Judge orders parents to change son's name because only Jesus earned name Messiah

Omg, does anyone remember those parents who named their son "Adolph Hitler"? They had other children named after prominent Nazi figures. They wanted their sons name written on a birthday cake, but were refused. Those kids were taken away due to suspected abuse. Thank goodness I'll never understand the thought process of some people!

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

Omg, does anyone remember those parents who named their son "Adolph Hitler"? They had other children named after prominent Nazi figures. They wanted their sons name written on a birthday cake, but were refused. Those kids were taken away due to suspected abuse. Thank goodness I'll never understand the thought process of some people!

Yep, I remember that guy. According to the Daily Mail, he's engaged to a new woman now and she's preggers, so this is baby #4 or #5 (or who knows!) for Isadore Heath Campbell.

Now, I'm gonna play Devil's advocate and also admit to maybe a little hypocrisy (and will duck at the same time, lol!)

And, for the record, these are two completely different scenarios, but technically, I think they go to the same point.

There is a thread on here somewhere for a family in which the son was named 'Adolf Hitler'. I think it came to public attention because a store refused to use the name to decorate his birthday cake.

The kids were taken from the parents, at some point, and there was a little more as to why then just the name, IIRC, but we went back and forth on the parents' right to use a name of their choosing. I don't even rember how I responded (my mind is subject to changing by the year, month, day or even hour at my age, lol), but I do remember that I thought their parenting was highly suspect if they could do this to their child (aside from my other feelings about them as people).

Anyway, choosing the name Messiah or Jesus, or whatever, despite my personal discomfort, pales compared to Adolph Hitler, however, there are some who would argue, by law (and constitutionally protected freedom of speech), they are one and the same issue.

:worms:

:truce:

Sorry- you posted this as I was rambling away, typing my post :floorlaugh:

There have been people who named their children JFMAMJJASOND, which is the first letter of every month. Another mom named her children, twins, Chlamydia and Gonnorrhea. I have never heard of a judge making parents change the name of their child. I would imagine that is a violation of the Constitution. Big time.

That's just what I was going to bring up! Not sure whom I side with on this one- the stupidity of using this religious name- Jews don't believe Jesus was the Messiah or that he's arrived- or the judge determining that only Jesus gets this name.

Um, Jesus was a common given name at the beginning of the first century, C.E. Jesus Christ might have been named "Bob", but his parents spoke Aramaic rather than English.

There is nothing disrespectful about naming your child "Jesus", however you pronounce it.

It's the "Christ" part that is the title, a Greek word meaning "anointed one". "Messiah" is more or less the Hebrew equivalent.

Regardless, the judge is in clear violation of the Constitution. Whether the parents can afford to hire an appellate attorney is another matter; appellate law is a specialized field.

They should probably try contacting the ACLU or a group called the Freedom from Religion Foundation.

A couple of people mentioned Moses as a name they wouldn't use -- but it's common in Jewish traditions. Hispanic too, I think.

Not that that's really relevant :)

Um, Jesus was a common given name at the beginning of the first century, C.E. Jesus Christ might have been named "Bob", but his parents spoke Aramaic rather than English.

There is nothing disrespectful about naming your child "Jesus", however you pronounce it.

It's the "Christ" part that is the title, a Greek word meaning "anointed one". "Messiah" is more or less the Hebrew equivalent.

Regardless, the judge is in clear violation of the Constitution. Whether the parents can afford to hire an appellate attorney is another matter; appellate law is a specialized field.

They should probably try contacting the ACLU or a group called the Freedom from Religion Foundation.

Thanks, Nova. I can always count on you for helpful and unbiased feedback. I always wondered about the name Jesus, as most of the Hispanic people I know are Roman Catholic or some other Christian denomination and I know they would not use it in a blasphemous (sp?) way. I figured Messiah was similar and I know it is not uncommon among African American names.

I'm pretty sure the ACLU is already in on this one. Crazy news like this travels fast!

The judge would love part of my longtime deceased family name: Queen Victoria. Wouldn't Jesus be THE Messiah or Saviour to Christians and The coming messiah is what the Jewish religion is looking for.

A couple of people mentioned Moses as a name they wouldn't use -- but it's common in Jewish traditions. Hispanic too, I think.

Good point!

Which is exactly why we should be free to choose our children's names. Opinions are like, well, you know, and we all have them. Not everyone is going to like every name. If we did, I wouldn't feel bile rising in my throat at the mention of a child named North.

Also, where would the line be drawn? My nephew is named after a king in the Bible. I wonder if this judge is offended by that?

Not that that's really relevant :)
Yes it is, the Hebrew name is Moshe, and I've even met a dog named Moshe who was female!

And what about people named Christian, Christopher, Chris, Christ, Kristin, Christina???

I can't even opine about this at all, it is so outlandish a ruling.

Separation of church and state? You're doing it wrong.

Now, I'm gonna play Devil's advocate and also admit to maybe a little hypocrisy (and will duck at the same time, lol!)

And, for the record, these are two completely different scenarios, but technically, I think they go to the same point.

There is a thread on here somewhere for a family in which the son was named 'Adolf Hitler'. I think it came to public attention because a store refused to use the name to decorate his birthday cake.

The kids were taken from the parents, at some point, and there was a little more as to why then just the name, IIRC, but we went back and forth on the parents' right to use a name of their choosing. I don't even rember how I responded (my mind is subject to changing by the year, month, day or even hour at my age, lol), but I do remember that I thought their parenting was highly suspect if they could do this to their child (aside from my other feelings about them as people).

Anyway, choosing the name Messiah or Jesus, or whatever, despite my personal discomfort, pales compared to Adolph Hitler, however, there are some who would argue, by law (and constitutionally protected freedom of speech), they are one and the same issue.

:worms:

:truce:

Well said.

I think the Judge should be publicly reprimanded/sanctioned, and I can imagine there are some who will line up to advocate for this family.

Judges used her power to force her opinion on these parents.

Not cool.

Or legal, IMO.

I don't know what to think. People give their kids ridiculous names all the time. I don't know what is wrong with people. Why would anyone name their child Messiah? Why not cut to the chase and just call him God or Supreme Being or Most Wonderful Creation in the Universe? Aren't we special, we gave birth to God! Human beings are the most self-absorbed creatures on the planet. Stories like this really bring out the misanthrope in me.

I can't agree with the judge on this one, although i don't care for the name "Messiah". But on the other hand, I totally agree that parents cannot name their child a name like Adolph Hitler. Messiah seem a bit delusional but Hitler is downright abusive because it subjects the child to ridicule and revulsion.

Oh I taught school and roll call was always a trip. I had a boys named Pharoah, Demon, Mihceal (misspelled Michael) and girls with name like Quandrinique, Gercia (pronounced Jerika) and one little girl we all called Leelee because her name was like 14 letters long with TWO accent marks and all and the poor child would have to spend too much time writing out her given name.

Sometimes parents ridiculous, pretentious or just flat out made up names were a plague to the children who had to deal with them. I always allowed the child to be called by what they wanted to be called and they preferred short and sweet nicknames.

Now I live in the country and am amused by the nicknames that people end up with here. I know of people like Taterhead, TaterBug, Boonie, which is better than some of the names I have heard the firefighters bestow on each other such as Clyde the whacker (yeah guess what he was caught doing) and D****Bag Bob.

I took great care and picked a classic yet normal name for my son and yet to this day, 20 something years later, I still just call him by his baby nickname "Boogie".

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back