Thoughts about listening to prison phone calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlwaysShocked

Reaction score
Some thoughts that struck me:

Sad, so sad to listen to these mothers not being with their children. And family members coping with caring for those children.

"If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" has new meaning. Perhpas teenagers going down the wrong path should be forced to sit and listen to tapes like these?

The noise level in the background is constantly punctuated with yelling and shouting. And I do remember reading somewhere else one time about how disturbingly loud it is inside a jail.

Ten years sounds like a lot for growing marijuana to me, but I don't know the laws on these types of things. High sentence because the intention was for distribution and sale of a large amount?

My initial thought is that I have a headache just listening to them, I can't even imagine living through this or in that environment. Likewise, I am grateful to not have a loved one to worry about enduring it, either.

I think everyone charged that is lucky enough to receive a sentence of probation only should have these tapes pumped into their homes. Likewise, for juvenile offenders. Can anyone say reality check?

The children of these inmates...omgosh... all i have is :( :( :(

I feel mostly sorry for the children and families. What are these women thinking? When you traffic marijuana and opiates you run the risk of imprisonment, so you are putting your children last by even taking the risk. Yes, it would suck to be in her shoes, suck to be jailed, but c'mon. Wake up. I hope when Robyn gets out she makes better choices. She seems smart enough to straighten herself out, and has some family support. She's got the best odds of all of them for rehabilitation, imo.

It was very sad listening to Robyn's calls. I did listen to a few and had to stop. I have mixed feelings because in her transcripts she was very worried about her kids learning of all this, and now it it's ALL out there. How old are the kids? Oh can you imagine them in school. On the other hand, involving herself in such a high-profile case, she had to know this was going to affect her life, as well as her loved ones.

Her Mommy...OMG what a dearheart! She is lucky to have her parents supporting and inspiring her.

Sad, so sad to listen to these mothers not being with their children. And family members coping with caring for those children.

"If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" has new meaning. Perhpas teenagers going down the wrong path should be forced to sit and listen to tapes like these?

The noise level in the background is constantly punctuated with yelling and shouting. And I do remember reading somewhere else one time about how disturbingly loud it is inside a jail.

Ten years sounds like a lot for growing marijuana to me, but I don't know the laws on these types of things. High sentence because the intention was for distribution and sale of a large amount?
I would think the fact that RA threatened to kill anyone who turned her in, (and at the time, she didn't know she was dealing with someone working undercover), didn't help her sentence any as far as leniency.

Wow! I totally agree with what you have all said here. It is sad and very depressing. These women have made some horrible choices in their lives... they deserve to be were they are and I hope it helps them. It's sad that they didn't think about their kids before they made those choices. When you have children, the choices you make are made for the kids too. Do they want their kids growing up doing drugs or stealing? That's what will probably happen if they don't change their own lives. Hope they all see it before it's too late.

It is hard for me to understand how Robyn got so far off base in her life. Her parents sound like very good, concerned religious people. Her dad is so supportive of her and obviously very involved and loving towrards her children.

He is discussing the Christmas presents he bought for her children and is also talking about all of the children's activities - taking one to a dance recital, taking the children to a play at church.

Makes me wonder if I could handle my own grandchildren on a full time basis should something happen to their parents. I guess you do what you have to do in life.

Is Tracey - who is in Iowa - a relative of Robyn's? Or someone who was in jail with her? Or what?

It is hard for me to understand how Robyn got so far off base in her life. Her parents sound like very good, concerned religious people. Her dad is so supportive of her and obviously very involved and loving towrards her children.

He is discussing the Christmas presents he bought for her children and is also talking about all of the children's activities - taking one to a dance recital, taking the children to a play at church.

Makes me wonder if I could handle my own grandchildren on a full time basis should something happen to their parents. I guess you do what you have to do in life.

Is Tracey - who is in Iowa - a relative of Robyn's? Or someone who was in jail with her? Or what?

From what I read, Tracey is RA's best friend.

Its horrible to listen to these. I feel panicked just thinking about the confinement, the lack of freedom, the noise, the cold showers, the food, not to mention the constant fear. Didn't RA blame someone else for ratting her out, or setting her up? Not taking responsibility is not a good place to be while sitting 10 years in jail.
I also hear in the tone of the people on the outside, sort of a resignation, a tired tolerance. It must be horrible to get regular calls from someone in jail needing your constant support. If its family you have no choice but to help get them through it. What a burden a person places on their whole circle when they decide to commit a crime.
Good thread, thanks.

It makes me feel dirty to listen to someone so vulnerable sharing her intermost feelings of despair. I think the police will pull from these what they need I dont need to be the one to find anything out from them. She is not my target in this investigation. I'm having a hard time putting her and Casey as two peas in a pod kind of thing. I just dont feel it towards her. Probabaly because she did not kill her child.

Listening to them is kind of like being a prison guard. You aren't really in prison but you are.

I would think the fact that RA threatened to kill anyone who turned her in, (and at the time, she didn't know she was dealing with someone working undercover), didn't help her sentence any as far as leniency.

(bold mine)

Plus, there were numerous firearms involved - and adding guns to a drug charge is always going to escalate things. PlusPlus, Robyn illegally obtained (lots of) Rx drugs - that certainly didn't help.

According to this press release Robyn pleaded guilty to and was sentenced in accordance with just the conspiracy to distribute and possession of a firearm charges.

Seems like it could have been worse than 10 years...

Its horrible to listen to these. I feel panicked just thinking about the confinement, the lack of freedom, the noise, the cold showers, the food, not to mention the constant fear. Didn't RA blame someone else for ratting her out, or setting her up? Not taking responsibility is not a good place to be while sitting 10 years in jail.
I also hear in the tone of the people on the outside, sort of a resignation, a tired tolerance. It must be horrible to get regular calls from someone in jail needing your constant support. If its family you have no choice but to help get them through it. What a burden a person places on their whole circle when they decide to commit a crime.
Good thread, thanks.

I agree with your post in its entirety! Well said.

Thoughts, ok, I feel like I am a researcher at a reference library - I'm not getting paid and working for unknown entities - totally different tone here today

I have not listened to these but I have read the comments about them, from what I have gathered thus far they have relatively nothing at all to do with Casey, and I am not understanding why we are being allowed to listen to these. It seems as though people are getting thrown into this and thier lives being picked apart and things that have nothing at all to do with Casey or Caylee are being allowed. I do not understand this. How is Robyn's conversations with her children her dad, friends or sister related to Caylee or Casey? One or two sentences here and there seems like we are intruding and I for one do not see why this is being allowed.
Robyn and others as far as I know are not even on the witness list, the only thing these women have anything to do with this case is Robyn and Casey passing notes that have been released. I just feel as though this is wrong listening to these calls because I see no evidentuary value to them.

I have not listened to these but I have read the comments about them, from what I have gathered thus far they have relatively nothing at all to do with Casey, and I am not understanding why we are being allowed to listen to these. It seems as though people are getting thrown into this and thier lives being picked apart and things that have nothing at all to do with Casey or Caylee are being allowed. I do not understand this. How is Robyn's conversations with her children her dad, friends or sister related to Caylee or Casey? One or two sentences here and there seems like we are intruding and I for one do not see why this is being allowed.
Robyn and others as far as I know are not even on the witness list, the only thing these women have anything to do with this case is Robyn and Casey passing notes that have been released. I just feel as though this is wrong listening to these calls because I see no evidentuary value to them.
I feel the opposite, only because she inserted herself into the case via big accusations against KC. Public consumption now to sort through for facts. No different than any other person we have sleuthed or docs we have read related to persons involved in the case. JMO.

I have not listened to these but I have read the comments about them, from what I have gathered thus far they have relatively nothing at all to do with Casey, and I am not understanding why we are being allowed to listen to these. It seems as though people are getting thrown into this and thier lives being picked apart and things that have nothing at all to do with Casey or Caylee are being allowed. I do not understand this. How is Robyn's conversations with her children her dad, friends or sister related to Caylee or Casey? One or two sentences here and there seems like we are intruding and I for one do not see why this is being allowed.Robyn and others as far as I know are not even on the witness list, the only thing these women have anything to do with this case is Robyn and Casey passing notes that have been released. I just feel as though this is wrong listening to these calls because I see no evidentuary value to them.

BBM

I agree, actually. Pursuant to FL law, they are public record. I had to stop listening for a bit. I feel dirty and like I am invading someone's privacy. Not so much the inmates, but their families and friends. I don't know. I have mixed feelings.

Still, the defense has access to use these same recordings as they see fit to bolster their case. So, I feel from a prosecution standpoint, there is a duty to investigate these calls, too. To be blindsided at trial is not a good thing.

I feel the opposite, only because she inserted herself into the case via big accusations against KC. Public consumption now to sort through for facts. No different than any other person we have sleuthed or docs we have read related to persons involved in the case. JMO.

Robyn did not insert herself into the case as far as I know, from what I read another inmate turned it in Maya I believe and LE came to her and she then turned them over.
Same with River, she did not go to LE, LE came to her.

As far as them being public record, so are myspace pages but we are not allowed to sleuth friends of friends of friends or people that are not directly related to the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member