Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had understood if you have a moral or religious objection to the dp then you would not be able to be dp qualified as you would not be able to render that verdict if need be.

Interesting that it does not work that way!

K

They can be played in court. I hope they play the one where she says she is not dangerous unless someone attacks her again... ;)

I saw the foreman this morning on GMA and was stunned to hear he thinks she was abused. THERE was NOOOOOO evidence of that.

None.

I hope today people will honor this jury. I hope they will not disparage or attack them.
They did what they were supposed to. She is Guilty of Murder 1. She is guilty of the Aggravator Extreme Cruelty.

In a lot of states the jury does not decide sentence or even have a change to vote for Death. The big victories were won.

Stand firm for the Alexanders. They need us!

Morning!!! WOW!!! is it true that a juror was crying & apologized to ,Alexander family after they were dismissed??? if so why would anyone do that ? to cause more pain than they already have.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I think it's just what it looks like: At least one juror, who wanted the death penalty, along with seven others, felt bad that the Alexanders would not get what they considered justice, and wanted to express that. I think I would have done the same thing, in their shoes. It probably made them (the Alexanders) feel better, even though it was a small gesture in the face of, in their minds, a giant slap in the face.

It's not surprising :moo: that 12 people, after agreeing on Murder 1 (thank goodness!) and extreme cruelty (in a couple of hours or less!), couldn't come to a unanimous decision on the death penalty. I guess some think that being in jail for the rest of your natural life is a large enough punishment.

Personally, even though I don't believe in the death penalty - it's more of a spiritual thing, like it's God's place to make those kinds of decisions - I don't think that life in prison is necessarily enough, especially since Little Missy seems to mold her mind to whatever circumstance she's in, to make it "The Jodi Show" and make the best of it. That's why she's got that little Mona Lisa smile all the time! :facepalm:

At least 8 out of the 12 jurors wanted the DP. Now comes the hard part for JM and the family. Do they think they can find a new jury who will go all the way or do they offer a plea for LWOP? I feel so bad for the Alexander Family but if I knew CMJA would spend the rest of her natural life in a cell 23 hours a day, I think I could live with that. I bet the 8 that voted for the DP really are heartbroken too!!

If the foreman believed TA verbally abused JA, this could have been much much worse. The jury could have hung on guilt verdict. Thank God they didn't. That would have scarred me for life and the pain it would have caused the family is unimaginable.

At some point yesterday after the verdict I had to get off the forum. I understand the disappointment, anger and especially sorrow for the Alexanders. But there were a number of posts that were more than that, attacks/namecalling/hate on the jurors. I'm disappointed in that, because I thought this forum was better than that. There are some that are truly treating this like she was aquitted and I'm sorry but I don't understand that frame of mind. The woman was convicted of murder one. The cruelty aspect of it pretty much insures (IMO) that she wouldn't get parole. But reading on here yesterday, I saw comparisons to Casey Anthony. Let me say, Anthony is sipping lattes' right now in the comfort of whatever home she's in. Tell me how that compares to Arias, who at bare minimum will be stuck staring at bars for very likely the rest of her natural life?

I also keep seeing people say 'well they agreed to cruelty, why not dp' and 'they agreed to dp on the juror form'. One has nothing to do with the other IMO. When a juror says they are open to the DP, that means they are open to consider the DP. When the jurors agreed to cruelty, that meant that the crime warrented consideration of the DP, not automatically she deserved the DP.

It very easy and convienent to throw stones and hurl insults at the jurors from the luxury of sitting behind a computer monitor or mobile device when you weren't in that room. Those 4 people believed, in their opinion, that there was mitigating factors and because their opinion doesn't jive with the majority, they all of a sudden are subjected to all sorts of nasty comments. One of these days every one of us will have a strong opinion or conviction that doesn't not agree with the majority, whether that be among a group of friends or a jury deliberation room. I challenge anyone to stand by their convictions, even if others are screaming their head off at them, because it's what they believe. That takes a lot of courage and I applaud all the jurors for taking to time to discuss it and take their time until it was obvious there was no movement.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is something fundamentally wrong with the way this country decides how to determine the DP. Perhaps more scutiny should be directed at that instead of the people who are subjected to the process. It's very easy to say 'why didn't they just cave in and agree' but doing that on a murder conviction versus doing that on a life/death situation is apples and oranges. We are brought up in a society where life is taught to be precious to get some guy/gal off the street and give them the ultimate decision on condemning a person, so matter who it is, is not an easy thing, nor is it an easy decision. Hopefully many people, especially those who want to cast stones, never have to go through that.

Nancy Grace has a Travis button on this morning!!!

There is a reason this is happening. Maybe Travis wants more attention to the male victims of violence by women?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I just read (missed the interview) that he felt TA was mentally abusive to JA.

K

Yes! That is what he said! I wonder if he was one of the holdouts.

I wonder if there was a deal made when the jury FINALLY agreed to murder one. Was there a holdout for that, and they told that holdout that if he/she agreed to murder one, they wouldn't go for the DP.

Perhaps what the speaking juror means about TA being abusive is that TA was stringing JA along. He was seeing other women. He was still talking with JA, still having sex with JA. Once he saw she was not quite right, he should have ended any and all contact. He should have called LE every time he found her stalking or stealing.

However, that doesn't mean he deserved to die, much less in that horrible manner. It just means that juror has either had a psycho GF or he was once in that position himself and understood it as being pushed over the edge.

Well, based on what we're hearing I'd say it's a miracle that this jury found JA guilty of murder one and found it to be especially cruel....grateful for that.

Honestly now I can count no one but the Judge. I hope she does the right thing and makes sure JA never ever gets out.

At some point yesterday after the verdict I had to get off the forum. I understand the disappointment, anger and especially sorrow for the Alexanders. But there were a number of posts that were more than that, attacks/namecalling/hate on the jurors. I'm disappointed in that, because I thought this forum was better than that. There are some that are truly treating this like she was aquitted and I'm sorry but I don't understand that frame of mind. The woman was convicted of murder one. The cruelty aspect of it pretty much insures (IMO) that she wouldn't get parole. But reading on here yesterday, I saw comparisons to Casey Anthony. Let me say, Anthony is sipping lattes' right now in the comfort of whatever home she's in. Tell me how that compares to Arias, who at bare minimum will be stuck staring at bars for very likely the rest of her natural life?

I also keep seeing people say 'well they agreed to cruelty, why not dp' and 'they agreed to dp on the juror form'. One has nothing to do with the other IMO. When a juror says they are open to the DP, that means they are open to consider the DP. When the jurors agreed to cruelty, that meant that the crime warrented consideration of the DP, not automatically she deserved the DP.

It very easy and convienent to throw stones and hurl insults at the jurors from the luxury of sitting behind a computer monitor or mobile device when you weren't in that room. Those 4 people believed, in their opinion, that there was mitigating factors and because their opinion doesn't jive with the majority, they all of a sudden are subjected to all sorts of nasty comments. One of these days every one of us will have a strong opinion or conviction that doesn't not agree with the majority, whether that be among a group of friends or a jury deliberation room. I challenge anyone to stand by their convictions, even if others are screaming their head off at them, because it's what they believe. That takes a lot of courage and I applaud all the jurors for taking to time to discuss it and take their time until it was obvious there was no movement.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is something fundamentally wrong with the way this country decides how to determine the DP. Perhaps more scutiny should be directed at that instead of the people who are subjected to the process. It's very easy to say 'why didn't they just cave in and agree' but doing that on a murder conviction versus doing that on a life/death situation is apples and oranges. We are brought up in a society where life is taught to be precious to get some guy/gal off the street and give them the ultimate decision on condemning a person, so matter who it is, is not an easy thing, nor is it an easy decision. Hopefully many people, especially those who want to cast stones, never have to go through that.
It was hard to watch what happened on here yesterday after the hung jury was announced.

Yes your right, they did convict her of the first two charges. But now the family and everyone involved in this sordid murder will have to go through this all over again. And isn't she still in Estrella until that happens? She is not in her real home??? I don't know, she looked quite elated and with the mounds of evidence, 5 long months, now this.
In my mind all along I was thinking sure case of DP and never thought it would be a hung jury.

I imagine conditions have drastically changed for her even at the jail. She is now a convicted muderer..she should be in max security...

Perhaps what the speaking juror means about TA being abusive is that TA was stringing JA along. He was seeing other women. He was still talking with JA, still having sex with JA. Once he saw she was not quite right, he should have ended any and all contact. He should have called LE every time he found her stalking or stealing.

However, that doesn't mean he deserved to die, much less in that horrible manner. It just means that juror has either had a psycho GF or he was once in that position himself and understood it as being pushed over the edge.

I think you're probably right. But there is so much more to the story. Jodi just wouldn't leave him alone.

Well, I guess everyone (including jurors) will have an opinion. I'm not judging the murdered. I blame the murderer. She had a choice each and every time she drew blood, grabbed the camera for a glamor shot, and then went in for more.

We can attempt to justify CKJE doling out her own little death penalty to Travis for being an alleged "bad boyfriend???" Ummm...no.

I do think that, even here on this forum, we all agreed that TA wasn't always a nice guy and yeah, there were things that could have been done differently by both parties in the relationship.

But even JA in one of her interview rounds said she believed in mercy, yet she gave none. I don't think TA deserved to die, she killed him. Horribly killed him. And lied...over and over and over again.

I think you could be right, some personal experience by some juror has come into play that caused the standoff.

K

Perhaps the only satisfaction with this delay and having to go through the sentencing/penalty phase again is Nurmi wanted off so badly...

:D

Good question regarding both attorneys.

Yeah I have visions of Nurmi in his mind saying...Whiskey. Foxtrot. Tango.
Am I EVER going to be free of this ______.(fill in the blank as you wish )
:anguish: for Nurmi.

:moo::seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members