The book "Do away with August"

chckmate22

Verified 911 Dispatcher
Reaction score
I am hoping that one of the many WS out there can find out about the book "Do away with August". I have searched and searched with no luck. I am curious to see what this book is about and does it have any relevance to this case in any way, shape or form. TIA

I am hoping that one of the many WS out there can find out about the book "Do away with August". I have searched and searched with no luck. I am curious to see what this book is about and does it have any relevance to this case in any way, shape or form. TIA

I don't think it does - I searched on this the other day, sorry, I don't have any links offhand and I am about to call it a night. It is a book of essays by a man who was a columnist for a paper in TN. He is deceased and there is a public library named for him. I found one of his essays from the book and it was good, about an older woman who wrote children's stories.

even google books has no preview or anything, it looks like old boring junk.

http://books.google.com/books?id=xG...gust&lr=&ei=JRHDS6r3G4mqNp66ic0P&rview=1&cd=1

I really do think being is prison is horrible. I know many think it is too kind for certain crimes but I cant think of much worse. maybe they used this book cause it was old and dusty and unused but ick, what if the whole prison collection is junk like this, I think I would go mad.

I would guess, from KC's viewpoint anyhow, that a book called Do Away With August could only mean about ONE thing...that was the month "that child" was born who has brought me to this place and I wish that month did not even exist! I mean, geez louise! Why would she even reference a book of that title, knowing her own daughter was born in that same month. It is almost as tasteless or maybe even moreso than the rotting monkeys "joke" she received...:banghead:

I agree, I think this is Casey's "clever" (in her mind) way of having a private joke that validates her superiority above everyone else. Kind of like the "Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzales" connection with the remains being found near two homes owned by a combination of those names. It doesn't surprise me in the least that she chose that book. It's definitely her pattern.

On another note, I was reading Marinade Dave's Blog (awesome) and wound up on Discovery Channels website where there is MIND-BLOWING detailed timeline by Day here:

http://investigation.discovery.com/...sey_anthony_full_coverage/caylee_anthony.html

I found an interesting article by a Serial Killer Profler who said (back in 2008) that Casy may "turn to religion"... how accurate THAT was! I can't find the same article now (read it last night) but it's somewhere on that site.

:waitasec:

i agree w/ apex-moms quote...I think this is Casey's "clever" (in her mind) way of having a private joke that validates her superiority above everyone else. Kind of like the "Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzales" connection with the remains being found near two homes owned by a combination of those names. It doesn't surprise me in the least that she chose that book. It's definitely her pattern.

this could be like the "big trouble comes in small packages" shirt caylee was found in..something for KC's sick amusement..

I found an interesting article by a Serial Killer Profler who said (back in 2008) that Casy may "turn to religion"... how accurate THAT was! I can't find the same article now (read it last night) but it's somewhere on that site.

I think this is the link you're looking for.

Criminal Profiler Says Casey Anthony is "Punishing Everyone"

http://blogs.discovery.com/criminal_report/2008/09/profiler-says-c.html

"Look for her to turn to religion and either attempt to or speak of fleeing. When she gets to that point, she is most likely to talk about what really happened."

This is an interesting thought, but it's pretty clear IMO that KC has not actually "turned to religion" so much as she's just personality mirroring RA so as to ingratiate herself. But would the proposed RV or Costa Rica trips count as "speaking of fleeing"?

is it do away or let's do away?

is it do away or let's do away?

according to my googling @ both google.com and google.co.uk, the only book with a title containing "do away with august" is the one with let's.

(yes I have to use both, the results are frequently different :biglaugh: )

according to my googling @ both google.com and google.co.uk, the only book with a title containing "do away with august" is the one with let's.

(yes I have to use both, the results are frequently different :biglaugh: )

Title Let's do away with August: a collection of the best of nearly twenty years' Down to Earth columns
Author Elmer Hinton
Publisher Impact Books, 1970
Length 175 pages

http://books.google.com/books?id=xGu3GQAACAAJ&dq=do+away+with+august&lr=&ei=JRHDS6r3G4mqNp66ic0P&rview=1&cd=1

ELMER HINTON
1905-1979

http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/imagegallery.php?EntryID=H054

On 6pm WFTV news they were talking about the book and showed a pic of it. I will post a link when I see one.

MojoRisin- Yep! Thats the story....thanks for posting the link.

I agree that she's mirroring Robyn with all the religious talk and Yes I agree that she's talking about fleeing too... wow that profiler is GOOD!

Poor Casey, she thinks she's so smart and such a 'celebrity'... little does she know the jokes on her and she'll (hopefully) never see the light of day again, much less Costa Rica.

Oh! Random thought . . . the book I put this note in is actually pretty good. It’s filled with old Southern humor. I honestly laughed throughout most of it.

So that fit's with "Lets do away with August"

Adding a few of her other references re: books and letters

Hey! I did get the note you left the other day. I didn't get your first one, I don't think :-( Hopefully you got the one I left yesterday. I think it may be a good idea to use a new book.

...And when Shannon is here, we might as well play it safe and give her the book(s).

Well, since the book went missing, I'll try and write you what I already had. We may have to rely on Shannon and every couple of days. Whatever works. I'm going for now.

Lots of inmates turn to religon. That is almost like saying the sky is going to be blue tomorrow. I'm not finding that to be an epiphany of any kind. It's totally in the profile of someone incarcarated. I do find the title of the book to be interesting, it's the first thing I though of upon learning of the title!

Lots of inmates turn to religon. That is almost like saying the sky is going to be blue tomorrow. I'm not finding that to be an epiphany of any kind. It's totally in the profile of someone incarcarated. I do find the title of the book to be interesting, it's the first thing I though of upon learning of the title!
Totally agree...almost everyone I ever knew who spent any substantial amount of time in jail, like more than a couple of months, went straight down the religion/God trail. It is one of the only things an inmate can cling to, an invisible hope that there is a God and that He WILL save them. It's not too much of a stretch for anyone to have made such a prophecy.

I don't, however, think that KC's religious kick goes further than skin deep. I think she has 2 uses for God.
1.) To impress/bond with her friend which had so obviously chosen to cling to religion
2.) To require God to do for her all of the things she finds promised there...to deliver her, to free her, to forgive her, etc and so on...

She has missed MOST of the body of the Bible where it also says a great deal about reaping what you plant and paying for what you do...and it also says in that same book, which she is trying to use like a book of magic tricks to hoodoo her way out of jail, that God will grant you the desires of your heart...but FIRST you have to TRULYdelight in Him...and I seriously doubt that KC gets that. It is almost like she is requiring God to fulfill promises that she did not fulfill the actions to receive said promises...:waitasec: She is even trying to scam God...as crazy a thing as THAT is...That is narcassistic in the extreme...these demands she is making of God to be true to his word...never mind she was NEVER true to ONE of HIS commandments...

Sorry chick...it doesn't work that way.

Totally agree...almost everyone I ever knew who spent any substantial amount of time in jail, like more than a couple of months, went straight down the religion/God trail. It is one of the only things an inmate can cling to, an invisible hope that there is a God and that He WILL save them. It's not too much of a stretch for anyone to have made such a prophecy.

I don't, however, think that KC's religious kick goes further than skin deep. I think she has 2 uses for God.
1.) To impress/bond with her friend which had so obviously chosen to cling to religion
2.) To require God to do for her all of the things she finds promised there...to deliver her, to free her, to forgive her, etc and so on...

She has missed MOST of the body of the Bible where it also says a great deal about reaping what you plant and paying for what you do...and it also says in that same book, which she is trying to use like a book of magic tricks to hoodoo her way out of jail, that God will grant you the desires of your heart...but FIRST you have to TRULYdelight in Him...and I seriously doubt that KC gets that. It is almost like she is requiring God to fulfill promises that she did not fulfill the actions to receive said promises...:waitasec: She is even trying to scam God...as crazy a thing as THAT is...That is narcassistic in the extreme...these demands she is making of God to be true to his word...never mind she was NEVER true to ONE of HIS commandments...

Sorry chick...it doesn't work that way.

ITA. She also forgets that God helps those who help themselves! And you're right, there's that tricky commandant called Thou shalt not kill...I'm thinking if God is ever going to help her, she has to admit to that first or have not done it in the first place. I love your comment about her scamming God...funny, I think God has noticed that. There have been several things about this case that I am convinced have happened through divine intervention. Casey, you don't scam God. That didn't work for Satan and it sure as heck is not working for you.

Getting back to the book, shivers ran down my spine when I first heard that title. Geez, Casey, could you be more obvious? She might as well have picked a book entitled: "Snotheads: How to Deal with Unwanted Toddlers".

I think someone posted mention to that old joke...if you are looking for God, go to prison. Everyone there knows where he is.

Skin deep, Casey, skin deep. Any and all thoughts and beliefs (if you can call them that) she has are skin deep.

Hi All
I have been away for 2 weeks and trying to read the letters and the threads...
but I wanted to chime in quickly.

http://www..com/2010/04/casey-anthony’s-pen-pal-tried-to-sell-jail-letters/comment-page-2/

"The book, “Let’s Do Away With August,” that Casey used to trade notes could have represented a nod to Caylee’s birthday.
The book itself is a collection of columns written by Nashville Tennessean journalist Elmer Hinton, whose weekly “Down To Earth” country narratives entertained readers for nearly 30 years. Hinton complained August was nature at her worst, doling out heat and stinging insects."

(I haven't read all the letters yet)
Does anyone here know Who chose to place the letters in this particular book or was it just a random choosing?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back