Pit Bull Saves Woman and Child From Attack

southcitymom

Reaction score
Website
www.janicefahy.com
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. -- The wandering 65-pound Pit Bull mix might have seemed menacing to some passerby, but one woman will always remember him as her "guardian angel."

The dog, which authorities think is lost and not a stray, successfully thwarted a robbery attack on a mother and her 2-year-old son, who were held at knifepoint Monday afternoon.

http://www.zootoo.com/petnews/straydogsaveswomanchildheldatk-993

Hey WSers,

This is an oldish story, but I just saw it for the first time today. I apologize if there's a thread on it - I couldn't find one, but I've not yet had enough coffee to be completely sure of myself!

Anyway, as a person who has real concerns about pit bulls, I wanted to give proper publicity to a story where the action of one was helpful and not harmful.

I miss you all terribly - have been too busy with "real life" to hang here much!

Don't you think that if the dog had actually belonged to her someone else would come forward to say so. That's silliness. Unexplainable things happen everyday.

As crazy as this story is, I believe MARS has the dog's best interest at heart. They will treat the heart worms and find it a good home. As much as the woman who claimed the dog saved her may want "Angel", it is probably better that the dog is put into foster care so its behavior can be monitored before finding a permanent home. No offense to the breed, but this woman does not need to have a pit bull with an unknown temperament in her home with her child. It's better this way!! (IMO)

I don't know if the womans story is true or not. A part of me questions a mother getting into a car with her 2 yo child if there is a unknown pitbull inside.
Seriously, would any of you get behind a wheel, leaving your toddler in the back with a pitbull that just got into your car?
Regardless of if it's true or not, it sounds like the dog is finally getting treated for his health problems and will be able to find a forever home and for that I am happy!

VB

I can't comment on the pit bull aspect of this, that is a debate I refuse to get into. I just wanted to comment that we have a parsons russel who will growl and bare his teeth if he thinks any adult is playing too rough with ANY child. It could just be something like tickling until the child is laughing loud, our "Custard" feels he must save the from the tickle monster.

So they say Angel is to docile nature that he would not have charged the alleged attacker. Maybe Angel is docile nature but also knows and senses when someone is a danger or maybe just knows knifes are a threat.What a great story thanks for sharing. Angel is truely an angel in my book.

So they say Angel is to docile nature that he would not have charged the alleged attacker. Maybe Angel is docile nature but also knows and senses when someone is a danger or maybe just knows knifes are a threat.What a great story thanks for sharing. Angel is truely an angel in my book.

I totally agree. My pit has a very docile nature, but I know he would lay down his life for me if I were in danger......in fact, I think he would protect anyone he thought was in danger.

Angel is a beautiful angel!

They are such gorgeous animals! I would love to have one but.........I'm afraid of them. Well, I'm afraid of German Shepherds and Rottweilers, too- LOL. But about 15 years ago we got a pup at a pet store that they said was a lab/border collie mix. She turned out to be a HUGE German Shepherd- LOL! She was a wonderful protector and I never felt afraid of her for our family but I surely couldn't trust her with outsiders. I miss Molly but I am still afraid of Shepherds in general. We have neighbors with a pitty. It is so beautiful and I am terribly afraid of it. One night it got in front of my car and wouldn't move. I had to sit in my car forever, too afraid to get for fear it would kill me.

What a nice story. Good dog! Good dog! And for posting it, Good Southcity Mom, Good Mom!

I can't comment on the pit bull aspect of this, that is a debate I refuse to get into. I just wanted to comment that we have a parsons russel who will growl and bare his teeth if he thinks any adult is playing too rough with ANY child. It could just be something like tickling until the child is laughing loud, our "Custard" feels he must save the from the tickle monster.
Our Shar pei and 95 lb pit bull/Mastif mix are the exact same way.

I had a lab sheppard who looked a bit like a pit who would lick you the second she looked at you but if we wrestled around or even got into a loud discussion she would bark and bare her teeth especially if the male person was the "aggressor." We theorized that before she was rescued she may have lived in a home where there was abuse.

Maybe the pet rescue wants to make sure that people adopting him won't worry about further "aggressive" incidents.

I have a cat that will attack my dog when my dog gets too aggressive with guests. Doesn't matter if the cat knows the people or not.

I'm not sure why some are adamant that this dog didn't protect the woman and her child.

Any chance it was the attacker's dog and had been chained in the woods nearby or something, and managed to escape? If it had been mistreated somehow it might have felt aggression towards the owner more than a desire to protect strangers. It would also explain why the dog's owner isn't keen on surfacing and letting the world know it's his dog.

I'm not sure why someone would threaten to adopt the dog via force? How strange. That doesn't make much sense.

And the original article said the woman who was saved would adopt him after 5 days if he wasn't claimed. Why did that fall through? Strange situation overall.

As for the "docile" dog protecting a stranger, this does not surprise me at all. You would think MARS would know enough about animals to understand that, but apparently they don't. It's very easy to believe and not unheard of! Maybe MARS stole the dog?

With all the dog attack and mauling stories we read lately, I'm thrilled to read about an animal acting like a true hero. I own and show " a vicious" breed of dog. I have one who is training for SAR and one who is a certified therapy dog. They are the single calmest, smartest, most think on their feet breed of dog. While mine have not shown any type of aggression in the past, I do believe if I were injured or being threatened they would react with all their instinctual power to protect their pack leader. For me, it is not a stretch to believe that a roaming dog would react this way if he saw someone in danger. If the dog believes that people are at the top of the chain of command, he would instinctually respond. Its quite possible that the notion of a pitbull was enough to scare off the bad guy as well. Kudos to Angel, despite the drama that is now involved, this dog acted nobley and I'm happy to have read about him.

i too, applaud this story..i know there are bad pits( and bad other breeds, small and large) as well as good pits..my ex roomate had a white pit bull, and she was so docile, my daughter( who was 2 at the time) could hug all over her( i always watch BOTH of them when they interacted)..i NEVER had any fears of diamond( the dogs name) but my roomies 2 chihuahuas? those were another story, always nipping at someone. THOSE dogs i had to watch around her!
i hope angel finds a forever home/happy ending..

i too, applaud this story..i know there are bad pits( and bad other breeds, small and large) as well as good pits..my ex roomate had a white pit bull, and she was so docile, my daughter( who was 2 at the time) could hug all over her( i always watch BOTH of them when they interacted)..i NEVER had any fears of diamond( the dogs name) but my roomies 2 chihuahuas? those were another story, always nipping at someone. THOSE dogs i had to watch around her!
i hope angel finds a forever home/happy ending..

Just wanted to pop in to say that I appreciate that you are able to recognize that there are good dogs, even in breeds that are sometimes implicated as being violent. :clap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back