Amanda Knox New Motivation Report RE: Meredith Kercher Murder #1 *new trial ordered*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Monster of Florence is a good read. It gives a lot of insight into the mind of Mignini and some of the differences between American and Italian cultures. When I learned that Mignini was also involved in the MK murder case, I looked at the prosecution and conviction of AK and RS with new eyes. Based solely on news coverage, I originally thought that they probably were somehow involved. I then read the Monster of Perugia and was appalled! I am absolutely convinced that they are innocent. Mignini is a hardcore conspiracy theorist, and it is clear to me that a wild theory of the murder was concocted before the evidence was evaluated. And because "salvare la faccia", saving face, is a big part of the Italian consciousness, we will never hear him say, "I was wrong". (For the record, I am not criticizing Italians overall, just simply stating what I have learned about the culture.)

I just finished AK's book and found it compelling and started reading RS's yesterday. I can't believe that this nightmare isn't over for them.

(I've lurked quite a bit on this thread, but have hesitated to post as it can get rather heated in here. :seeya:)

That book sounds good [The Monster of Perugia]. I've started with the Monster of Florence because it was written by Douglas Preston, an American who had his own problems with the Italian prosecutor, and I remember him saying at the time, Amanda went to Italy a fresh young girl and will come home a middle aged woman. So far, I have been unable to sleep through this book. It's that good. :seeya:

April 23, 2010 7:54 AM

Monster of Florence: Amanda Knox Prosecutor's Satanic Theories Rejected by Judge

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20003238-504083.html

"Mignini's malicious and completely unwarranted accusations ruined many lives and impoverished the defendants and their families," Douglas Preston, the author of "The Monster of Florence," told Crimesider. Added Mario Spezi, Preston's co-author in Italy, "The great question is: How was it possible that Mignini was able to pursue a case that everyone knew was crazy?"

Those who follow the case of Amanda Knox, the American student convicted of murder in Perugia last December, will find much of this familiar.

Giuliano Mignini was the prosecutor in Knox's case. Mignini argued, at one point, that Knox was demonically motivated when, he says, she killed her roommate, Meredith Kercher in November 2007.

That book sounds good [The Monster of Perugia]. I've started with the Monster of Florence because it was written by Douglas Preston, an American who had his own problems with the Italian prosecutor, and I remember him saying at the time, Amanda went to Italy a fresh young girl and will come home a middle aged woman. So far, I have been unable to sleep through this book. It's that good. :seeya:

Monster of Florence: Amanda Knox Prosecutor's Satanic Theories Rejected by Judge

"Mignini's malicious and completely unwarranted accusations ruined many lives and impoverished the defendants and their families," Douglas Preston, the author of "The Monster of Florence," told Crimesider. Added Mario Spezi, Preston's co-author in Italy, "The great question is: How was it possible that Mignini was able to pursue a case that everyone knew was crazy?"

Those who follow the case of Amanda Knox, the American student convicted of murder in Perugia last December, will find much of this familiar.

Giuliano Mignini was the prosecutor in Knox's case. Mignini argued, at one point, that Knox was demonically motivated when, he says, she killed her roommate, Meredith Kercher in November 2007.

I couldn't put the Monster of Florence down either. I read it in two days! Douglas Preston experienced first hand the unscrupulous tactics of Mignini. He's like a character out of the Inquisition or the Salem Witch Trials. IMO, the Monster of Perugia isn't as well written, but it lays out the insanity that was rampant in the case.

Why exactly is Knox being retried? Or at least Italy wants to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that the function of the Italian Supreme Court is to make rulings based on procedural/technical issues related to the law. They don't evaluate evidence in cases. I have no idea why they vacated the acquittal and ordered a new trial, but I do know that it isn't related to evidence to the case.

The Italian justice system is very different from others.

Usually a retrial after acquittal occurs when there is new evidence.

In Italy, it occurs when the original prosecutor applies to the Supreme Court for the right to overturn the acquittal and order a new trial.

I believe (not 100% certain on the legalese here) that - to get around the "double jeapardy" issue - the court refuses to ratify the original verdict (from the first case) - making all other court decisions afterwards as no longer applicable (as if they didn't happen).

This way the original case can be retried.

Details on the prosecutors reason for the appeal and for the courts decision haven't been released yet - but should be shortly.

Although it hasn't' been confirmed - it's unlikely that either Amanda or Raffaele will be required at the new trial - but they won't be barred from it either.

...hows that for justice on a stick.

MEANWHILE....

The prosecutor in the case - Giuliano Mignini is facing his own legal battles.

" In 2006, Mignini was charged with abuse of office for allegedly ordering the illegal wiretapping of the phones of various police officers and journalists involved in the Monster of Florence case.[21] In January 2010, a Florence court found him guilty of exceeding the powers of his office but acquitted of the remaining charges.[5] He was given a 16-month suspended sentence. Mignini appealed the conviction, saying "My conscience is clear, I know I did nothing wrong." [23] He remained in office through the appeal process, as Italian law does not consider convictions final until all appeals are exhausted.[24][25] In November 2011, the Court of Appeal in Florence overturned Mignini's conviction for lack of jurisdiction and referred the case to the prosecutor in Turin to decide whether to re-file the charges.[26] According to Rome-based journalist and author Barbie Latza Nadeau, even if Mignini were convicted, offenses such as this are rarely grounds for removing a prosecutor from office.[27]"

"Shortly before the acquittal of Amanda Knox for murder, Mignini told a reporter from the British newspaper, The Guardian,[39] "I have felt under attack ever since I investigated Narducci. It all started there."[39] He further suggested that the trial for abuse of power, which has now been moved to Turin due to jurisdictional issues, was related to persecution for his role in the Monster of Florence case[39] and blamed American author Douglas Preston, co-author with Spezi of a book about the case, of masterminding a U.S. press campaign against him over the Knox case.[39] In summing up the Knox appeal he said "our judicial system has been subjected to a systematic denigration by a well-organised operation of a journalistic and political nature".[39]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuliano_Mignini#Allegations_of_abuse_of_office

Same here...I can't tell if she just has poor interpersonal skills, is narcissistic, or a complete liar.

She's just better educated and a slightly better actress than Jodi.
She does fool me;)

Right. English libel law is extremely heavily weighted in favour of the plaintiff, and it is possible to bring -- and sometimes even win -- libel suits that would be thrown out of court in any other Western country. The rich and powerful often take advantage of this to try to shut up critics. One famous example was the British Chiropractic Association's lawsuit against a science writer who said there was no evidence that chiropractic worked in treating illness. His piece reflected mainstream scientific opinion and had plenty of research to back it up, but the BCA was still permitted to sue. They eventually dropped the case, but not after forcing the writer to spend two years in court and costing him £20,000 in legal fees.

Thanks to the SPEECH Act of 2010, American authors are now protected against foreign libel judgments if these are found to infringe on their First Amendment rights. Publishers, however, are still exposed to danger, since most publishers are multinational businesses and will release books in a particular country through their local unit. Publishers therefore often choose not to release works in the UK rather than risk a long and expensive suit. (The laws they are afraid of actually apply only in England and Wales, not the whole UK, but there is no practical way to release material in Scotland and Northern Ireland without its crossing the borders.) A recent book about Scientology wasn't released in the UK for the same reason, and the National Enquirer's website is blocked here.

Never followed her case. Watching her interview on cnn and Im not sure what to think.

Same for me. I know details of the case but don't know why some people are convinced she's guilty. I don't have an opinion because I just don't know! But there is definitely something odd about her but that doesn't make her a killer. I wish I had an opinion. But I am glad that the man that admitted to some people and had DNA all over is in jail. There is some justice. I don't know about the other 2.

For goodness sake, now she she is saying she was targeted for being a 'white woman'?
Give me strength...

Right. English libel law is extremely heavily weighted in favour of the plaintiff, and it is possible to bring -- and sometimes even win -- libel suits that would be thrown out of court in any other Western country. The rich and powerful often take advantage of this to try to shut up critics. One famous example was the British Chiropractic Association's lawsuit against a science writer who said there was no evidence that chiropractic worked in treating illness. His piece reflected mainstream scientific opinion and had plenty of research to back it up, but the BCA was still permitted to sue. They eventually dropped the case, but not after forcing the writer to spend two years in court and costing him £20,000 in legal fees.

Thanks to the SPEECH Act of 2010, American authors are now protected against foreign libel judgments if these are found to infringe on their First Amendment rights. Publishers, however, are still exposed to danger, since most publishers are multinational businesses and will release books in a particular country through their local unit. Publishers therefore often choose not to release works in the UK rather than risk a long and expensive suit. (The laws they are afraid of actually apply only in England and Wales, not the whole UK, but there is no practical way to release material in Scotland and Northern Ireland without its crossing the borders.) A recent book about Scientology wasn't released in the UK for the same reason, and the National Enquirer's website is blocked here.

Well they could also be being respectful to the victims. Who knows?

Hey Gecko - I don't see the connection between the UK's defamation laws and victims.... ? (except that their laws do create an atomosphere of economic vicitimization).

UK's defamation laws are very antiquated - Originally created to protect the "gentry" from accusations by "commoners", the law has come under fire recently and parliament is working on updating it.

If someone launches a defamation claim against you in the UK - you will be facing unlimited legal expenses and years in court to try and prove you didn't defame. The plaintiff doesn't have to prove anything. They just have to make the accusation.

"English defamation law puts the burden of proof on the defendant, rather than the plaintiff, and is considered an impediment to free speech in much of the developed world. In many cases of libel tourism, plaintiffs sue in England to censor critical works when their home countries would reject the case outright. In the United States, the 2010 SPEECH Act makes foreign libel judgements unenforceable in US courts if they don't comply with US free speech law, largely in response to the English laws.[5]"

English defamation law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is not the first time a publisher chooses not to release an auto or biographical work in the UK. It's pretty common for business reasons.

I suppose a large multinational publisher owned by Rupert Murdoch could be forgoing potential profits out of fear that their product would cause distress. But I wouldn't bet on it.

I tried reading Preston's Monster of Florence book a couple of years ago. I couldn't get past all that seedy cafe and smoking and sneaking around stuff in the first 50 pages of the book. The book seemed to be going in circles ... going no where. One thing that I do clearly understand about Preston and the Monster of Florence murder investigation was that Preston was interfering in the investigation. When he was interviewed by the prosecutor's office due to this interference, he got rather upset ... and thus the book. I have to wonder what he expected would happen if he went to a foreign country and interfered with an ongoing serial murder investigation.

okay so I keep asking myself this , so in an effort to find the truth, I hope no one is offended...but i feel like amanda has still not adequately explained her wrongful imprisonment of her boss,

she could for instance say her decision was based on his race, and that she thought they would believe that a black man had done this...which they did...

so maybe if she could be truthful, then she could be believed, but I am having problems with her, even tho I was a staunch defender....

she is annoyingly difficult...no one can know or understand her pain, in ths she is above and beyond others,

she had to defend herself in prison by throwing up her hands and yelling "I am not attacking you"

really? in prison here, that will just get you your teeth knocked out...I know it was so traumatic....for her, being forced to talk about sex in italian.

I think " I am not attacking you "sounds like something Merideth could have said.

I didn't like amanda in the interview, I didin't like her angelic self important suffering routine...

and the way she stalled, about her hands, even though she made no attempt to cover all the scabs and broken skin.

she should say she got what she deserved for implicating Lumbada

I just watched part of this interview and something about it makes me feel very uncomfortable. Are all of her answers so carefully rehearsed that it kind of sends up red flags? Something is off about it ... can't put my finger on it though.

It's odd that there is a film clip showing the police breaking the door's window in a different apartment when talking about the flat where Meredith was murdered ... strikes me as having an element of propaganda in the reporting.

I like how Knox says that everyone reacts differently to grief. The first time I heard those words, they were uttered by Mark Geragos as he attempted to excuse Scott Peterson's non-challant reaction to his wife's disappearance (he was convicted of the murder).

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/05/01/amanda-knox-interview-diane-sawyer/

Interesting article comparing Knox's own words ... given at separate time. There are conflicts in critical details.

"In the letters, Knox says that on the day Kercher's body was discovered she looked through the keyhole of the British student's locked door and saw her purse on the bed. In her memoir, Knox says she tried to look through the keyhole, but saw nothing."

"In a letter to her lawyers, Knox says the police gave her time to write a statement, while in her memoir she says they rushed her. The letters say she was "checked out by medics", an incident that becomes "the most dehumanizing degrading experience I had ever been through" in her memoir."

"Describing an interview with police in Capanne prison in December 2007 she says it was attended by the prosecutor, her interpreter, two police and her two attorneys. But there was another person there – a third attorney named Giancarlo Costa. He was the first lawyer to represent her, but later left the case. Costa has confirmed he was present at the interview and his name is read out in the audio recording of the interrogation. Why would Knox remember so many details but leave him out?"

"Fine points such as these can make or break a case in a court of law, but in the court of public opinion, perhaps they don't matter."

http://www.theweek.co.uk/crime/amanda-knox/52801/amanda-knox-memoir-omissions-and-discrepancies

What an odd remark from Amanda, in response to her behavior at the police station.

""I suspect that Raffaele thought I was having a breakdown," Knox wrote. "He sat me in his lap and bounced me gently. He kissed me, made faces at me, and told me jokes, all in an effort to soothe my agitation, babying me so I would stop storming around. I cringe to say that treating me like an infant helped. Normally, it would have repelled me. But at the time it worked."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/amanda-knox-top-10-points-raised-questions-murder/story?id=19074897#2

She is odd. Even if you don't know all the details about the case, it is not so difficult to spot that Knox is lying. She is not doing herself any favors with the book tour IMO.

Eyes for Lies - Comparing Knox with Travis Forbes (murdered Kenia Monge)
Amanda Knox Answering Key Questions - YouTube

Bill Maher - "Your answers are disturbingly Clintonesque, Amanda. I thought you were innocent but lets just say if I were Diane Sawyer I wouldn't sit quite so close."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD5n8AUHNHg

Anonymous - Amanda Knox's Lies - Lie to me (Micro expressions)
Amanda Knox's Lies - Lie to me (Micro expressions) - YouTube

She is odd. Even if you don't know all the details about the case, it is not so difficult to spot that Knox is lying. She is not doing herself any favors with the book tour IMO.

Eyes for Lies - Comparing Knox with Travis Forbes (murdered Kenia Monge)
Amanda Knox Answering Key Questions - YouTube

Bill Maher - "Your answers are disturbingly Clintonesque, Amanda. I thought you were innocent but lets just say if I were Diane Sawyer I wouldn't sit quite so close."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD5n8AUHNHg

Anonymous - Amanda Knox's Lies - Lie to me (Micro expressions)
Amanda Knox's Lies - Lie to me (Micro expressions) - YouTube

Sorry Sherlockh - someone thinking this girl is "odd" has nothing to do with whether or not she murdered Meredith Kercher. It's just the same ole, same ole "lets slander the accused cause they've been accused". Some people's idea of a interesting hobby.

I'm personally highly disturbed by the amount of character assassination that's presented as if it's a smoking gun. It's not.

She's just better educated and a slightly better actress than Jodi.
She does fool me;)

Jodi Arias prints and DNA were found in blood, concurrent with the murder scene - which took place in a room that was locked and remained sealed after the murder until discovery. Other evidence shows she was there just before the murder, during the murder and shortly after the murder. She confessed (eventually) to killing Travis Alexander.

Rudy Guede's prints and DNA were found in blood concurrent with the murder scene - which took place in a room that was locked and remained sealed after the murder until discovery. Other evidence shows he was there just before the murder, during the murder and shortly after the murder. He confessed (much more quickly) to killing and robbing Meredith Kercher.

Amanda Knox lived in the cottage where Meredith was killed. Neither her DNA nor her prints were found anywhere within the sealed, locked room, nor in, nor around the blood, nor on the body. No other evidence shows that she was there just prior to the murder, during the murder or after the murder. She did not confess and maintains her innocence.

The guilty should be guilty. Not the other way around.

Sorry Sherlockh - someone thinking this girl is "odd" has nothing to do with whether or not she murdered Meredith Kercher. It's just the same ole, same ole "lets slander the accused cause they've been accused". Some people's idea of a interesting hobby.

I'm personally highly disturbed by the amount of character assassination that's presented as if it's a smoking gun. It's not.
Who says 'odd' is the smoking gun? That she is lying is a different story though. That is a bit more than just a smoking gun. She puts herself out there while her trial is ongoing. Of course people are gonna see her for what she really is. A cold blooded murderer without a single sign of remorse IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth