Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize if this is a duplicate post, but just found this from NBC News:

The potential witness, Patricia Womack, is a childhood friend of Arias who planned to testify about Arias’ abusive childhood. Besides the threats, she said that her heart went out to the family of Travis Alexander, whom Arias was convicted of killing.

“I couldn’t do it,” she told NBC News in an email. “I feel there is so much good in Jodi to be saved but then also someone’s dear life was taken.”

Source: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/20/18376796-character-witness-for-jodi-arias-pulls-out-citing-threats-and-inner-turmoil?lite

Last night on HLN After Dark they also spoke of how CMJA walked to the end of her defense table trying to get the jurors attention as they were led out of the courtroom. Why? to thank them? Obviously, in her twisted mind, she thinks she won. When she finds out the split was 8/4 her narcissism will lead her to believe she can turn 12 around if she gets another chance so I don't see her taking a plea deal. Nope, she wants to stay in the spotlight as long as possible!

I wish GMA had asked the foreman which specific mitigating factor the 4 cited as their reason for sparing her life. I'm just curious..was it the ingenious, original recycling idea, or her getting a haircut, or what?
I'm curious, too, but I can't help but thinking this:
Wonder if anyone was impressed with her plans to teach:
Magazine tracing 101
Conversational Spanish for Arizona prisoners
:floorlaugh:

Emphasis mine.

I agree. I think he was one of the holdouts. I bet many other jurors are not happy that he said that.

I think he was one of the holdouts too, and being the foreman, well that sealed the nondeal. The foreman is supposed to facilitate discussion and I think he allowed them to give up early. No disrespect meant, I could be wrong just my gut feeling.

IMO, that is exactly the kind of parenting that helps create BPD. Inconsistent, disturbed attachement- there for the child 2 times out of 5. So, there for Jodi and concerned for weeks and months of trial, somehow not there the day of her judgement. Messed up.

I agree. Hearing that did give me pause. How in the blue hell can you go sightseeing while your daughter/sister is waiting to hear if she will live or die and that decision can come at any moment? How can you even think of that while you wait? I would be sick, I would be ready at any moment, just like the Alexanders.

Maybe they did it as a ploy though. To push the whole negligent family think. But it would make sense if Jodi's sociopathy/extreme narcissism came about, due to emotional negligence and lack of bonding formed by the parents. It's possible. A combination of nurture and nature. Like, they love her, they just don't do it right?

I apologize if this is a duplicate post, but just found this from NBC News:

The potential witness, Patricia Womack, is a childhood friend of Arias who planned to testify about Arias’ abusive childhood. Besides the threats, she said that her heart went out to the family of Travis Alexander, whom Arias was convicted of killing.

“I couldn’t do it,” she told NBC News in an email. “I feel there is so much good in Jodi to be saved but then also someone’s dear life was taken.”

Source: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/20/18376796-character-witness-for-jodi-arias-pulls-out-citing-threats-and-inner-turmoil?lite

This saddens me to no end. The DT was able to let it out that she received threats but the pros weren't allowed to even let it in that her friend couldn't testify because she felt for the Alexandars. Terrible.

K

I don't disagree. I think that on face value, most don't deal with these kinds of issues or this kind of BD that is JA. Unless you have dealt with someone who is a constant source of problem and countless other things TA dealt with, you really don't know where you will go. He 'said' some not so nice things to her, but we don't know what provoked them. I am assuming the jury did not either and took the 'words' at face value. Which is not what I was hoping they would do.

K

In over 80,000 pieces of correspondence between Jodi and Travis, they wheeled out the same two texts over and over and over again to try and paint him as emotionally abusive, where he was clearly very angry at something she'd done to him. That is not a pattern. That is not abuse. He finally snapped at what she was putting him through. I hope he realizes that but it's hard to change someone's mind after they've made it up.

What also struck me was that the Foreman said he could not believe A YOUNG WOMAN.had done this.

I think that he was swayed by her looks and her presence. I think that he may not have been the only one. He said that he could not believe what she had done..

Thank goodness she took pictures!

I was thinking that if she had stuck to the IT WAS NOT ME story, Even with the evidence she may have gotten off. That scares me.

But we need to remember she was convicted. Focus on that.

I apologize for misquoting him. That was completely MY MISTAKE! IT was an impression not a fact. I am sorry.

Can someone tell me how we know that the split was 8 to 4 on the jury? I missed that and would love to know what the source is for that information. Thanks.

I think there was a juror that was not really dp qualified.H
either he/she just didn't understand it, or he/she lied. My understanding of dp qualified is that even if a person has moral or religious objections to dp, that they would have to put those beliefs aside and follow the law.

Question: will the new jury be able to take Jodi's media interviews into account?
You are correct. I was asked some those same questions before i was picked for DP case in GA.I was able to put the law, facts of the case , and the horrific double murder that was committed before my personal /moals etc .We had one juror who was a holdout saying that she didn't feel right about taking a life. I sent a note to the judge requesting the crime scene photos, displayed ALL of them. We also reminded her why she was picked for this case, and that WE were not giving him death, but that Law deemed he deserved it after that i requested if we could go for a walk to a park near by.it was granted ,we came back took another vote and gave him 2 death penalties + 20 yrs for burglary.

Respectfully snipped...

Cricket49;
I am convinced if they take the DP off the table that JSS WILL sentence Jodi to LWOP! Remember, she watched Jodi's real personality come out every time the jury was not around. Judge Belvin Perry said in a recent interview that he knew Casey Anthony was guilty because she only played a role for the jury. Jodi did the same thing.

Question/concern: Could JSS's display of emotion while addressing the jury be cause for the defense to request a new judge?

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jodi-ari...-gma-how-they-reached-verdict-and-then-didnt/

GMA interview with jury foreman. I'm shocked at what I heard. They actually bought into her claims??? ALV must have been better than we all thought.

I am NOT speaking directly to the juror's opinions, but I get that it's possible that some bought into ALV. Critical thinking isn't particularly valued these days, (to some, maybe many?) it's considered "judgy". Can't carefully evaluate, it's said by someone who has "credentials", so it must be absolutely true.
It drives me nuts, BTW.

I hope he hears the story about how Travis told Skye Hughes that he couldn't break up with Jodi because she would kill herself. When Skye laughed and said she is not going to kill herself, he said, "you don't know that. And I could never live with myself if she did."

Travis was not abusing her. She was mentally abusing him.

Thank God they got murder 1 right.

That's sort of why I wish that the Hughes were called to rebut the things that ALV was saying about their letters. I don't know if it was strategy to not call them or if they couldn't be called or what.

Well I have the day off and I am going to try and get some errands done. The list is a mile long. I will be back later, not in a good mood.
Because I feel that Jodi feels that she won. Even though she is in prison for life in her twisted mind I can bet that is what she is thinking.

It is but a fleeting feeling Farm....23 hours in her cell, no more cameras like the last 6 months, mommy going home.

No more street clothes. No more tweeting.

So much has changed for her.her temporary fix will deflate.

What I want to know is how much they're going to have to get into with these new jurors. How much will they have to go over again? I'm confused about this. Will they have the same judge?

And however will they get a jury pool who hasn't been inundated with All Things Jodi Arias?

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jodi-ari...-gma-how-they-reached-verdict-and-then-didnt/

GMA interview with jury foreman. I'm shocked at what I heard. They actually bought into her claims??? ALV must have been better than we all thought.

He only said verbally and emotionally abusive. It's understandable if he thinks that. The DT did a good job of painting that narrative. But it doesn't sound like he thinks she was physically abused and maybe once he has the whole picture he will change his mind. Maybe. There's still a lot he doesn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong