GUILTY TX - Alanna Gallagher, 6, Saginaw, 1 July 2013 - #14

I had to google for a minute (it's been a long time since anatomy class):

Four muscles make up the base of the tongue:

1. Genioglossus - runs along lower chin/bottom of tongue, to base of tongue (still inside mouth)
2. Styloglossus - roughly the sides of tongue up to jaw joint @ cheekbone
3. Palatoglossus - this is the one you can see at the sides of your throat when you open your mouth really wide that connect to the "top" (this is the muscle your tonsile reside within)
4. Hyoglossus - I think this is our muscle of note: it is very thin and goes into the throat to connect to the hyoid bone which is important in many vocalizations......I'm no pathologist, but looking at anatomy charts and the black eye, I'm guessing (stress on guessing) that the trajectory of the shot went through here and impacted a sinus cavity under his eye? Can't answer why there isn't an apparent exit wound.....just throwing it out there.

Re: significance of hyoglossus & hyoid bone to speech:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-hyoglossus.htm

ESP in light of warrant on phone.....

And WHO would want to be listing agent on THAT house? Good luck w/ the FSBO (For Sale By Owner).

Shoot forget the RE agent, who in the world would want to purchase that house especially knowing she likely was killed there? Shudder. I forsee a house that sits empty for a very, very long time

I had to google for a minute (it's been a long time since anatomy class):

Four muscles make up the base of the tongue:

1. Genioglossus - runs along lower chin/bottom of tongue, to base of tongue (still inside mouth)
2. Styloglossus - roughly the sides of tongue up to jaw joint @ cheekbone
3. Palatoglossus - this is the one you can see at the sides of your throat when you open your mouth really wide that connect to the "top" (this is the muscle your tonsile reside within)
4. Hyoglossus - I think this is our muscle of note: it is very thin and goes into the throat to connect to the hyoid bone which is important in many vocalizations......I'm no pathologist, but looking at anatomy charts and the black eye, I'm guessing (stress on guessing) that the trajectory of the shot went through here and impacted a sinus cavity under his eye? Can't answer why there isn't an apparent exit wound.....just throwing it out there.

Re: significance of hyoglossus & hyoid bone to speech:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-hyoglossus.htm

Maybe they went in and retrieved the bullet. They could do that through the mouth, under the upper lip, and go into the sinus cavity... no external signs except bruising as we see. Also, his mouth is closed...for all we know, his jaw is wired shut. He had some type of severe damage in there for his airway to be compromised enough to need a temporary trach. :twocents:

I'm usually half right and half left.

I really hope he lost his tongue. It looks like he doesn't have enough damage. MOO

He could have a lot of internal facial and mouth injuries, fractures, even nerve damage. Any surgery for those things would be, most likely, from the inside of the mouth. We'll just have to wait and see if he can speak. Jaw could be wired.

MOO and all that

Maybe they went in and retrieved the bullet. They could do that through the mouth, under the upper lip, and go into the sinus cavity... no external signs except bruising as we see. Also, his mouth is closed...for all we know, his jaw is wired shut. He had some type of severe damage in there for his airway to be compromised enough to need a temporary trach. :twocents:

It would be interesting to know how long he's had the black eye and scleral damage, whether it predates his trip to the hospital or is the result of surgery to retrieve the bullet or other related repairs.

My aunt had an aneurism rupture in her brain years ago and had to have surgery to repair it. Her eye was swollen and almost black for a couple of weeks, and looked a lot like his does now for weeks longer. The doctors said it was caused by swelling (caused by internal bleeding) in the area of the brain behind the eye. It's very possible that the bullet did continue in close to that area, or the bleeding from where it was may have just made its way up that far. MOO

Imvho, maybe someone kind & caring can purchase that house, and make it a real home full of love, laughter, peace and joy...a place where a child like Alanna won't come to harm... erase the shadow of pain that lingers over it...it's bricks & mortar- what lurked inside is gone...and dear Alanna's spirit has moved on

good CAN trump evil, in some fashion?
don't you think?

My aunt had an aneurism rupture in her brain years ago and had to have surgery to repair it. Her eye was swollen and almost black for a couple of weeks, and looked a lot like his does now for weeks longer. The doctors said it was caused by swelling (caused by internal bleeding) in the area of the brain behind the eye. It's very possible that the bullet did continue in close to that area, or the bleeding from where it was may have just made its way up that far. MOO

He was struggling with an agent for a gun. He could have gotten that shiner by being hit in the eye area. I don't believe that bullet went through his brain. He would have been out a lot longer than.

On youtube I found this series of interviews with sex offenders, mostly paedophile. I think it's supposed to an education video for professionals who work with these people.

In Part 2, about 6:30 minutes in the interview begins talking to a man named Gerald. His stories are graphic but one that caught my attention was his fetish for putting a bag around his victim's head, sealing it off with duct tape, and releasing it before his victim died. Makes me wonder if it's a common form of abuse in circles like that. Where was TH getting his ideas from I wonder.

All the interviews are fascinating.

Part 1 Sex, Lies, and Sex Offenders - Part 1 - Protect your children from dangerous people! - YouTube
Part 2 Sex, Lies, and Sex Offenders - Part 2 - Sadistic vs Non-Sadistic Offenders - Protect your children! - YouTube

I'm sure she'd LIKE to sell it and get away from the horrors, but I don't see it listed for sale.

They just went back on Weds. with another search warrant (which I'd still like to see). I'd think that if you were selling your home, it would have to be cleared by LE and the crime scene (?) would need to be finished being processed. :dunno:

I agree. The LE would have to clear the house if she wanted to sell it. Also, it probably isn't in very good condition right now. I remember LE said they took things like drain pipes. When they gather evidence, they don't worry too much about the condition of what they left behind.

I picture missing floor coverings (carpet, tile or wood), torn up furniture, missing sinks and drain pipes. They can basically take anything they want if they think there may be evidence.

Pedophiles have Phd's in their hobby area.

What I mean is that they study, dream and plan,

It is so hard to believe that this was his first crime against children besides bullying,

But every criminal has to start somewhere. This guy was only 17.

Pedophiles have Phd's in their hobby area.

What I mean is that they study, dream and plan,

It is so hard to believe that this was his first crime against children besides bullying,

He may never have been left in a position where he was alone with other young children. Regardless, I don't think we will hear about him molesting anyone else if it did happen.

I do believe this is his first crime of this nature. If he had committed any others he would have been caught.

I think his internet activities are at least partially responsible for the things he did to Alanna. In other words, I think he got ideas from the internet. This is and has been an ongoing concern of mine as we see these young offenders commit more and more horrific crimes. Unfortunately, I don't see how we will ever be able to prevent people from accessing all the horrible things that can be found online.

This "internet safety" could be a whole other topic for another thread. Does anyone know if we have one already here on WS's?

Yes, however it usually happens that this type of perp escalates from lesser crimes, like voyeurism or indecent exposure, to molestation but leaving the victim alive, and then on to rape with or without murder. Having said that, the perp usually begins his life of crime where he feels safe, ie at or near home. Maybe this truly was TH' s first foray into this kind of thing and really was a crime of opportunity, albeit fed by his online activities and self-confessed sex with men.

He started pretty high up by killing. Usually, there are lesser crimes that are done before

He could very well have done smaller things (such as a tire slashing incident) but hasn't got caught.

We will probably not know until trial what was on his computer either. There could be an ongoing fascination with children.

He may never have been left in a position where he was alone with other young children. Regardless, I don't think we will hear about him molesting anyone else if it did happen.

I do believe this is his first crime of this nature. If he had committed any others he would have been caught.

I think his internet activities are at least partially responsible for the things he did to Alanna. In other words, I think he got ideas from the internet. This is and has been an ongoing concern of mine as we see these young offenders commit more and more horrific crimes. Unfortunately, I don't see how we will ever be able to prevent people from accessing all the horrible things that can be found online.

This "internet safety" could be a whole other topic for another thread. Does anyone know if we have one already here on WS's?
We have this sticky in the Resources forum.

Keeping Children Safe Online - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I'm not sure if there is a discussion thread there. Let me look around a little more.

We will probably not know until trial what was on his computer either. There could be an ongoing fascination with children.

I would hope that there would not be a trial. Unless, TH talks and names his accomplice, it there is one. I believe there is and I believe they will be caught. AG parents have been through enough, those poor people. IMO

Imvho, maybe someone kind & caring can purchase that house, and make it a real home full of love, laughter, peace and joy...a place where a child like Alanna won't come to harm... erase the shadow of pain that lingers over it...it's bricks & mortar- what lurked inside is gone...and dear Alanna's spirit has moved on

good CAN trump evil, in some fashion?
don't you think?

Someone brave. I could never live anywhere where a child was murdered, it would haunt me. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back