Identified! Greece - LIVING 4 year old, with Roma couple, Oct'13 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
That same link says she was arrested in January this year with the same offense and that child was taken into care. It would be 10 months old now. I wonder if it was legally adopted out? If it was, they may allow Maria to be legally adopted too. I can not see them giving her back to this family.

I would hope not. I presume the other child removed was adopted out. The same should be done for little M.

I'm glad when any child is found....but I have to say I was certainly hoping this was one of the children missing from the US or Canada. Not because we are special in any way, but to give hope to so many parents here whose little ones went missing and have never been found.

She was never actually missing.

DNA tests have confirmed that a Bulgarian Roma couple are the parents of a mysterious girl in Greece known as Maria, authorities said Friday.

Genetic profiles of Sasha Ruseva and her husband, Atanas, matched that of the girl, said Svetlozar Lazarov, an Interior Ministry official.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/blond-angel-parents-confirmed-as-bulgarian-roma-couple-1.2224891

Now what? The girl's life has been turned upside down and now the she is away from the only parents she has known (the "adoptive" family). Unless there is proof that the couple has abused her, she should be returned to them IMO.

Sasha Ruseva, a 35-year-old Bulgarian Gypsy, or Roma, said she gave birth to the girl, called Maria, four years ago while working as an olive picker in Greece.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/mystery-gypsy-girls-identity-confirmed-dna/story?id=20681522

bbm,
She needs to read the latest info, I thought the child (maria) was aged 5-6 yrs old.

http://news.yahoo.com/greek-charity-mystery-gypsy-camp-girl-aged-5-130731171.html

The "Smile of the Child" charity, which is caring for the girl known only as "Maria" until her parents are found, said Monday that a dental examination showed she is older than previously thought — 5-6 years old instead of four.

Under Greek law, child abduction charges can include cases where a minor is voluntarily given away by its parents outside the legal adoption process.

"Now that they're in prison there's not much they can do," their lawyer, Costas Katsavos, said.

"But provided what we said is borne out, that it was not an abduction, then logically they will be released from prison and they will be able to enter a proper [adoption] process ... They truly and ardently want her back."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/blond-angel-parents-confirmed-as-bulgarian-roma-couple-1.2224891

Sasha Ruseva, a 35-year-old Bulgarian Gypsy, or Roma, said she gave birth to the girl, called Maria, four years ago while working as an olive picker in Greece.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/mystery-gypsy-girls-identity-confirmed-dna/story?id=20681522

bbm,
She needs to read the latest info, I thought the child (maria) was aged 5-6 yrs old.

http://news.yahoo.com/greek-charity-mystery-gypsy-camp-girl-aged-5-130731171.html

The "Smile of the Child" charity, which is caring for the girl known only as "Maria" until her parents are found, said Monday that a dental examination showed she is older than previously thought — 5-6 years old instead of four.

Dental exam is just an estimate based on the development of the teeth; it's not exact.

Dental exam is just an estimate based on the development of the teeth; it's not exact.

Agreed. My son had 8 teeth fully out when he was just 3 months old, began loosing his baby teeth by 3years old and wisdom teeth came in and were removed at 11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sounds like whoever did a dental exam was off. Her reported weight was also average for a four year old child. But in the lowest percentile for a five year old child.

Unfortunately for the "adoptive" parents they have more legal troubles than just taking in Maria because her mother couldn't afford another child, even though she has clearly had more since Maria was born and given away. The "adoptive" parents foolishly claimed to have had 6 children all within 10 months in order to receive money from the government. I doubt that Maria will be returned back to them.

MOO

Unfortunately for the "adoptive" parents they have more legal troubles than just taking in Maria because her mother couldn't afford another child, even though she has clearly had more since Maria was born and given away. The "adoptive" parents foolishly claimed to have had 6 children all within 10 months in order to receive money from the government. I doubt that Maria will be returned back to them.

MOO

I don't think so either.

Agreed. My son had 8 teeth fully out when he was just 3 months old, began loosing his baby teeth by 3years old and wisdom teeth came in and were removed at 11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Wow, that's remarkable. One of my BILs had teeth when he was born, or so I'm told. I wasn't there. But there is quite a bit of variability in teeth for sure.

The picture of Maria sitting between her "parents" with her moms protective arm around her, holding her, speaks volumes to me. I myself would like to see Maria go back to the parents that raised her.

Glad there is a resolution but I feel so sad for Maria.

This organization sounds great - they help families in their own communities, but also have villages where a fully trained 'mom' can look after all the children in a family, so they are not split up. They have houses where older teenagers can learn to be independant too.

Maybe they have a big, big house where M's bio-mom and dad and all her siblings, and M's Greek 'mom' and 'dad', and all her half-siblings, can all live and get to know each other, under caring supervision? I can imagine that would be a tremendous job, but it would be a tremendous achievement too - instead of little M being taken away from her community, she could bring her community with her and all the children could get better living conditions. Maybe some of the kids could even grow up and work there, helping other kids too.

http://www.soschildrensvillages.org.uk/sponsor-a-child/europe/greece

I wonder if it's common for Roma to dye the children's hair. A few of the Bulgarian kids have their hair dyed. That bright red hair looks just like something my teenager did. And the photo of Maria shows her hair was once dyed. Look at her pigtails.
The Roma or Romany Gypsies have always had a bad rep. I mean look at "My big fat Gypsy Wedding" They have kept to thier communities and very seldom stray. But it's true in Europe a lot of the kids are taught to steal and beg. I think only because the economy is so bad for them. In the US it's traditional for the wives to stay home and the men to work. And in both places they are famous for being transient or mobile.
We have a family around New England that is famous for stealing. All someone has to say is "My house/store was robbed by Gypsies" and someone will say, "Who? the ******* brothers?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member