NC vs. Raven Abaroa ~ the Trial 3

I feel I must come forward on WS now as the trial is ongoing - I was married to Karyn for 6 months in 1992 when Raven was 11 - I am posting the entire letter I wrote to the Durham PD when I first learned (2008)of janet's death on WS. I would swear under oath that everything in my letter is true. I am once again amazed how casual (testimony) Karyn is in mentioning Raven's cheating, etc. This is completely in character for her as (IMHO) one of the most dysfunctional mothers I have ever known and I have known many -here is the letter dated JUne 4, 2008:

To: Det. Shawn Pate June 4, 2008
Durham, NC police department, Homicide division
Re: Janet Abaroa homicide case, April 2005

To Whom It May Concern:

I have recently become aware of the tragic homicide in April of 2005 of Janet Marie Abaroa and that her husband was Raven Abaroa. Given the facts that the case is still under investigation and that I was once married to Raven’s mother, Karen Abaroa, while Raven was about 11 years old, I want to offer some Abaroa family background information regarding that time frame. I lived with Karen and her four children, Jacob, Raven, Derek and Shiloh for most of the year 1992, being married about the last 6 months. I was the primary financial support during that time, even helping Karen get off of the LDS church welfare system before we were married. Two of my own children also lived with us for various periods during that time.

Because of the violent nature of Janet’s death, I believe my observations of some of the behaviors of Karen and her children, including Raven specifically, as regards to how they expressed and dealt with feelings of anger could possibly be pertinent to the ongoing investigation. I want to also categorically state that I believe anyone accused or even merely suspected of any crime whatsoever should always be presumed absolutely innocent until legally proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

My first general observation was that, in my whole life, I have never known a set of children who exhibited such a variety of negative behaviors. I also have never known a set of children who received so little discipline and consequences from their mother for said behaviors. My main generality was that Karen and all her children, when angry at anyone, anywhere for any reason were at the very least, vocally loud and abusive and at the worst, physically abusive. I witnessed dozens of incidents between the Abaroa children when they were yelling extremely loudly and hitting each other. I also had personal knowledge of them fighting physically with my son who was about 15 at that time but small in stature for his age. If he was ever asked to make a statement of fact regarding the physical abuse of the Abaroa children he has assured me recently he could. I also had personal knowledge of at least one incident of Raven’s older brother Jacob angrily striking his mother Karen. However, Karen would not give him any significant consequences nor would she let me impose any ( I was the legal stepfather at the time). Only when I reported it to his father, Sherman Peters, was Jacob reprimanded and disciplined.

Of further significance was the fact that, on several occasions (at least 4) when Karen and I were arguing, she herself struck me physically in a violent, screaming manner (I never retaliated). These arguments were inevitably about my request for her to instill some system of discipline on her children for their bad behavior. I was not only concerned about how they expressed their anger but also the incredible number of times they (the boys primarily) misbehaved or were literally disruptive in their respective schools. It seems exaggerated, but I state categorically that it was an almost daily occurrence that one or other of the schools officials called or otherwise notified Karen that either Jacob, Raven or Derek had been fighting, talking disrespectfully to their teacher or had been noisily disruptive in their classroom. I also personally witnessed their many disruptive behaviors during our church meetings.

Also of relevance I believe was the documentable fact that the boys had all stolen money and property from Karen’s parents so many times that her parents put locks on every interior room and cabinet door in their house and absolutely would not let any of her children be alone in their house unless the parents themselves were home.
All the children, including Raven, seemed to me to be either bi-polar or had some sort of psychological syndrome for which I had no explanation or personal understanding. To my observation during the year I lived with Karen and her children , they all seemed to have two distinct personalities. They could behave in an intelligent, creative and genuinely humorous and charming manner, and then momentarily exhibit the aforementioned violent expressions of anger, both verbally and physically. It got the point with me that I became increasingly concerned about my own physical safety if I tried to control them and I began locking my bedroom door at night. Towards the end of our relationship, Jacob and Raven both stole money from me, and tellingly, Karen only got them to admit it and then simply returned the money to me. When I asked her what consequences she was going to impose on them she simply told me I got my money back and it was over.

It also became increasingly apparent to me that Karen was completely obsessed with keeping her children living with her and that she would inevitably discourage any discussion or movement towards any of them living with their father Sherman, whom they all seemed to like and respect at that time and who was the only person I knew in their life who would discipline them and whom they would respond to. I believe this unhealthy (in my view) obsession was at the root of her unwillingness to impose any real consequences for their increasingly negative behaviors.

My relationship with Raven specifically was a diochotomy. When he and I occasionally conversed one on one, he often spoke intelligently in a calm manner. I also remembered that he did relatively well in school. In relation to his older Jacob, Raven seemed significantly more mature and serious about studying and getting good grades. In this context, it initially surprised me how negative and violent on occasion he could be with very little apparent incitement. Unfortunately as time went on I discovered to my dismay that this polarized behavior was the norm for Karen and her children.

I can summarize my involvement with Karen and the Abaroa children as one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I entered into the relationship with totally altruistic goals , thinking I could provide a role model and help her develop her children along with my own. How wrong I was. While my own five children have grown up to be college graduates (three with honors, one at the top of his class) and all having accomplished careers, I was not prepared to deal with the incredibly dysfunctional personalities Karen was developing in her children and the general dysfunction of the entire Abaroa family, the specifics of which could fill a book. Suffice it to say that even though they were official Mormon church members in name, they were completely atypical of any other LDS family I have ever know before or since.

I will categorically state that I do not know who murdered Janet Abaroa. However, I can also state this tragic incident is within the parameters of potential possibilities I feared and foresaw based on my year of closely interacting with the Karen Abaroa family .

This letter is only intended for the use of the Durham,NC police department and the Christiansen family members of Janet Abaroa……………..

Michael James Whisler

Dear Michael,

Your insight into the childhood of Raven Peters Abaroa is remarkable.

I have always been interested in the psychology of a sociopath and how they are raised. I see many similarities between Karyn Abaroa Bolton and other mother's of murdering sociopaths.

Whether or not Raven is found guilty in a court of law, there are many of us that know the truth. The truth is only Raven had the means, the motive, the opportunity to commit this crime and no matter how Raven was raised, in the end he committed this crime.

I do believe that Karyn needs to take responsibility for allowing her son to think he is god like because obviously Raven had to feel that he was, because he became the ultimate judge, jury and executioner of Janet Marie and their unborn child.

Letting Law Enforcement know and the PT know is very brave. I am pretty sure that Karyn Abaroa Bolton will not be happy about this, and I'm sure that you could fill up a book with the short-time that you were with her. I am grateful that you got out of the toxic marriage. I wish that Karyn's husband Jim Bolton was strong enough to do this and I know there are others out there like you.

I pray for Justice for Janet, her unborn child, her friends and family. My prayers are that Raven can hurt no other person and if he ends up free, he will. I pray that Janet is watching over Kaiden and she finds a way to protect him because he is being raised by the same toxicity that Raven was raised in.

I wish you much peace and blessings and thanks for coming forward and sharing your story.

I think that the DT coached her not to attack Janet and she had to try to keep catching herself, she still couldn't help herself.

This woman (I use this term lightly) has obviously been blaming Janet for her own murder and her slayer spawn of a child was the poor victim. She should be ashamed of herself, imo

Yes, she should, trix. Grrrrr.

I'm sure Raven has been telling his side of the story since day one -- and you know RA wouldn't lie to his own mother -- so she believes what he says. Plus, he's almost a god, so there.

I would assume, however, that when he first met JA, RA was telling his mom how great she was, and mother abaroa certainly must have liked her
a lot. And now we're hearing how bad she turned out to be....

Two old adages come to mind here:

Blood is thicker than water....
icon8.gif
... and

Cut from the same cloth....

She is really something -- there were a couple of times, I am sure, when mother abaroa want to jump out of the witness box and scratch out the eyes of that hateful ADA...

BBM

When Charlene asked her point blank if she helped Raven steal from Eurosports her come back made me shiver....

Karyn....."You wanna say that again?" Sounded like a direct threat!

I felt the same way....I've watched that quote several times on WRAL and each time I can almost feel her violent side. Her mouth just seems to seethe as the words tumble out.

What a woman....what a family!!!! Thanks Mikey for an insight into madness.
I'm glad you're safe and AWAY from the whole lot them.

Is it just me or did Karen's letter to Raven come off as almost...well not sure of the correct wording, saying he's god like but almost not the way a Mother would talk to or think of her son. It had undertones of...how do you say sexuality to it, without saying sexuality.

My son listened to that testimony and said that it was disgusting!

Oedipal Complex....well a reverse one if that makes sense. That whole fam is disgusting

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

PRO: "Did you help him in anyway steal this money?"

Karyn:"You wanna say that again?"

bbm

Loved it! She showed so much more that she meant to show here, Hunter!

That statement, and the look on her face when she said it, made me wonder if she might have been the one to pass on the hot/cold, cruel/loving personality to RA. Did she show this to RA when he was a little boy? Is this learned behavior?

..... and, per testimony yesterday, right after getting to Utah for Xmas, he made a deposit in his credit union bank account. Did momma give them some Xmas money? Or did he quietly sell some of that inventory he had stashed there? One has to wonder.

Speaking of the testimony, and the Credit Union, didn't one of Raven's relatives start a Fund the day after the murder, and then a year later Raven ended up overdrawing from said fund. I believe I saw this in his Bankruptcy papers.

On April 29, 2006 was the Tears for Janet Candlelight Vigil in Durham in conjunction with National Crime Victims Rights' Week.

I see all the pictures of this beautiful vigil and there is not one single picture of Raven there, I see all of Janet's family, all of Janet's friends...yet no Raven, no Abaroas, no Boltons, no Foxley's.

http://tearsforjanet.com/Vigil Gallery/index.htm

Where was Raven? Oh yeah, filing bankruptcy. He sat in his lawyers office and signed bankruptcy papers on April 26, 2006, these were filed with the courts on April 28, 2006.

Speaking of the testimony, and the Credit Union, didn't one of Raven's relatives start a Fund the day after the murder, and then a year later Raven ended up overdrawing from said fund. I believe I saw this in his Bankruptcy papers.

On April 29, 2006 was the Tears for Janet Candlelight Vigil in Durham in conjunction with National Crime Victims Rights' Week.

I see all the pictures of this beautiful vigil and there is not one single picture of Raven there, I see all of Janet's family, all of Janet's friends...yet no Raven, no Abaroas, no Boltons, no Foxley's.

http://tearsforjanet.com/Vigil%20Gallery/index.htm

Where was Raven? Oh yeah, filing bankruptcy. He sat in his lawyers office and signed bankruptcy papers on April 26, 2006, these were filed with the courts on April 28, 2006.
Raven was po'd that "we" didn't give him enough notice to get to Durham in time for the vigil. IIRC, he made a comment to someone that since being a single parent he needed much more notice to make a trip like that with a child. ETA: "we" meaning Janet's family and friends.

Other than 'we know' he obviously did it, what hard evidence will the jury latch on to for 12-0 guilty? I'm just not seeing a strong enough case for a unanimous guilty verdict. Hate it, but I'm thinking a hung jury and mistrial.

Other than 'we know' he obviously did it, what hard evidence will the jury latch on to for 12-0 guilty? I'm just not seeing a strong enough case for a unanimous guilty verdict. Hate it, but I'm thinking a hung jury and mistrial.

I can see all the motives, I can see how he had the means and the opportunity and hopefully the jurors can too.

I appreciate the many comments of support regarding the posting of my letter to Durham PD. I want to express that, while of course I absolutely want justice for Janet's tragic death, I am equally if not more concerned for the inevitable damage to Kaiden's young life and psyche if he remains under Karyn's highly dysfunctional parenting style. I am quite certain she will never allow him to have a normal relationship with Janet's family, just as she would not with her childrens' natural father Sherman Peters and his wife, whom my experience with was that they are good people and parents. My postings may not have any influence on the trial but if they result in any way promoting and effecting Kaiden's natural,normal, and healthy relationship with Janet's family my efforts will not have been in vain. Without getting specific, I must concur with those who noticed that Karyn's statements about her son being "handsome, lean-bodied, and god-like" picked up on that as being indicative of what I observed in her as not just an unhealthy but almost incredibly perverse obsession with her offspring. I could provide many other shocking and outrageous instances I experienced involving all her children which I did not feel were appropriate to state publicly in the WS forum, but suffice it to say that I could write extensively about that subject. <mod snip> I did however relay everything I could recall to the Christiansen family over the years. An additional factoid I should mention is that once I finally separated from Karyn, even though we were occasionally at the same (church) social functions, I NEVER spoke to her again and frankly, kept my distance. I do wish to categorically state that I was bearing no personal animus towards her whatsoever and had put it all way behind me until I learned in 2008 about Janet's death. Pray for Kaiden and God bless us all - Peace

I appreciate the many comments of support regarding the posting of my letter to Durham PD. I want to express that, while of course I absolutely want justice for Janet's tragic death, I am equally if not more concerned for the inevitable damage to Kaiden's young life and psyche if he remains under Karyn's highly dysfunctional parenting style. I am quite certain she will never allow him to have a normal relationship with Janet's family, just as she would not with her childrens' natural father Sherman Peters and his wife, whom my experience with was that they are good people and parents. My postings may not have any influence on the trial but if they result in any way promoting and effecting Kaiden's natural,normal, and healthy relationship with Janet's family my efforts will not have been in vain. Without getting specific, I must concur with those who noticed that Karyn's statements about her son being "handsome, lean-bodied, and god-like" picked up on that as being indicative of what I observed in her as not just an unhealthy but almost incredibly perverse obsession with her offspring. I could provide many other shocking and outrageous instances I experienced involving all her children which I did not feel were appropriate to state publicly in the WS forum, but suffice it to say that I could write extensively about that subject. Depending on the reason for the request, I would consider giving further information via private messaging, but I will have to think about it. I did however relay everything I could recall to the Christiansen family over the years. An additional factoid I should mention is that once I finally separated from Karyn, even though we were occasionally at the same (church) social functions, I NEVER spoke to her again and frankly, kept my distance. I do wish to categorically state that I was bearing no personal animus towards her whatsoever and had put it all way behind me until I learned in 2008 about Janet's death. Pray for Kaiden and God bless us all - Peace

Michael again, thank you. However, I would definitely be careful whom who share personal information to privately. Raven Abaroa's defense team reads Websleuths, and has mentioned Websleuths constantly and consistently through the trial. Raven Abaroa went on a rant in a homemade video he made stating he was going to sue Websleuths and internet people for slander and libel. I have been contacted via websleuths from members of Ravens family trying to act like they are friends. I have been told by people that knew Raven that he was going to find out who I am and kill me.

We were discussing something here and after the break about 1-1/2 hours later on a redirect the defense made a leading statement to one of the witnesses regarding a comment I made during the break on WS.

What you write publicly is here for all time and eternity, trust Law Enforcement, trust your insticts, but remember what you share, you can't unshare. I myself know that there are people that I felt comfortable sharing information over the years here that have their own agendas. If you share with the wrong person here, that has their own agenda, you can't unshare it.

It seems to me that Defense has been trying to put Websleuths on the stand and I realize that people are not always who they seem on the internet and if I was a defense attorney, I would have someone here pretending I was for the prosecution and attempting to get information from members to help the defense, while pretending I was all for Justice for Janet.

ps: If you want to speak to defense, please feel free however they are paid to try to get Raven off, they don't care whether or not he's guilty, they have one job to do and that's represent Raven Abaroa. They don't care about what happened in his childhood, whether or not he is the real killer, whether or not he gets off and he kills again, they have one job, and that's to try to defend Raven.

"ps: If you want to speak to defense, please feel free however they are paid to try to get Raven off, they don't care whether or not he's guilty, they have one job to do and that's represent Raven Abaroa. They don't care about what happened in his childhood, whether or not he is the real killer, whether or not he gets off and he kills again, they have one job, and that's to try to defend Raven."

and this is exactly why I could never be a defense attorney, even though my family background includes those of the legal and judicial fields.

Trix just reading your words "Raven said he would kill me" literally brings chills down my spine!! My God these people are sick......I can't even fathom how sick.

Yes, Slayer Abaroa had the motive, the opportunity, and the means. I honestly feel good about a conviction. I don't know why, but I do. I started feeling this way during the last few days. I feel more confident now than I did during JY's trial....and I felt pretty confident then. I really, really feel they are going to convict his murdering *advertiser censored**.

Prayers for Janet's family and friends.........and most of all, prayers for Kaiden. May he somehow be taken from the clutches of a mad, psychotic woman!!

I can see all the motives, I can see how he had the means and the opportunity and hopefully the jurors can too.

I think the jury sees motive, means and opportunity.
But what evidence will be the key to persuading an undecided or NG juror?
In the end, I think most jurors will think he did it , but the state did not prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. Sure hope i'm wrong.

In the end, I think most jurors will think he did it , but the state did not prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. Sure hope i'm wrong.

We've discussed this for years now, circumstantial evidence is evidence though. Getting rid of the murder weapon, the clothes, have a little luck on your side and you get away with murder. This is the problem with the CSI effect we have going on now. There have been convictions without a body.

I won't be shocked if it's a hung jury or if this piece of crap gets away with murder. Sunshine always seem to crawl right up his butt because like his Mother says "he's god like". OJ & Casey Anthony has taught me to never be surprised by a verdict.

I hope you are wrong for Janet, her unborn child, Kaiden, Janet's family, Vanessa, Auria, the Boltons, the underaged girl mother who had to give her child up for adoption, his daughter, the other women that did not come forward because they were afraid of him, the people in his family that believe he is guilty and are afraid of him, all those who testified and any other woman that Raven may come across some day. I really truly hope you are wrong!

I do too JTF,,,,I really do!

Agreed, Fax -- Here's what I see right now from a juror's perspective: He had the motive, means & the opportunity. He wanted out of the marriage, but he wanted his son, not knowing how much work it would be since Janet did most of that. He was worse than broke, so that insurance money would put him right, and give him lots of room to do what he liked. He was lazy and not that good at anything he had tried professionally. He needed to start fresh somewhere else but needed a nest egg for that which the insurance payout would provide. He did not want to move back home with his mother. He needed a good lawyer - needed money for that, too. There was hardly anything taken from the house that night. There was no apparent break-in. No apparent struggle anywhere in the house. He prolly did it. But there's no evidence. I can't convict him on my gut feeling, can I? I need to see more evidence. I don't know what to do.

The jury instructions should take care of the "gut-feeling" problem -- that's not evidence. There has to be more for 12 guilty votes. What will rebuttal supply that is needed?

I don't see what I've seen so far getting those 12 votes... It's a Big Problem, IMO, and that worries me. A lot.

This is Circumstantial Evidence case:

Circumstantial Evidence is also known as indirect evidence. It is distinguished from direct evidence, which, if believed, proves the existence of a particular fact without any inference or presumption required. Circumstantial evidence relates to a series of facts other than the particular fact sought to be proved. The party offering circumstantial evidence argues that this series of facts, by reason and experience, is so closely associated with the fact to be proved that the fact to be proved may be inferred simply from the existence of the circumstantial evidence.

In addition, much Scientific Evidence is circumstantial, because it requires a jury to make a connection between the circumstance and the fact in issue. For example, with fingerprint evidence, a jury must make a connection between this evidence that the accused handled some object tied to the crime and the commission of the crime itself.

Books, movies, and television often perpetuate the belief that circumstantial evidence may not be used to convict a criminal of a crime. But this view is incorrect. In many cases, circumstantial evidence is the only evidence linking an accused to a crime; direct evidence may simply not exist. As a result, the jury may have only circumstantial evidence to consider in determining whether to convict or acquit a person charged with a crime.

U.S. Supreme Court has stated that "circumstantial evidence is intrinsically no different from testimonial [direct] evidence"(Holland v. United States, 348 U.S. 121, 75 S. Ct. 127, 99 L. Ed. 150 [1954]). Thus, the distinction between direct and circumstantial evidence has little practical effect in the presentation or admissibility of evidence in trials.

Borndem,

Without even realizing it, I think you nailed it - Raven started out well in sales; especially for someone who had just one semester of college. He was, however, riding a huge boom in the economy, and was too lazy to work hard even during "easy" times. At his age (early to mid 20's) in the early to mid 2000s', he was on a reverse spiral - he started high, but couldn't sustain it. He began a downward spiral - stealing from his employers (easy money, right), getting caught, getting fired, and then the cycle would start again. He needed money, he had rich tastes but no work ethic, and those two qualities were, along with his sociopathic behavior (continued affairs during his marriage, controlling and verbally abusive behavior, and continued lies), the driving factor for wanting to kill Janet by setting up the perfect murder, not getting caught, collecting the $500K and setting off merrily on his way.

To me, the lack of a break-in, the missing laptop, the missing knife, the "staged break-in", the fact that Janet's expensive diamond ring was left untouched by the sink (easy to steal a big 'ol diamond if it's a break-in), the crime scene showed no struggle, i.e., it wasn't a stranger who came up behind Janet - and Janet was young and physically strong (All American ranked college Soccer player) - she would have fought if she thought some stranger was trying to hurt her or Kaiden, and also, the huge disparities in all of Raven's stories - whether to LE, friends, church members, etc. He had told so many lies, he couldn't keep his stories straight.

So, in my humble opinion, I believe, based on evidence and even lack of evidence (why would a thief take Raven's laptop but not a gold diamond ring?), differences in stories, clothing worn as caught on the gas station/convenience mart tape, life insurance policy bought on his wife, his continued affairs and lack of respect for his wife, Raven was the only one who wanted Janet gone, and would benefit, both personally and financially from her death.

Agreed, Fax -- Here's what I see right now from a juror's perspective: He had the motive, means & the opportunity. He wanted out of the marriage, but he wanted his son, not knowing how much work it would be since Janet did most of that. He was worse than broke, so that insurance money would put him right, and give him lots of room to do what he liked. He was lazy and not that good at anything he had tried professionally. He needed to start fresh somewhere else but needed a nest egg for that which the insurance payout would provide. He did not want to move back home with his mother. He needed a good lawyer - needed money for that, too. There was hardly anything taken from the house that night. There was no apparent break-in. No apparent struggle anywhere in the house. He prolly did it. But there's no evidence. I can't convict him on my gut feeling, can I? I need to see more evidence. I don't know what to do.

The jury instructions should take care of the "gut-feeling" problem -- that's not evidence. There has to be more for 12 guilty votes. What will rebuttal supply that is needed?

I don't see what I've seen so far getting those 12 votes... It's a Big Problem, IMO, and that worries me. A lot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back