IA IA - KLUNDER, Michael J: Violent Sexual Offender, Murderer, and Suspected SK

Officials discover Klunder had local connection
From 1992 to 2011, Klunder served 19 years of a 41-year sentence for kidnapping two 3-year-olds before leaving the girls in a dumpster and holding a 21-year-old woman at knifepoint before she escaped. Inmates can accrue earned time while in prison, and the parole board released Klunder to the residential facility to serve out the remainder of his sentence.

While on work release, Klunder worked for Hay Construction. Steve Hay, president of Hay Construction, said Klunder worked there from mid-October 2010 to January 2011.
Woman feared Iowa kidnapping suspect's release
By RYAN J. FOLEY | Associated Press – Fri, May 24, 2013

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — The ex-girlfriend of a man suspected of kidnapping two Iowa girls this week worried that he would harm her and her family before his impending release from prison in 2011, citing prior sexual and physical abuse and threats, according to court records released Friday.
His ex-girlfriend had a child with Klunder and they lived together in 1991, when he was arrested for two kidnappings and later sentenced to 41 years in prison. When seeking a no-contact order a month before his release from a work-release facility in February 2011, she alleged that Klunder had subjected her to "sexual trauma" and physical abuse during their relationship. He had pushed her into a wall, grabbed her by the throat, threatened her with a raised fist, punched a hole in the wall behind her head and threw her across a room, she said.

Experienced psychopathic sexual predators will do exactly the opposite of what you think they would do. That's why they are so elusive. Imo, the most damning thing that points to MJK as being the person responsible for E & L's abduction/murders is the rarity of female child victim pair abductions within 10 months and 80 miles of each incident. The probability of this happening is astronomical, imo..

I think there's a common misconception that psychopaths are actually irrational people, but most that I've been aware of seem to be more organized and logical in what they do than most people. I'm guessing that's mainly because they don't usually get sidetracked by emotions. I see more dissimilarities between the two cases than I see similarities. The ages were different, the location was different, the bodies were disposed of differently, and probably other things I'm forgetting at the moment. MJK seemed to be pretty sloppy with his two victims, while E&L's killer left very little evidence from the way it sounds. I'm more inclined to think that MJK heard about their case and decided to try two at once himself. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time that I've been wrong (and probably not the last). MOO

Has it been established if this guy is a suspect in Lyric and Elizabeth's case?

The one reason I didn't expect him to be involved is that I wouldn't expect him to leave them where they were found. If he were going to take them 20 miles away and didn't live in the area, why not take them farther away to a place where he could spend as much time with them as he wanted without worrying about any searchers running across him? I know 20 miles is farther away than most searches go initially, but it doesn't make much sense to take them to a place that might have people close enough to hear them (fishermen, hikers, whatever) in the middle of the day so I believe they were killed somewhere else and then brought there.

If they were taken farther away before dying, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to head closer to their homes to get rid of the bodies. Because of that, I tend to the murder actually happened somewhere between the two sites. Unless MJK knew someone who lived in a fairly secluded place between there, I just don't see it being him. It would be nice if it was him so other girls aren't at risk, but I don't know that they could ever prove it was him (unless he had a partner who confesses). Sorry if this is as jumbled as it sounds to me. MOO

That's a good point, but we don't know how comfortable he was with the area where they were found or whether he had dealings with one of the pig farms in the area. The boys' home he lived in for part of his teen years is in Bremer County and 7 Bridges might well be in his comfort zone. If he had dealings with farmers in the area, that could have renewed his comfort and allowed him to locate unused barns or other facilities.

Well. . . (deep subject :floorlaugh: ) after watching Greta Van Sustern's special regarding Israel Keyes and recently watching an ID show regarding serial killer, Derrick Todd Lee, and all the reading of Klunder's violent past and the recent information regarding Laura Babcock's disappearance being linked to Dellen Millard, I think at this point in history, evil people blend in really well with society, unfortunately. And now it's not even that the killers have a "type", they just want to kill.

* I do want to add that I think Elizabeth and Lyric's killer/s are closer than anyone realizes or anyone within the family wants to admit. :stormingmad: :jail:

Gotta wonder if Klunder had access to one of these:

Millard also owned a recently purchased livestock incinerator -- but owned no livestock.
http://www.examiner.com/article/del...for-connection-to-laura-babcock-disappearance

However, if I remember correctly, I read a most informative link posted by a wonderful Websleuther that listed the ways livestock could properly be disposed of in Iowa and a livestock incinerator was not mentioned. Hmmmmm... I'm thinking Klunder probably planned to dump K&D's bodies in the river at the time he abducted them. Thank God, one got away!

Klunder took Kathlynn and her friend by calling out to them.

He was in his car at the time.

How do you think he got L&L? He can't have been in his car, he must've been waiting for them, out of his car, on the bike path.

How did he know they were going to the bike path? Allegedly it was the first time ever so he couldn't have anticipated it.

Klunder got K and her friend because they were innocent and unprepared. We know L&L had stranger danger training, and had been taught to fight back.

It doesn't fit, :cow:

Gotta wonder if Klunder had access to one of these:

http://www.examiner.com/article/del...for-connection-to-laura-babcock-disappearance

However, if I remember correctly, I read a most informative link posted by a wonderful Websleuther that listed the ways livestock could properly be disposed of and a livestock incinerator was not mentioned. Hmmmmm... I'm thinking Klunder probably planned to dump K&D's bodies in the river at the time he abducted them. Thank God, one got away!

If he had got access to one, L&L would never have been found.

:moo:

Klunder took Kathlynn and her friend by calling out to them.

He was in his car at the time.

How do you think he got L&L? He can't have been in his car, he must've been waiting for them, out of his car, on the bike path.

How did he know they were going to the bike path? Allegedly it was the first time ever so he couldn't have anticipated it.

Klunder got K and her friend because they were innocent and unprepared. We know L&L had stranger danger training, and had been taught to fight back.

It doesn't fit, :cow:

But, wasn't the training more about what to do if someone grabs you and not if someone asked you if you wanted to earn some money?

He could have been fishing. His friend was not home, so he was fishing and the girls came along and he saw them. :seeya:

If he had got access to one, L&L would never have been found.

:moo:

So true! Never found out if he had access to a big freezer though. . .

I think his MO was going to be how he disposed of K's body, except the river was low and there had not been any rain, so he left the bodies close to the river, but yet hidden just enough. He knew that if and when the rains came the river would flood and the bodies or what remained would be washed away along with any evidence. :truce:

But, wasn't the training more about what to do if someone grabs you and not if someone asked you if you wanted to earn some money?

He could have been fishing. His friend was not home, so he was fishing and the girls came along and he saw them. :seeya:

Yeah maybe. Or maybe he was nowhere near Evansdale, Iowa that day.

I stumbled onto something the other day. It seems MK's father passed away about a month ago. The obituary was online. His father lived at Nashua, which is north of Waterloo a little bit. And it appears MK has a step brother who lives in Waterloo.

I stumbled onto something the other day. It seems MK's father passed away about a month ago. The obituary was online. His father lived at Nashua, which is north of Waterloo a little bit. And it appears MK has a step brother who lives in Waterloo.

Do you have a link you can post for us? Thanks in advance.

Something else, I don't know if anyone else has realized it, at the time L and L disappeared from Evansdale, MK was living in Ellsworth Iowa. That would put him 15 to 20 miles closer to Evansdale. He moved to Stratford early this year, I am thinking January or February.~

Something else, I don't know if anyone else has realized it, at the time L and L disappeared from Evansdale, MK was living in Ellsworth Iowa. That would put him 15 to 20 miles closer to Evansdale. He moved to Stratford early this year, I am thinking January or February.~

Thanx for the interesting info, robert goren.. Are you local? The links for the info would be very helpful. It would be interesting to know if MJK had access to an old box shaped SUV..

Google Map link:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...A_uhzF5uZgCTrdOjg&oq=ellsworth&mra=ls&t=m&z=9

Foxfire , I live in Boone. I am very familiar with the area where Kathlynn Shepard and DH were taken to by MK. Also Sunlight thank you for posting the link, I didn't know how to do it without it being blocked.

Foxfire , I live in Boone. I am very familiar with the area where Kathlynn Shepard and DH were taken to by MK. Also Sunlight thank you for posting the link, I didn't know how to do it without it being blocked.

Welcome Robert, what is your opinion of MJK's involvement in E & L's abduction/murders. Has there been any local ms media updates or other local forums, etc. that are discussing or providing more info on MJK?

I think LE needs to take a good hard look at MK. His MO of double kidnapping is very rare from what I have read. We have 2 double kidnappings in 10 months within 120 miles of each other and MK had ties to the area. The Iowa DCI has never released anymore about MK since the search for KS, they said during the search they were going to release more info but never have. I think the Evansdale PD had a press release in the Des Moines Register in late July. They said the reason they weren't releasing any information about the evidence was because there was so little evidence they didn't want to compromise what they did have.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back