UT - Stetson Hallam for attempting kidnapping, Provo, 2010

This case has "weird" written all over it. Fortunately in this case from Provo, Utah, the victim got away and eventually reported the perp...

http://heraldextra.com/news/local/article_f24cbc85-a50b-5986-a443-887f1d5ee905.html

This is a typical case...something to learn from for all young women. If he seems "weird" it's because he probable is. Stay away. Let authorities know--quickly if this happens. Your getting someone with an obivious
"problem" attention and maybe saving yourself or your own sisters from him in the future.

I think the women are so shocked and confused when this happens that they just want to forget it.

Thank God she got away.

This is a typical case...something to learn from for all young women. If he seems "weird" it's because he probable is. Stay away. Let authorities know--quickly if this happens. Your getting someone with an obivious
"problem" attention and maybe saving yourself or your own sisters from him in the future.

I think the women are so shocked and confused when this happens that they just want to forget it.

Thank God she got away.

I think too many women are raised to be polite and not to hurt other people's feelings.

When I was newly divorced and raising two young daughters, I had a similar weird guy pursuing me. I met him at a public function. I told him flat out that I wasn't interested in him. He then obtained my phone number and proceeded to call me. The first time I told him not to call me, after that, I would hang up immediately every time he called (before caller ID was available). This would be once every couple of weeks, not like multiple times in a day. Then one day he showed up at my house and said, "There must be something wrong with your phone because we keep getting disconnected." I said must be the same thing that is wrong with my door before I slammed the door in his face.

My daughter was horrified and said, why were you so rude? I tried to explain to her that it is rude when someone doesn't accept your first refusal, and that he was the one who was rude by continuing to harass me.

Women are too often afraid of hurting someone's feelings and will often do things against their better judgment because they are trying to be nice. Like when Al Bundy would ask women to help them carry something to his car because of his "broken arm".

I think too many women are raised to be polite and not to hurt other people's feelings.

When I was newly divorced and raising two young daughters, I had a similar weird guy pursuing me. I met him at a public function. I told him flat out that I wasn't interested in him. He then obtained my phone number and proceeded to call me. The first time I told him not to call me, after that, I would hang up immediately every time he called (before caller ID was available). This would be once every couple of weeks, not like multiple times in a day. Then one day he showed up at my house and said, "There must be something wrong with your phone because we keep getting disconnected." I said must be the same thing that is wrong with my door before I slammed the door in his face.

My daughter was horrified and said, why were you so rude? I tried to explain to her that it is rude when someone doesn't accept your first refusal, and that he was the one who was rude by continuing to harass me.

Women are too often afraid of hurting someone's feelings and will often do things against their better judgment because they are trying to be nice. Like when Al Bundy would ask women to help them carry something to his car because of his "broken arm".

AMEN, Sister! That is one reason why women are often such easy victims--because they are more concerned about being perceived as a "b**ch" than their own safety.

BTW, your "Al Bundy" comment cracked me up. I think you mean "Ted Bundy," not the guy from 'Married with Children." Hee.

AMEN, Sister! That is one reason why women are often such easy victims--because they are more concerned about being perceived as a "b**ch" than their own safety.

BTW, your "Al Bundy" comment cracked me up. I think you mean "Ted Bundy," not the guy from 'Married with Children." Hee.

Gwenabob, thanks for the correction on Bundy, I caught it but could not remember (Ted) his first name. Cracked me up too. Easy mistake.

I think it comes down to perception and respect. Is this person stepping over the line of my boundaries? Making me uncomfortable? Is he really just teasing or being a smart A---look at their whole personality. Being a SA is confrontational attitude.

Thanks for catching my mistake. I would hate to suggest Al was like Ted.

BYU Student Arrested On Assault Charge
Printer Friendly Version

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 @02:58pm CDT

PROVO, Utah (AP) - A Brigham Young University student has been arrested on suspicion of using a stun gun on a woman and trying to handcuff her.

Stetson Hallam was booked Thursday night into the Utah County Jail on third-degree felony charges of aggravated assault and attempted kidnapping.

The 20-year-old BYU sophomore is accused of pinning the 19-year-old woman to the ground and trying to handcuff her after incapacitating her with a stun gun Tuesday at an apartment complex where both live.

Investigators say she bit down on his finger until he let her go and apologized, claiming it was all an April Fool's joke.

Police say he had pursued the woman romantically, but she had no interest in him. They also say he was the woman's home teacher in their Mormon church ward.

Information from: The Daily Herald

http://connect2utah.com/content/news/story/?cid=83331

Saturday, April 10, 2010
"When LDS Home Teachers Go Bad: BYU Student Stetson Hallam In Jail For Stunning And Cuffing 19-Year-Old Coed; It Was Just An April Fool's Joke
When men are called to become home teachers in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, they are encouraged to do more than fill a square. Church leaders encourage them to take a sincere interest in the families to which they're assigned, but to show respect for their time. More information on the LDS home teaching program is available on the LDS website and on MormonWiki. The separate Visiting Teaching program is run by the Relief Society and two sisters come each month to visit the women of a given home.

But one home teacher at Brigham Young University took his interest just a little too far. Stetson Hallam, a 20-year-old sophomore at BYU, was visiting an unidentified 19-year-old coed. It is unclear whether it was an official "home teaching" visit or a social visit. He had allegedly pursued the woman romantically, but she had no interest in him, considering him to be "creepy". In any event, Hallam allegedly pinned the woman to the ground and tried to handcuff her after incapacitating her with a stun gun on Tuesday April 6th at an apartment complex where both live. The victim reportedly bit down on Hallam's finger until he let her go and apologized, claiming it was all an April Fool's joke.

But the victim failed to find humor in the joke, and contacted police on April 8th. As a result, Hallam has now been persuaded to "accept a mission call" to preach the Gospel to the inmates of the Utah County Jail. He's been booked on third-degree felony charges of aggravated assault and attempted kidnapping and is being held on $5,000 bond. It is NOT an April Fool's joke.

What may really be concerning police is that, during Hallam's encounter with his victim, he repeatedly tried to get her to open a bin which was five feet long by two feet wide and three feet tall, with a lockable lid and handles. The victim finally opened the bin and found it empty. It was immediately afterward that Hallam produced the stun gun, so police are trying to find out if Hallam intended to stun her, put her into the bin, and kidnap her.

Carri Jenkins, spokeswoman for BYU, said she had little information about the incident Friday. However, she confirmed that Hallam is a sophomore at the university. She said the university's Honor Code Office will now begin its own review of the incident to determine what actions should be taken. If it is determined that a person is a danger to the community, he or she may be banned from campus, but Jenkins said she does not know what decision will be made in this case.

It is hoped that this character will quickly see reason and make his manners, so the charges can be busted down to a misdemeanor. He cannot be allowed to get off the hook altogether, since he actually assaulted this woman, but it would be a shame to have a felony conviction following him around his entire life."

http://mormonism-unveiled.blogspot.com/2010/04/when-lds-home-teachers-go-bad-byu.html

............................Why would it be a shame for him to have a felony conviction following him?

..........................Why would it be a shame for him to have a felony conviction following him?

I wonder the same thing. This was not a "joke" gone too far. This was stalking and assault and battery. I can say this for sure--if he gets off the hook, he WILL do it again. But next time, he'll not make the same mistakes. This guy is bad news. Wouldn't be surprised if other women, even from his high school years, come out and say he has a pattern of stalking/obsessing/harassing women he is enamored of.

I wonder if there is anything at all set in place so that when someone feels a home teacher is "creepy" and persuing you, that you can talk to someone so they are not assigned to you any longer? If there isn't there should be!!
I'm glad she fought back and hope he's not able to get charges lowered, IMO he's dangerous now and will continue to be, we don't need more victims.

VB

I wonder if there is anything at all set in place so that when someone feels a home teacher is "creepy" and persuing you, that you can talk to someone so they are not assigned to you any longer? If there isn't there should be!!
I'm glad she fought back and hope he's not able to get charges lowered, IMO he's dangerous now and will continue to be, we don't need more victims.

VB

I don't think being reassigned would prevent him from stalking her as he was.
I hope whether a felony or misdemeanor charge, they get his fingerprints, DNA and a psych evaluation.
Are home teachers always male and is it always one on one? I'd be thinking about this if I was the church.

I hope whether a felony or misdemeanor charge, they get his fingerprints, DNA and a psych evaluation.
Are home teachers always male and is it always one on one? I'd be thinking about this if I was the church.

Home teachers are always male, but it should never be one on one--especially for single women. There should always be another person present. She could always ask to have someone different, but I wouldn't be surprised if he asked to be her HT so he would have an excuse to call/visit her on "official" business.

Oh I agree, I don't think it would have stopped him from stalking her, but with him as the "hometeacher" she may have felt the pressure to continue to be polite.

VB

Why would a single man be assigned to a single woman as her HOME teacher? Or a man to a woman for that matter? To find this within the context of Mormonism really surprises me. Biblical wisdom in general would dissuade this, and I would think the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints would strictly prohibit it.

Did I read in one of the previous posts here that he has been reassigned? The box designed to her measurements, obviously intended for transport (and/or other atrocities) after waylaying her isn't a sufficient reason for severe disciplinary action and investigation by the Church? Where's the outrage—besides here at WS? :furious:

There is a scripture about Love covering a multitude of sins, NOT covering evil!

ETA: I see from recent posts that while I was writing this, others were thinking along the same lines.

What reason was given for a home teacher tazeing and handcuffing his student and "sister," all the while having a custom-fit box at hand, that would make someone utter the idiotic statement bemoaning the justifiably weighty chains of a potential felony conviction?

Agreed. This young woman has saved not only herself but potentially other Susan Powells from a very dangerous, sick individual.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back