TX - Fertilizer plant explodes in West, Texas

So sad. I was in West (it's only about an hour and a half from here) a couple weeks ago and had an hour to kill waiting to meet someone at the Czech Stop Bakery there. Sweet little old town looks like time kind of forgot it.

Prayers for them.

Okay, AG is done... now it's DPS turn.

We are still in the search and rescue phase looking for individuals.
People are tirelessly working to locate individuals.
Nobody allowed to enter areas.

Community assistance building opened, the old library.
A post office has also been opened and running.
Not in need of any perishable items.
Monetary items can go to Red Cross or Salvation Army, a fund has been set up.

At this time we can confirm fatalities but not an exact amount.
He won't even say 5-15 anymore.
Cannot confirm what the Mayor's statements were.

Criminal negligence?
AG says it's premature, just trying to rescue people and help the families.

ATF?

So really if the number of fatalities was somewhat low giving an estimated number would be no big deal, but with many dead it would be easy to over estimate, don't you think?

Now Chief Deputy Sheriff from the county.
Populated area, it is devastated. It is a volatile situation.
Working closely with ATF and fire marshall to establish cause.
EPA are there to determine air quality for first responders.

Was all of it burnt up or explode or does some remain, he doesn't know.

Passing it back to the DPS.
People are saying volunteer firefighters are deceased, can you confirm that?
Trooper is refusing to confirm amount or number of fatalities.

We do have fatalities. I can't give you a number.

He also will not answer on the number of firefighters.
In respect to the firefighters he think they should continue search and rescue.

They are working on setting another date for a press conference. :sigh:

This trooper completely back pedaled and will not say any number...
Or confirm or deny that the media should still say 5-15.
He will not confirm the number of firefighters. Nothing.

I think that they know they are going to find more bodies.
They could say "we have this many missing people" but they didn't say that.
They KNOW how many firefighters are gone and odds are good they are not alive.
They just don't want to be pinned down to anything until they have exact numbers.

Unfortunately I think that might backfire, people are getting REALLY frustrated.
Imagine being a family member with a missing loved one, listening to that presser!

It's starting to sound like they have something to hide.
They are handling pressers like it is a major crime and the investigation could be compromised.

"The mayor of West, Texas, said the death toll from a fertilizer-plant explosion could grow to 30 to 40 people. Mayor Tommy Muska said the dead include five volunteer firefighters, four emergency medical technicians and a Dallas firefigher. He said the discovery of additional survivors is unlikely."

http://stream.wsj.com/story/texas-fertilizer-plant-explosion/SS-2-214602/SS-2-215384/?mod=wsj_streaming_texas-fertilizer-plant-explosion

Wall Street Journal got the mayor to say something somewhat definitive, at least...

I know this was a small town, but I'd honestly be shocked if the death toll is under fifty.

I think that they know they are going to find more bodies.
They could say "we have this many missing people" but they didn't say that.
They KNOW how many firefighters are gone and odds are good they are not alive.
They just don't want to be pinned down to anything until they have exact numbers.

Unfortunately I think that might backfire, people are getting REALLY frustrated.
Imagine being a family member with a missing loved one, listening to that presser!

It's starting to sound like they have something to hide.
They are handling pressers like it is a major crime and the investigation could be compromised.

BBM

I can't speak about missing civilians, but I do know by way of a friend of a friend that family members of the first responders who are deceased are being kept up to date. I'm wondering if maybe the level of devastation in this area is not being fully comprehended. Just like everything else, even if a person is missing and no one believes they survived, they still aren't going to count them as deceased in these early hours until some kind of remains are found and identified.

MOO, I don't think they are trying to hide anything, I just think they are trying to show respect for those who have loved ones who are still unaccounted for.

That's why I thought they might say "We have X number of people missing."
That way people would get an idea.

I am also concerned with head injuries.
Someone might have been hit in the head then wandered away and be missing, not dead.

It does sound like the Mayor said 30-40 missing/dead. Just not at the presser.

BBM

I can't speak about missing civilians, but I do know by way of a friend of a friend that family members of the first responders who are deceased are being kept up to date. I'm wondering if maybe the level of devastation in this area is not being fully comprehended. Just like everything else, even if a person is missing and no one believes they survived, they still aren't going to count them as deceased in these early hours until some kind of remains are found and identified.

MOO, I don't think they are trying to hide anything, I just think they are trying to show respect for those who have loved ones who are still unaccounted for.

My day is rushing - can't Google much. Any late info on the death toll? Is it still "5 to 15"..?

My day is rushing - can't Google much. Any late info on the death toll? Is it still "5 to 15"..?

At the press conference they would not say.
The Mayor believes 30-40... including 10 first responders.

http://stream.wsj.com/story/texas-f...sj_streaming_texas-fertilizer-plant-explosion

The anchor on this channel is also very frustrated with the lack of information.
Saying if the mayor could say it, why couldn't they at the press conference.

http://www.kcentv.com/category/177820/live-video

They won't even cop to that now...being very evasive, based on my impression of what they said.

The Mayor said 30-40 but at the presser they wouldn't confirm nor deny. Again, based on my take.

Feeling it will be higher. But that's again, my feelings!

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/country-icon-sends-prayer-tweet-after-texas-blast

Willie Nelson said Thursday that he will turn an upcoming Texas concert into a benefit for victims of the explosion at a fertilizer plant not far from where he grew up.

The country music icon still has a home in Abbott, Texas, about five miles north of West, which was rocked by the explosion Wednesday night that left an unknown number of people dead and more than 160 hurt. He remembers riding his bike the short distance between the towns and still has many friends and family there.

But weren't they trying to put the fire out for quite a while BEFORE the explosion? If they realized that it was going to explode it seems they would have evacuated a while before it happened.

Yes, they responded to the fire at around 6:30 PM, and not too soon after, it was determined that evacuation of nearby homes/buildings would also be necessary. That was underway at the time of the explosion (about 8 PM). I believe the mayor (also a volunteer FF) was with the initial group that responded--he said in interview that his hat blew off, but he was otherwise uninjured.

View of the plume from Abbott, Willie Nelson's hometown.

[Courtesy Amanda Gibson.]

Yes, they responded to the fire at around 6:30 PM, and not too soon after, it was determined that evacuation of nearby homes/buildings would also be necessary. That was underway at the time of the explosion (about 8 PM). I believe the mayor (also a volunteer FF) was with the initial group that responded--he said in interview that his hat blew off, but he was otherwise uninjured.

No, this was incorrectly reported (last I heard).

It was reported at 7:30pm and the explosion was at 7:53pm.
If there had been an hour and a half, I believe most of the fire dept would be dead.
They simply didn't all have TIME to get there.
Several were on their way when it exploded.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/key-facts-plant-explosion-west-texas-18990641#.UXBClcpaa3o

Three to five volunteer firefighters and a constable responded at 7:29 p.m. Wednesday to a blaze at the West Fertilizer Co.

Firefighters recognized the seriousness of the situation and began evacuating people from the immediate area.

About 20 minutes later, an explosion with the force of a small earthquake shook the ground and could be heard dozens of miles away.

NEWS CONF NOW

TX Atty Gen Greg Abbott speaking now, Mayor to speak next

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/category/234333/live

They just had one? WTH? It wasn't just a rerun?

Oh ok... Abbott has toured the area now, that makes sense.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutalicy
Back