GUILTY Australia - Joan Ryther, 27, pregnant, raped & murdered, Logan, Qld, 21 May 2013

Donna Field (@Donna_Field)
3/06/13 8:47 AM

Indigenous elders also at court supporting 18 y o accused - say there is a long way to go in this court process @abcnews

I wonder if the police already knew who killed Joan before they released the CCTV (DNA, wallet??, something else) and they were just trying to find anyone who could place him in the area.

@DarrenCurtis9: Beenleigh court is standing room only,many waiting for appearance of 18yr old accused of murdering pregnant Logan woman @9NewsBrisbane

8 55 am

@Donna_Field: Accused lawyer appalled at police saying it will take 6 to 12 months for full brief of evidence in Joan Ryther murder case @abcnews

@Donna_Field: Next court mention for man accused of Joan Ryther's killer aug 5

@Donna_Field: Emotions very high at Beenleigh courts - someone has strung a noose from a tree @abcnews

@Donna_Field: Police have just remove said noose http://t.co/shTLtJAyjC

apparently his DNA matched that which was found at the crime scene

the little punk can lie and deny it all he wants, DNA doesn't lie

How is there a "long way to go", I wonder? If the police can prove it was him, he's guilty, the end.

I truly hope the evidence is rock solid... DNA, etc. I really hope there's not a shred of doubt for the political soapboxers of ANY sort to stand on.

If he's guilty he should get the maximum possible sentence - no matter what race he is! Raping and murdering a pregnant woman - it's unthinkable that age, race or any other potentially 'mitigating factor' might reduce the sentence of somebody who violently removed a woman and her unborn child from the world for his own pleasure.

@Donna_Field: Accused lawyer appalled at police saying it will take 6 to 12 months for full brief of evidence in Joan Ryther murder case @abcnews

... what does this mean? Why so long? Anyone have an idea why?

So DNA was found. Good.

Disgusted that someone hung a noose up, though. I really truly hope 'thugs' don't use Joan's death as an excuse to go on a rampage. That only demeans who she was and disrespects her husband and family.

Some people will look for any excuse to act out.

Thoughts with Cory today.

I actually thought the noose could either be a symbol of protest, or a racially-motivated threat - it's clearly refers to Aboriginal deaths in custody, but I'd like to know what context it applied to.

In any case, I 100% agree it's shoddy behaviour. Shame on them, whoever it was.

i did not mind the noose and i believe that people who commit such atrocious crimes should be hung.

if convicted he would probably only serve 12 years.. is that justice? i say hang him and let it be a warning to all other scumbags out there that they will suffer the same fate.

Interesting how we all interpreted the noose differently. Didn't think about the aboriginal deaths in custody. I was reminded of the vigilante groups that hung black people in the past. Or as a sign of 'hang him!' that could be used for anyone who commits an atrocious crime (regardless of race).

Can't see the media discussing the noose in any detail so guess we'll never know (but a good reminder for me that our perceptions are just one way of seeing things). :)

to be honest brah, i do not see how it can possibly be interpreted about aboriginal deaths... indigenous people are not ones to simply put up a noose. they are very outspoken about it, they would be very loud in front of the media so that if something happens, they will cry foul and be justified in that for once.

most people also did not even know he was indigenous, hanging was more an american thing in regards to black people, not australian.

i do think people are saying he is a and should be hung.. but maybe i am bias.. i am open to anyone elses theory.... but i seriously doubt it is racially motivated.. people make too much of the racial issue these days which in itself is racist... most aboriginals are not racially vilified even though they say they are... i grew up with them and i rarely heard boo about it

I have to agree, bladesmama, I do think a death penalty for heinous crimes like this is appropriate, as long as there's incontrovertible proof of guilt. Death for habitual pedos, too, while we're at it..

The noose thing just bothers me because there's a good chance this trial will become more about racial grandstanding (from both sides of that issue) than it is about Joan, her unborn baby and Cory (his tears on the news, btw, just gutted me, poor man! apparently he had a hard time facing the accused in court.. My heart hurts for him)

I'm still really curious as to why the police want 6 months to put this case together... if they really do have DNA evidence, it ought to be cut and dried, yes?

I have to agree, bladesmama, I do think a death penalty for heinous crimes like this is appropriate, as long as there's incontrovertible proof of guilt. Death for habitual pedos, too, while we're at it..

The noose thing just bothers me because there's a good chance this trial will become more about racial granstanding (from both sides of that issue) than it is about Joan, her unborn baby and Cory (his tears on the news, btw, just gutted me, poor man! apparently he had a hard time facing the accused in court.. My heart hurts for him)

I'm still really curious as to why the police want 6 months to put this case together... if they really do have DNA evidence, it ought to be cut and dried, yes?

i agree 100% yes pedos should get the same too.. but we need to be 100% certain in those cases.

i think it will become a racial issue if the media makes it one, race was not even mentioned once until media articles... they hold the cards, if they want to make it an issue to get a story they will.

i think it is about joan... but it is also about society and justice. to be honest if justice is not served by the law, i am all for vigilantism :) race should not be brought into it at all, and i can garuntee you the accused lawyer will try to milk it for all its worth for a reduced sentence if convicted.... a beautiful women was taken, and what goes through my mind is what was she thinking? how did she feel? he had no right to have her last moments... no one should have to go through what she did, and this scum should pay the price with life without parole.

it is a bit perplexing why they need 6 to 12 months, i think most likely is because they have absolutely no doubt of his guilt, and they want to get it right.. they do not want him getting off in the slightest

I think that Logan being a major center of Aboriginal protests lately might make the race issue more of a focus, IMO, though it really should have zero to do with the case. There's already a ton of ill feeling going on in that community, so that's why I wondered about the motivation for the noose.

The deaths in custody thing came to mind as there has been a lot of cases where Aboriginal men have either hung themselves or were hung in their cells using makeshift nooses.

I think that Logan being a major center of Aboriginal protests lately might make the race issue more of a focus, IMO, though it really should have zero to do with the case. There's already a ton of ill feeling going on in that community, so that's why I wondered about the motivation for the noose.

The deaths in custody thing came to mind as there has been a lot of cases where Aboriginal men have either hung themselves or were hung in their cells using makeshift nooses.

you bring up a very interesting point about logan. i think your right, it would make sense if that issue was used later on and became a focus point!

i kind of think the non indigenous community would largely not say too much, they would be sick of indigenous people using the race card. no one wants them to try make it an issue, so if the indigenous community tries to turn it into a racial affair, most people can sit back and laugh at them and point out how ridiculous the race card is.... that being said, there is always idiots out there who act before thinking... so hey i may be wrong lol

i am not aware of any aboriginal "being hung" by someone else while in jail... i know some hung themselves, and certainly there has been other cases of aboriginal deaths while in custody.

I was just pointing out, re the issue of who was hung or hung themselves - it was a massive issue for a while, accusations of murder left and right. I don't know what happened to those men, just that it was definitely a contentious issue specifically related to indigenous men in custody, and was in the media focus for a long time, so the noose took that possible significance IMO. Probably as some kind of slur..

I was just pointing out, re the issue of who was hung or hung themselves - it was a massive issue for a while, accusations of murder left and right. I don't know what happened to those men, just that it was definitely a contentious issue specifically related to indigenous men in custody, and was in the media focus for a long time, so the noose took that possible significance IMO. Probably as some kind of slur..

i get what your saying

i place those accusations with that of the boston bombers family... yeh according to the family, the brothers were innocent and set up by the FBI and one was executed by the FBI too... really believable. lol

people love using the race card, even muslims try to and they are not even a race.... im so over that kind of thing.

Haven't read anything about DNA evidence. Has it been reported anywhere or is this rumour?

Regarding the noose, I think the nature of this kind of crime typically draws that kind of reaction regardless of race. Not too long ago it was the same for that vicious white Adrian Bayley.

As far as death penalties go, I think a fair argument against it is that these crims are sometimes the only person who knows what happened in other missing persons cases. For detectives and family of the missing, executing a potential suspect who may one day be linked to a case would reduce the chance that they might ever find out what happened.

Here's an idea for sentencing: the age of the victim should be calculated against average life expectancy. A woman in this country on average could be expected to live into her mid 80's. If her life is cut short at 27, make the difference the minimum term to be served. 85 - 27 = 58 yrs. Any less would be injustice to the victim.

Sentencing shouldn't be dictated purely by the economics of keeping offenders where they deserve to be for their actions. Personally I think the emphasis on rehabilitation is really all about saving dollars, and that the justice system undervalues human life with disproportionate sentences for crimes of this nature.

The trouble with the noose is the same trouble with the furor over the teenage girl calling an AFL player an ape ... the connections and connotations are there regardless of whether you are aware of them. A noose hanging from a tree is a potent racist symbol. I think when justice is hanging in the balance, we need to be especially politically correct so that we mitigate whatever social injustice there is based on race as much as possible. So that he can be punished fairly for his crime. Which is harshly and permanently IMO, which would be a death penalty if we had it and because we don't, it should be life without parole. We don't need riots and any leniency based on what the public does.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back