GUILTY MN - Barway Collins, 10, Crystal, 18 March 2015 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get this - Group accused of stealing donations (technical terms used are "where did my money go?" and "lack transparency" and not "responsible") for Little Edwin/Barway: Yelling match ensues at meeting for Barway Collins funeral funds http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/stor...-olm-meeting-for-barway-collins-funeral-funds

OMGosh - read the article - it goes on to say that the group accuses 'the Pastor' and then says 'the Pastor' "did not take that well".

Get this - Group accused of stealing donations (technical terms used are "where did my money go?" and "lack transparency" and not "responsible") for Little Edwin/Barway: Yelling match ensues at meeting for Barway Collins funeral funds http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/stor...-olm-meeting-for-barway-collins-funeral-funds

OMGosh - read the article - it goes on to say that the group accuses 'the Pastor' and then says 'the Pastor' "did not take that well".

Pastor Smith might not have taken it well because he felt falsely accused. In a link upthread, it states that Pastor Smith donated the money he collected. It is a different organization that hasn't turned over money as promised.

Thx !! I remember that - ty - yes, 'the Pastor' said he turned over all the dough he collected. I just watched that ch. 12 news video and don't know what to think actually - - those people should ALL provide a full accounting to the public and then there is NO controversy !! It's so simple: $100 in to the bank account, $30 in the bank account, $50 paid to funeral home for funeral equals $80 left in the bank account - - all that yelling and uproar - ridiculous - just post all the bank statements online - - it's not like this is supposed to be any sort of SECRET !!

THE REAL ISSUE is with the cold cash that's been handed over - those deep wicker baskets passed around every time there was 'prayers' at the apartment, or a press conference. Also, one photo of the very 1st 'prayer time at the apt. complex' shows what looks like a thin rectangular shawl on the ground with people throwing green bills $$ onto it, and it was reported that just that very 1st collection netted $1,200 cold cash. The issue is cold cash goes into deep wicker basket, and then who fiddles with it next? Next? Next ???

The Star Tribune has posted info on today's (May 14) hearing.

"Inside the crowded Minneapolis courtroom, Barway Collins’ birth mother, Louise Karluah, stared steadily at Pierre Collins, the man charged in April with killing their son....

"In court, Collins, who did not speak, wore an orange jumpsuit and sat between his lawyers. He sat with his back to Karluah, who was in the front row, and his wife, Yamah Collins, who stood in the back.

"Members of the Liberian immigrant community filled the courtroom, leaving many people standing outside in the hallway....

"Bransford also granted two motions made by Collins’ lawyers. The first: Anyone working with the case cannot initiate contact with Collins and lawyers must be present if contact is initiated, unless Collins says otherwise. The request was not extended to include child protection representatives because 'I don’t know if that’s before this court,' Bransford said.

"The second request was that parties in the case not be allowed to discuss any information outside the courtroom that hasn’t been discussed in court."

http://www.startribune.com/pierre-c...t-at-packed-hearing-in-minneapolis/303825961/

"Greg Scanlan, the lead defense attorney for Pierre Collins, told the judge his team needs more time to examine an external hard drive they received Tuesday from law enforcement.

Scanlan said the hard drive, which is 67 GB, contains still photos, cell phone records, videos, audio interviews, e-mails and other documents linked to the Pierre Collins murder case."

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/lo...collins-pretrial-scheduled-for-july/27341319/

"Louise Karluah, Barway's biological mother, sat on the front row behind Pierre Collins. It was her first time seeing the man accused of killing her son. Karluah traveled from Africa to attend her son's funeral. As Pierre Collins took his seat between his two attorneys, Karluah looked away and shook her head. Throughout the hearing she stared at Pierre Collins.

Pierre Collins' wife, Yamah, stood near the back of the courtroom during the ten-minute hearing. Yamah Collins was the only person allowed in the courtroom who didn't have a seat."

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/lo...collins-pretrial-scheduled-for-july/27341319/

I have finally caught up on this thread. My heart absolute broke for this precious boy & all that he endured. RIP Barway. I pray that PC receives the maximum penalty the law will allow!

TC_MN: Did you happen to be able to look at Yamah ---- I wonder what the heck she thinks about her husband !!!!

This judge - WOW - what a busy person --- she seems like the sort of person who's one of those, "If you need something done, ask someone busy" sorts !! My impression is that this is one fine judge !! IMO: I bet PC is going to be quite ticked-off by the judge --- kinda like Jodi Arias got fixated with hostility & 'negative emotion' on Juan Martinez (and her own attorney, Nurmi!!) !!

Judge Profile:
Judge Tanya M. Bransford

Hennepin County
Hennepin County Courthouse
Phone: (612)348-2040

Chambers Phone: 612-348-3778

Chambers Email: Email Chambers Staff

Appointed/Elected:

Appointed in 1994
Elected in 1996, 2002, 2008, and 2014.

Her current term expires in January 2021.

Awards
Hennepin County Administrator's Award, Juvenile Detention Alternatives Initiative (JDAI), 2012
Hennepin County Department of Community Corrections and Rehabilitation, Champions of Change Award, 2010
Annie E. Casey Foundation Award, 2009
North St. Paul High School, Distinguished Alumni, 2005
Hamline University School of Law, Outstanding Alumni Award, 2000
Hennepin County Star Performer Award, 1998
Minnesota Minority Lawyer's Association, Service to the MMLA Award, 1994
Education:

J.D., Hamline University School of Law, 1983
B.A., Gustavus Adolphus College, 1980

Employment:

Referee, Hennepin County District Court, Juvenile Division, 1990
Workers’ Compensation Judge, Office of Administrative Hearings, 1987
Associate Attorney, Spicer, Watson & Carp law firm, 1983

Professional Memberships:

Committee for Equality and Justice, Co-Chair and Founding Member, 2011-present
Juvenile Detention Alternatives Initiative, Hennepin County, Co-Chair 2005-2010, Member, 2010-present
University of Minnesota, Judicial Skills Program, 2001-present
National Consortium of Racial and Ethnic Bias Task Force, Board of Directors, 2011-present
Minnesota Supreme Court Racial Fairness Committee, Vice Chair 2006-2011, Member 1993-2006
Minnesota Supreme Court Juvenile Delinquency Rules Committee, 2008-2010
Minnesota Supreme Court Committee on the Rules on Judicial Standards, 2007-2008
Minnesota Supreme Court Continuing Legal Education Board, 2000-2006
Minnesota Supreme Court Advisory Task Force on the Guardian Ad Litem System, 1995-1996
Minnesota State Bar Association, 1983-present, Civil Litigation Section Council, 2010-present
American Bar Association, 2011-present
National Bar Association, 1994-present
Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers, 1995-present
Minnesota Black Women Lawyers Network, 2001-present
Hennepin County Bar Association, 1983-present
Equal Justice Committee - Fourth Judicial District, 1995-present, Co-Chair 1995-2009
Fourth Judicial District Executive Committee, 2004-2008
Criminal Justice Coordinating Committee, 2004-2008
Hennepin County Board/Bench Joint Committee on Community Corrections, 2004-2008
Hamline University School of Law - Board of Advisors, 1999-2005
Minnesota Judicial College - Juvenile Law Faculty, 1994-2002
National Association of Women Judges, 1987-2008
Minnesota Women Lawyers, 1990-2005
Minnesota Minority Lawyers Association, 1982-1998
National Conference of Juvenile and Family Court Judges, 1990-2000
Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, 1991-1993

Additional Information

Biography

Tanya M. Bransford has served as a District Court Judge in Hennepin County District Court since 1994. She currently manages a block of 175 civil, felony drug and property cases and has worked as the presiding Juvenile Court Judge. Prior to her appointment, Judge Bransford was a District Court Referee for Hennepin County’s Juvenile Division, and also served as a Workers’ Compensation Judge with the Office of Administrative Hearings. Judge Bransford is the co-chair and founding member of the Supreme Court’s Committee for Equality and Justice and is also a founding member of Youthprise.

Assignment History

Criminal, 1/2014-Present
Civil & Criminal, 2009-2013
Juvenile, 7/2003-2009
Civil & Criminal, 1/2000-6/2003
Criminal, 5/1998-12/1999
Civil & Criminal, 5/1997-4/1998
Criminal, 1/1997-4/1997
Juvenile, 6/1995-12/1996
Criminal, 7/1994-5/1995
Judicial Activities

Lead Judge - Brookdale Team, 2010-2011
Presiding Judge, Juvenile Division, Spring 2006-Oct. 2008
Co-Chair of the Hennepin County Equal Justice Committee, 1995-2009

Community Activities

Youthprise, Founding Board Member (an organization designed to accelerate youth leadership beyond the classroom), 2010-present
Jack and Jill of America, Minneapolis Chapter, 2000-present
Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church, 2005-present
Osumare Book Club, 1991-present
Former Community Involvement

Minneapolis Youth Coordinating Board
The Links, Incorporated, Minneapolis-St. Paul Chapter
The St. Paul Foundation
Minneapolis YWCA
Action for Children
Institute of Black Chemical Abuse
Augburg College
Stairstep Foundation
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
Rance Majestic Choir

I only caught a glimpse of her standing at the door before she was allowed into the courtroom. They made an exception for get because she's the wife. She was the only one allowed in after the doors were closed. She was also the first one out after the hearing was over......

The fact that the defense needs extra time to go over "so much evidence" makes me feel hopeful that the prosecution has all they need for a conviction. May justice be swift and merciless.

Oh, I wish I knew what present-wife is thinking !! I also wonder if present-wife has cut herself off from 'the Pastor'.

Remember: The prosecution has let us know that they expect to ask a Grand Jury to charge PC with Murder One: That Grand Jury meeting will all happen in secrecy, and we'll only be told if they indict PC for Murder One (which I suspect WILL happen).

Also, I noticed the little free local newspaper had a letter from 'the Pastor' - date May 12. I could make a Whole Lot of Comments about what he had to say, but will hold my tongue. A few comments, tho': 1.) I just CANNOT believe that a funeral home would order the father of a murdered little child (meaning PC - - 'the Pastor' has power of attorney in the funeral for PC) NOT to wait for the mother of the murdered child to hold the funeral ! This does NOT pass any smell test !, and 2.) What the heck is 'the Pastor' talking about when he says 'the family this/that'??? 'People think the family is guilty...', 'The family decides...' - - IMO, PC, the 'father' is being held for Murder Two of this innocent little child right now, and Murder One charge is likely imminent. That leaves: LITTLE EDWIN'S/BARWAY'S MOTHER, LOUISE !!! $%^&@ IMO, and 3.) If 'the Pastor' receives no money to be a 365 day/5 year/no days off 'pastor', how the heck then is he getting money for his rent, for his $3,000 'ordination ring' present-to-himself, for his Cadillac??? and 4.) Does it ring true that anyone has worked 365 days X 5 years with utterly no single day off???? See:
COLUMN: I did not come to the Collins family because of guilt or innocence
By Sun Post Editor
May 12, 2015 at 2:25 pm
By Pastor Harding Smith

Pastor Harding Smith, speaking on behalf of Barway Collins' family, urged the community at large to withhold judgement in the case and to "let the legal system work its course" at an April 14 press conference outside the family's home in the Cedarwood Apartments. (Sun Post staff photo by Joe Bowen)
Pastor Harding Smith, left, speaking on behalf of Barway Collins’ family, urged the community at large to withhold judgement in the case and to “let the legal system work its course” at an April 14 press conference outside the family’s home in the Cedarwood Apartments.

I feel that I owe my friends and followers a statement.

First of all, let me start by saying it’s never easy when a wonderful child such as Barway is taken away. There are emotions, hurt and confusion as to what has taken place and how to respond to them.

There is no script on how to respond to something of such horrific nature because most in this community have never experienced this before, but I have time and time again because of the work I do.

There were a lot of pastors and community leaders that came to the Collins’ defense, but when the charges came down, they all took a position to protect their image, walking away from this family, standing with everyone else saying, “we do not stand with murderers and this family is guilty.”

Let me make a few points clear: as a true man of God I do not take positions to make me look good. The only good name I want can only come from God. I did not come to this family because of guilt or innocence, but to stand with them and pray with them during times of abandonment and confusion.

I will never walk away from my assignment because it is not popular with the community or that the community will turn against me. The only time I am concerned is when God turns against me for not listening to Him, but to man.

If I had to do this again, nothing would change. I apologize to no one. Should we only expect good things from God? I have been attacked for standing with evil people and not the righteous. I pray for all who spoke of things they do not understand. I walk in an authority that most people do not understand or comprehend.

There are a few facts I would like you to know.

• It was my church member that brought Barway into this country from Liberia in January 2011.

• I begged the funeral home to hold the body for three weeks for the mother to get here, but because the body had been under water for so long, they advised against it.

• I did the paperwork getting the body from the medical examiner’s office to the funeral home and then to the church, and the planning of security for the funeral along with Shiloh Temple in Minneapolis. Thanks to Bishop Richard Howell for giving us his church free of charge.

• When we found out there were not enough funds for the burial, I teamed with serious people that were able to produce $8,000 in 24 Hours.

• Even with having power of attorney, at the end of the day, it’s the family’s decision and not Pastor Harding Smith’s.

For five years as a pastor, I have never taken a day off or a vacation. I work seven days a week. My work has always been voluntary and never as a paid pastor. I was told about attacks and never read about them on Facebook, which was planned by a pastor. I pray for all who attacked me and continued to twist words to get a good laugh. Your attacks mean nothing to me.

God bless. I do not look for praises from men, but God. When this is all over, people’s eyes will be open and they will see and understand that God is there all the time for us sinners and only God will be the judge of the coward that took this innocent life.

Lord, I thank you for my sufferings because these sufferings connect me with you on a higher level.

Pastor Harding Smith has served as the spokesperson for Barway Collins’ family since the boy’s disappearance in mid-March.

BC's mother is still here. Who is supporting her? Where is she staying?

Trino, A group set up a bank account here for her and it paid for her airfare/visa and is paying for her expenses while she's here. Presently they're trying to help her stay here longer, because presumably she, Louise, is open to that, presumably to show up at court in the future as this unfolds (she does have a young child back home - 4 y old boy, I believe, so I am guessing she has loving family taking care of that little one). If you watch video, you will see there is a fake cop from a North Minneapolis private '.org' who stood right next to her at the court date the other day (walking her, and her support group, to and from her vehicle) - the reason for this is news reporters and cameras and cell phone video 'in her face'. Where she is staying is NOT public info'. An early pic' shows her in some sort of hotel, prob' one of those with weekly/monthly rates. For all I know she could well have bonded with some of the people financially supporting her here and is staying with someone who has some comfortable space for her.

I know there is a benefit to try to raise ~ $30-35K to build her a 3-4 bedroom home back in Liberia - her son wanted that for her, apparently.

I also saw a poster for a benefit for her just yesterday, but am NOT sure if it's re. that same benefit/fundraiser event, or even another.

The benefit I read in some detail about, well I think it is this weekend, and is at a church and has some Christian small singing groups and a few speakers - $10/ticket, and I am sure they'll be passing baskets for more money at the event itself.

I will say this without reservation: From the pics', audio, video I have seen of Louise (she is age 24 presently, I believe), she seems like an absolutely dear, precious, lovely young woman who loved Little Edwin (Barway) with her whole heart, and she has her Christian faith through all of this horror. Remember, Louise was just a 13 y old refugee in a Liberian refugee camp when it is reported PC was her 'french teacher' (much, much older, at least 24 - some speculate PC's lied about his age and is actually now in his 40's....---TC_MN has seen PC in court and says he looks like he's in his 40's, not the '32' he states himself to be...)) -- at age 13/14, Louise has stated in MSM that PC repeatedly forceably raped her, over and over, secretly in the classroom (!!!! omg...) and that was how Little Edwin was conceived. Louise has stated in MSM that when Little Edwin was born, PC told her she 'wasn't his type' and discarded her.

As to 'who is supporting Louise', be aware that there is some very ugly in-fighting that has happened, some of it very public, on MSM news video. Local groups (I am in the general area) has splintered and fractured, name calling, cut-offs..... Just last week, I find the MSM news video (I BELIEVE it was the fox9 -- can someone please re-post that link ???) just shocking: The Liberians supposedly providing financial support to PC (jail spending money...), to PC's present wife (who has 2 little boys with her - no job, on welfare...), and, SOME of those (just a subset) at that press conference support Louise with $$, well there were very ugly and very public, on camera all out fights !! that took place. EG, quote, "Shut Up" - - "NO YOU SHUT UP". Also, 'the Pastor' blew up (review this thread for detail) at the press conference and yelled out that only he and one other Liberian man at the press conference were to be trusted and everyone else there lacked integrity (I am paraphrasing - I do not recall his exact word choice). A few of the other Liberian men were trying gently to hold 'the Pastor' back.

I myself find all the ugliness surrounding these people who got involved in the aftermath of Little Edwin's (Barway's) horrible murder collecting money, particularly the 'cold cash', to be such a very sad and pathetic selfishness that distracts from the horror of the murder.

Also, I will note this: I myself am clueless about funeral costs, but there is some uproar that the funeral home ripped everyone off, too - I believe their total charge was ~$13,200 - and that funeral home actually went on MSM video (calling a press conference? calling in reporters?? OMG.......) and stating on news camera video how much they got shorted - - of course, they did get 'all' the money they wanted and IMO them holding a public press conference was a way to turn screws to get paid. Locals are saying that funeral home jacked up prices to squeak every penny they could, due to this little boy's murder being such a well known horrible local event..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong