CA CA - Daphne Webb, 21 mos, Oakland, 10 July 2013

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=9168998

" Oakland police say the search for 2-year-old Daphne Webb has expanded into the Oakland Hills. Her father, John Webb, remains in jail on $100,000 bail.

Sources close to the investigation tell me police are trying to get child protective services to release a previous case on this family that could keep him in jail.

The AMBER Alert for the missing girl is still in effect, but the search for the toddler is beginning to look more like a recovery. A police boat used submersible video cameras to comb the Oakland Estuary along the Martin Luther King Jr. Regional Shoreline Wednesday afternoon."

<snip>

"He said his mother, who is suffering from severe dementia, had her purse stolen too. She has been unable to help the investigation. "

<snip>

"The store owner says Webb came in by himself and bought two energy drinks.

"For five minutes he was in the store," said A.J. Abdo, owner of Gazzali's. "He bought an energy drink and left. He was talking on the phone."
<snip>

Something interesting to note -- Webb's older daughter says he called her up after being estranged for a year. They were supposed to meet Wednesday and he realized Daphne was gone while he was talking to his daughter about their meeting. "

much more at link

NBC Bay Area News at 6 just had an interview where Donnie Graham (I assume he is a friend of Webb) said that Webb told him last week that he and the baby went and saw the baby's mother Thursday in rehab. No indication that Donnie saw the baby with Webb when he told him this. If I was the reporter, I would have asked that!

(in response to earlier questions about where the mother is...)

Something interesting to note -- Webb's older daughter says he called her up after being estranged for a year. They were supposed to meet Wednesday and he realized Daphne was gone while he was talking to his daughter about their meeting. "

much more at link
Respectfully Snipped by me

Wow, just wow!
I don't know how to take that...I would have hundreds of questions...was Daphne and the grandma going along to this reunion, where was it to be held, why were they estranged, is the other adult daughter also estranged, do either adult daughter look like woman that allegedly took the baby, did dad become alarmed while on the phone when he discovered baby missing, what prompted the reunion?

I could go on and on....

From reading the article at the link posted by GGE- it doesn't mention the police are looking for the woman that allegedly walked away with the child. That leads me to believe they do not find this as a possibility. I don't have a good feeling about this situation after reading the news report. So sad. I hope beyond hope that they resolve this quickly. Poor little girl.

NBC Bay Area News at 6 just had an interview where Donnie Graham (I assume he is a friend of Webb) said that Webb told him last week that he and the baby went and saw the baby's mother Thursday in rehab. No indication that Donnie saw the baby with Webb when he told him this. If I was the reporter, I would have asked that!

(in response to earlier questions about where the mother is...)

That'll be fairly easy to check.

GGE- are they actively searching right now or are we listening for any breaks in the case?

" Oakland police say the search for 2-year-old Daphne Webb has expanded into the Oakland Hills. Her father, John Webb, remains in jail on $100,000 bail.

Sources close to the investigation tell me police are trying to get child protective services to release a previous case on this family that could keep him in jail.

The AMBER Alert for the missing girl is still in effect, but the search for the toddler is beginning to look more like a recovery. A police boat used submersible video cameras to comb the Oakland Estuary along the Martin Luther King Jr. Regional Shoreline Wednesday afternoon."

<snip>

"He said his mother, who is suffering from severe dementia, had her purse stolen too. She has been unable to help the investigation. "

<snip>

"The store owner says Webb came in by himself and bought two energy drinks.

"For five minutes he was in the store," said A.J. Abdo, owner of Gazzali's. "He bought an energy drink and left. He was talking on the phone."
<snip>

much more at link

JMO but FIVE MINUTES in a store just to buy two energy drinks is a pretty long time. How long does it take to decide what you want to drink???

If it was true that he took the baby to see her mother in rehab, then LE would not have asked if there was anyone who had seen the bsaby in the last 30 days, imo.

I wonder also if it was an accident with the grandmother, and Dad is trying to cover for her.

I remember years ago when my grandfather was suffering from Alzheimer's. We were visiting my grandparents (my grandmother kept him with her as long as possible) and my 3 year old picked up a plastic deer statue. My grandfather started to have a "tug of war" with her over it, and it wasn't playing. My grandmother had to step in with my grandfather, and I with my daughter. It was almost like being in a daycare with small children. Except one was much bigger than the other.

As a photographer I am able to appreciate the beauty of these pictures... the scenery.

v6uj.jpg

ts8l.jpg

wcdt.jpg

As a Mom I get sick at the knowledge of what they are looking for.
:please:

omyg.jpg

The first time I took my camera on a search for a missing child... (happy ending)
I knew that I could probably not be a news photographer. It just isn't in me.
After I took my camera on the second search for a missing child (Ethan Stacy) I knew for sure.

I'm glad there are people out there who can document this, so we can see how hard they are working. :please:

http://photos.mercurynews.com/2013/...21-month-old-daphne-viola-webb-of-oakland/#29

Toddlers can move like lightning. If the grandmother let the toddler out I can see this happening. Guess it would have to be an amazing set of coincidences. But still, I can imagine it. Baby crying, grandma doesn't really know where they are, lets baby out to go find daddy. Especially if the toddler was not buckled in. Stranger happens by at an opportune moment and kidnaps they baby. Could happen. Probably didn't though.

Webb, who lived in Sacramento for a couple decades according to public records, was arrested in that city in 2001 on a felony charge for discharging a firearm with gross negligence and was sentenced to two months in a sheriff's work project, according to court records. In 2002, he was arrested on misdemeanor spousal battery and criminal threats charges. Those charges were dismissed the following year. He has no criminal record in Alameda County.

Webb and his family have not been available for comment since Daphne went missing. The child's mother is not a person of interest, police said.
Police are evaluating a resident's account from several blocks away from the market that a girl with similar clothing was seen with an unidentified black or Latino woman between 30 and 40 years old who had long, straight black hair and was wearing a light-colored shirt and jeans.

If it turns out to be a stranger abduction, Finkelhor said Daphne stands a good chance at surviving the ordeal.

"A child of this age, if abducted, has a good chance of survival because the primary motive (of the abductor) is to raise the child," he said. In addition, an abducted toddler of that age would have trouble identifying the perpetrator, which is often a motive for killing other abducted older children, he said.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking...res-statistical-basis-targeting-parents-early

On tonight's 10:00 KTVU broadcast, there was a wealth of information. I will paraphrase.

"A cadaver dog picked up a scent at the family's home, in a trash can and on a pillow case, but it is unclear if that scent is of Daphne or of something or someone else."

Mom is very pretty, has same eyes as baby.IMO. She has long hair pulled back in a bun, and seems to my untrained eye, to be very concerned. She and her parents were on their way to talk to investigators.

Neighbor of John Webb said that she used to see the baby, but hasn't seen or heard the baby's voice in 4-6 weeks. Not since the mom left.

Police returned to Dad's apartment for about 1/2 hour and appeared to take video.

As I said, this is from the 10 pm KTVU news. I checked the website, but video isn't posted yet. Maybe tomorrow. I also heard there may be a press conference tomorrow at 7 am from Channel 4's 11:00 news.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back