PA PA - Holly Branagan, 17, Bethlehem, 28 March 1979

Removing the knife handle has been suggested. I do not know if this has been done. Hollys clothing and weapon have been tested many times with different labs. Investigators have numerous unaccounted fingerprints from the crime scene as well as Hollys fingernails.

That is great and welcomed news!

I think this could be a definite possibility:::

She is a senior in high school, right? So she is definilty old enough to have a boyfriend. I think she called to "make sure" her father was on his way to New Jersey already so that she could have someone in the house who normally wasn't allowed in the home. I am thinking a boyfriend or even if she was possibly gay, a girlfriend. Perhaps she was going to have this person over to have sex or to just spend the night with them, or perhaps she was about to break up with someone. But if that were the case, if she was about to break it off, I don't see why she would call to make sure her dad was on his way out of the state. I think it's more likely that she was having a boyfriend or girlfriend over for some time alone together kind of a thing. Now the question to me is this, is it possible that she recentally broke it off with someone else? Maybe this person wanted her back? I think she was waiting for the person she wanted to spend time with, and the old person, an old boyfriend or old girlfriend shows up at the house. Her dad said you can see outside to the porch to see who is there. So she hears a knock or the doorbell rings, she hangs up with the last person she spoke to, she sees it is her ex out there, and she lets them into the home, figuring they just want her back and she will be as nice as possible and explain to this person it is over. They come in she tries to be nice about it, it doesn't work. Maybe she's even hurrying them along because she is expecting someone else over the house, so she ends up being a little bit curt with them and it doesn't sit well with whoever is over there and they end up in a fight. It escalates and they end up screaming in the kitchen. WHo knows who picked up the knife first, but either way the other person ends up stabbing Holly and not the other way around. If this was someone she was dating, I am sure he or she has been in the home before and knows their way to the bathroom, etc. And putting the phone off the hook, almost seems to me like someone wants her to be found. If you take the phone off the hook and people get a busy signal for a long time, they are more apt to check on the person than if the phone just keeps ringing. Ringing usually means someone is out. A busy signal consistently for a day or so usually means something is wrong. Just some thoughts.

Double Bump

This is heartbreaking. I graduated in 1977 so I was close to Holly's age. I never look at cold cases since the trials I follow are big and keeping up with them is hard. However, I just discovered this case and my hopes were high that something, anything would be discovered and Holly would at last receive justice. But no info. Not sure what happened to the Grand Jury???

Were there WOUNDS TO THE HANDS of any of Holly's friends. The use of a knife carries with it the good chance of injury to the killer due to the knife slipping. And if that was the case the CHANCE OF THE KILLERS DNA would be there as well. I'm afraid the forensics back then aren't going to be a huge help.

The clock seems hinky to me, (how many times do we actually know the TOD?!) but it seems like LE truly believe that time is correct.

I'm not sure if the killer was a male...but I also don't think one female could do this on her own?

God I wish someone would tell somebody something. Poor Holly...all these years. Dammit all.

Bump....somebody knows something....it only takes 1 phone call.

Bumping again, keep her case out there in the spotlight

Is it odd for LE to say they are closing in on a suspect? Don't they normal saying nothing till an arrest? Even naming POI's lately has become uncommon - at least in cases I've been following...
Wonder if they are saying that to see who up's and suddenly goes on the run...

Bumping, anything new with this case?

I am heartbroken for her poor dad, having lost his children. I don't think his son's death was accidental, either. It's been over a year since cops said they had a POI. What happened with that?

This case fits in with Lindy Biechler in the following ways.
1-Same State
2-Both girls killed in their house
3-Both girls killed with knives from their own home
4- An overkill aspect to both
5-The knife was found sticking in their bodies

Wonder if police ever looked at links in these cases?

Both found in the kitchen.

Frustrating case,certainly some similarities to the Biechler case

No sign of forced entry in either case from what i read. I wonder if in one or both someone posed as repairman and knocked on the door and the girls lead them in to the kitchen for inspection/repair etc. And the attack occurred sometime later.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back