TX - Jordan Parker, 8 mos, mauled to death by pitbull, 15 July 2004

The pit bull, which had no history of aggressive behavior, had been tussling with another pet, a smaller terrier, when it attacked the boy, Kerss said.

Many have no history of aggressive behavior ~ till they kill ya!! :rolleyes:

That was my husbands comments... "it's never attacked any kids before..." well NO kidding. If it's attacked kids before, it would be put down.

I am a dog lover as well but at least twice a year we hear a this specific breed killing soemone..

IMO the entire Breed needs to be eliminated..
At the absolute very least owners should have to live up to the same rules and procedures required when owning a wild and dangerous animal such as a tiger or lion.
IE: reginstering with state for inspection of kennel or enclosure.
Enclosure must meet certain criteria and all that goes with owning a wild and potentially dangerous animal.
IMO Pit bulls are not domesticated pets... No more so then a pet wolf or other wild type animal would be.
I am not saying that some aren't sweet and wonderful pets.. But I've know people with sweet and wonderul Tigers as well... It does not mean they can be trusted as they are wild and not domestic. And can turn on anyone in an instant.

A freak attack can occur with any type of dog. Remember the daschund attack last year?

My family has a pitbull that is 15 years old and although he looks menacing -not as much now since he is an old guy - but is the sweetest, most gentle "second chance" doggy that we got from the shelter.

Punish the deed, not the breed.

lisad71 said:
A freak attack can occur with any type of dog. Remember the daschund attack last year?

My family has a pitbull that is 15 years old and although he looks menacing -not as much now since he is an old guy - but is the sweetest, most gentle "second chance" doggy that we got from the shelter.

Punish the deed, not the breed.
I STRONGLY disagree Lisa. Your family has been lucky. Pitbulls have one of the highest rates of attacks of breeds.

These dogs were bred to attack and kill other dogs. That's their instinct, that's their history. Just like labs were bred to fetch birds, hounds & setters were bred to locate and trail game, dobermans, rottweilers, danes & akitas bred to work & protect. I could go on and on. There are too many times that people have put dogs before children and I'm sick to death of it.

:twocents:

EDITED TO ADD A LINK: PITBULLS HAVE COST THE MOST DEATHS OF ALL BREEDS. PUNISH THE BREED!!!!!!!!!
http://www.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/09/15/deadly.dogs.ap/

Pit bulls, which had been responsible for more deaths than any other breed, were involved in 21 fatal attacks over the same period.

blueclouds said:
I STRONGLY disagree Lisa. Your family has been lucky. Pitbulls have one of the highest rates of attacks of breeds.

These dogs were bred to attack and kill other dogs. That's their instinct, that's their history. Just like labs were bred to fetch birds, hounds & setters were bred to locate and trail game, dobermans, rottweilers, danes & akitas bred to work & protect. I could go on and on. There are too many times that people have put dogs before children and I'm sick to death of it.

:twocents:

EDITED TO ADD A LINK: PITBULLS HAVE COST THE MOST DEATHS OF ALL BREEDS. PUNISH THE BREED!!!!!!!!!
http://www.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/09/15/deadly.dogs.ap/

Pit bulls, which had been responsible for more deaths than any other breed, were involved in 21 fatal attacks over the same period.
First, the link you posted is to an article titled "Study: Rottweilers responsible for most fatal attacks on humans".

The sentence from the article that you referenced to support your argument was prefaced by the opening paragraph which was:

"Rottweilers have passed pit bulls as America's deadliest dog breed, according to a study released Friday.

The large dogs were involved in 33 fatal attacks on humans between 1991 and 1998, the American Veterinary Medical Association said."

Shall we eliminate the Rotties while we're at it?

As far as pits being bred to fight, I'm not going to dispute that they were orginally bred as pit fighting dogs, but then so were Boston Terriers (think "Baxter" on the Zrytec commericals). The point being all dogs -regardless of breed - need supervision around children, just as the children need to be supervised around the dog.

I understand what article I posted Lisa. And yes Rottweilers should be put down too if they pose any danger whatsoever. When I was 9 months pregnant, I went to retrieve something from the freezer in my mothers garage. She had cancer and was incapacitated. Rottweiler cornered me and kept me there for almost 2 hours before my little sister came home and got him away from me. So could he have killed me and my baby??? uuhhhh yah, he was sure trying to.

How strange that you don't seem to care that pitbulls held the most deadliest dog prior to rottweilers. Both of those breeds NEVER EVER BELONG where children are at any given time. Not unlike any wild animals in captivity or circus. Eventually, they'll try something. Look at Siegfried and Roy. Nothing for 30+ years of their career and then walla, career destroyed in a heartbeat.

anyway, MY point is children and some dog breeds don't mix and never will.

Can you honestly tell me that a child was never ever left unattended for a split second over the 15 years with the family dog? Impossible.

The article states
"It's not a Rottweiler problem or a pit bull problem," said Randall Lockwood, the Humane Society's vice president for research and educational outreach. "It's a people problem."

Very much like the old argument “guns don’t kill people, people kill people”. I for one, believe this to be true. The instrument of death is who is behind it, not what instrument killed.

I used Barbara Woodhouse's "No more bad dogs" to train mine :) I have raised two shepherds, one German, one Aussie. Both incredible animals, but without proper training (discipline tempered with love) any domesticated animal (an animal bred to be with humans) can behave poorly.
Same with children, animals crave discipline just as children need and desire it, order if you will.

I would never leave any animal unattended with a small child, no matter what breed or size. My folks have a little 3 pound dog, and she licks people if you let her, about the nose and mouth. I doubt she has ever been near a baby, but you can imagine that could prove quite hazardous if left unattended for too long. Same with kitties, kitties can lay too close to a baby or bite a baby, even though they can be tiny, they could still injure a baby or small child. Heck, I have a HUGE scar on one of my arms from trying to rescue a cat once. The cat went ballistic on me and cut me perty bad with it’s claws.

Responsibility is key. The human adult is responsible, or we would hope they would be. Animals often time reflect their owners personality or disposition. For example, I know of a case of a gal in Texas who was dealing drugs, beat her dogs, and eventually the dogs turned on her. Happens all the time. No matter what breed, what size, people need to be responsible owners, period.

In Germany, certain breeds must be muzzled to be let outside and must always be on a leash. The leash law is rarely enforced, as in America, because there is not enough manpower, sadly. Last year, a man whose dog had bitten once and was on “muzzle restriction” was walking his dog loose, no leash, no muzzle. The dog saw some young children playing in a Kindergarten and jumped the fence and killed a small child. The police came and killed the dog, but the child was still dead. This happens everywhere, and the owner is and should be held accountable, period.

Certain breeds were bred for certain purposes. i.e. cattle or herding dogs should be allowed to roam and be around cattle and livestock, which they will herd instinctively, btw. Hunting dogs should be used for hunting purposes. Blood hounds should be put into use for search and rescue. Bird dogs should be taken out to fetch birds. My folks have a bird dog who once brought them an injured bird so they could tend to it. The dog did not hurt the bird. They are very gentle with their mouths. Don’t bring HUGE animals into your home and leave them unattended with your small children. Common sense should always prevail.

No comment on the breed, as I prefer shepherds. Have never owned a pit, never even thought about owning one. I saw a German shepherd attack when I was a small child and thought I would never own one, but found my baby by the side of the road as a pup. If you raise one from that tiny little size, it's quite different than getting them full grown.

I have strong feelings about people adopting wild animals, i.e. animals normally born in the wild. For instance, large cats. I used to volunteer at a wild cat refuge and I can tell you the critter you bought to be a playmate for your young child may soon eat your child. Think about it, ok. Educate yourselves, please. With knowledge, no one would buy such an animal. Every previous owner of such cats had some ego thing happening and bought the cat for attention, for bragging purposes. It is a thrill that dies quickly. More than 90% are killed within the first year of life. The other 10% suffer terrible fates. I know, I helped rescue them.
One cat came to the refuge because he accidentally smothered his owner while sleeping. Hgmmmm, funny thing, you let a little cat sleep on your chest and then once it is 3 - 4 times your size, it can kill you, even if it is an accident.

A 600 pound wild cat does not a good house pet make!
I am not here to argue, but to simply make a point.
Be responsible in pet ownership, and then you do not have to worry.

blueclouds, if you will e-mail me, I will send you some information on what to do should that horrific situation ever occur again.
I know, I have been there too. I hike a lot, and often times am in face to face encounters with large dogs that are loose.

Blessings to all, Lanie
Help For The Missing
HelpForTheMissing@yahoo.com

Lanie, you're posting is excellent. BlueClouds, I think we need to agree to disagree. It's not that I don't care that pits were cited as being the breed responsible for the most attacks prior to Rotties, but I feel that when an attack occurs specifically with pitbulls everyone is quick to say "Kill 'em all. Make the breed extinct." As far as the Rottweiler that had you cornered for two hours...whose dog was he? You didn't say, but I'm going to assume it was a family dog if it was in the garage with you. If he was your mom's dog, he could have been extra protective of her given the condition she was in. My aunt had a stroke about 2 months ago and when my cousin came over to check on her, she found her on the floor with her mixed breed dog by her side. Cha Cha barked and growled at my cousin, whom she has known her whole life, in an effort to protect my aunt.

Another thought is the Rottie could have also sensed your fear of him and played off of that. It happens.

As far as certain breeds not being good around kids, as a responsible dog owner, you need to know your animal, and if you think the arrangement is not going to work, its best to not force it. My father has a German Shepherd that doesn't like to be around other dogs, cats or men. The dog was never abused, went through obedience training, etc., its just he doesn't like any of those things and you can't force it.

When I was about 8 years old, I visited my dad who had just gotten a huge German Shepard. He was fun to play with and liked to take walks on his leash. One morning after walking him around the block we were two houses away from reaching home and he suddenly turned on me. I was knocked down and he kept biting me. I was terrified and kept screaming for help. Two men came running out of a house and pulled him off me. My father got rid of the dog. Then later on, my dad got another German Sheppard puppy. I raised him and was never afraid of him. However, he was protective of me and if someone jumped the fence into our yard (the neighbor boy would do this), they quickly had to jump back over to safety with Josh at their heels. I had him many years and later in life when my boyfriend would come over to my house, Josh would lay at his feet and gently place his jaws around my boyfriend's ankle. He was ready to attack should he feel I was being threatened. I don't own any animals any longer and I know I will never have a sheppard, pitt or rot. (I had a rot from puppy stage but when she grew up, I started being afraid of her sooooo, I had to find her another home):( Dogs need to be in the perfect situation for them. It's hard to forsee what can trigger them into attacking. No one ever thought the Tonto would attack me while taking him for a walk. I guess he had wanted a longer walk. ????

lisad71 said:
As far as certain breeds not being good around kids, as a responsible dog owner, you need to know your animal,
Do you think the family that owned this pitbull knew their animal before it ripped apart their baby?

I cannot abide pitbulls, when I see them I cross the street. They may be loving animals to 'their' family as a rule but they are a danger to other animals, other people, other children, other families that are not their own.

Recently here where I live, a Mom was having a walk with her 4 and 6 year old little girls when a pitbull came from nowhere and attacked them.. it had the 6 year old down and was biting her face and hands as she tried to protect herself, the mom was beating at the dog but it would not stop.. a motorist stopped and ran to help, started hitting the pitbull with a piece of wood it would not stop attacking the little girl... the police came and had to shoot it THREE TIMES, to kill it... the little girl was in hospital for weeks and will need surgery to repair her mangled face. Other little girl was in shock and is now in councelling. The Mom was shaking with anger at a news conference as she described the attack and she was so grateful the motorist came to help her because there was nothing she could do, this dog was not budging.

All dogs can turn on their owners or attack strangers, no doubt, but smaller breed attacks are not usually fatal. I don't think dogs that can KILL should be pets.. especially those with questionable breeding, they are whacko.

Maybe the owners should have a special license to own such breeds and have to have manditory training and/or the animal evaluated for temperment. It might not solve all the pitbull fatalities but it could reduce them.

This is an argument that has gone on for decades.

Yes, large breed and medium breeds can kill mostly because of their size.

Yes, pit-bull have been bred to kill. Most all dogs, if they feel they are in danger for their lives, will attempt to kill. It's rare but as we know, it happens.

In Detroit Pit-bulls are outlawed.

I feel that there are so many good dogs put to sleep every year why risk having a pit-bull or a Rot that could turn and kill?

I wish everyone would go to their local shelter and get a mixed breed. Rarely do mixed breeds kill or harm unless they have been abused.

That way we solve two problems. Unwanted animals are spared their lives and Pit-bulls and other dangerous breeds are no longer around families where they could pose a threat.

Michael J. Fox is a big Pit-bull fan. I think he has three if I am not mistaken.

Tricia, I bet Michel J. Fox's pitbulls came from a reputable breeder. Many of the problems with shelter or pet store pitbulls is that they are inbred with litter mates and are not healthy psychologically (ie) they can turn on you for no reason

Casshew said:
they are inbred with litter mates and are not healthy psychologically (ie) they can turn on you for no reason

At the risk of ending up in the Parking lot... maybe that's what happened to a certain person that's on trial currently. :waitasec: :angel:

I'll slap myself Trish :slap:

blueclouds said:
At the risk of ending up in the Parking lot... maybe that's what happened to a certain person that's on trial currently. :waitasec:
Martha Stewart!!!??? :eek:

I have been embroiled in this pitbull debate with my son in law for months now. My granddaughter will start crawling soon and he keeps the pitbull in the house behind a wimpy child gate. I have actually considered dognapping the beast and getting rid of it on my own.

I have printed this story up to give to my daughter but I truly hope the dog is gone soon.

tybee204 said:
My granddaughter will start crawling soon and he keeps the pitbull in the house behind a wimpy child gate. I have actually considered dognapping the beast and getting rid of it on my own.

I have printed this story up to give to my daughter but I truly hope the dog is gone soon.
Tybee, I hope you follow your instincts. People always say they saw no indication of an attack. You, sense something and it may be very wise to follow your instincts. I am not being paranoid. There are never enough signals to prevent an injury or death. Hope you prevail on this.

Tybee get rid of that animal for the safety of your precious Emma. If I was in GA or SC I would come help you 'dog nap'

Hate those things :furious:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire