John Gardner Pleads Guilty to Murders of Amber Dubois and Chelsea King

Wow. Makes me think he was the one that gave up Amber's location. I think they have been working on this plea deal for a while. I am sure he was the only person that knew where Amber was. I am just surprised because everyone said he would never take responsibility for his actions. I am glad he spared the state the expense and the family the ordeal of trials.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/

As a result, Gardner, a 31-year-old convicted sex offender, will avoid facing the death penalty, and instead be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Oh happy day, Oh happy day
Oh happy day
Oh happy day

When Jesus washed
Oh when he washed
He washed my sins awayHe tought me how
to watch, fight and pray
fight and pray
When Jesus washed
Oh when he washed
He washed my sins awayWe´ll live rejoicing
ev´ry day, ev´ry day
When Jesus washed
Oh when he washed
He washed my sins away

Finally - justice for Amber and Chelsea -- sing along with me....Oh happy day :) May they forever rest in peace, free from the sins of this ugly world.

Thank God for justice for dear, sweet Amber. Now she can truly rest in peace. I am SO relieved that Amber's parents won't have to go through a prolonged trial. And Gardner can never ever harm another child. JUSTICE FOR AMBER!!!! :)

I said all along that he gave up the location and there was a plea in the works - with the blessing from the families to put this behind them minus the DP. So many people here were saying those of us with this theory were full of XXXX.

May these two beautiful girls rest in peace.

I'm happy to think that he will spend many long years, the rest of his sorry life, knowing that he will never be free again.

This is really very good news. It saves the family the grief of a long trial - DP trials/appeals/etc can go on for decades. I wish more of the SOBs we see on here would just plead guilty and get it over with (if, of course, they are in fact guilty).

Apparently he strangled Chelsea. I hope he is tossed in with the general population. I am bitterly angry at his mother still---and please don't attack me for saying that--it's just how I feel.

wow. didnt see this coming.

glad he's going away, but i wish he'd plead to death. and yes, that has happened rarely.

justice for amber and chelsea ;)

now if only the garridos would follow suit...

Search warrant documents posted online by Los Angeles radio station KFI640AM show investigators removed a number of items from John Gardner’s home on March 9, 2010 including shovels, pick axes, digging tools and articles of clothing -- just two days after police found the body of missing teen Amber Dubois.

Source: He Killed Both of Them | NBC San Diego knsd.com

Gardner will be sentenced June 1 at 1.30 p.m.

Source: He Killed Both of Them | NBC San Diego

Gardner will be sentenced June 1 at 1.30 p.m.

Source: He Killed Both of Them | NBC San Diego

According to the DA:

On March 5th JAG led authorities to the body of Amber. The only condition was it couldn't be used against him in court. Crime scene evidence could be used against him.

There was not enough to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, apart from JAG's cooperation, to pursue charges of murder against him in Amber's case.

NO agreements like that were made in Chelsea's case.

I'm typing up the presser from video by the DA and the families and will put it here and in Chelsea's thread as soon as it's over.

Presser with Bonnie Dumanis (DA) and authorities and the families:

Soul of the community has been shaken and wrapped their arms and hearts around the families and will continue to do so.

The families now are having to face the reality of what JAG plead guilty to today. He will be sentenced on June 1st and has waived rights to appeal.

She thanks the Sheriffs who handled Chelsea's case and finding her so persistently, and then EPD in Amber's case. LE has been working non-stop and we have them to thank for the quick resolution to this (Chelsea's) case. She also thanks the Deputy DA who was working this case.

March 3rd 1 count of murder w/ special circumstances was filed making him eligible for the DP, and the count against him for in the case against the jogger. At that point, they didn't have concrete evidence linking him to any other crime.

On March 5th JAG led authorities to the body of Amber. The one condition was they couldn't use that against him in court. But they could use crime scene information against him. There was not enough to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, apart from JAG's cooperation, to pursue charges of murder against him in Amber's case.

No agreements were made like that in Chelsea's case.

He submitted a signed change of plea form in Chelsea and the jogger's case, and also Amber. A factual basis for the plea is needed and was offered. By accepting a guilty plea, they got a charger for murder against Amber that they would not have gotten otherwise.

It was a hard decision since they had the evidence and solid case in Chelsea's case and with death penalty, but given the death sentence in CA being a "hollow sentence" in CA right now, and what it would mean for the King family, and knowing that this agreement would mean guilty in Amber's case, as well, they felt this was the best thing for everyone involved (family wise).

The agreement of guilty without the possibility of parole means he will die in court. No further comment will be able to be made until after the sentencing on June 1st. The families will be able to give their victim impact statement then.

Nothing can replace their children, but today is another step in the journey. It only closes the legal chapter, though.

Each family will make a brief statement.

Mo Dubois:

Thanks everyone for being here, thanks the DA's office for their diligence, and the LE who put so much time into the investigations. This turn of events was a surprise when they learned of it yesterday (Thursday). He is thankful for a resolution and getting justice and closure in Amber's case. He thanks the community of SD for their support for both families, and asks for privacy and time to grieve and thanks for their understanding.

Brent King:

We stand here because of a despicable and evil act commited against our beautiful daughter Chelsea, our family, and our community. The community whether to give our blessing to the proposal was torturous. First choice was the DP, but in CA, that has become an empty promise.

For that reason, and the following, they support life without parole and appeal. 1) A multi year court preceding will have a destructive impact on our son; 2) Our community can heal and have closure sooner; 3) We couldn't imagine having a confession of Amber's murder and that not seeing the light of day if we didn't agree; 4) Without needing to be devoted to a trial, they can raise their son and work on bringing change in California.

There is nothing satisfying about this moment, it's just another unbearable moment in this process.

DA Bonnie Dumanis couldn't take questions because of the gag order, and they asked again for privacy for the families.

Wow! I posted a link to an article this am saying there was a court appearance, but I never saw this coming.

I'm happy this is over with for now. At least the families can put this ordeal, his possible trial, behind them once he's sentenced. I would imagine they're going to give victim impact statements, which will be highly emotional.

I'm so glad they've finally solved Amber's case.

JMHO
fran

Makes sense to me that he brought them to Amber and I am glad this guy pled guilty. 2 life sentences works for me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back