NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
To people who has not been following through the night...

Most people did report it, including neighbors and family.
Please don't put any blame on them, this is bad enough as it is.
THIS ABUSE WAS REPORTED!!!

I don't know that most people reported it, but some definitely did. I have to question the number of people who actually reported all this abuse. If so many made calls over and over, it looks like even with a slack DSS (if that were the case), they would have had little choice but to mount multiple investigations that would eventually have led to something being done.

I have no doubt whatsoever that some of the people who say they reported this truly did, but I am not so sure about some of the others. Who is going to contradict anyone who wants to claim that they did, you know? Some may be saying they did because it looks so bad on them to say they knew of abuse and didn't report it.

I don't put any blame on any of them for Zahra's death -- that is the sole responsibility of the person(s) who killed her. HOWEVER, there are some who saw the abuse on a regular or continual basis -- right in front of their own eyes! -- and didn't do anything except tell SM she oughta stop or made a call and feel they'd done all they should, even though they knew Zahra continued to be tormented.

I just cannot have very much empathy for those particular people. It's no one's legal responsibility to ensure the safety of someone else's child, but when you know that a child is being severely abused and that it continues day after day, it surely is a moral responsibility to raise holy hell til that child gets help...at least it would be for me.

My frustration isn't directed toward you at all, Alice...just want to make that clear! :hug:

Guessing here too but I'm thinking even if they found remains, a positive identification may prove problematic but not impossible.

I've yet to hear if she had medical or dental attention here in the USA.

Depends on the evidence found, it could take awhile.

I was just thinking.....

I read somewhere that Zahra's cancer traveled to her lungs. I don't recall where I read this, just read something about Lung Cancer recently.
Can anyone fill me in on this? If true, things sounded dire for her.

And I'm wondering if that recent turn of health had something to do with this. If she was killed to get it over with AND perhaps to keep her alive on paper to get monthly money for her or something?

I just wonder if they received any type of monthly gov funds for Zahra somehow?

It is my understanding Zahra was in remission and had been in remission since the age of 8 IIRC.

hth

I don't know darlin gal...step-mom is pretty and sinister. Zahra's hair in that pic is very blond. Guess I'm always looking for the underhanded sadistic meaning in all that she does, especially when it comes to beautiful Zahra. moo mho

I do like your explanation though. :) moo

Or as 409812 suggested the lightened hair may also have been in reaction to an ongoing lice issue in the home or at school (depending on when these photos were taken) last year.

When my adult son was a teeenager and some of his friends would get headlice, rather than buy the appropriate product and treat it, they would simply bleach their hair. The dummies were under the impression that the bleach would kill the lice. They were mistaken! I can 't tell you how many times I had to treat my entire household because one of these kids was constantly re-infecting it. I finally had to institute headchecks upon entry

*shudder* I don't miss that time period!

I was just thinking.....

I read somewhere that Zahra's cancer traveled to her lungs. I don't recall where I read this, just read something about Lung Cancer recently.
Can anyone fill me in on this? If true, things sounded dire for her.

And I'm wondering if that recent turn of health had something to do with this. If she was killed to get it over with AND perhaps to keep her alive on paper to get monthly money for her or something?

I just wonder if they received any type of monthly gov funds for Zahra somehow?

Zahra had the bone cancer first (5ys) then recovered, two years later diagnosed with lung cancer and then recovered from that.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/suspicion-falls-on-stepmother-as-police-declare-case-a-murder-20101013-16k3y.html

THE missing 10-year-old Zahra Baker recently told a charity worker that she had a prosthetic leg because an alligator had eaten the real one.

In truth, Zahra lost her leg to bone cancer, but such was the character of the child, described by those who know her as plucky and possessing ''an absolutely great personality''.

LOL! Good for Zahra. She had spunk and a sense of humour. She sounds like a lovely child.

Guessing here too but I'm thinking even if they found remains, a positive identification may prove problematic but not impossible.

I've yet to hear if she had medical or dental attention here in the USA.

Depends on the evidence found, it could take awhile.

Not problematic, but likely slow as positive identification will likely only be available via dna comparison.

It appears the search at the current location has been called off.

Good morning everyone!

I've had a couple of our members contact me about the blanket comments regarding child welfare services. They are very dedicated to their cases and it pains them to see our negative comments about all of their peers. Also, I have a friend in my county who works for child welfare services and happen to know she is also very dedicated and that in our county, the response to calls is taken very seriously. They will contact the child alone and make a surprise visit to the home.

So please bear in mind that the system isn't messed up everywhere. Years and years ago it definitely was an issue, but I really do think many of the cracks have been filled. We need to support those people trying to help the thousands of kids who are still being abused out there, not tear them down.

Thank you guys for looking at it both ways. But in this case, I do agree that I'd like to know more about what happened with the social services that were called??? Yet, I don't blame all social services as a whole in the LEAST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member