Found Deceased ME - Gerry Largay, 66, Appalachian Trail, 21 July 2013

A truly baffling case. At this point, we can only hope that her remains are found sometime in the near future, perhaps when all the leaf cover is gone in Fall and Winter.

Welcome to WS. I hope you're right. I'm afraid that though the bare branches might help visibility, the leaf fall is likely to cover any traces of her.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Hus...d_for_information_on_missing_Maine_hiker.html

The husband of a Tennessee woman last seen hiking on the Appalachian Trail in Franklin County in July is offering a $15,000 reward for information on her whereabouts.

I hope this will help, but don't hold out much hope. I really think if someone had seen something, they would have come forward by now.

There is a memorial celebration planned at their old church in GA on 10/12/13. I truly thought by now we'd have some answers.

Can anyone remember reading a specific time that George received the text from Gerry atop Saddleback Mountain?

I thought at one time I read 12:00pm, but I can't find it anywhere.

Anyone have that info???

This is a real mystery.
Found this poster for Gerry - hoping the Hunting Season will inform people who will be in the area she went missing.
Hoping they find something soon.

m%20largay%20poster.jpg

In one of the very first new reports Police were looking for these hikers from the hiking community - I wonder if they found them ...
Source: News Video - See More...

"Cowboy" "Marathon" "Postman" "Breeze" "Paranoid" "Crunchmaster" "Harpo/Groucho" "Icepack/SOBO" "13" "Luke 11:9" "Sandman" "BBTGR" "com/Queen"

Can anyone remember reading a specific time that George received the text from Gerry atop Saddleback Mountain?

I thought at one time I read 12:00pm, but I can't find it anywhere.

Anyone have that info???

Source Article...
Gerry sent a text to her husband at 7:15 a.m. on July 24th — the day they planned to connect – but she never arrived.

Sorry guys, I had the dates wrong. The Sunday that George last saw Gerry was Sunday, July 21st. She went missing after leaving the Poplar Ridge LT on Monday, July 22nd.

This past Saturday there was a memorial celebration for Gerry's life. It was amazing to see so many people whose lives she and George have touched.

I remember when they first planned this, and I was so sure we'd have answers by now. It's hard to believe that they really don't know any more than they did on the first day.

George and their kids all spoke, as well as some close friends. There were so many heartbreaking moments. Her SIL broke down when praying for the searchers, George talking about how she wrote him a letter every day while he was in the service, the bagpiper playing Amazing Grace as Gerry always wanted. It was so surreal to see her birth date and no death date...just an empty space.

There were many references to the mountains - both the literal mountains and the metaphorical and Biblical mountains.

This is an incredibly faithful family with a lot of support. I only hope that one day they get answers, and that somehow they can find peace.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/_Pr...earches_for_Largay_on_Appalachian_Trail_.html

Posted:Today
Updated: 12:19 AM
By MATT HONGOLTZ-HETLING Morning Sentinel

Thanks summer_breeze - Im glad there are people out there that still keep on searching for Gerry. I know that her family has already had a memorial service for her, but it would be nice for her to be found, or some evidence turn up of what happened to her.

Hunters or others in the area who see something that they think might be connected to Largay are asked not to collect or disturb the items. Instead, police ask that the finder mark or flag the area, note the GPS coordinates if possible, take pictures, and call the Maine State Police at 624-7076.

Maybe something will turn up from the people out hunting.

It's sad but not really that baffling. She was in a remote area on a wilderness trail. If she fell, or had a medical emergency that caused her to become confused, or if she simply missed a turn and became lost, she could easily have become lost in a place where no one could find her. It's sad, but it happens. In that part of the mountains, a search party could have walked within five feet of her and not seen her. There are places where they could have been standing within inches and not seen her.

I haven't hiked that particular trail but I have hiked in the region. The trails tend to be rugged and rocky, with frequent steep and slippery parts. The undergrowth is often heavy, especially in late summer. We once had an incident where we temporarily lost our thirteen-year-old son when he went off the trail by accident. We knew within 500 feet where he had to be and it still took us 20 minutes to find him. He could hear us calling but because of the oddities of mountain acoustics we couldn't hear him. Fortunately he was smart enough to just sit down and stay where he was until he could get my husband's attention. More experienced hikers tend to keep walking in what they think is the direction of the trail; they often get themselves more and more lost.

It's sad but not really that baffling. She was in a remote area on a wilderness trail. If she fell, or had a medical emergency that caused her to become confused, or if she simply missed a turn and became lost, she could easily have become lost in a place where no one could find her. It's sad, but it happens. In that part of the mountains, a search party could have walked within five feet of her and not seen her. There are places where they could have been standing within inches and not seen her.

I haven't hiked that particular trail but I have hiked in the region. The trails tend to be rugged and rocky, with frequent steep and slippery parts. The undergrowth is often heavy, especially in late summer. We once had an incident where we temporarily lost our thirteen-year-old son when he went off the trail by accident. We knew within 500 feet where he had to be and it still took us 20 minutes to find him. He could hear us calling but because of the oddities of mountain acoustics we couldn't hear him. Fortunately he was smart enough to just sit down and stay where he was until he could get my husband's attention. More experienced hikers tend to keep walking in what they think is the direction of the trail; they often get themselves more and more lost.

Unfortunately, this is so true, and happens so often :(
I am concerned though, until something is found - a clue - anything - that if the circumstances of Gerry being missing isn't because she wandered off the trail or had a fall, that all avenues of reason as to why she has disappeared have been covered.

I really hope they find something in the not too distance future that will give answers as to why Gerry went missing.

Baffling case...

I hope Gerry is found at some point... In some condition... That will help the family find closure...

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back