Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Director plans movie related to Newtown shooting

Bucari says he picked Ridgefield because it looks like Newtown and he didn't want to upset Newtown residents so soon after the killings.

Ridgefield schools superintendent Deborah Low says the timing is "poor."

Bucari's Internet Movie Database page lists one completed directorial project, a TV pilot called "The Sacrificial Lamb." He has no listed telephone number and hasn't responded to online messages.

http://www.courant.com/news/connect...wtown-classroom-keys-20130131,0,1254435.story

"We became aware that not all substitutes had keys," Superintendent of Schools Janet Robinson said Wednesday.

IMO There is no excuse for this! I wonder how many might have been saved had they had keys!Now I would expect lawsuits to follow.

I've always thought that if anyone was going to file a lawsuit, it would be the families of those in Lauren Rousseau's class due to the reports that she was unable to lock her door.

However it still hasn't been revealed if Victoria Soto's door was locked. She was a full time teacher. She should have had a key and should have had time to lock her door while AL was in Lauren Rousseau's classroom. Did her door not lock? Did AL shoot his way through? There is speculation that while he didn't target specific people he did target specific rooms. I think there was mention that he passed by the first classroom and I recall an article saying that Lauren or Victoria's classroom was his old classroom.

It breaks my heart that there are so many unanswered questions and so many what-if scenarios. Like many I hope that Sandy Hook serves as a wake-up call not only for better mental health services and gun control but also for better school security measures. My kids' schools (elementary, middle, and high school) all have the same "safety" feature that Sandy Hook had - a series of locked doors and a buzz-in style system. I'll admit that it never occurred to me that someone would take a high power gun and shoot their way through. Before December 14th, I always felt so secure knowing that they had such measures in place. Our schools down south in Florida and Georgia had no such security measures in place. Anyone could just walk right in to the school.

NY College to Name Center After Newtown Principal

The Sage Colleges has announced that its Esteves School of Education is creating the Dawn Hochsprung Center for the Promotion of Mental Health and School Safety.

College officials say Hochsprung will receive her doctorate posthumously with her class in May 2015.

I posted this on another thread but thought it may be relevant here:

I'm impressed. I hope more local govt's do the same.

-------------------------------------------------

Fairfax Co. employees get mental health first aid training

Last week, 15 Fairfax County employees took a course in mental health first aid. None of them has a job that would seem to call for such training, but as more mental health care is provided outside of hospitals, people who work in local government say they are more likely to encounter people in need of mental health services.

The purpose of the course is not to teach how to diagnose or treat mental illness, but how to recognize signs and symptoms and find appropriate help, instructor Samar Helmstutler said.....

....In Fairfax, the classes, open to the general public, are booked through June, and in a sign of the growing national interest in such programs, President Obama’s gun safety proposals introduced last month include financing for mental health first aid for teachers.....

....“People with mental health problems will often find their way into our office, and for the most part we’re not professionals, so we’re not professionally trained to deal with mental illness,” Bulova said. “So a little bit of first aid and a little bit of knowledge as to what mental illnesses are and what are the best ways to handle and approach someone I think is very valuable to all of us.”....

.....“In spite of the fact that it really came about from a real tragedy in Sandy Hook, it’s a needed – this information is needed regardless of that,” he said. “People just don’t have a clear understanding and also how to help.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...c8a-11e2-8740-9b58f43c191a_story.html?hpid=z2

How Adam Lanza made a massacre without even buying a gun

February 6, 2013
By: Gianluca D'Agostino

Adam Lanza did not own a gun, he never went buying one nor he had a gun permit, neither he had to undergo background check. Nonetheless he was able to make a massacre using a Bushmaster Assault rifle.

So if he had no guns, how in the world he could had access to a Bushmaster assault rifle?

Very simple: His mother gave him the guns and taught him how to shoot.

His mother? Yes his mother. So the Adam Lanza case showed us that all the gun-control laws, the background check, the gun permit and all the other existing measures, can nothing against a loving mother who gives his disturbed son an assault rifle and teach him how to shoot.

So where exactly this leads us to?

Read more: http://www.examiner.com/article/how-adam-lanza-made-a-massacre-without-even-buying-a-gun

[video=youtube;C2TRGL4d61U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2TRGL4d61U[/video]

Published on Feb 6, 2013

Susan Getzinger's testimony at the Newtown hearing on gun violence prevention speaks to the fact that she had exposed corruption in the school system regarding exploitation of mental health issues (going so far as to state that Adam Lanza was the first victim in Newtown)

Families: Slain Newtown educators acted bravely

By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN and PAT EATON-ROBB / Associated Press
Posted: 02/06/2013 06:16:33 PM MST

DANBURY, Conn. — As a little girl, Lauren Rousseau would create make-believe classrooms with dolls and a small blackboard. And when a gunman invaded Sandy Hook Elementary School, the substitute with a life-long dream of being a teacher died doing her best to keep the children calm. She read to them, her father said. Rousseau and the other five educators slain in the Dec. 14 massacre will be honored next week with the 2012 Presidential Citizens Medal, one of the nation's highest civilian awards, for their efforts to protect the children of Sandy Hook. President Barack Obama will present the awards in a White House ceremony on Feb. 15 to the families of Rousseau, principal Dawn Hochsprung, school psychologist Mary Sherlach and teachers Rachel D'Avino, Anne Marie Murphy and Victoria Soto. "It's a really, really lovely honor," Rousseau's mother, Teresa, said Wednesday. "I think it will be really hard to accept. I'd rather have her back." The staff members have been credited with protecting the students when a gunman attacked the building. Some rushed toward him while others used their bodies to shield children from gunfire.

Read more: http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_22534480/families-slain-newtown-educators-acted-bravely

Amid Budget Woes, Newtown Tragedy Barely Mentioned

By JON LENDER, jlender@courant.comThe Hartford Courant
8:57 p.m. EST, February 6, 2013

HARTFORD — Newtown is the word that's been on everyone's lips at the state Capitol since the Dec. 14 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School, but it was barely mentioned on Wednesday as Gov. Dannel P. Malloy laid out his proposals for a $21.5 billion state budget in the coming year.

Two special panels — a legislative task force and a Sandy Hook advisory commission appointed by the governor — have been working to produce new state laws and policies in response to the Newtown shootings.

And officials on both panels agree that some of the proposals may be complicated and expensive, such as ambitious improvements to the mental health system that might provide early identification and treatment of people such as Adam Lanza, the 20-year-old who killed 26 women and children at Sandy Hook.

But the governor referred to Newtown only a couple of times in his budget speech. It came up in respectful mentions — "let us continue to keep in our hearts [all of those] that have been touched by the senseless tragedy" — but Malloy did not say anything about budget proposals specifically tied to Newtown. And, although he talked about health and human services in general, he did not mention mental health.

It is too early to know the cost of programs yet to be developed concerning mental health, school security and gun control. But there's also something telling in the fact that Malloy had to strain as hard as he did just to balance next year's budget even without building in millions for new Newtown-related programs.

Read more: http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-newtown-malloy-budget-0207-20130206,0,6744417.story

Newtown resident discusses school safety in Charleston summit

WBOY-TV , updated 2 hours 28 minutes ago

Lisa Petrovich, a former West Virginia resident and a current Newtown, Conn., resident, described the small Connecticut town as the fictional Mayberry where nothing bad could happen.

Residents never imagined the tragedy that would strike Sandy Hook Elementary, where 20 children and six staff members were fatally shot, she said.

Petrovich spoke to educators, law enforcement and members of the community during the Feb. 6 Summit on West Virginia Safe Schools, hosted at the Culture Center in Charleston.

Although Petrovich's children didn't attend at the time of the mass killing, Petrovich said she personally knew several staff members killed and parents of some of the children.

She recalled the principal, Dawn Hochsprung, as a "force to be reckoned with" and a person who was passionate about education.

"She had a lot of energy," she recalled. "She was the type of person who would bring the staff donuts every Friday. … She took her job seriously but knew you could have fun with it.

Petrovich also remembered first-grade teacher Victoria Leigh Soto, who attempted to hide her students in the closets.

According to reports, Soto ultimately died when children came out of the closet to run away. She put herself between the shooter and the kids.

"I was close to Vicky," Petrovich said, describing Soto as a "vibrant young lady."

"She was like my daughter. She was close in age to my own children."

Read more: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/50725754/

PTSD strikes Sandy Hook massacre first responders in Newtown, Conn.

Published: Wednesday, February 06, 2013

By Mark Zaretsky, Digital First Media / New Haven Register

NEWTOWN, Conn. — As many as seven police officers at a time — more than 16 percent of Newtown’s 43-member sworn police force — have been out at one time with post-traumatic stress disorder-related issues, Police Chief Michael Kehoe told the Board of Police Commissioners Tuesday night.

On Tuesday, five were out, he said.

“I’d just like to tell the board that we are experiencing some PTSD,” Kehoe told the board at its regular monthly meeting.

“At any given moment” there could be two or three officers out, but “as of this moment,” there were five, he said.

Read more: http://www.saratogian.com/articles/2013/02/06/news/doc5112ef9d89b15387192048.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Newtown Police Commission mulls budget

John Pirro

Updated 9:15 pm, Wednesday, February 6, 2013

NEWTOWN -- The Board of Police Commissioners will meet in special session Thursday evening to consider increases in the police department budget to cover additional security in the schools stemming from the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

The $6 million budget request for the 2013-14 fiscal year presented to the Board of Selectman last week, which included $135,000 in overtime, was prepared prior to the Dec. 14 massacre.

"All the numbers were pre-Sandy Hook," Chairman Paul Mangiafico told commission members at the board's regular meeting Tuesday evening.

Read more: http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/Newtown-Police-Commission-mulls-budget-4257884.php

Pastor apologizes for role in prayer vigil after Connecticut massacre

NEW YORK | Wed Feb 6, 2013 9:19pm EST

(Reuters) - A Connecticut Lutheran pastor has apologized for participating in an interfaith prayer vigil for the 26 children and adults killed at a Newtown elementary school in December because his church bars its clergy from worshiping with other faiths.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/07/us-usa-shooting-newtown-idUSBRE91603F20130207

How Adam Lanza made a massacre without even buying a gun

February 6, 2013
By: Gianluca D'Agostino

Adam Lanza did not own a gun, he never went buying one nor he had a gun permit, neither he had to undergo background check. Nonetheless he was able to make a massacre using a Bushmaster Assault rifle.

So if he had no guns, how in the world he could had access to a Bushmaster assault rifle?

Very simple: His mother gave him the guns and taught him how to shoot.

His mother? Yes his mother. So the Adam Lanza case showed us that all the gun-control laws, the background check, the gun permit and all the other existing measures, can nothing against a loving mother who gives his disturbed son an assault rifle and teach him how to shoot.

So where exactly this leads us to?

Read more: http://www.examiner.com/article/how-adam-lanza-made-a-massacre-without-even-buying-a-gun

Yes, it does highlight an issue doesn't it - ie that the person obtaining a weapon may not be the only person who has access to it or may use it. You know when you insure a car you have to nominate people who may drive it .. could there not be a similar option on a gun permit? And if there was how on earth could it be policed? Could people be required to produce a permit at shooting ranges? Would people comply? Are tougher regulations like this practical? I've seen footage of parents showing their children how to shoot guns at ranges is there an age limit for such use?

This video is interesting, I linked to it in the Gun Control thread also, but it's interesting in this discussion also [video=youtube;KNZO30lPGm4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNZO30lPGm4[/video]

Families: Slain Newtown educators acted bravely

By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN and PAT EATON-ROBB / Associated Press
Posted: 02/06/2013 06:16:33 PM MST

DANBURY, Conn. — As a little girl, Lauren Rousseau would create make-believe classrooms with dolls and a small blackboard. And when a gunman invaded Sandy Hook Elementary School, the substitute with a life-long dream of being a teacher died doing her best to keep the children calm. She read to them, her father said. Rousseau and the other five educators slain in the Dec. 14 massacre will be honored next week with the 2012 Presidential Citizens Medal, one of the nation's highest civilian awards, for their efforts to protect the children of Sandy Hook. President Barack Obama will present the awards in a White House ceremony on Feb. 15 to the families of Rousseau, principal Dawn Hochsprung, school psychologist Mary Sherlach and teachers Rachel D'Avino, Anne Marie Murphy and Victoria Soto. "It's a really, really lovely honor," Rousseau's mother, Teresa, said Wednesday. "I think it will be really hard to accept. I'd rather have her back." The staff members have been credited with protecting the students when a gunman attacked the building. Some rushed toward him while others used their bodies to shield children from gunfire.

Read more: http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_22534480/families-slain-newtown-educators-acted-bravely

Teresa Rousseau now has the silver charm bracelet her daughter was wearing the day she was killed. It tells the story of Lauren Rousseau's life in miniature - there's an apple for being a teacher, a camera because her father is a photographer and a charm for Cape Cod, where they would visit relatives. As she speaks, Lauren's cat, Laila, jumps up on the couch to be petted. Every few days, Rousseau has moments where she forgets her daughter is gone. She thinks Lauren can pick up some milk on her way home or give her a ride before she remembers. "I feel it especially because she lived here with me," said Rousseau, crying and clutching a tissue. "I've been using her hairspray and the perfume she gave me for Mother's Day. She's still, like, in every pore of the house." Even a mundane moment can trigger the horror of that day, like when Rousseau was at the store and realized she was in aisle 26. The pain is palpable, she said. "It's just like a stabbing," Rousseau said.

:please::please::please: Every time I think I can't cry anymore, I read something like this. I can't imagine these poor families having to live with such pain. Plus the fact that Lauren Rousseau kept her class calm, reading to those children while they huddled in the corner of the room, knowing all along that her door was unlocked... :(

Noah Pozner's grandmother. :please:

Back home

Then our home was a time warp: I had forgotten that we had been in the process of decorating it for Christmas when we left precipitously on December 14th. There were boxes of ornaments left and right. The stepladder was still up. A red and white bead garland hung loose from one side of the doorframe. The tree stood unlit and petrified in a corner of the living area, like a stalagmite from the plant world incongruously decorated for the saddest of holidays. The star was pinned on the 13th on the naïve advent calendar I made for my kids out of a pillowcase back in 1974, a calendar their own kids love to see come out every year.

After seven weeks, it was like being rocketed back to a time before time we could barely recollect. So much had happened since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member