WA - Teen Sues State For Sending Her To Live With Sex Offender

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
A Washington State teen is suing the county for sending her to live under her grandfather's roof. Grandpop was a convicted sex offender. A family court investigator didn't even heed the warning of the girl's father who told them his dad had been convicted of sodomizing a 10 year old girl. Dad lived with his parents.

Daily this poor kid was molested by her own grandfather.

I so hope she gets over a million dollars because the poor kid will need it for therapy. She was only six years old when the Family courts sentenced her to years of abuse at the hands of her grandfather.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/teen-sues-county-put-custody-sex-offender-grandfather/story?id=10323185

Oh grandmonster is now in jail for the crimes he commited against his own flesh and blood. Big da*n whoop.

There are no words. I cannot believe how angry I got reading this, that I now have to calm myself down. I hope she gets millions. And I hope she gets the therapy and love and support she so deserves. My heart aches for her.

the judge that put her in that position needs to be removed.

nevermind, it wasnt even a judge. huh? so now cps or whatever can just place the kid with a pedophile without a judge looking at the case? thats ridiculous. that state needs an overhaul in its system.

Well dad dropped the ball too. He allowed this to happen. When he was given the child he should have moved out. He was concerned enough to give warning and considered his child may be in danger but continued living with his father? Somethings not right here.

Yes, it terrible. Yes, the man should pay. Sadly, it is highly unlikely that there will ever be restitution. Until we fine tune our crime victims' advocacy, victims will get nothing. They will get a support person, hopefully, while they move through the motions of the trial. If they are lucky they will be awarded a certain number of hours of therapy by the county victims' witness program. But that about it. There's no inpatient care, no continuing therapy, no pharmaceutical care.

If there's a PTSD crisis down the road, an inability to work due to fear or anxiety, or a suicide attempt, the victim is on their own. One of our sons has attempted suicide somewhere between 15-20 times. He ends us life-flighted to Portland each time due to his chronic medical health issues and extreme fragility. Because he chooses to work, he does not qualify for state insurance. His insulin costs him $400-500 month. Every time he cuts himself or overdoses he's very good about getting himself to the hospital. His bills are somewhere over $75,000 now, and that's with huge discounts. He has to use the ER and the ICU as a therapy option. That makes no sense to me. He makes $9.50/hour as a chef's assistant but will never be able to pay these bills back. He didn't ask to be raped. It's really not fair at all.

He's working 40-50 hours week, staying clean and sober, and staying out of trouble. He pays his bills on time, walks everywhere as he's legally blind. I don't know what more people could ask of victims. They get cut off at the knees and there's so few options.

the judge that put her in that position needs to be removed.
Removed for what? For removing her from an unsafe environment she had with mom? What I am seeing is, dad was awarded custody for hygene reasons ETC. Ok, fine, obviously, something was not right with the mother. Dad did not have to continue living with the molester and I am really not sure why the state is being held responsible unless I am missing something. IMO the state didn't send her to live there, her father did. All they did was hand her over, living arrangememnt are the father problem, not the states.
ETA: I hated to disagree with you kbl, I have always agreed with everything you said! I almost feel bad

Removed for what? For removing her from an unsafe environment she had with mom? What I am seeing is, dad was awarded custody for hygene reasons ETC. Ok, fine, obviously, something was not right with the mother. Dad did not have to continue living with the molester and I am really not sure why the state is being held responsible unless I am missing something. IMO the state didn't send her to live there, her father did. All they did was hand her over, living arrangememnt are the father problem, not the states.
ETA: I hated to disagree with you kbl, I have always agreed with everything you said! I almost feel bad

It sounds like the state gave her to her dad, knowing that he lived with his father. He wasn't told they couldn't live with his pedo father only that this poor baby couldn't be alone with him. They PLACED her in that home, knowing she'd be living with a registered sex offender. How isn't it their fault ?
So mom was a slob. I'd rather live in a dirty home than with a dirty old man.

From the same article.

The father also claimed that his daughter suffered from "chronic head lice infestations" because of the "filthy home" the mother kept, according to the court documents.

The investigator found that while the teen's mother had provided the majority of the teen's care since she was born, she was doing so inadequately and awarded primary custody to the father.

Also included in the investigator's recommendation was that any contact between the child and the sex offender grandfather "be supervised by either the father or the paternal grandmother."

The teen's lawyer referred to that recommendation as "outrageous," and called the county's decision to place the child with Jones "egregious."

A Washington State teen is suing the county for sending her to live under her grandfather's roof. Grandpop was a convicted sex offender. A family court investigator didn't even heed the warning of the girl's father who told them his dad had been convicted of sodomizing a 10 year old girl. Dad lived with his parents.

Daily this poor kid was molested by her own grandfather.

I so hope she gets over a million dollars because the poor kid will need it for therapy. She was only six years old when the Family courts sentenced her to years of abuse at the hands of her grandfather.

Oh grandmonster is now in jail for the crimes he commited against his own flesh and blood. Big da*n whoop.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/teen-sues-county-put-custody-sex-offender-grandfather/story?id=10323185

According to this article, the dad asked for custody of his child;

In March 1999, the teen's father petitioned the court for custody of the then-6-year-old. According to the court documents, the father told authorities that he was worried that the teen's mother "neglects the child's supervision, nutrition and hygiene" and had a "history of drug use."

She was not in the custody of the State, she was in the custody of her own father, which he petitioned the court for.

Dad is responsible for not protecting his daughter. She should sue both the father, and the grandfather, for everything they own, now that she would win, but because the father petitioned the court for custody of her, instead of csd seeing a problem and removing her from her mother's home, and placing her in that horrible home, the responsibility lays with dad. jmo

This lawsuit has no merit imo.

However, it is possible that the teen's mother has a case against the State, for granting custody to a man who did not protect her daughter when they knew she would be in danger. This makes sense to me, even though it makes me sick.
moo

The girl's dad could have had separate living arrangements when he got custody then pawned his child off later. There should be some sort of follow ups in this type of case for several years. Anyone who would get involved with a woman who is filthy and can't take care of a kid is not too great themselves. Did the state really expect him to be able to live alone with no parental help, work, and provide childcare if the only woman he could get was a horrible filthy slob. The grandmother isn't worth much either if she'd stay married to a sex offender and allow a little girl around him. They should all be in jail and I hope the state can be sued to set an example that just because a kid is out of immediate danger doesn't mean that they're really safe.

According to this article, the dad asked for custody of his child;

In March 1999, the teen's father petitioned the court for custody of the then-6-year-old. According to the court documents, the father told authorities that he was worried that the teen's mother "neglects the child's supervision, nutrition and hygiene" and had a "history of drug use."

She was not in the custody of the State, she was in the custody of her own father, which he petitioned the court for.

Dad is responsible for not protecting his daughter. She should sue both the father, and the grandfather, for everything they own, now that she would win, but because the father petitioned the court for custody of her, instead of csd seeing a problem and removing her from her mother's home, and placing her in that horrible home, the responsibility lays with dad. jmo

This lawsuit has no merit imo.

However, it is possible that the teen's mother has a case against the State, for granting custody to a man who did not protect her daughter when they knew she would be in danger. This makes sense to me, even though it makes me sick.
moo

Before changing custody, wouldn't a home study have to be done ? That would include all family members that would be in contact with the child.
If they knew she would be living with him and placed her in that home, IMO they're responsible.
I guess it all depends on what they knew and what's documented.

i disagree with her being allowed to be put with a know child rapist, i dont care who's faulit it is.

It sounds like the state gave her to her dad, knowing that he lived with his father. He wasn't told they couldn't live with his pedo father only that this poor baby couldn't be alone with him. They PLACED her in that home, knowing she'd be living with a registered sex offender. How isn't it their fault ?
So mom was a slob. I'd rather live in a dirty home than with a dirty old man.

From the same article.

The father also claimed that his daughter suffered from "chronic head lice infestations" because of the "filthy home" the mother kept, according to the court documents.

The investigator found that while the teen's mother had provided the majority of the teen's care since she was born, she was doing so inadequately and awarded primary custody to the father.

Also included in the investigator's recommendation was that any contact between the child and the sex offender grandfather "be supervised by either the father or the paternal grandmother."

The teen's lawyer referred to that recommendation as "outrageous," and called the county's decision to place the child with Jones "egregious."

They Placed her with her loving, concerned dad, how is that Not the dad's fault?

Imo, the reason it isn't the State's fault is b/c the father was stating clearly that he cared about his daughter's well being, and he wanted custody of her for the purpose of protecting her. So it stands to reason that he would also protect her from his father.

What was the State to do? Keep her in a lice infested home with a drug addict mom, or place her in the custody of a dad who appears to have concern for his daughter's well being, which turned out to be a lie.
Dad should go to jail too.
Was the mom really a drug addict?
Was the mom really filthy?
Apparently he proved his case to State that the mom was what he said she was, correct? Or are the courts just granting kids to dads b/c they can?

Did dad have a job, was he able to provide for his daughter when he petitioned the court for custody? Was the court under the impression that dad and daughter would not be in that home for very long, not knowing that she would still be there ten years later?

Dad brought the petition before the courts, and apparently proved his case against the mom, and convinced the courts that he would provide a safe place for his child. The fault lies with the dad.

It is possible that what he really wanted was to not be responsible for child support payments, and to collect it from her mom rather than pay it to her. This is another reason the mom should sue.

That child was sure dealt a lousy family that's for sure jmo, oc.

Just wondering where the maternal grandparents are, and where is the teen living now?

How old is the teen now? Is she 18 yet? If not, is the dad behind the lawsuit?
If she wins, won't he become responsible for the money since as far as we know he still has custody of her.
yuk

here's what they should have done. placed her in foster care and look for a family that would love and adopt her. cause neither of these options seem logical. :(

the father told authorities that he was worried that the teen's mother "neglects the child's supervision, nutrition and hygiene" and had a "history of drug use."

Wow.
She didn't have to worry about being unsupervised with dad, Gramps never left her alone.
Mom also allegedly neglected her hygiene also. I doubt I'd ever feel clean if I was forced to do dirty, vile things with that nasty old man.
Nutrition - My kids had Pizza Hut tonight and McD's last night (since my husband took my car to work, with my chopper card on the key ring and I didn't go to the store).
This was nutritional negligence on my part (Shhh). My son had a friend sleep over and I'm probably going to take them to Krispy Kreme in the morning and pick up some choco milk at Quick Trip so I'm also neglecting the nutrition of my neighbor's kid.
I just don't get it. I don't think kids should be taken from loving parents because of messy houses.

I know my thinking is way different than most on here, but I get tired of how upset people get at a report that says CPS found the children in a messy house or with little food in the fridge, etc.
For this to upset me, I'd have to hear that the children were malnourished and that the house was 'dangerous'.
I don't know that there's not a good reason that the house was a mess or that there's no food in the fridge.
Maybe the parents had to work overtime that week and didn't have time to clean or go to the store, and the kids ate at Grandma's every night.

Before changing custody, wouldn't a home study have to be done ? That would include all family members that would be in contact with the child.
If they knew she would be living with him and placed her in that home, IMO they're responsible.
I guess it all depends on what they knew and what's documented.

I think it would depend on how the court received the information.
If csd was involved, then yes the State is responsible, but if it was a custody hearing between the parents, the mom had right to set forth her conerns, and she could have had witnesses to the family in question. Then the court would determine which parent was better capable of caring for the child, right?

Since the court knew that the dad lived with the RSO, any one of us would say take her from both of them, which I think the court has the right to do, but if the dad's was living with his parents for whatever reason, and told the court that if he was awarded custody, he would move, then the court may not have had any reason to not believe him, and for the short time she was to be in the grandfather's home, he would be supervised. I honestly don't think the court was under the impression that the girl would grow up in that house, and that the father showed genuine concern for his daughter's well being. That is the only way, imo, they could rationally have given him custody, and not removed her from both parents. The dad was not the RSO, and it was him who was granted custody. If the mom showed no reason why the dad shouldn't be granted custody, then why wouldn't the court believe him?

And just try to regain custody after losing it. The only thing the mom would have been able to do is call csd again and again, and take her to the doctor in an attempt to prove what was happening to her, or run.
But if the mom really was/is a drug addict, then perhaps she wasn't involved in her life. If that's the case, then I ask again, where was her maternal grandparents, or other family members, and is it her dad who is really behind this lawsuit. Is his dad in jail since the court ordered her to not be left alone with grandpa? Is grandma in jail too? They both failed to protect her, as was ordered by the court.

Poor kid. I wish I had more information, like why didn't csd ever get involved? Didn't the school ever suspect anything? How did the grandpa finally get caught? Was there no one for her to turn to when she was young? DAD SHOULD BE IN JAIL TOO!! moo

here's what they should have done. placed her in foster care and look for a family that would love and adopt her. cause neither of these options seem logical. :(

Except, we don't know that the allegations against the mother were true.
My daughter and my niece kept getting head lice when we lived with my mother (whose house always had to be spotless) and it turned out that a neighbor who visited my mom and who always hugged the girls every time she saw them had them.
When we lived in Kansas, she would get them at least once a year when school started.
I'm happy to say that since we moved back to Missouri 4 years ago, there have been no outbreaks.
Talking about this makes my head itch.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that the fact that this kid had head lice doesn't mean that her mother was dirty and could have just been used by the dad to get custody.

well either way there's no logical reason she should have been put with a rso, or that it was allowed by this worker.

10 year nightmare......how much damage was done? i cant imagine. and worse, she probably feels betrayed by everyone in her family.........

I think it would depend on how the court received the information.
If csd was involved, then yes the State is responsible, but if it was a custody hearing between the parents, the mom had right to set forth her conerns, and she could have had witnesses to the family in question. Then the court would determine which parent was better capable of caring for the child, right?

Since the court knew that the dad lived with the RSO, any one of us would say take her from both of them, which I think the court has the right to do, but if the dad's was living with his parents for whatever reason, and told the court that if he was awarded custody, he would move, then the court may not have had any reason to not believe him, and for the short time she was to be in the grandfather's home, he would be supervised. I honestly don't think the court was under the impression that the girl would grow up in that house, and that the father showed genuine concern for his daughter's well being. That is the only way, imo, they could rationally have given him custody, and not removed her from both parents. The dad was not the RSO, and it was him who was granted custody. If the mom showed no reason why the dad shouldn't be granted custody, then why wouldn't the court believe him?

And just try to regain custody after losing it. The only thing the mom would have been able to do is call csd again and again, and take her to the doctor in an attempt to prove what was happening to her, or run.
But if the mom really was/is a drug addict, then perhaps she wasn't involved in her life. If that's the case, then I ask again, where was her maternal grandparents, or other family members, and is it her dad who is really behind this lawsuit. Is his dad in jail since the court ordered her to not be left alone with grandpa? Is grandma in jail too? They both failed to protect her, as was ordered by the court.

Poor kid. I wish I had more information, like why didn't csd ever get involved? Didn't the school ever suspect anything? How did the grandpa finally get caught? Was there no one for her to turn to when she was young? DAD SHOULD BE IN JAIL TOO!! moo

Maybe the dad could afford a better attorney.
They shouldn't have given dad custody if he was living with a RSO.
She shouldn't have had to live with a RSO for even a day, so even if he promised to move, the state is still responsible for placing her where she was at risk of being molested.
I do agree that they should lock up the dad and grandma. I think any state workers and/or judges who put her at risk should be in jail too.
Of course that won't happen. When a state worker puts a child at risk, it's a civil matter that the taxpayers (and the children) pay for.
IMO, it was totally irrational to send a little girl to live with a man who had already molested a little girl.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back