Identified! OR - Cave Junction, 'Annie Doe' WhtFem UP10929, 16-20, Redwood Hwy, Aug'71 - Annie Lehman

That is my guess as well, but it puzzles me why she wasn't dumped earlier on the road given they had just driven 45 minutes through the woods and were just approaching a town. I suppose s/he could have killed her in the heat of the moment or something.
Perhaps they had pulled over to stop for the night- sleep out of the car- and then it happened.

Keep working on this one KLEE- someone has got to be missing this girl.

Option number two. As I starred at the photo taken in the original press release and pondered ... What if she is simply a hitch-hiker who stopped there for the night? Any option I've pondered thus far creates more questions than answers for me!!!

No worries Deca. I'm known to be a bit of a bull dog and will do everything I can to find her home. You keep thinking too. :seeya:

This evening i have been trying to think outside the box a bit & came across stories about the I-5 killer. Now i realise that in the early 70's he was picked up for indecency etc but part of his MO was a knife & robberies and 38 cents to me is change from a store purchase in her jeans & her purse has never turned up anywhere that we know of. Maybe Annie was a starting point for him? Just a thought. I've spent the last few days going through the doe networks missing from 66 to 72 for every US state & just felt maybe i should try a different angle. Being on this site has taught me so much about the way i think & its improved my skillset at work so if i can do anything to help someone, i want to give it 100%.

This evening i have been trying to think outside the box a bit & came across stories about the I-5 killer. Now i realise that in the early 70's he was picked up for indecency etc but part of his MO was a knife & robberies and 38 cents to me is change from a store purchase in her jeans & her purse has never turned up anywhere that we know of. Maybe Annie was a starting point for him? Just a thought. I've spent the last few days going through the doe networks missing from 66 to 72 for every US state & just felt maybe i should try a different angle. Being on this site has taught me so much about the way i think & its improved my skillset at work so if i can do anything to help someone, i want to give it 100%.

I have some "friends" in other agencies looking at that aspect of this case.

I thought i would add Joyce Creola Brewer missing from Texas since Sept 6, 1970.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1465dftx.html

It is believed she ran off with a boyfriend. It says strawberry blonde, over the time she could have grown her hair. The height is a bit off though. Still working my way through names and years.

For some reason Annie tugs at my heart. I have a lot of faith in police as well as faith in the people here who have actually helped bring unidentified home. If the police cannot identify her, I have no idea what makes me think I can help. Strangely, I just feel she is missed. Even today.

For some reason Annie tugs at my heart. I have a lot of faith in police as well as faith in the people here who have actually helped bring unidentified home. If the police cannot identify her, I have no idea what makes me think I can help. Strangely, I just feel she is missed. Even today.

Please don't do tha "eyes"! WE WILL find her home! We have DNA and dental churning in multiple databases but in this case, Annie appears to NEED US to find her home. How you help is just keep thinking outside the box, in the box, around, over and under the box!!! It just takes ONE stone no yet turned over! Maybe its been turned over 10, 20, 30 years ago - we need to flip them all again "eyes". DON'T GIVE UP, PLEASE! Her friends and any siblings aren't getting any younger and YES, THEY MISS HER and they need closure. Pick a rock and roll it all over. Hang in there "eyes" and let your passion and gut lead you. (I'm looking to our Lord). Don't stop, we aren't done yet.

Annie, based upon dental is between 14 and 22. She was dressed in layers which is apropriate. Her clothing was of blue jeans, square toed shoes with 2 inch heels, a long sleeve "lazy" turtleneck neck zippered long sleeve blouse. Her next layer appeared to be a brown swade type followed by a pink and beige jacket. Her hair was auburn with blonde streaks, hard to tell what's what on hair color. Annie had change in her front pocket with oldest coin dated 1970 (that only tells us she was alive in 1970). She had some type of map in her back pocket of northern california recreational or camping facialties. Finally found on one of her fingers was a mother of pearl large stone, braided band ring with AL scratched into the face of the stone (possibly made in west germany). Near her was a silver "friendship ring", size 6.5 with "Sterling MH" stamped on inside. This is a jewelery from NJ and possibly made around 1951. Also in the area was a hunting knife which conclusivly had deer blood on it.

We have a scene photo and press release which states she was partically covered with forest depri and a box. It also appears there is garbage deprie at the bottom of the pic in the way of metal gallon size containers.

Choices for why Annie was there: She was hitching north or she was walking north and went dodown that dirt road for a nights sleep. Same but she was dropped there. She was visiting the area and got lost. She was visiting the area and was murdered.

Don't go crazy throwing stuff out. Let's really think about this and looks at NamUs/Doe/Inventor sites previouslly published on this thread. Ponder, ponder and ponder. I want your thoughts. DO NOT GIVE UP ya'll!

I just did a search through DoeNetwork on missing girls. I threw out the ones who already had DNA available since they would have been matched already.

Only a couple of the girls were proven run-aways, and even fewer had what I'd (Or investigators) would call red hair. But I'll show you the ridiculously long list.

The red Heads

EFranks2.jpg

Elizabeth Franks
Missing since April 1965 from Toledo, Ohio
17 years old

DPolizzi.jpg

Darlene Polizzi
Missing since April 24, 1967 from Lodi, New Jersey
19 years old and 5'3

The runaways or people otherwise known to have been alive after the last seen date

MASwitalski1.jpg

Mary Ann Ruth Switalski
Missing since July 15, 1963 from Chicago, Illinois
16 years old and 5'2

ABackeberg.jpg

Audrey Jean Good Backeberg
Missing since July 7, 1962 from Reedsburg, Wisconsin
20 years old and 5'5

REgnoski.jpg

Ruth Egnoski
Missing since 1966 from Delavan, Wisconsin
18 years old

All the rest

PHobley.jpg
PSpencer.jpg

Pamela Sue Hobbley and Patricia Spencer
Missing Since October 31, 1969 from Oscoda, Michigan
15 and 16 years old, 5'6-5'8 and 5'3

DSheehy.jpg

Denise Marie Sheehy
Missing since July 7, 1970 from Woodside, New York.
16 and 5'3

ICann.jpg

Ilonka Cann
Missing since May 26, 1970 from Huntington Mills, Pennsylvania
22 years old and 5'6

I also still think that Laura Flink, Robin Graham, and Donna Lass should be looked at.

In the article, it mentioned that she had a slight overbite. Which several of these girls seem to have. Ilonka stands out to me because of her clothes.

Ilonka had a 15 month old boy at the time of her disappearance. I can't find anywhere what the baby's name was. When she disappeared the father in law came to help her husband look for her. He (FIL) lived in New Jersey. I mention that only because the friendship ring came from NJ. It doesn't seem likely that it was her though. How would her body get all the way to Oregon? And how would the map and small change figure in?

I still think Helen Claire Frost might be a good possibility but I need to check her DNA status.

Do we know for Annie (yes, no or IDK)
-evidence of prior pregnancy
-pierced ears
-tattoos

So we don't know if she was murdered, right? It is strange that there was a knife right by her covered in deer blood. I mean, that just isn't something you find typically, although I suppose someone could have been helping themselves to some venison road kill and left their knife there by the side of the road.

I do lean towards her dying (OD or natural causes) or her being murdered and dumped----why? No bag or purse. I would think if she had stopped there by herself while traveling she would have had SOMETHING with her. Probably a backpack or satchel of some kind. With hair like that she would have had at the least a hairbrush. JMO

Facts from article posted earlier (Thread 4, #76 )
The Bulletin, August 26, 1971, Volume XXXIV, No. 17, Cave Junction, Oregon

...body...found in a dump last Thursday [8/19/71] south of Cave Junction [OR]
...:the head wrapped in a pink and beige coat and covered with a box and some tree branches,,,
...head and arm bones found together...[rest of body] scattered over 100 foot sqare area...
...well filled teeth(without wisdom teeth) and was slightly buck toothed...
...tall, slim, 18-20 years old...long auburn hair...
...size 13-14 slim "Wranglers," brown shoes with brass buckles, a light colored sweatshirt, "lovable 34B bra, purple and white stripped apparently bikini panties and a pink and beige coat with large pink buttons.
... found near head...woven ring with pearl-type setting and letters "AL" scratched on it.
...found later by Sheriff's Deputy John Beairsto (sp?) ...sterling silver wedding band...same area
... time of death established as apparently two months ago.
... area where she was found...side road going to the Cooke ranch just south of Rough and Ready Creek on the east side of hwy 199 about 1/3/ of a mile off the highway

Thought this might be an easy reference to the facts in that article. Also, if one was simply camping in August, would you wrap your head in your coat and stick it inside a box? Maybe, I guess, if you wanted to keep bugs out of your face and hair. It seems more likely that someone else would have done that, after your death. That alone would point to murder IMO.

I have to ask why they think she's slim (Or tall, for that matter)?

Are sizes different now? Because I'm a size 13-14 and I am no-where-near skinny or slim.

I have to ask why they think she's slim (Or tall, for that matter)?

Are sizes different now? Because I'm a size 13-14 and I am no-where-near skinny or slim.

Sizes were different then. So were perceptions of body size. IIRC, Twiggy came in somewhere around there and sort of changed how people looked at themselves.

Vintage sizing is very different than modern sizing.

a juniors vintage size 13 would equate to a modern juniors size 5
which in pants is about a 25-25 1/2 inch waist & a 35-35 1/2 inch hips

You know when you are looking and looking for MP that match up and after a while you keep getting the same ones over and over?

That is where I am with this case. But today I came across one posting from an Oregon missing blog that I haven't see on any other site. There is really no info about this person, but she went missing from Portland in 1970.

Ellen Louise McCollum Drake born 11/4/1949 Missing from Portland Oregon. Last know records on Ellen stop on 5/22/1970.

If you know anything about Ellen please contact Srgt K. Flynn Eugene Oregon Police department at 541-682-5182 .

there is a picture as well on the site, although she doesn't have long hair, who knows how old that picture is?:
http://oregonmissing.blogspot.com/search/label/Multnomah%20County

I figured it wouldn't hurt.

So who wants to call Srgt K. Flynn and get her MP report out there to Namus and Charley and DoeNetwork?

ETA. I'm doing it right now. I'll tell you guys what they tell me in a second.

Thanks EL! It is too noisy here for me to make calls.

As I said, a long shot, but it can't hurt at this point.

I
In the article that Grateful1 posted back in post #71, it states Annie was covered by a box when she was found. Did that box have anything on it that could suggest where it came from? I have just been working through all the posts this afternoon. The location in the article states "Side road going to Cook Ranch, just south of rough and ready creek on the east side of highway 199 about 1/5 mile off the highway. Being in australia & honestly rather hopeless at direction does this mean she was heading towards california or away from california? Meaning she had possibly already been there and was on way home somewhere more north? I hope i make sense.
I believe she was heading north.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back