GUILTY Australia - Joan Ryther, 27, pregnant, raped & murdered, Logan, Qld, 21 May 2013

i was watching a news video earlier today , seemed to of been done last night.. not sure if it was channel 10 or 9? they said it is believed police matched DNA evidence to him? that is where i got that from

but the lawyer said today that his client was willing to give a DNA sample? so i guess the news was wrong and me as a result

it should come down to circumstance, but i think brutal crimes such as this should have a minimum term of 58 years like you suggest if calculated like that.. i think if there is no doubt, 100% proved and few questions left unanswered and the perpetrator is unwilling to tell all, put them down like a dog... or let the family dish out there own version of justice lol

wonder how many people will go out and do this kind of thing knowing not only would they get a long jail sentence, but also the family of victim could do pretty much what they wanted to them... i doubt there would be much of this kind of thing from there on in... but i guess people would never go for that kind of justice, even if only applied to those who there is no doubt with anything at all.... but people have been wrongly convicted before

the brisbane times have also reported that there is a key witness, but they are overseas and are not expected back for some time.. i wonder what the go is with this... the public need more information

Mr Bosscher said he had only a brief synopsis of the evidence against his client.

‘‘There's certainly less [evidence] there than I would expect in a matter of this type,’’ he said.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...er-in-court-20130603-2nklj.html#ixzz2V7ScYJ2F

Okay, so no DNA proof yet. I wonder what evidence they -do- have. Maybe this is why they want 6 months, they just don't have very much hard evidence to make a solid case.

As much as I would -love- to see Joan's killer put away for life - I hope the accused isn't jailed for 6-12 months pending trial if the evidence against him is quite flimsy. Idk, it seems wrong in principle. Perhaps they ought to make sure the evidence is solid enough to ensure a swift trial -before- making an arrest...?

According to a social media page, who is in contact with Cory, they do have his DNA and "items taken from the suspects house which cannot be refuted" . Photos of offender have now been taken off website at the request of Cory , as he has now seen this person face to face.

Mr Bosscher said he had only a brief synopsis of the evidence against his client.

‘‘There's certainly less [evidence] there than I would expect in a matter of this type,’’ he said.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...er-in-court-20130603-2nklj.html#ixzz2V7ScYJ2F

Okay, so no DNA proof yet. I wonder what evidence they -do- have. Maybe this is why they want 6 months, they just don't have very much hard evidence to make a solid case.

As much as I would -love- to see Joan's killer put away for life - I hope the accused isn't jailed for 6-12 months pending trial if the evidence against him is quite flimsy. Idk, it seems wrong in principle. Perhaps they ought to make sure the evidence is solid enough to ensure a swift trial -before- making an arrest...?

I don't believe that they would arrest someone and remand them in custody unless they had significant evidence. Perhaps the time needed is to prepare the necessary documents to proceed with the case, and even to get extra evidence. I wonder whether the haste in laying charges is related to potential issues of community safety. If the police know they have found the right person and if they believe that he has the risk of attacking another random woman don't they have a duty to protect the community from further random attacks? I agree, I absolutely hate the idea of the wrong person being charged and imprisoned.

I don't believe that they would arrest someone and remand them in custody unless they had significant evidence. Perhaps the time needed is to prepare the necessary documents to proceed with the case, and even to get extra evidence. I wonder whether the haste in laying charges is related to potential issues of community safety. If the police know they have found the right person and if they believe that he has the risk of attacking another random woman don't they have a duty to protect the community from further random attacks? I agree, I absolutely hate the idea of the wrong person being charged and imprisoned.

i enjoyed how they arrested him n his birthday lol

i agree totally and unequivocally with your statement.

Here's an idea for sentencing: the age of the victim should be calculated against average life expectancy. A woman in this country on average could be expected to live into her mid 80's. If her life is cut short at 27, make the difference the minimum term to be served. 85 - 27 = 58 yrs. Any less would be injustice to the victim.

So if a 19 year old offender bashes an 80 year old woman to death in her own home, he can expect to be free before his 25th birthday?

So if a 19 year old offender bashes an 80 year old woman to death in her own home, he can expect to be free before his 25th birthday?

I guess you'd need to have a minimum and maximum sentence? Minimum 25 and max 60 and then sentence accordingly. Life should be life, that's one thing for sure!!

Kind of expected that. I was thinking in particular about crimes against the young where it's often viewed as all the more devastating because of the notion that they've been robbed of any chance at experiencing a full life.

But so as not to make crime against the elderly seem more appealing, there's no reason why another sentencing regime couldn't apply to victims over the age of 50 for arguments sake.

While there is some justice to a long sentence when someone young is murdered, I agree there shouldn't be a discount for murdering the elderly or someone with a shorter life expectancy like a person with a profound disability. I think the only discounts should be with community accepted mitigating circumstances. Like self-defence, or in some rare instances of a crime of passion from a previously productive law abiding person. If you murder while you are sexually assaulting someone, it should be life without parole because rehabilitation is so unlikely and a harsh punishment is just.

http://twitter.com/@renaehenry10

Renae Henry (@renaehenry10)
3/06/13 9:23 AM
Lawyer for accused Logan murderer likely to apply for bail in Supreme Court, and willing to provide DNA evidence if required @tennewsqld

3/06/13 9:28 AM
Police remove a noose tied to tree at Beenleigh court - not known if linked to Logan murder @tennewsqld pic.twitter.com/qcsbH8Fs6W

3/06/13 9:55 AM
Family of accused Logan murderer travelled from Cherbourg to see him - approaching watch house now @tennewsqld

There is NO chance he is getting out before a committal hearing and thereafter, a murder trial. The next court date is in August, the committal hearing could be set for potentially 5 or 6 months. If he is intending to plead not guilty, which is appears he is, I don't see this going to trial until late 2014 at the earliest. Any individual who is charged with murder, rape and unlawful assault will have zero chance of being granted bail (even pending a committal hearing).

I have seen prisoners in QLD facing charges of a lot lesser extent remain in jail until their trial, in some cases years. Out of all states in Australia, I believe QLD is the one of the strictest and most severe in the sentencing stage. IMO

apparently his DNA matched that which was found at the crime scene

the little punk can lie and deny it all he wants, DNA doesn't lie

I'm not sure if that his DNA was found because of this tweet from a reporter.

Lawyer for accused Logan murderer likely to apply for bail in Supreme Court, and willing to provide DNA evidence if required

I'm not sure if that his DNA was found because of this tweet from a reporter.

Lawyer for accused Logan murderer likely to apply for bail in Supreme Court, and willing to provide DNA evidence if required

yeaah brah we already established this.. but on the other hand on previous page on social media and according to cory, they have dna evidence and even personal items that were found in the accused house.. i think we will have to wait and see

Thanks for clearing up the evidence info, the online news doesn't have much to say on it as yet.

Where is the link that Adrian Bailey was bashed in jail by prisoners? He was in protective custody since he was first arrested. He did go to hospital at one stage but that was reported as self harm. This young boy is in protective custody and he will remain there, he is the perfect candidate for being a target of other prisoners and possibly self harm (due to the severity and nature of the charges NOT his race).

Folks I'll be going back to remove some posts. This thread is about the murder of Joan but in the blink of an eye it's become a thread about racism.

Please stay on topic & also please watch the name calling...this is not allowed on WS.

Love your work, Marly ( :) ), but Ch 9 just interviewed an aboriginal elder and said tensions are running high in the community. Shouldn't we be able to discuss this aspect of the case?

Thanks, CuriousGrace, for the information. It's a hard call, though, whether I agree with an accused man having to be in jail for years, potentially, before a proper trial. But the alternative is - well, letting a potential rapist and murderer walk around free, or get off due to lack of evidence...

Is it like, 'too bad, so sorry' if he's innocent, though? I'm assuming they'd -have- to have enough evidence to be pretty sure of a conviction. Or I'd hope so, at least.

Love your work, Marly ( :) ), but Ch 9 just interviewed an aboriginal elder and said tensions are running high in the community. Shouldn't we be able to discuss this aspect of the case?

Thanks Strangeworld. Only if it pertains to the case itself. Anything outside of that won't be allowed.

Also as a general reminder to all members...please remember to include media links when stating something as fact.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back