NC - Erica Lynn Parsons, 13, Rowan County, 19 Nov 2011 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
if the dump was used, i would imagine the body was concealed in something or wrapped or bagged, not visibly obvious what it was.
Agreed, but the dozer-crushers continuously drive back and forth, packing crushing and tearing at everything, so while it is possible that a body could be dumped there, you'd be taking quite a gamble that the dozers didn't tear open the carpet, tarp, or whatever you'd wrapped the body in.

Scott Jenkins ‏@SPScottJ 5m Salisbury Post
Tearful James Stone talks about missing granddaughter #EricaParsons at custody hearing for younger grandchildren. http://bit.ly/1a5uczj

(respectfully snipped for space)

The (only) true landfill in the county is about 10 miles due north as the crow flies. (snipped)

When you go to the dumping area, the area is continuously manned while the facility is open, with one or more giant dozer-crusher vehicles that pack down the waste. (snipped)

Hypothetically, if I lived on Miller Chapel and I had a body to dispose of I'd be looking at the woodland and creeks nearby (several areas within half a mile of Miller Chapel might be suitable) if I didn't want to haul it a long way, or I'd take it into the NC Appalachian mountains 1+2 hours to the west or the low-land swamps and forest 2-4 hours to the east ("Swamp Logger" territory), if I really wanted to lose it.

Thanks Pulaski, very much appreciate your local insights. Great description of how the land fills work. Are there or were there any unmanned county owned trash collection stations in the area? I'm in southeast NC and up until about 6 months ago we had a few sites that just had dumpsters for trash and some recycling. The area was fenced in and gates were locked at night, but generally they were open long hours and often there were never any people around.

In the past year, our county has been consolidating the number of trash collection sites and now we have to use a manned site that is a bit further away. Just wondering if 2 years ago there might have been some unmanned sites in Rowan County.

On a lighter note, I really laughed at your comment about the Southeast being "Swamp Logger" territory. We happen to live on 125 acres of forest near the Lumber River. Our lower 20 acres are pretty swampy. Never thought of us as "Swamp Loggers". :)

Now you are going to have me walking the property looking for hidden bodies.

snipped
"he said Erica “was mean, and Jamie was always after her. We never suspected anything.”

Stone said Erica and Jamie were always fighting. He said, “she’d bring a lot of it on ... but Jamie was mean, too.” "

REALLY??? I am not too sure I understand this, or how it is being said
hmm

I think that we have developed an idealistic visual of Erica. We imagine her to be angelic-like. However, we must remember that 1) she would have developed some sort of survival behaviour being subject to, and witness to, the toxicity of CasP's mental antagonizations....it would be understandable if Erica began to reflect or mirror these attitudes in order to survive. 2) Erica is a child victim, and nothing she could dish out or inflict upon others, would warrant the treatment that we have been hearing about. There are so many, many, many avenues of help to parents before abandoning/rehoming/killing a child.

I am inclined to believe Grandpa's observations because he is telling the good and the bad here. I don't envy him, being in such a tormented spot.

Don't most people who live in rural areas in NC burn their trash,yard debris,etc.? Sandy and Casey had no care or respect for Erica so I do not think they would have respect to even bury her.Casey seems very confident in her story that makes me think she knows Erica's remains will never be found.

Don't most people who live in rural areas in NC burn their trash,yard debris,etc.? Sandy and Casey had no care or respect for Erica so I do not think they would have respect to even bury her.Casey seems very confident in her story that makes me think she knows Erica's remains will never be found.

Many people in rural NC do burn yard debris, but trash is generally taken to the dump. However, your comment about Casey's confidence in her story, might be right on.

I think that we have developed an idealistic visual of Erica. We imagine her to be angelic-like. However, we must remember that 1) she would have developed some sort of survival behaviour being subject to, and witness to, the toxicity of CasP's mental antagonizations....it would be understandable if Erica began to reflect or mirror these attitudes in order to survive. 2) Erica is a child victim, and nothing she could dish out or inflict upon others, would warrant the treatment that we have been hearing about. There are so many, many, many avenues of help to parents before abandoning/rehoming/killing a child.

I am inclined to believe Grandpa's observations because he is telling the good and the bad here. I don't envy him, being in such a tormented spot.

HerStory, This is so well stated, that simply hitting the "thanks" button was not enough. I agree 100%. Children mimic the behavior of their parents. I envision the older siblings also taunting Erica, as they had observed their mother's dislike.

i know HerStory- just feeling a wee bit protective of the gal:( I am sure she had to 'fight' for her place, in that sense of the word

Many people in rural NC do burn yard debris, but trash is generally taken to the dump. However, your comment about Casey's confidence in her story, might be right on.
The area where Erica disappeared is not that rural anymore, and is well served by either municipal trash service or private contractors. It may happen, but I don't recall seeing, or smelling, anyone burning trash since I moved here ten years ago.

Thanks Pulaski, very much appreciate your local insights. Great description of how the land fills work. Are there or were there any unmanned county owned trash collection stations in the area? I'm in southeast NC and up until about 6 months ago we had a few sites that just had dumpsters for trash and some recycling. The area was fenced in and gates were locked at night, but generally they were open long hours and often there were never any people around. .....
There aren't many trash collection stations, and as trash is all charged for, I believe they're all manned for all the hours they're open. FWIW much of the labor at the trash collection facilities is provided by those sentenced to "community service". :rolleyes:
.... In the past year, our county has been consolidating the number of trash collection sites and now we have to use a manned site that is a bit further away. Just wondering if 2 years ago there might have been some unmanned sites in Rowan County. .....
No I believe they've all been manned full time since I came here ten years ago. That said there are several apartment complexes that I know of in Salisbury (and no doubt more that I don't) with those large commercial trash dumpsters, about 4-5ft high and 6ft wide, or similar, that you can just drive up to and drop your trash into even if you don't live there. There may also be commercial premises that you could access at night to leave trash in their dumpsters.
.... On a lighter note, I really laughed at your comment about the Southeast being "Swamp Logger" territory. We happen to live on 125 acres of forest near the Lumber River. Our lower 20 acres are pretty swampy. Never thought of us as "Swamp Loggers". :)

Now you are going to have me walking the property looking for hidden bodies.
It would certainly be very easy even on much less land than you have to dig a hole and have no one ever see you. Certainly none of my neighbors could see me when I dug graves for two of my cats in the past 18 months. Granted they were as big as you'd need even for a child, and only 3½' deep, but still completely unknown to my neighbors.

I do make a habit of checking across my five acres (three of them wooded), several times a year, mostly to look for "snags", but also for anything else unusual. I have found various things in the past, including a fresh (recent) beer bottle, a smashed salsa jar, and on one occasion a fresh cigarette butt on a leaf pile that I had only added to a couple of hours earlier. ... The first two I traced to sons of neighbors, the cigarette butt I never did explain. :confused:

HerStory, This is so well stated, that simply hitting the "thanks" button was not enough. I agree 100%. Children mimic the behavior of their parents. I envision the older siblings also taunting Erica, as they had observed their mother's dislike.

So true. These were the only parents Erica really knew and mostly she was only able to socialize only with the adoptive family. She was isolated from outside world. All she learned was from watching them. She maybe had some behavior issues from being in the toxic environment. (from family and neighbor accounts) The other children may have been mean to her and she mean back. But there was something very wrong. You can see it in her face in the pictures posted. All we know is a child is missing it took almost two years to report it from a sibling and the parents didn't even care enough to wonder about her.

snipped
"he said Erica “was mean, and Jamie was always after her. We never suspected anything.”

Stone said Erica and Jamie were always fighting. He said, “she’d bring a lot of it on ... but Jamie was mean, too.” "

REALLY??? I am not too sure I understand this, or how it is being said
hmm

Sounds like there was some major sibling rivalry between Erica and Jamie as children growing up together. Until we know more about their individual personalities, it's hard to say whether whatever each was doing to the other was out of spite, survival, jealousy, attention, or as the senior Mr. Stone described it as both of them "being mean."

I did some service/mission work in Harlan County, Kentucky "The Meanest County in America". People in Appalachia would use that word "mean" all the time to talk about a person or their kids. They would say, "She's mean as a rattlesnake". It often seemed playful or synonymous with a "spitfire"--that kind of thing. It bothered me when the G-pa called Erica mean, just because of her being missing, but I wondered if he was using the word in that Appalachian way I heard. Anyone local use this word as a colloqualism?

I completely agree w/HerStory and ClairNC about us thinking of Erica as angelic/meek, etc. No doubt that she is a product of her environment and I "think" she may have been born with some type of physiological impairments. In NO WAY am I excusing these so-called parents (Parsons)! IMO, they are completely incapable of loving anything but themselves and are anti-social. Like a lot of you, I think Casey's father is spot on. It must be difficult for him to admit that he thinks his own daughter and son-in-law are bad parents to his grandchildren. May God bless all these kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member