GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are in such a hard and unfair position. Priscilla certainly needs and deserves love & support right now but providing her with that doesn't mean that you have to say only the things that she wants to hear (I don't mean you should go behind her back and spill all here). Sometimes hearing the hard truth from someone that you know loves you no matter what is what it takes to move to a healthier state. P needs to know that even if her son is guilty that doesn't mean that she has to turn her back on him. Continuing to love I and seek help for him doesn't diminish her love for L or make her grief any less valid.
Thank you..for now I'm just listening and hugging..when the time is right I will drop some reality on her..she will cry...and I will hug her some more..I just want it known, that I will not defend her blindly. She's created SOME of her own problems..BUT a few she most definately has NOT...

Thank you..for now I'm just listening and hugging..when the time is right I will drop some reality on her..she will cry...and I will hug her some more..I just want it known, that I will not defend her blindly. She's created SOME of her own problems..BUT a few she most definately has NOT...

You're a really wonderful friend. :)

You are in such a hard and unfair position. Priscilla certainly needs and deserves love & support right now but providing her with that doesn't mean that you have to say only the things that she wants to hear (I don't mean you should go behind her back and spill all here). Sometimes hearing the hard truth from someone that you know loves you no matter what is what it takes to move to a healthier state. P needs to know that even if her son is guilty that doesn't mean that she has to turn her back on him. Continuing to love I and seek help for him doesn't diminish her love for L or make her grief any less valid.
Very well said. Thank you.

I agree with the others, you are a great friend and I wish everyone had a friend like you. The friends I have chosen to be a constant in my life are not the ones that always agree with me but that insist I look beyond what I see, debate situations, and always, always tell me the truth as they see it. Without that I couldn't have grown into the person I am today.
I've worked with a lot of people in my life, and just from knowing what I have read so far I feel like I can see the handwriting on the wall of what has and is still happening between these parents. Would love to be wrong as it hurts more than just one person.
Thank you for being here.
MOO

I will attempt to offer some clarification of diagnoses available to psychiatrists for children under the age of 18. First, there is oppositional defiant disorder generally a diagnosis for children under the age of 13. Next is conduct disorder which is used for children from 13 to 17. A set of criteria must be met in order to make either of these diagnoses.
These disorders and sociopathy can be found in the DSM-5 although I do not have a link it.

Conduct Disorder

•mental disorder
•Attention-Deficit and Disruptive Behavior Disorders

This mental disorder may be diagnosed when a child seriously misbehaves with aggressive or nonaggressive behaviors against people, animals or property that may be characterized as belligerent, destructive, threatening, physically cruel, deceitful, disobedient, or dishonest. This may include stealing, intentional injury, and forced sexual activity.

Diagnostic criteria for 312.8 Conduct Disorder

(DSM IV - TR)

(cautionary statement)

(new code as of 10/01/96: 312.xx)

A. A repetitive and persistent pattern of behavior in which the basic rights of others or major age-appropriate societal norms or rules are violated, as manifested by the presence of three (or more) of the following criteria in the past 12 months, with at least one criterion present in the past 6 months:

Aggression to people and animals

(1) often bullies, threatens, or intimidates others
(2) often initiates physical fights
(3) has used a weapon that can cause serious physical harm to others (e.g., abat, brick, broken bottle, knife, gun)
(4) has been physically cruel to people
(5) has been physically cruel to animals
(6) has stolen while confronting a victim (e.g., mugging, purse snatching, extortion, armed robbery)
(7) has forced someone into sexual activity

Destruction of property

(8) has deliberately engaged in fire setting with the intention of causing serious damage
(9) has deliberately destroyed others' property (other than by fire setting)

Deceitfulness or theft

(10) has broken into someone else's house, building, or car
(11) often lies to obtain goods or favors or to avoid obligations (i.e., "cons" others)
(12) has stolen items of nontrivial value without confronting a victim (e.g., shoplifting, but without breaking and entering; forgery)

Serious violations of rules

(13) often stays out at night despite parental prohibitions, beginning before age 13 years
(14) has run away from home overnight at least twice while living in parental or parental surrogate home (or once without returning for a lengthy period)
(15) is often truant from school, beginning before age 13 years

B. The disturbance in behavior causes clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning.

C. If the individual is age 18 years or older, criteria are not met for Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Specify type based on age at onset:

Childhood-Onset Type: onset of at least one criterion characteristic of Conduct Disorder prior to age 10 years (new code as of 10/01/96: 312.81)

Adolescent-Onset Type: absence of any criteria characteristic of Conduct Disorder prior to age 10 years (new code as of 10/01/96: 312.82)

(new code as of 10/01/96: 312.89 Unspecified Onset)

Specify severity:

Mild: few if any conduct problems in excess of those required to make the diagnosis and conduct problems cause only minor harm to others

Moderate: number of conduct problems and effect on others intermediate between "mild" and "severe"

Severe: many conduct problems in excess of those required to make the diagnosis or conduct problems cause considerable harm to others

Reprinted with permission from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders

Oppositional Defiant Disorder

•mental disorder
•Attention-Deficit and Disruptive Behavior Disorders

If a child's problem behaviors do not meet the criteria for Conduct Disorder, but involve a pattern of defiant, angry, antagonistic, hostile, irritable, or vindictive this mental disorder of childhood may be diagnosed. These children may blame others for their problems.

Diagnostic criteria for 313.81 Oppositional Defiant Disorder

(DSM IV - TR)

(cautionary statement)

A. A pattern of negativistic, hostile, and defiant behavior lasting at least 6 months, during which four (or more) of the following are present:

(1) often loses temper
(2) often argues with adults
(3) often actively defies or refuses to comply with adults' requests or rules
(4) often deliberately annoys people
(5) often blames others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior
(6) is often touchy or easily annoyed by others
(7) is often angry and resentful
(8) is often spiteful or vindictive
Note: Consider a criterion met only if the behavior occurs more frequently than is typically observed in individuals of comparable age and developmental level.

B. The disturbance in behavior causes clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning.

C. The behaviors do not occur exclusively during the course of a Psychotic or Mood Disorder.

D. Criteria are not met for Conduct Disorder, and, if the individual is age 18 years or older, criteria are not met for Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Reprinted with permission from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision. Copyright 2000 American Psychiatric Association

Older criteria for this diagnosis

See also:

•Antisocial Personality Disorder
•ODD

Movies

- Choose - The Kid with a Bike We Need to Talk About Kevin

Share this with

inShare.

Opinion

•05/22/2013 - Records Releases: Read Before You Sign
•05/21/2013 - DSM-5: Courtroom Folly?
•05/16/2013 - Vermont Medical Board Goes Overboard
•05/09/2013 - Are These Buprenorphine Appropriateness Criteria Inappropriate?
•05/02/2013 - These criteria are obsolete!

Daily Tweets

CNS Drug: #CNSDOD
Notable Person: #BHCPOD
Phobia: #BNphobia
Term: #BHCTOD

National Conference Tweetchats

5/18-22: APA Annual Meeting
#APAAM13
5/28-31: NCDEU
#NCDEU2013

Glossaries

►Addiction

Autism
Disability
ECT
Forensic
HIPAA
Memory
OCD
Pharmacology
Psychopathology
►Psychotherapy

Reimbursement
►Sleep Medicine

Stuttering
TMS
VNS

Sorry for the long posts. I do not know how to copy part of an article. Also, these are diagnoses from the DSM-4. The DSM-5 is being debated at this point by the psychiatric community.

You don't have to defend P to us. She is your friend and that is all that matters. You're a good friend and you will know when the time is right to help lead her out of the denial she is likely using to cope right now. Until then just keep doing what you're doing.

It's a thin line but seeking justice for L doesn't have to mean campaigning for I to be sent away forever. If I is sick, and I believe this child is more troubled than evil, then getting him help so he can live a life that honors his sister would be justice for L. Sometimes we get a little carried away here, especially when the victim is a child, and start calling for the killer to be burnt at the stake but that isn't always justice.

It may be hard for P, B & C to open up their lives to the criticism that will come but if they want to help I then eventually they are going to have to own up to the dysfunction and chaos that ultimately helped create a very troubled little boy. I can't imagine that the signs weren't there but when the adults are focused on besting each other a lot of things can go unnoticed or even worse unaddressed for fear of the other parent using it against you or to maintain the perfect family image.

I will attempt to offer some clarification of diagnoses available to psychiatrists for children under the age of 18. First, there is oppositional defiant disorder generally a diagnosis for children under the age of 13. Next is conduct disorder which is used for children from 13 to 17. A set of criteria must be met in order to make either of these diagnoses.
These disorders and sociopathy can be found in the DSM-5 although I do not have a link it.

There are other diagnoses as well besides just those two, for example, childhood schizophrenia

Childhood schizophrenia is essentially the same as schizophrenia in adults, but it occurs early in life — sometimes even before the teen years — and has a profound impact on a child's behavior.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/childhood-schizophrenia/DS00868

The psychiatrist may first diagnose your child with a nonspecific psychotic disorder, rather than schizophrenia. As thinking and behavior patterns and symptoms become more clear over time, a diagnosis of schizophrenia may be made if the criteria are met.

Diagnostic criteria for childhood schizophrenia are generally the same as for adult schizophrenia and include:

Presence of at least two of these: delusions, hallucinations, disorganized speech, disorganized or catatonic behavior, lack of emotion, social withdrawal, inability to carry out routine daily tasks such as dressing and bathing
Failure to achieve the expected level of academic, social or work performance
Signs last for at least six months
Other mental health disorders have been ruled out

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/childhood-schizophrenia/DS00868/DSECTION=tests-and-diagnosis

What mental health conditions affect children?

Children can experience a range of mental health conditions, including:

Anxiety disorders. Children who have anxiety disorders — such as obsessive compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, social phobia and generalized anxiety disorder — experience anxiety as a persistent problem that interferes with their daily activities.
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). This condition typically includes a combination of issues, such as difficulty sustaining attention, hyperactivity and impulsive behavior.

Autism. Autism is one of a group of serious developmental problems called autism spectrum disorders that appear in early childhood — usually before age 3. Though symptoms and severity vary, all autism disorders affect a child's ability to communicate and interact with others.

Eating disorders. Eating disorders — such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge-eating disorder — are serious conditions. Children can become so preoccupied with food and weight that they focus on little else.

Mood disorders. Mood disorders — such as depression and bipolar disorder — can cause a child to feel persistent feelings of sadness or extreme mood swings.

Schizophrenia. This chronic mental illness causes a child to lose touch with reality (psychosis).

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mental-illness-in-children/MY01915

What mental health conditions affect children?

Children can experience a range of mental health conditions, including:

Anxiety disorders. Children who have anxiety disorders — such as obsessive compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, social phobia and generalized anxiety disorder — experience anxiety as a persistent problem that interferes with their daily activities.
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). This condition typically includes a combination of issues, such as difficulty sustaining attention, hyperactivity and impulsive behavior.

Autism. Autism is one of a group of serious developmental problems called autism spectrum disorders that appear in early childhood — usually before age 3. Though symptoms and severity vary, all autism disorders affect a child's ability to communicate and interact with others.

Eating disorders. Eating disorders — such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge-eating disorder — are serious conditions. Children can become so preoccupied with food and weight that they focus on little else.

Mood disorders. Mood disorders — such as depression and bipolar disorder — can cause a child to feel persistent feelings of sadness or extreme mood swings.

Schizophrenia. This chronic mental illness causes a child to lose touch with reality (psychosis).

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mental-illness-in-children/MY01915

You are totally correct. My attempt was only to enumerate typical disorders that may lead to an adult diagnosis of sociopathy.

All this psychoanalysis is making me want to unsubscribe from this thread.

Me too. I'm not sure why "we" are trying to armchair diagnosis a young child that we know next to nothing about and is too young to be labeled with half the crap being thrown at him.

It would be much easier to diagnosis some of the adults in this child's life because they have proudly put their narcissism on public display.

Mark J. Reichel ‏@reichellaw 18 May
Valley Springs walking the murder scene, talking with witnesses. Justice doesn't get Saturdays off. With John Kennedy investigations.

Not sure if this was posted; I've been occupied with the Moore tornado disaster.

Mark J. Reichel ‏@reichellaw 18 May
Valley Springs walking the murder scene, talking with witnesses. Justice doesn't get Saturdays off. With John Kennedy investigations.

Not sure if this was posted; I've been occupied with the Moore tornado disaster.

I want to know how "justice" got a law degree because this guy is a clown. What kind of lawyer tweets stuff like this?

Me too. I'm not sure why "we" are trying to armchair diagnosis a young child that we know next to nothing about and is too young to be labeled with half the crap being thrown at him.

It would be much easier to diagnosis some of the adults in this child's life because they have proudly put their narcissism on public display.

No you couldn't "diagnosis some of the adults in this child's life". You've only guesses on how the family dynamics work. Further, a REAL (and not a "made up") diagnosis of anything (such as narcissism) takes a lot more than a few public statements after a major trauma. And I can hardly say what has been "displayed in public" to be "proudly displayed".

No you couldn't "diagnosis some of the adults in this child's life". You've only guesses on how the family dynamics work. Further, a REAL (and not a "made up") diagnosis of anything (such as narcissism) takes a lot more than a few public statements after a major trauma. And I can hardly say what has been "displayed in public" to be "proudly displayed".

If I post something on a completely open Facebook then you can assume that I am proudly displaying it. If the "face" I am so proudly displaying in that way is unflattering at best and bordering on something much worse then you can guarantee that the "face" I hide behind closed doors is much worse. If I'm raising kids in that environment then you can be assured that my kids deserve much better.

I need to figure out what I can/can't share.. or rather should or should'nt.

:sigh:Since as we know, Im completely biased. That, and knowing the P/B relationship history. It's a tough spot to be in because im torn between what my logic tells me, and being supportive to P..no matter what she believes...

I would let her realize the truth at her own pace... and support her along the way.

This mother has both fought for justice for her daughter and treatment for her son.
She has also fought for him to remain incarcerated because she believes he's still a danger.

http://www.theellafoundation.com/biography/charity-lee/

The thread here on this case with more links:

2007: 4-year-old fatally stabbed; 13 yr old brother arrested - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I would read about her... and maybe even contact her for advice on how to support Priscilla. :twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd