CA CA - Farren Stanberry, 18, San Francisco, 24 Apr 1980

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civic_Center,_San_Francisco

"The Civic Center is bounded by Market Street on the south, Franklin Street on the west, Turk Street on the north, and Leavenworth and Seventh streets on the east. The Civic Center is bounded by the Tenderloin neighborhood on the north and east and by the Hayes Valley neighborhood on the west; Market Street separates it from the South of Market or "SoMa" neighborhood."

We can be pretty certain that either the date or the address is a mistake, have had further communication from the library and it seems that the building "disappeared" even before UN Plaza was build.

Hopefully, it's just a transcribing mistake and there is a paper record about these remains with the correct information somewhere, because otherwise this poor person might never be identified. It might be worth contacting the San Francisco ME contact, or the NamUS contact for the UID and gently asking if they can double check the record...

We can be pretty certain that either the date or the address is a mistake, have had further communication from the library and it seems that the building "disappeared" even before UN Plaza was build.

Hopefully, it's just a transcribing mistake and there is a paper record about these remains with the correct information somewhere, because otherwise this poor person might never be identified. It might be worth contacting the San Francisco ME contact, or the NamUS contact for the UID and gently asking if they can double check the record...

I have a very sad thought with regard to the building "disappearing."

Could it be that because that street or part of the community housed a lot of homeless people and was considered dangerous, that the actually building itself was kept off and out of all databases because people had a lot of mean stereotypes about those who lived there?

At that time, the homeless and gay community was still considered a taboo subject and maybe for prejudicial reasons or political reasons whatever happened to that building was purposefully kept off all property records because at the time people would say and think, "undesirables live there?"

I agree that there is great mystery about not only what happened to the building, when it was demolished and why? I hope that address does not lead to a dead end! At least the UID #3 information is being processed to NameUs, so that is a good sign! I am hoping some closure comes out of this!

Satch

Could it be that because that street or part of the community housed a lot of homeless people and was considered dangerous, that the actually building itself was kept off and out of all databases because people had a lot of mean stereotypes about those who lived there?

At that time, the homeless and gay community was still considered a taboo subject and maybe for prejudicial reasons or political reasons whatever happened to that building was purposefully kept off all property records because at the time people would say and think, "undesirables live there?"

I agree that there is great mystery about not only what happened to the building, when it was demolished and why? I hope that address does not lead to a dead end! At least the UID #3 information is being processed to NameUs, so that is a good sign! I am hoping some closure comes out of this!

Satch

To be honest I think the most likely is just that it was demolished, because a number of buildings used as residential hotels or vacant, or in more dangerous areas, were listed. In the 70s and 80s, and 60s too a bit it looks like, a lot of Market Street was reconstructed, pavements widened, lots of work on their metro/BART, UN Plaza created, street numberings changed, and so on. But yes here's hoping there's some closure!

More questions for study,

Thanks everyone for the excellent leads and information on Ferren's case!

1.) I would assume the relationship between Farren and his biological parents was not good. Were his parents divorced or separated, which lead to Farren being raised by his Aunt and Grandmother?

2.) Why would Farren's biological Mother refuse to send him money? Her reasoning and Farren's reaction to it, could likely be the main cause of his disappearance, and possible tragic demise.

3.) Who in the Stanberry family is still living? Did I read someone that Ferran's Grandmother is still alive, but in ill health, devastated by Ferran's disappearance? Poor thing!

4.) I think it would have been cool to get to know Farren to talk about the places he wanted to see and the people he met!

5.) I wonder what kind of student he was? Did he have any problems with drugs or alcohol?

6.) Was Ferren "possibly" abandoned by his biological parents, If he revealed or they found out he was gay? Feeling great pain and sadness, could he have wanted to "see the world" to be a friend and help others within the gay community? Or was Ferren actually straight, but had great empathy to help others, and wanted to visit and make a special bond with a gay friend?

I think Ferren was sadly so betrayed by his biological Mother refusing to send him money and possibly that $42 dollars and change was all he had left. He lost his job, couldn't pay his debts, and the men whom he could have been with, also may have been in similar predicaments,

I think Ferren tragically committed suicide. Tragically, I could see him not wanted to do it at the hotel, so as not to upset anyone, but in a vacant building and make sure that no one was around when he did it. If he did kill himself.

Was it ever determined how UID#3 died? Maybe that will come about as a result of the new investigation.

Very heartbreaking for this gentlemen and his family.

Satch

More questions for study,

Thanks everyone for the excellent leads and information on Ferren's case!

1.) I would assume the relationship between Farren and his biological parents was not good. Were his parents divorced or separated, which lead to Farren being raised by his Aunt and Grandmother?

Something in the article said that his aunt and grandmother raised him because his mother was "too troubled" to do so herself. It didn't elaborate.

2.) Why would Farren's biological Mother refuse to send him money? Her reasoning and Farren's reaction to it, could likely be the main cause of his disappearance, and possible tragic demise.

I wondered this as well, especially since the money he was requesting was supposedly his own money that his mother had for an unknown reason.

3.) Who in the Stanberry family is still living? Did I read someone that Ferran's Grandmother is still alive, but in ill health, devastated by Ferran's disappearance? Poor thing!

As far as I know, the uncle, aunt, and mother are still living. I've never seen a mention of a father. The grandmother was still alive when Farren's uncle posted that plea in 1999. Her obit is below.

4.) I think it would have been cool to get to know Farren to talk about the places he wanted to see and the people he met!

5.) I wonder what kind of student he was? Did he have any problems with drugs or alcohol?

6.) Was Ferren "possibly" abandoned by his biological parents, If he revealed or they found out he was gay? Feeling great pain and sadness, could he have wanted to "see the world" to be a friend and help others within the gay community? Or was Ferren actually straight, but had great empathy to help others, and wanted to visit and make a special bond with a gay friend?

I think Ferren was sadly so betrayed by his biological Mother refusing to send him money and possibly that $42 dollars and change was all he had left. He lost his job, couldn't pay his debts, and the men whom he could have been with, also may have been in similar predicaments,

I think Ferren tragically committed suicide. Tragically, I could see him not wanted to do it at the hotel, so as not to upset anyone, but in a vacant building and make sure that no one was around when he did it. If he did kill himself.

Was it ever determined how UID#3 died? Maybe that will come about as a result of the new investigation.

I haven't seen a cause of death for UID#3 but have wondered what method of suicide he might have used, IF UID#3 was him and if he DID commit suicide. I don't think he was shot, or there would have been a mention of that on the UID?

Very heartbreaking for this gentlemen and his family.

Satch

I haven't received any response from San Francisco ME or Caldwell's or my request to the Oregonian to copy the articles. I hope the John Day OR police is having better luck with the ME.

All MP cases make me sad, but this one is particularly bothering me lately. I think partially because of the urgency of knowing his family is up there in age and really want answers.

Farren's grandmother has passed away.
BEULAH M. HARRISON
Nov. 13, 1919 — Nov. 25, 2003

Beulah M. Harrison, 84, of John Day died Nov. 25 at her residence.

She was born Nov. 13, 1919, in Fruita, Colo., to Clyde and Nettie (Meadows) Barker.

On May 7, 1937, she married Ennis Harrison in Glad Park, Colo.

She had attended the Assembly of God Church since age 15 and was more recently a member of the Bible Way Community Church in John Day.

Her greatest enjoyments were taking care of her husband, children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Mrs. Harrison is survived by her husband, Ennis Harrison of John Day; three daughters, Sharon Shultz of Grand Junction, Colo., Carolyn Barr of Sisters and Sandra Colbeth of Vancouver, Wash.; two sisters, Etta Sigenberger of Grand Junction, Colo., and Mable Baxter of Sweet Home; six grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

She was preceded in death by brother, James Barker.

Funeral services officiated by Pastor Jack Retherford were held Dec. 1 at Driskill Memorial Chapel.Vault interment followed at Canyon City Cemetery. Memorial contributions can be made to a charity of one's choice in care of Driskill Memorial Chapel, 241 S. Canyon Blvd., John Day, OR 97845. (Blue Mountain Eagle newspaper)

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=33030763

Satch

People do not view the area dangerous because of prejudice. They view it as dangerous because it is dangerous. The homeless people you fantasize are much different than the reality. The UN Plaza is near the jail and is in front of City Hall. The homeless people camp out there when they are not in jail and/or have been turned away by the Salvation Army. They survive by panhandling and stealing. When you walk through that area you instinctively clutch your purse and try to not make eye contact with them because they will hassle you for money. You also instinctively try to stay more than an arm's reach from them because you never know if one of them might reach out with a knife and stab you.. There is a good deal of alcoholism and insanity in this group of people. California closed all it's mental hospitals, leaving schizophrenics to roam the streets. That is sad. A lot of these people have brain damage from living violent lives and getting in many fights. That is reality.

There has to be something wrong with the address for #3 since the area is a plaza and there are no buildings there. There has to be something wrong with the information about Farren visiting a person who later died of AIDES since it did not exist then and if his "friend" were the first person to come down with it it would have been about 1983 or later when he died and I find it hard to believe an employee at the hotel would have known this and told his family this.

San Francisco has a great deal of tolerance for gay men. It did then and it does now. That's why a lot of men move there.

People do not view the area dangerous because of prejudice. They view it as dangerous because it is dangerous. The homeless people you fantasize are much different than the reality. The UN Plaza is near the jail and is in front of City Hall. The homeless people camp out there when they are not in jail and/or have been turned away by the Salvation Army. They survive by panhandling and stealing. When you walk through that area you instinctively clutch your purse and try to not make eye contact with them because they will hassle you for money. You also instinctively try to stay more than an arm's reach from them because you never know if one of them might reach out with a knife and stab you.. There is a good deal of alcoholism and insanity in this group of people. California closed all it's mental hospitals, leaving schizophrenics to roam the streets. That is sad. A lot of these people have brain damage from living violent lives and getting in many fights. That is reality.

There has to be something wrong with the address for #3 since the area is a plaza and there are no buildings there. There has to be something wrong with the information about Farren visiting a person who later died of AIDES since it did not exist then and if his "friend" were the first person to come down with it it would have been about 1983 or later when he died and I find it hard to believe an employee at the hotel would have known this and told his family this.

San Francisco has a great deal of tolerance for gay men. It did then and it does now. That's why a lot of men move there.

bbm

One thing I really wish we had was a better timeline of what happened when... the news articles weren't really helpful as far as dates and the whole sequence of things.

I actually think the info about the gay man is credible... I speculated that since there was no mention of Farren's uncle ever speaking to the gay man, that he had more than likely already died by the time Farren's uncle got involved... but I have no idea when he got involved, just that it was before 1995 since the articles published in 1998 state that DC's search has intensified in the past 3 years. I could have speculated wrong though, it's possible that he was still alive at that time.

Here is a snippet from the article which talks about the search, with the parts relevant to this post BBM.

Dick knew Sandy was upset about Farren's disappearance, so he figured he'd do a little looking. "I did some simple things, and it just snowballed from there," Dick says. "The more I looked, I started to get angry that nobody -- none of the agencies or the police -- knew anything about him. Nobody was looking for him, nobody had any record of him." So Dick bought books on how to find missing people and began an organized search.
Dick wrote to celebrity private investigators who have national reputations for finding people. "They did a little looking for me, some pro bono stuff," Dick says. "Mainly some cursory computer searches." No luck.
He went to the library and searched phone books from across the nation, looking for the last name Stanberry. "I wrote to hundreds of them. I made up a postcard with his picture on it and sent out thousands of those. I blanketed the San Francisco area, looking for anybody who knew anything at all. I got absolutely zero response."
He talked to the John Day police chief, who gave Dick copies of all the original police reports. Dick contacted the San Francisco police. "I talked to missing persons down there. They don't have any record, no file on him, nothing."
As the years went by, the bug to find Farren bit Dick harder. Three years ago, he says, his search became "intensive."
"I wrote to the Air Force, to all the Stanberrys in Alaska, to the TV show 'America's Most Wanted.' I did many, many searches on America Online. I wrote the American Bar Association, the American Bowling Congress -- because Farren liked to bowl -- the American Council of Life Insurers. What they'll do, if he ever takes out a life insurance policy, they'll notify me.
"I wrote the American Red Cross, which referred me to the Salvation Army, and they checked their shelters. I wrote to the Arkansas DMV, because there's a Farren Stanberry in Arkansas. They wouldn't respond to my letters, so I got the police on them. They checked, and it's not our Farren. He was Assembly of God in John Day, so I wrote them, and they don't have any record of him. I wrote places in Australia. That's just the A's."
Behind the other letters of the alphabet in Dick's notebooks are hundreds of letters to some pretty unusual places: The Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Interpol. The Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C. State fish and game commissions. The State Department said Farren had never had a passport. "He liked to read Reader's Digest, so I asked them to look for his name. The Social Security administration has a death index, and he's not in that."
Dick went down to Sacramento, to talk to the folks at the California Bureau of Identification. "They identify remains from deceased unknowns," Dick says. "They don't have a record of anybody like him going through there."
Not a single lead, from any source. Dick would not give up.
"I went to a cult education program. I was thinking that sometimes cults will take a child and just give him a new identity." No leads.
Dick contacted the hotel in San Francisco where Farren was last seen. "I found out he was visiting a gay man there. This man eventually died of AIDS." Was Farren gay? "Possibly," Dick says. "We wouldn't care one way or the other."
"No matter what, we love him," Sandy says. "We just need to know if he's alive or if he's dead."
Dick thinks he's dead. "He was a naive country kid. I don't think he had the expertise to plan a disappearance like this. I think he was murdered and just buried somewhere. He's out there in the California landscape. But we'd just like to find out, to get closure on the thing. His grandmother is in her late 70s. It's a real heartbreak for her, having him just disappear like that."
Even after 18 years, Beulah Harrison has a hard time talking about her grandson. She still lives in the same house, she still has the same phone number. She waits for Farren to call. "If someone would just let me know if he's all right," Beulah says. "That would be a wonderful thing. I think about him every day and every night. You'd think it would get easier, but it doesn't.

http://www.oregonlive.com/search/oregonian/ (Pay Per View Search Page)

To me, the tale of Dick's search sounds crazy and frankly I don't believe him. Writing all those places would be the work of an insane person and I don't believe him. Or to put it another way, Dick's story of searching is not plausible. JMO

To me, the tale of Dick's search sounds crazy and frankly I don't believe him. Writing all those places would be the work of an insane person and I don't believe him. Or to put it another way, Dick's story of searching is not plausible. JMO

At least, Dick's story seems to be a stretch.

Satch

If Dick is the only source of the story of the friend who died of AIDES, I think we can discount it. The article says he was visiting someone in the hotel and we know (probably from a police report) that there was a bank account at Wells Fargo with Farren's address listed to that hotel. What is motivating Dick to claim he has looked everywhere in the whole wide wide world for Farren? Could he be worried about Farren's potential as an heir to his grandmother's estate?

I really hadn't given the unusually extensive search much thought, except for trying to figure out a timeline from it.

I'm not so quick to discount it, though. My mom was interested in genealogy in the pre-internet days and wrote tons of letters to libraries, archives, vital records, etc. and she definitely isn't a crazy person.

I think it may have just been a different time, when letter writing was all there was, so people just did it and it didn't seem so tedious.

Redbird, the money in the Wells Fargo account is on the California Unclaimed Property site so you can look at it.

Aside from the Wells Fargo account, there is another entry for an "F Stanberry" with no address, for $98.45 reported by the Marriott Corporation. I don't know if this is Farren but I don't see any other Stanberry's in the index whose first name starts with F. This "F Stanberry" could have been anywhere in California, not necessarily San Francisco.

I think it's possible (pure speculation, though) that he may have worked for Marriott, and that $98.45 may be an unclaimed paycheck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in 1980 they were still using stone tablets. :laugh:

Marriott Hotel: Good clue. If he worked at the Marriott he would probably have belonged to a union. I know this because a roommate of mine worked in a SF hotel. My roomie was forced to join the union and pay union dues. He probably made decent money with tips. He may have had good dental insurance so I suppose it is remotely possible he had a lot of dental work done.

Marriott Hotel: Good clue. If he worked at the Marriott he would probably have belonged to a union. I know this because a roommate of mine worked in a SF hotel. My roomie was forced to join the union and pay union dues. He probably made decent money with tips. He may have had good dental insurance so I suppose it is remotely possible he had a lot of dental work done.

I wish there were a way to tell if it's actually him. I did a search on Veromi and found a total of 3 Stanberry's that start with F in California... and Farren would make 4 (but he isn't on Veromi).. so I guess there's a 25% chance? lol

I wish there were a way to tell if it's actually him. I did a search on Veromi and found a total of 3 Stanberry's that start with F in California... and Farren would make 4 (but he isn't on Veromi).. so I guess there's a 25% chance? lol

Yeah, it makes me wish the unclaimed property database would list something like how long the money had gone unclaimed - since 2003, since 1983? Because that could help narrow it down...

All gone very quiet here, I hope there is some development soon.

Also, first UIDs hair is described as "All of the head is shaved except for one patch of hair in the occipital region and the upper part of the nape of the neck" which would seem like a pretty memorable thing about a person, I guess?

Is that similar to the hairstyle worn by some Hare Krishnas?

Also, is it possible that Farren could have been hitchhiking and accepted a ride from the wrong person?

Is that similar to the hairstyle worn by some Hare Krishnas?

Also, is it possible that Farren could have been hitchhiking and accepted a ride from the wrong person?

I think if he was hitchhiking, he probably wasn't planning on going far. I say that only because he left his ID and personal belongings behind in the hotel.

See this website: http://www.historicaerials.com/.

Enter 1144 Market St, San Francisco to see a zoomable aerial view of this address. You can see images from 1931 to the 1990s.

Not all images are that clear, but I can’t see that there were any buildings at this address. It looks to me like the intersection where UN Plaza is now was devoid of buildings…

I think the 1144 address was a misprint, but does anyone else see a building that could qualify as 1144?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back