NY NY - Peter Winston, 20, New York City, 26 Jan 1978

By coincidence a thread I subscribe to (NY - Plainview - Male (Namus #140), 23-57, March 2004) was bumped up a few days ago, and someone posted a possibility of Peter Winston as being an unidentified body that meets several criteria. I posted more on that thread, but I'm posting the picture of the reconstructed face of the body along with Peter's face. I think it's a very good possibility, especially after reading the "Observer" article.

PS - Just noticed that you,bodhi, were the one that posted both!

Attachments

• peterwinstonphoto1.jpg
    peterwinstonphoto1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 33
  • peterwinstonphoto2.jpeg
    peterwinstonphoto2.jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 34
  • coldcaseface.jpg
    coldcaseface.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 37
I know we have the picture, but, I wish we had height/weight etc on Peter. I think he looks a lot like the Plainview reconstruction. A LOT.

I know we have the picture, but, I wish we had height/weight etc on Peter. I think he looks a lot like the Plainview reconstruction. A LOT.

I agree - and the fact that NYPD has no report on him makes it all the more likely, IMO...

wow the pictures resemble each other a lot. doesn't it take time before someone is registered on a missing person's website?

I am so angry that this young man was not reported missing back when he disappeared. It's almost like no one cared enough to do anything except make a few phone calls. Then again, there isn't even alot of info out there about him now, save a couple of articles and those were written only in the last few years. Here's hoping that someone will get Peter on Charley or Doe.

I don't see any updates for Peter and I couldn't find a Namus or Doenet page for him, at least not viewable by the public. In the Plainview UID thread, CarlK indicated that they were trying to start one but couldn't because of the lack of a missing persons report.

After all the time that has gone by why isn't Peter listed in any missing persons sites? Can his family be reached to report him missing if a report is needed? Why wasn't there ever a report if his last known behaviors were concerning? If no one has seen him since 1978 can't he automatically be considered missing if no one has seen or heard from him in over 30 years? Maybe Peter's case can start a new law concerning the unreported but obviously missing or whereabouts unknown cases that seemingly feel through the cracks. Just like in Lyle Stevik's case, his family assumed he choose to distance himself from them. If there is a law regarding unreported persons maybe this wouldn't happen as often (I understand this is easier said then done).

It sounds like a good idea on the surface. But on the other hand, I used to work with a woman who had chosen to distance herself from her abusive, controlling, just plain psycho family. She had to go so far as to legally change her name to keep them from finding her. We like to think that all missing people should be "found," but for many walkaways, there are good reasons for what they're doing.

Rbbm. Easy to imagine PW living under the radar, perhaps unrecognizable as a street person, although certain traits like his food preferences ect. might help him stand out. Maybe he did try to head towards Texas? imo, speculation.

Peter Winston: Vanished Prodigy

By Sarah Weinman • 07/18/12
The Mysterious Disappearance of Peter Winston
"What makes the case of Peter Winston so baffling is that at one time he was fairly well-known. The cover of the December 19, 1964, edition of The Saturday Evening Post bears the words “BOY GENIUS,” and inside, not far removed from a short story by Thomas Pynchon, is Gilbert Millstein’s account of a very special 6-year-old child attending one of the earliest of the schools for gifted children that popped up around the New York City area, Sands Point Elementary in Long Island.

Peter was, Millstein wrote, “a wiry, intense-looking youngster with dark-blond hair and hazel eyes, big ears, a wide vulnerable mouth and a somewhat oracular manner of address that is in peculiar contrast to both the shape of his mouth and his childish treble.”
"He could tell people—as he did Sands Point’s headmaster—what day of the week their birthday would fall on in any given year using the “calendar in his head.” At age 5, Peter stood up in class and gave a detailed precis of the assassination of President Kennedy, cobbled together from newspaper and TV accounts. He even argued about the existence of God with a classmate, Richard Brody, now a writer for The New Yorker, fascinating the teacher who overheard a snatch of the conversation."

Mr. Brody and other Sands Point classmates remembered Peter as the smartest person they ever knew, and a total eccentric. While the other kids ate cafeteria food, Peter brought the same brown-bag lunch—“salami wrapped in tinfoil, a container of milk and a banana,” Mr. Brody said—every day. He wore hunter boots where others wore penny loafers, and at baseball games he would generally broadcast the action to himself."

The Mysterious Disappearance of Peter Winston
"As the meal went on, they grew increasingly worried by Peter’s demeanor. He was disheveled, his long curly hair even more unruly than usual. He was muttering something about going to Texas to see Walter Korn, author of the chess bible Modern Chess Openings, and said Korn “was God.” His friend’s parents were so disturbed by Peter’s comments they called his mother, according to Mr. Polowan.

Winston left not long after. No one ever saw him again."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back