Hailey Dunn: General Discussion thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two points there. Firstly, a DA is an elected politician, usually they have an office with assistant DAs staffing it who do the actual prosecutions. The DA plays a managerial role. Snyder is a small county, but even so I expect there are more than one DA in the office. If the elected DA retired, one of the staffers would fill that position until the next election. I think it is improbable that any DA would retire when the case of their career was pending though, so you could read that as to mean that no charges are pending in Snyder.

Tugela why do you think you know everything? I live in Snyder and the DA RETIRED...... And guess what Perry just appointed Mr. Smith as our new DA!!! don't believe me? go to Snyder Daily News...

The second point is that since the discovery of the body, the FBI has apparently been the goto agency for comment (even the Snyder sheriffs department directed reporters to talk to them in one news report). That implies that the FBI has claimed jurisdiction. Alternatively, the Snyder sheriff's department has recognized that they do not have the expertise or experience to conduct an investigation like this. If the FBI does have jurisdiction, then the case would be prosecuted in federal court by a US attorney/assistant attorney.

The case will be tried in Snyder.

If they determine that the body was dumped in Snyder, but the crime took place in CC (for example), then the case would be sent back to that county for prosecution. Since the FBI is apparently still running the investigation I would guess that as far as they know, the crime did not happen in CC. Either that, or they just don't want Toombs doing the investigation.

In any event, because of the publicity associated with this case, a trial likely would not be held in any of the local towns, it would probably be in one of the neighbouring cities.

The judge has already stated the case will be tried here in Scurry County- you really need to get a subscription to the Snyder Daily News and then you too will be in the know- and not just ASSUMING.

Here it is about the law enforcement question- The city of Snyder is in Scurry County. The police work for the city-Snyder
The county sheriff's work for the -county- Scurry county.
So the police work in the city and the sherriffs work in the county. The lake is in the county- therefore the sherriffs work that case.
The DA (ms. Cooley) retired so she could teach at a university in Lubbock- and all I can say is awesome!! There have been no murder trials in Snyder for YEARS!!!!! Gov. Perry has named our new DA- so maybe soon we will have something!!

The judge has already stated the case will be tried here in Scurry County- you really need to get a subscription to the Snyder Daily News and then you too will be in the know- and not just ASSUMING.

Please tell the specifics... what judge, what was said, date published, etc... I don't have a subscription to the snyder newspaper to read it. Why have other news sources not reported this? That is big news IMO. Thanks

Why do unsubstantiated rumors continue to be tolerated here?

I have no idea CM, it does seem a bit long, but I trust LE knows what they are doing and have a good reason.

However this petition is odd, IMO. Feel the same way about the drive to flood the cold case show, with requests to look at Hailey's case.

I imagine the reason probably is that there are only a few bones and no cause of death.

Under those circumstances they would probably want to hold on to the remains as long as they could, since they might not know what evidence on the remains was relevant or what they should be looking for.

Keep in mind that the remains could well be being held with the consent of BD and CD.

Except, BD is the driving force for the petition currently on change.org.

So could one parent consent and not the other?

I don't think so. One parent's consent can't overrule another's. I guess this case is a bit different since the two parents were effectively separated. BD would probably have priority under those circumstances, so if she wants the remains and LE won't release them, it implies that their evidentiary value is not exhausted.

It probably means that the cause and circumstances of death is unknown.

It could also mean (in the case of very limited remains) that the bones show signs of particular trauma, such as gunshot wounds or evidence of a blade, that could potentially in the future be matched up to a weapon. I imagine LE would hang onto any individual bones that showed that sort of damage, even if the rest of the body was released for burial.

If, for example, in an investigation they only had a skull with a bullet hole in it as evidence, they would probably want to retain that until the case was resolved.

The only physical evidence of a crime they likely have are these bones, so I can see why they would want to keep them, even if there was nothing immediately unusual about them. They wouldn't need to keep them if they had a host of other evidence for what happened.

I feel so discouraged and like there will never be justice for Hailey. I pray and will keep the faith that there will be, but it is taking so long and it is so quiet. I am having a very difficult time being patient with this. No one should ever get away with doing this to another human being, let alone an innocent child. R.I.P. baby girl. You are loved and missed by many.

I do not think there will be legal justice for Hailey, and it is extremely sad. The interview with the officer that supposedly works the case every day did not inspire much confidence. Not to knock the officer, she can only do what her training and resources allow. And then - there was either cp found that wasn't prosecuted or officials with nothing more pressing to get a search warrant that they were forced to exaggerate about what some images might depict and never really clear this up ... again, not filled with a sense of their skill and professionalism. Even the FBI info about Hailey was inaccurate for so long. You'd think the FBI would have their stuff sorted.

The delays that have prevented justice for Hailey - the initial delay when she supposedly disappeared on Monday and was not missed until Tuesday. The next delay while LE assumed she was a run away and then were slow to scramble and stuff like couches went for a long walk off a short pier. The very long delay to the miraculous discovery of Hailey's remains, destroying most of what we could hope she could have told us.

Shawn Adkin's facebook gone now. I'm not sure when it was closed.

I do not think the remains can be held this long. What are the laws on releasing the body, does anyone know?

I do not think the remains can be held this long. What are the laws on releasing the body, does anyone know?

I have no idea. We are hoping they have much more evidence and are continuing to do extensive testing that will put Hailey's murderer away forever.

I think if there is an active criminal investigation going on, remains can be held as long as deemed necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member