WA - Lindsey Baum, 10, McCleary, 26 June 2009 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be pearseha - but I was thinking of men who are alone (I'm thinking abduction). I don't know the town other than people saying everybody knows one another - all is friendly. So - what happened? Somebody was out at 9:15 or around that time wanting a child. Guess I'm trying to figure out why that person would be in or around the Shell gas station. Was she grabbed or coaxed? Local or transient? familiar or stranger? This child has been missing since Friday night - hope they find her soon.

My guess would be, if the kidnapper is a man and the kidnap was sexually motivated (heaven forbid), he was on his own property and spotted her walking by. This is a common enough way for this to happen. We had a rather wracking case in Toronto recently where a monster had been sitting home watching child *advertiser censored*, and happened to see poor Holly Jones walking home from her friend's house (she, too, had been walking her friend back home, and was returning), and took the opportunity.

I think a lot of the time, it is merely about sickos getting the momentary urge and taking an opportunity.

ETA: I am not sure exactly how the houses are spaced, but he could have seen her walking, considered it a bit and not been able to resist, and then went down the road to find her.

:eek:

Mom a mod would have to make that decision. My :twocents: as a Mother is that it is inappropriate for a very young teen to be engaging in conversation with strangers (yes we are strangers here to her and we really don't know who is sitting on the other side of the moniter even on these threads). Especially a crime board conversation, especially when the case in question directly effects that young teen. KWIM?

But again, it's not my call and a mod would have to make that call.

Agree.
The myspace linked above is of a MINOR.

Then there is the other person with the same initials who is the mother of the girlfriend whose house she visited. Her name if Kara K. (mother)

:eek:

Mom a mod would have to make that decision. My :twocents: as a Mother is that it is inappropriate for a very young teen to be engaging in conversation with strangers (yes we are strangers here to her and we really don't know who is sitting on the other side of the moniter even on these threads). Especially a crime board conversation, especially when the case in question directly effects that young teen. KWIM?

But again, it's not my call and a mod would have to make that call.

I really thought she was a teenager but it has been pointed out to me that she is only 11...for cryin' out loud who would've ever thunk it by looking at her myspace!:eek: Anyway she has not contacted me again so maybe she thought better of it herself.

I called the Shell gas station. It is called MIKE's MARKET. The lady said they are about 1/2 block away from the main intersection which is a 3-way Stop.

Said they are open till 11pm or 11:30 depending on how busy they are on Fri nights.
She also said technically, they are on Simpson St or at Simpson st?.

Also said there is a small grocery store nearby but believes it closes at 9 pm.

Expert: Missing girl likely went with someone she knew
12:22 PM PDT on Wednesday, July 1, 2009
<snipped>
McCLEARY, Wash. -- A national expert helping in the search for 10-year-old Lindsey Baum says someone Lindsey knew might be responsible for her disappearance.

"Based on the information I have, it&#8217;s someone she possibly knows or is in the area, not outside the area," said Henry Schmidt, with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
Schmidt, a retired sheriff from Wyoming, arrived in McCleary to assist with the search Sunday.

Schmidt said statistically, most abducted children are murdered within 24 hours. But, he said, that doesn&#8217;t make searchers give up hope.

&#8220;I&#8217;ve seen positive results," Schmidt said. "There&#8217;s proven cases out there of kids being found a couple of years later."

Melissa Baum says she's thankful for all that people have done for her family. Lindsey's father, who lives in Tennessee, is expected to arrive in town on Friday.

Article:
http://www.nwcn.com/statenews/washington/stories/NW_070109WAB-mccleary-KS.260ea8b9.html

:angel:

Thank you Kseal for bumping this article by reposting a link :)

I read it again and we are given a big fat clue in that IMHO. I underlined that part.

So even though LE doesn't have proof of an abduction I'm sure that Mr. Schmidt just told us what LE is thinking. She was taken/abducted they just don't have any hard evidence of it happening.

And he further goes on to point out the sad statistics that we who have followed these types of cases are more than aware of...:(

I really thought she was a teenager but it has been pointed out to me that she is only 11...for cryin' out loud who would've ever thunk it by looking at her myspace!:eek: Anyway she has not contacted me again so maybe she thought better of it herself.

~THUD~

okay...why is she on the internet tracking down how to contact you...asking to join this site....:eek:

Note for KK's Mom: You really need to moniter this (stamps foot!)

Some pics of the area where she disappeared.

"Looking west near 7th and Maple" (That would be the direction she was coming from.)
baummccleary1.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv31511.php

"Sam's canal at Maple and 7th"
baummcleary4.jpg

http://www.cityofmccleary.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={E826C197-7887-4FAA-83CE-EDA999FE502B}

"5th St. looking north from Maple"
Baummccleary2.jpg

http://www.tib.wa.gov/media/projectpictures/MCCLEARY/2-W-956(001)-1/01162008%20McCleary%205th%20Street%20looking%20north%20from%20Maple.JPG

~THUD~

okay...why is she on the internet tracking down how to contact you...asking to join this site....:eek:

Note for KK's Mom: You really need to moniter this (stamps foot!)

I actually sent her a message on myspace asking about the "disturbed" myspace account. She sent me a message back and I told her about WS and how I found her myspace. That's about it...she tracked no one down...I sent a message and she responded.
Yes, I agree Mom should be monitoring.

STEADFAST - thanks so much for those great pics!!! Doubt it would be very busy at 9:15 on a Friday night so the person lurking around (walking or car) may have been noticed by someone. Where I live, a small town like that would be a picture on a postcard. lol

And now I find out she took a different route home....and the dogs did get her scent. Seems there are a couple sex offenders living around the path she took home.

McCleary Washington: June 26, 2009

Sunrise: 5:19am
Sunset: 9:12pm
Moonrise: 10:18am
Moonset: 11:49pm

Other blogs are posting that it was still light out when Lindsey went missing, but I don't think this is the case.

Mel

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp

QUOTE]

With all due respect Mel, in the week following the summer solstice (6/21) which is the longest daylight of the year, dusk lasts about 45 mins to an hour. One can't really say it gets dark at sunset. The light can linger for quite some time, especially the farther north you go on the globe. (if it were Alaska, the sun barely sets this time of year). I gave this issue a lot of consideration in the discussion of the Neveah B. case when Nancy Grace made such a unsubstantiated tadoo! about how it's dark by 7pm. And Neveah's mother kept trying to explain that that's just not true in Michigan. I'm from Michigan and after Nancy's show I kept checking each evening to determine what time (as a mother, which I am) would it be too late for the kids to be "out in the neighborhood". 9:45 would have been my answers for a 10 year old, perhaps 9 for a child under 7. Even tonight, in Michigan, I could go walking at 10PM and have still feel it isn't really dark yet. I would expect it would be the same in Washington State, it's pretty far north.

:) RTH

VIDEO FROM THE AssociatedPress~Officials: No Sign of Missing Washington Girl 1:07
Washington police say the search is expanding for a missing 10-year-old girl. Lindsey Baum was last seen on Friday evening. (July 1)
YouTube - Officials: No Sign of Missing Washington Girl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Search intensifies for missing 10-year old Washington girl
July 1, 2009
<snipped>
Residents of McCleary, Washington, held a candle light vigil for 10-year-old Lindsey Baum who has been missing since Friday afternoon.

About 1,500 people live in McCleary, and many turned out for a public prayer Tuesday night.

Police are frustrated their search has turned up nothing significant so far.

The missing-girl’s mother said she volunteered to take a polygraph late Tuesday, wanting to clear herself - although police tell us she is not a suspect.

“I don’t want people saying oh maybe the mom got mad at her and stashed her and now saying she ran away, I don’t want anything like that. I want everyone to know my daughter is missing,” said Melissa Baum, the missing-girl’s mother.

VIDEO INCLUDED IN ARTICLE: Residents of McCleary, Washington, held a candle light vigil for 10-year-old Lindsey Baum who has been missing since Friday afternoon.

Article:
http://www.counton2.com/cbd/news/na...or_missing_10-year_old_washington_girl/40240/
Missing Washington Girl's Mother Thinks She's Alive, But Out of the Area
Wednesday, July 01, 2009
<snipped>
Melissa Baum said she thinks her little girl Lindsey, who vanished Friday night, was snatched and is no longer in their hometown.

"I don’t think she’s in McCleary. I don’t," Baum told The Daily World of Aberdeen, Wash. "Why would they keep her in McCleary? Whoever took her went on the freeway. There are three ways to get out of McCleary and all three ways there are freeways within five or 10 minutes."

Baum said she hasn't given up hope.

Article:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529688,00.html

She&#8217;s no runaway, family says
Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:13 PM PDT
<snipped>
Lindsey Baum is afraid of the dark.

She&#8217;s also a bit superstitious.

Combine the two and during the so-called Witching Hour between midnight and 1 a.m., the 10-year-old McCleary girl won&#8217;t even set foot out the door, her family says.

Her mother Melissa Baum describes an incident a few weeks ago in which Lindsey had left something in the family car late at night and wanted to retrieve it but wouldn&#8217;t go out until the Witching Hour was over.

That&#8217;s why it makes no sense to Baum that her little girl would have wandered away late at night. Baum and members of her family think Lindsey was abducted when she was walking back from a friend&#8217;s house some four blocks from her home, where she lives with her mom and 12-year-old brother, Josh.

&#8220;What else is there?&#8221; said family friend Melissa McCann. &#8220;She didn&#8217;t just get abducted by aliens. It&#8217;s not just &#8216;Poof, she&#8217;s gone.&#8217; She&#8217;s not a runaway. We&#8217;ve known that from the beginning.&#8221;

She didn&#8217;t spend much time watching television but she loved using the computer, including the popular social networking site MySpace and hanging with her friends, according to her family. MySpace.com lists two Lindsey Baums in McCleary with MySpace pages.

One, with a picture of Lindsey&#8217;s pet German Shepherd on the page, is marked &#8220;private.&#8221; It lists her mood as &#8220;adored&#8221; and the name of her account as &#8220;DISTURBED.&#8221; But it gives no other public information.

A second MySpace account is more public. Her nickname there is TWILIGHT FREAK. She loved the popular &#8220;Twilight&#8221; series of books, love stories about teen-age vampires. And Stephen King novels. And S.E Hinton, who wrote &#8220;The Outsiders.&#8221;

Cryptically, within two hours of creating this second MySpace account in May, Baum allegedly wrote: &#8220;I&#8217;ve been getting a lot of nightmares lately and I have this bad feeling that something bad is gonna happen.&#8221;

The family doesn&#8217;t know why she wrote it. Neither does Undersheriff Scott.

Scott said the comment and some other smatterings of clues initially led police to believe that Lindsey might have faked her disappearance. That thought is out the window as investigators now enter their fifth day of searching.

&#8220;Surely, she would have returned by now,&#8221; Scott said.

The Baum family moved to McCleary about two years ago without husband and father Scott, who remained in Tennessee. Eventually, the relationship broke apart, family members said. And Scott, who is in the military, stayed in Tennessee.

Lindsey&#8217;s room is now blocked off with police tape. Yet the dog still has found a way to sneak in. The family&#8217;s had to get creative in figuring out ways to make sure the room stays secure.

&#8220;She&#8217;s Lindsey&#8217;s dog,&#8221; her mom said. &#8220;She slept with Lindsey.&#8221;

Now the dog is following brother Josh just about everywhere he goes and has been looking all over the neighborhood for Lindsey on her own.

The family&#8217;s been trying hard to make Josh stay put. At one point, the 12-year-old went around the neighborhood on his bike calling out Lindsey&#8217;s name. He feels guilty because shortly before she disappeared, the two had a sibling argument over a bike.

Sometimes she could make a mountain out of a mole hill, the family says, but they don&#8217;t think any of that played into a runaway scenario.

&#8220;She&#8217;s a very emotional child,&#8221; her mom said. &#8220;We&#8217;ve always called her a drama queen.&#8221;

One of Lindsey&#8217;s best friends, 11-year-old Christina Richards, said the two would hang out together at a local creek or the city park and muse about life.

&#8220;I asked her a question when I first met her about where she would go if she were to run away and I said I&#8217;d want to run away to the Bahamas. She didn&#8217;t want to.&#8221; Christina says Lindsey wanted to stay here.

Article:
http://www.thedailyworld.com/articles/2009/07/01/local_news/doc4a4ba94721f78989072462.txt

Young Girl Disappears On 10 Minute Walk Home
July 1, 2009 4:00 PM
<snipped>
McCleary, Wash.(CBS/AP) It's only a ten-minute walk home from her friend's house, a stroll that she has taken before, but last Friday was different. Ten-year-old Lindsey Baum disappeared that night, somewhere, somehow, in the four block stretch between the two homes.

McCleary is a small town of about 1,500 people, and it is surrounded by woodlands.

Lindsey's mother, Melissa Baum, fears that her daughter, who was set to enter the sixth grade this fall, was abducted.

Her mother says Lindsey argued with her brother on her way to the friend's house, and after talking with the playmate a bit, she started for home as darkness fell.

Baum says her daughter is upset about her recent divorce, but doesn't have money to run away, has never tried to before, and doubts at this point that Lindsey is trying to hide.

The FBI is now part of the team that is investigating her disappearance.

Searchers on horseback have also helped the effort, complementing efforts by the Washington State Patrol to search for Lindsey by air, with a plane that is equipped with a heat-sensing camera to scan the ground. The video is being fed back to the ground where officials can see the results in real-time.

Cadets from the Civil Air Patrol are also joining the growing search party, and police scoured surveillance videos from the town's businesses looking for any clues. The town was criss-crossed three times, but not a trace of
Lindsey has been found. Even bloodhounds failed to pick up her scent.

Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Rick Scott says several tips have been received, and investigators would like to talk to anyone who may have seen anything suspicious in the town of McCleary during the time Lindsey disappeared.

Article:
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/07/01/crimesider/entry5127770.shtml
Searchers &#8220;not going anywhere&#8221;
<snipped>
Even as the odds get longer in the search for 10-year-old Lindsey Baum, Undersheriff Rick Scott vows it will continue until every logging road is searched, every swamp is scoured and every hill is combed.

&#8220;We&#8217;ll knock on every door in McCleary and talk to every person who lives here if that&#8217;s what it takes,&#8221; Scott said. &#8220;We&#8217;re not going anywhere.&#8221;

As the missing persons case enters its fifth day of intense searching, there remains 25 to 30 law enforcement officers on the ground, but Scott said this morning he&#8217;s scaled back the number of searchers to a dozen or more.

On Tuesday, the case began receiving national media attention. CNN&#8217;s &#8220;Nancy Grace Show&#8221; aired about a 10-minute segment on the case. The primetime show is known for extensive coverage of high profile missing child cases. Daily World reporter Steven Friederich was interviewed during the segment.

This morning, Fox News aired a segment on the case and Friederich was again interviewed.

At this point, the family has concluded that she&#8217;s been abducted.

But Scott said he can&#8217;t be sure.

The effort to find her takes two parallel tracks. One involves a runaway Lindsey, who might have been playing a prank on her family and somehow got lost or injured. The other considers the possibility she was abducted.

Scott said there continues to be no evidence pointing one way or the other.

&#8220;In the big picture, this investigation is still relatively young, but it&#8217;s frustrating to work and work and work and to put in as many long hours as we have and not be able to give something to the family to foster some hope that this is going to end in a positive outcome,&#8221; Scott said.

The girl&#8217;s route home would have taken her from her friend&#8217;s house in the 600 block of Maple Street, along the residential street with no sidewalks.

She would have walked down Maple and would have had to cross 3rd Street, which is a main road in the town and has a crosswalk. At that point she would have had a short walk through a a commercial area, including a nearby bus station and a gas station. She would have had to cross the larger street, then back onto a residential street without a sidewalk and head down to her house at the 300 block of Mommsen Street, a dead-end residential neighborhood within view of the police station.

But a minute or two before she crossed 3rd Street, she disappeared. A neighbor spotted her about two-thirds of the way home, Scott said.

Article:
http://www.thedailyworld.com/articles/2009/07/01/local_news/doc4a4ba9ab562a5957341684.txt
Hundreds gather for Baum vigil
<snipped>
McCLEARY &#8212; It seemed as if everyone in McCleary came out to Beerbower Park Tuesday night to hold a vigil for Lindsey Baum, the 10-year-old girl who vanished almost into thin air Friday night. Faces lit by candles, they prayed together, cried together and held each other.

&#8220;Normally, it feels very safe,&#8221; said Tanya Lyon of McCleary. She said Baum&#8217;s disappearance was shocking, and as the mother of two children about Lindsey&#8217;s age, she felt she needed to be out to show her support, even though she didn&#8217;t really know the family.

&#8220;They live right behind us,&#8221; said Jennifer Estes of the Baum family, stunned that an apparent kidnapping took place paces from her home. &#8220;Michaela (her daughter) rides her bike and walks by herself all the time.&#8221;

Although law enforcement agencies are keeping their options open, most of the people at the candlelight vigil believe Lindsey Baum was abducted. As unlikely as such a crime would be in McCleary, the thought of the girl running away seemed even less possible to those who know her.

Becky Spalding of Elma, who is Lindsey&#8217;s Girl Scout troop leader, couldn&#8217;t stop the tears. Lindsey was so full of energy, bursting with happiness, she said.

The friend who last saw Lindsey also addressed the crowd. She said the girls asked if Lindsey could spend the night at her house, but when her parents said no, the girls parted.

&#8220;I saw her at the end of Maple (Street),&#8221; the girl said. &#8220;I always think if my mom and me would&#8217;ve done something different this wouldn&#8217;t have happened.&#8221;

As she wept, Watne encouraged the crowd to applaud her to show support.

&#8220;Nobody blames you,&#8221; Watne said.

Josh Baum, Lindsey&#8217;s brother, also stood up.

&#8220;I&#8217;m very sad,&#8221; he said. &#8220;I want you guys to find my sister, Amen!&#8221;

To finish the vigil, the crowd walked barely a block to the Baum house, lining the street practically all the way down to the park. There, Watne presented a sign saying &#8220;Hope&#8221; to Josh Baum and a family friend. Mother Melissa Baum did not feel up to greeting her neighbors, who instead left cards and gifts on the chairs in front of the house and shouted messages like, &#8220;I love you!&#8221;

&#8220;We&#8217;re doing this because we love you,&#8221; Watne said.

A second vigil was also planned Tuesday night for Elma. Kyla Ostenson, 19, and cousin Josh Ostenson, 10, organized the event. The two said they didn&#8217;t know the family, but just wanted to do something to help.

&#8220;Since there&#8217;s one in McCleary and one here it&#8217;s like two communities uniting together,&#8221; Kyla said in an interview Monday night.

People hold candles as they listen to speakers at a vigil for missing 10-year-old Lindsey Baum at Beerbower Park in McCleary on Tuesday night.
doc4a4baa38c6082474655699.jpg

Article:
http://www.thedailyworld.com/articles/2009/07/01/local_news/doc4a4baa38c6082474655699.txt

Hundreds light candles for missing McCleary girl
Story Published: Jun 30, 2009 at 11:50 PM PDT
Story Updated: Jun 30, 2009 at 11:51 PM PDT
<snipped>
Ebony Bickmore was among the hundreds gathered. Holding a candle, she prayed for her friend's safe return.

"My sister, Ashley, was bawling, because she thinks it's horrible that someone would do this to a little girl, a baby, pretty much," she said.

Troopers have searched the area by air. Dogs combed the ground and crews sifted through the wetland. But the search has turned up no clues into the girl's mysterious disappearance.

Investigators found a bag of clothes along Highway 8 Tuesday morning, but they don't believe the found clothes are related to the missing girl.

Melissa Baum fears her daughter was abducted.

"I don't really think she's in McCleary," she said. "Because McCleary has been torn upside-down and I just feel if she was here in McCleary she'd be found by now."

But the mother has not given up hope.

"In my heart I know she's alive, but I need her home," she said. "If somebody does have her, just let her go. Drop her off at a restaurant or gas station where she can get to a phone and call."

Deputies said for those outside the area wanting to help, it's difficult to find things for them to do, but police do have a message for those who live in the area:

"The biggest thing to get the message to check their areas around their home get their neighbors involved in checking the areas around the houses," said Lt. David Porter with the Grays Harbor Sheriff's Office.

090630_baum_vigil.jpg

Article:
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/49581997.html

Has anyone found anything on Scott Williams the guy who supposedly told her to go home and may be Kara's live in BF?
I cannot find anything on him.

Do we know who Kayla is? Is she listed on any of LB's MySpace pages?

Kayla is the nickname for Michaela, Kara's daughter. Lindsey left Kayla's house to walk home, then vanished.

Has anyone found anything on Scott Williams the guy who supposedly told her to go home and may be Kara's live in BF?
I cannot find anything on him.

I can't either jn. I've been looking at him most of this morning and early afternoon. I'm stumped. I have to put my thinking cap on in order to figure out a way to track him to rule him out ya know?

But he's only my short list to be honest. I do have my eye out for info on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow