter-service facilities there.
Fort Monmouth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Searching through Alvins family still but I got sidetracked with this...

https://identifyus.org/cases/1458
http://doenetwork.org/cases/20ufnj.html

ME/C Case Number: 13881397/13881445
Monmouth County, New Jersey
15 to 20 year old White Female

Date found December 10, 1988
The victim was estimated to have been buried at the location for over 10 years.

Age, time, height, weight and place are all a good match.

Submitted. Fingers crossed!

In the forum for the Atlantic Highlands Jane Doe, it states that Charlotte Loomis was ruled out by DNA. I don't see that listed anywhere...so maybe its an error?

I found out why Charlotte is not listed on Charley Project:

Here is the Charley Project blog:

http://charleyross.wordpress.com/2009/10/22/a-slight-clerical-error/

I did a "Find Text" search in the Firefox browser for "Loomis" no quotes) and the inqurey as to why Charlotte is not on Charley Project is because there is no LE contact for her..

Abstract........

Lisa Says:
October 23, 2009 at 10:02 pm | Reply

"Hey Meaghan,
This may not be the thread to ask this but I was just curious why Charlotte Jean Loomis (1972) in not on Charley..she seems to only be on Doe…..

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1206dfnj.html

Meaghan Says:
October 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm | Reply

Because there is no LE contact listed."

I don't know if the circumstances have changed, but that is what the Charley Project's answer is with regards to Charlotte's case.

Regards,

Satch

PS. Oops! Sorry, did not know this was answered above in a previous post. However, it raises a point that if we can find the New Jersey LE who could or would be responsible for her case, it might open some doors as to evidence concerning what happened.

Privateeye.com has the following (name and known cities of residence):

4. LOOMIS, CHARLOTTE J
http://www.privateeye.com/people/charlotte+loomisGreenacres, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Miami, FL
Pembroke Pines, FL
San Diego, CA
Lake Worth, FL

Unfortunately, the cities are NOT chronological. But a Charlotte J. Loomis, in places like Florida and San Diego, which are known to be destinations for runaways and those who want to be missing...?

Same or different?

Isn't that interesting. Not finding anything myself. Wonder if police report ever found?

I had forgotten about the missing police report, actually.

Yes, I thought it was odd that someone mentioned Virginia, especially since they specifically mentioned an army base. I'm hoping mtrooper can shed some light on this, she has a contact in Charlotte's family...

It kind of gives me hope that her sister hid her from the family because she didn't want to go home... and maybe they were later stationed in Virginia..

i don't know if anyone noticed, but when reading DippyBlonde's post about the obits, in the first sister's death, it states that Charlotte Loomis is "missing" but when Carole passes away, the obituary says that Charlotte isn't missing, but dead?

What changed in a year to give them the conclusion that Charlotte was dead and not alive? Something is off....

i don't know if anyone noticed, but when reading DippyBlonde's post about the obits, in the first sister's death, it states that Charlotte Loomis is "missing" but when Carole passes away, the obituary says that Charlotte isn't missing, but dead?

What changed in a year to give them the conclusion that Charlotte was dead and not alive? Something is off....

The two obituaries were quite different. One had more personal information as well, I'm assuming that the funeral home that sent out that obit assumed she was dead after being gone a lot longer than she had been around.

This case is really, really confusing. It's really hard to tell if her family had something to do with her disappearance or if she ran away. What I do think is that if Charlotte did run away, she would try to get out as soon as possible, and if she packed lightly for the trip and all of the items in her luggage were easily replaceable, not picking up her baggage would actually give her an advantage, she would be saving a bit of time and she would lead police to believe she was a victim of foul play.

This case is really, really confusing. It's really hard to tell if her family had something to do with her disappearance or if she ran away. What I do think is that if Charlotte did run away, she would try to get out as soon as possible, and if she packed lightly for the trip and all of the items in her luggage were easily replaceable, not picking up her baggage would actually give her an advantage, she would be saving a bit of time and she would lead police to believe she was a victim of foul play.

This is sort of why I'm very curious what was in that suitcase - was it properly packed, as it just clothes, were there are things Charlotte would have been expected to pack but didn't?

I was her best friend in Jr. high it has only been two years since I found out she came up missing. I am troubled about all of this. Yes she did always talk about running but she wouldn't have. Not with out me or letting me know somehow. I believe that she felt safe with her sister. She lead a very troubled past with her family. I don't believe she is dead. I don't feel it. Yes we were that close. If she is out there I wish her to show up. After all these yrs the feelings of friendship is and always will be there. Who was it that I read the past shouldn't be dug up? Did I read that her mother said that? I would be unrelenting on finding my child, even her sister... Until the body was found, I'd be turning every rock from here to Tim-buc-tu.

Charlotte is most definitly still missing, I spoke with two of her sisters and LE. Still working on actually locating the police report. As it seems with many cases that are before computer times, it might have been purged. Hoping to breathe new life into this case!
I would like the phone numbers to her mom and sisters if at all possible. I was her best friend in Jr high. After searching for her for years. I found a obit that told me she was a missing person... No one ever told me. I don't feel like she is deceased. We had a bond like no other. I've been wondering for 40 years what happened to my friend. http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/972345

not sure of how things worked in the usa so long ago but in oz if you are under 16 and travelling alone you are considered an unacompanied minor which means an adult must be with you to check you in and a flight
attendant takes over your care
so, my question: is it possible that, as other posters have pointed out, the suitcases were checked in but charlotte was never at the airport?

not sure of how things worked in the usa so long ago but in oz if you are under 16 and travelling alone you are considered an unacompanied minor which means an adult must be with you to check you in and a flight
attendant takes over your care
so, my question: is it possible that, as other posters have pointed out, the suitcases were checked in but charlotte was never at the airport?

I flew to Los Angeles with my aunt in 1980 when I was 14 to spend the summer, on the return flight home she dropped me off at the airport and I don't remember having any difficulty getting on the plane so IMO the unaccompanied minor rule took effect much later.

The two obituaries were quite different. One had more personal information as well, I'm assuming that the funeral home that sent out that obit assumed she was dead after being gone a lot longer than she had been around.
or it could be that Carol/her husband, and therefor her family/kids felt more strongly that she was dead. Carol knew Charlotte was dead because she had something to do with it, or Carol saw Charlotte board the plane and therefore knew something bad must have happened to Charlotte when she did not make it home.

There is so little to go on, I wouldn't even know where to begin. For starters, did her sister walk up to the gate and see or board? Did she stay at the gate until the plane took off? (She could do that back then) While Newark wasn't as big then as it is today, it was still relatively large and , it would have been easy for Charlotte to get off the plane once she boarded and go somewhere else. Or to head off toward the plane, but not actually get on it, if her sister didn't watch her get on.

With such a large number of siblings, I would think that in the 40+ years since her disappearance, she would have felt a close bond to at least one of them and been in contact. If not carol, who she may have felt rejected her by making her go home, then one of the younger ones.

If Carol hid her so she didn't have to go back home, I am sure at some point as the decades passed, she would have said something to someone about it and let them know where she was. So I don't think that is what happened.

I am leaning toward foul play, though there is always the possibility that she had such a horrible relationship with her family that she decided to cut ties forever.

I find it interesting that she is listed as missing from Eatontown, NJ and not Newark, NJ. Ft. Monmouth (in Eatontown) is about 45 minute drive from the airport and in another county. Is this a reflection of the fact that it took so long for the missing person report to make it to Namus, or was there a question from the beginning about whether or not Charlotte made it to the airport?? Did LE anywhere in NJ do any investigating at all when this happened??

IMHO, the most likely scenarios are:
* Charlotte left off her own free will
* she met foul play from a stranger
* or she was killed in NJ then her luggage put on the plane
Highly unlikely: She was killed by family in Detroit and her luggage left at the airport. Her Detroit family would have had to leave the airport with her but not her luggage and why would they do that? Leaving without her luggage would surely make her suspicious. Returning to the airport to put luggage back into the carousel makes no sense to me, as someone walking INTO the arrival area and luggage pickup area with luggage might look strange and cause someone to notice. Plus most crimes are usually are not that complex. Kill someone, hide the body, concoct a story is about as complex as most criminals get. (Killing her and disposing of her body at the airport seems highly unlikely)

I see nothing that states exactly went on in Detroit. Were the parents waiting for her at the airport and flipping out because she didn't get off the plane? And were people alerted immediately? Or did kids come home from school to see their sister's luggage and were told "your sister's luggage arrived but we don't know where she is." (which would point a little more suspicion on Detroit)

Knowing the exact fate of the luggage and when/to whom the parents reported her missing may help. Did they report it right away or assume/tell people she was a runaway? Did LE or anyone question the airline? A flight attendant might have remembered an empty seat on that particular flight or a passenger who boarded then left.

It's so strange how little seemed to have been done back then. Today, this would be all over the news in NJ and MI and would probably make the news all over the country, not to mention the Internet.

has charlotte being declared legally dead?
i wonder if she checked her luggage in at the counter or someone else did it, if she didn't have to be there to check her luggage in, get her boarding pass, etc that would explain her suitcases being in the carousel and charlotte missing
flying in the 70s seems more relaxed than it is now

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back