Penalty Phase #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
While Nurmi's hissy fit was embarrassing and fun to watch, I still think the cause for it was his out of control client. Even at this stage, she is still running the show and he is fed up but there is nothing he can do at this point but file these motions. If he could have up and walked out of the courtroom today and said, I QUIT!, I think he would have. Wilmott looked like she wanted to be anywhere but in that courtroom today. I just hope and pray this circus is done tomorrow.

I think her friend backed out because she refused to implicate herself to save jodi, she was fine testifying up until the questions about her and jodis drug use came into play, when juan brought up the pics she sold and didn't report she had to make a choice and she chose herself. Nurmis attack on the judge today was something else, he basically accused her in her courtroom. I hope he has a review with a diciplinary board, he was out of line today.

When JA was testifying about Darryl, didn't she slip in he was an alcoholic and a heavy smoker? The way she threw him under the bus, can't believe he would agree to speak in her defense. I think she has something on him which is why he agreed to testify.

She has dirt on him. Probably threatened to leak about the penis pictures. There has to be some reason he was still dealing with her. To me, he would have stayed far away from this due to his son but she used something to rope him into it.

I'm asking questions about this because I don't normally watch this phase of a trial. I have no idea what's happening. I assumed since Travis' family wasn't questioned, Jodi's family wouldn't be questioned. I assumed ALL of the people speaking, no matter what side, were able to just make impact statements.

I did not know that it was different for the victims' families versus the defendants loved ones making statements.

The defendants witnesses will be testifying and subject to cross and jury questions, just like any other witness.

TA family members only talked about the ramification of Travis death on their own life and the family. They didn't talk about giving her death or anything "legal".

DB said he was close to asking her to marrying him, but he didn't want to have kids because it would take away from the first kid.

I can imagine that when she figured that out, that's when she jumped straight into PPL and this Mormon thing. She knew Darryl would always put his son first, even before her, and so she had to leave him to find someone who'd make her the center of the universe. I believe JM when he said she thought she'd get that in mormon husband.

But how did she get involved in PPL? She met Travis at a PPL conference. So she was already involved in that before he was in the picture.

Love your new avatar! You remind me of Marianne Faithfull :rocker:

I had to change mine now! lol

That means their argument about intimidation is bogus. And they know it.

Womack backed out because she could NOT say Jodi had a horrible childhood thus blowing the "family abandonment" claim out the window. They didn't like what was gonna be left standing once she actually withstood cross.

So then I think they just decided to choreograph this strategy- they being Jodi and Nurmi IMO. And they called in their little media friend to make it happen. How many times have we heard Nurmi claim the jury is watching the media in this trial? And so they put Brewer out there, the very night before jury will deliberate, with no cross, with soft ball questions orchestrated by Michael Kiefer. It's so obvious I'm surprised it took me this long to figure it out.

The interview was totally scripted, possibly by both Nurmi and MK .. designed to hit on mitigators they were too scared to put out there in open court (because Juan would have shot them to pieces), but that they hope the jury will see. I suspect Jodi has a drug past and both Daryl and Patti could have been made to discuss it on cross. So Nurmi puts forth 8 mitigators, and we all wonder why he doesn't include BPD, and then at the 11th hour he pulls the mitigation witnesses, and has DB hit the media and discuss Jodi's mental state for the most part. Cunning, is a word that springs to mind.

You got it Mrs. N. MK has been working w/for the defense throughout this trial. He somehow just managed to "get" this interview right after Brewer mysteriously was "stalled"? (note how that was never asked and answered- why he wasn't testifying-no "intimidation" there).

it's one thing for unscrupulous desperate defense attorneys to pull this Hail Mary crap. ANother altogether for a local reporter aiding and abetting it.

Were the LDS meeting with her at DB/Jodi's home?

DB's giving a timeline, carefully omitting stuff that makes him look bad. Pretty much what anyone does. Not placing blame just not telling the whole story. Jodi begins LDS study in Spring '06.

Jodi gives another timeline, saying Travis gives her the 'Book of Mormon' and sets up LDS visits to her home. She says Sept.

I believe DB's timeline. The interview has made me curious, though, about the little details he's left out to help his friend.

DB said he was close to asking her to marrying him, but he didn't want to have kids because it would take away from the first kid.

I can imagine that when she figured that out, that's when she jumped straight into PPL and this Mormon thing. She knew Darryl would always put his son first, even before her, and so she had to leave him to find someone who'd make her the center of the universe. I believe JM when he said she thought she'd get that in mormon husband.

But how did she get involved in PPL? She met Travis at a PPL conference. So she was already involved in that before he was in the picture.

I did not find that comment credible AT ALL but something he/they thought might make her look more likeable/human somehow.

Travis did not introduce her to PPL. It was someone she knew when she lived with DB when she was waitressing. She started with PPL in Feb. 2006 or thereabouts. Way before she knew TA.

Ok I think I've gotten today figured out now.

I think they NEVER intended, after last week, to put on any mitigation witnesses. I think they knew the risk that would occur during cross would be more devastating than these "nobodys" in terms of Arias could do to help her (esp w/ her own family sitting in there oddly mute in front of the jury).

I believe they knew there was no way they'd get a mistrial out of this.

I believe they in some kind of desperate last min move, decided to throw themselves under the bus to set up an ineffective counsel appeal (that won't work). From what I've seen, it doesn't appear Willmott was thrilled about this last strategy which could have been cooked up by Jodi herself!

I do not think that Daryl Brewer belived he'd be testifying torday. I don't think the interview done with him was any accident. I think that was also totally cued up and ready to fire. That was Michael Kiefer speaking to him in the background who got his pal Lin Sue Cooney to do the front of camera stuff. This was not done for HER news station but HIS (AZ CEntral, an extension of the NEWSPAPER). Kiefer's trying to distance himself but I believe, based on all I know, that he was hipped up to this before court today and ready to go with his "interview" of Darryl Brewer.

I think this was all carefully choreographed. I think the defense decided to launch Brewer's "testimony" via Kiefer hoping the jurors might see it without him having to be cross examined.

I do think it was that well thought out/planned.
Including Nurmi's faux outrage and temper tantrum.

Am I the only one who feels like they were administered a freakin' MENTAL WEDGIE today?

Were the LDS meeting with her at DB/Jodi's home?

DB's giving a timeline, carefully omitting stuff that makes him look bad. Pretty much what anyone does. Not placing blame just not telling the whole story. Jodi begins LDS study in Spring '06.

Jodi gives another timeline, saying Travis gives her the 'Book of Mormon' and sets up LDS visits to her home. She says Sept.

I believe DB's timeline. The interview has made me curious, though, about the little details he's left out to help his friend.

There was confusion about that when DB was on the stand. JM was trying to pin down when the LDS visitors had really been there. I was confused by the significance. Probably because I don't know a lot of the exact details of before and around the time Travis started dating his murderer.

You got it Mrs. N. MK has been working w/for the defense throughout this trial. He somehow just managed to "get" this interview right after Brewer mysteriously was "stalled"? (note how that was never asked and answered- why he wasn't testifying-no "intimidation" there).

it's one thing for unscrupulous desperate defense attorneys to pull this Hail Mary crap. ANother altogether for a local reporter aiding and abetting it.

MK seems to be working more as an advocate than a reporter at this stage, although his editor would not be displeased about this 'scoop'.

Also, it's ridiculous to suggest that DB lived with JA for four years and didn't see any signs of mental distress or violence when plenty of other people have mentioned incidents including her own parents.

Yes, I think you are right. Read the accompanying article .. Michael Kiefer says DB contacted them, but it does seem coincidental since he has been pro DT throughout this case, his bias may be related to his dislike of the DP.

Brewer contacted The Republic Monday afternoon, when he realized he would not be able to say his piece in court.

I don't believe that .. the interview was already set to go IMO.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/20130520jodi-arias-ex-boyfriend-speaks.html

Thanks so much Mrs G Norris & Great Teamwork, Fellow Sleuthers !!! This is what it is all about - no matter religion or political beliefs - We all can work together...

:drumroll:

Even if some of the jurors did happen to see DB's 'testimony' on tv tonight, it won't change anything, imo.

I did not find that comment credible AT ALL but something he/they thought might make her look more likeable/human somehow.

I don't see how that makes her be seen in a good light. Anyone who knows she's manipulative could take that statement and run with it, just as I did. DB made a selfish statement, but it was one that gave me more of an understanding of her motive to hop to the next man.

If Brewer contacted them, he did so when he was suited up and ready to head over for the interview in the prescribed space. This was planned and a total set up. It's so completely transparent to me knowing everything I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member