Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
They question was asked by juror # 18- "what if"

She answered his question as though they had not agreed BUT his question was "WHAT IF"

Welcome to Websleuths! Thanks for this post.

Can someone please post again a link to watch HLN online via live stream?

Thank you!

OT; A dear friend of mine went in for surgery today and something happened with her lungs and she is now in ICU.....I am asking for everyone to please please pray for her right now....her name is Elizabeth.....thank you

I don't usually post but snuck in here from work to see if a verdict was reached -- perhaps this has been asked or stated but do you think perhaps the Jury hadn't reached a verdict and have just been reviewing the mitigating factors presented to them and before they actually take a vote just wanted to clarify what would happen if they were unable they were unable to reach an unanimous vote? Am I just grasping at straws or is this possible?
BBM
This, exactly.

Since my husband is the baker, he bakes and I .... eat. Sit at the computer, on Websleuths, forking cake and stuffing cookies down my gullet.

I so fat!

Bombarding you with brain rays, jury! Do the right thing!

hey, post some food *advertiser censored*.
some of us get off on that.

Jury having difficulty reaching verdict, so seems likely, imo, that it is one of 2 things.

Maybe one /a few/ some members think one of the mit/factors ---her lack of criminal history (?) -- is sufficient to override /outweigh the premed/felony murder and the aggravating factor --extreme cruelty.

Maybe this line of thinking:
In Dec. in answering jury questionnaire, this juror said, yes, could impose DP, was thinking about criminals like ---
---the BTK, Bind, Torture, Kill murderer, (Dennis Rader*, killed 10 people in Wichita, KS area) and
--- the GreenRiver Killer (Gary Ridgeway* killed 40+ in Seattle, WA area).

So despite JA's cruel, premeditated murder of Travis, it just doesn't reach this juror's personal threshhold for the imposing DP which would be used only on a criminal convicted of 10 or 25+ murders, not just one.

Imo, since juror said he/she could impose DP, there's no other explanation for a juror not to do so, in the case.

* FYI, neither of these two recvd DP. BTKserving 10 consec. life sentences. GrnRiver serving LWOP. See wiki.

================================================
The mit/factors, other than lack of CrimHist, are all light and fluffy.
And from seeing JA lie on the stand (gas cans, hacking Travis's email, facebook, etc), I'd say its not lack of CrimHist, it's lack of convictions.

1. Age = 27 ………………………………...........
2. Lack of Criminal History……………………??DT argued, JA never killed before?????
3. A Good Friend …………………………………
4. Lacked Support from Family……………..….
5a. Suffered Abuse & Neglect as Child ……….
5b. Suffered Abuse & Neglect as Adult ………..
6. Tried to Make the Best of her Life …………
7. Consistently Tried to Improve Herself………
8. Talented Artist ………………………………..

Can anyone confirm that only the foreperson can submit questions or that the foreperson must sign questions for the judge?

http://www.azcourts.gov/juryduty/JuryServiceWhattoExpect.aspx

Conduct in the Jury Room
Upon retiring to the jury room to deliberate, the jury selects a foreperson. It is the foreperson's duty to act as the presiding officer, to see that the jury's deliberations are conducted in an orderly fashion, and to see that the issues submitted for the jury's consideration are fully and fairly discussed and that every juror has a chance to say what he/she thinks about every question. When ballots or votes should be taken, the foreperson should see that this is done. The foreperson should sign any written request made of the judge. A good foreperson can keep the discussion organized, save time and get efficient results.

more at link

Can the alternate's be brought in and replace the hold outs??? I remember in the scott peterson case a few (?) couldn't decide and the alnternate's were brought in. Maybe I am wrong, that was a long time ago and my memory is not really clear on that now. Anybody else remember ?

PLEASE READ THIS AND BREEEEEAAAATHE
http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/free/20130522jodi-arias-jury-deadlocked.html

The jury sent a handwritten note on an official question form to the judge. It said: “If the jury is unable to come to a unanimous decision @ this stage, do we notify the judge of this on the form (verdict) or do we just tell the judge her instruction on the bottom P. 10 on the final jury Instruction-Penalty phase?”

FINALLY!

Thank you so much!!!!

So it sounds like they could not come to agreement at all.

I am in real nail-biting mode now....my only daughter is in London for the summer - where there was that barbaric attack and now this jury is getting wobbly..... Lord help us!!!

Can't believe she has followers as well as I can't believe the jury can't come to a decision on this...BTW...why doesn't she have to wear prison stripes, since she has been at least convicted...

since it is tough to tell who is male and who is female we are all equal here...:rockon:

True. But it makes it hard when it comes to pronouns. If, for example, I were to say that "Websurfer said in his post a couple of pages back . . ." would I be right or wrong? Maybe you don't care (I wouldn't), but I think it annoys some people.

Mrs G (I always think of the Facts of Life when I see your name :floorlaugh: )

Here's my fave cream cheese + sweet concoction..

can of whole berry cranberry sauce add lil garlic, horseradish & salt spoon over soften Cream Cheese w/ crackers..

Taste fabulous, appears you labored over it for hours but quick & easy holiday pitch in just add box of Sociables to plate & Voila!!

OK. I never told this secret.. keep it on the down low or the folks will find out we are on WS all day not slaving away in kitchen :floorlaugh:

Oh good one!! Saving that for later .. I think I may actually have all those around here somewhere .. :)

JM was very clear that if they could not find "any" mitigating factors they had to come back with a verdict of DP. That is in their instructions and he said it is very clear.

Anyone know until what time will the jury be deliberating?

Right up until they send JSKS another note saying that there are still a few idiots who don't know the difference between felony murder and jaywalking.

Oh, you meant today!

I think until 4:30 or so AZ Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members