2010.04.16 - Annette Sykes(Great Grandmother) believes Haleigh is alive.

WillenFan21

Reaction score

Great-grandmother says Haleigh is alive until proven otherwise

Saturday, April 17, 2010 2:00 AM EDT
<snipped>
"They've got to show me a body or something that definitely proves that she is dead or otherwise she'll be alive," Annette Sykes said. "I'm not going to believe that she's dead. They've got to prove it." No trace of her has been found.

Sykes said the family was informed of the change in the case's status on Tuesday when they were summoned to the Putnam County Sheriff's Office. "That was what they called us in the office to tell us," she said. "They wanted to let us know before they said anything publicly."

Sykes added the family is doing "as well as we can." "They can say that it's a homicide all they want to, but they've got to prove it to us," she said.

When asked if she thought if Joe Overstreet - a cousin of Misty Croslin that was questioned by local and state investigators this week - had anything to do with Haleigh's disappearance, she replied that she didn't know.

"You've heard all the lies that that family tells, how many stories have they already told, so who knows," Sykes said.

Article:
http://www.palatkadailynews.com/arti...ews/news01.txt

I'm not surprised she feels this way.

I think we've seen quite a few family members of the missing express this same sentiment.

I try not to personalize these missing persons cases because I have not had a child or family member go missing or murdered. However, if I were in this situation and it was about my own child or loved one. I know myself well enough to say that I would have to be given evidence that I could not deny. They pain of a loved one being murdered like that would be too much for me to accept without cold hard proof.

JMHO.

Sykes added the family is doing "as well as we can." "They can say that it's a homicide all they want to, but they've got to prove it to us," she said.

BBM..I find that statement very telling considering she claims she doesn't know what happened to Haleigh...JMO

I'm pretty sure that's what I would want to think. Such a terrible tragedy for all involved in any way.

BBM..I find that statement very telling considering she claims she doesn't know what happened to Haleigh...JMO

Sounds like she's defending someone from murder charges. Hmmm......

I'm sorry but I'm not understanding what you mean. The way I'm reading her statement, she seems to want proof that Haleigh's dead before she'll believe it. That seems kind of normal, imo, especially since she has said she doesn't kow what happened. Again, I'm sorry if I've missed something! :waitasec: MOO

If feeling that way helps her deal with this horrible tragedy, then let her believe. For the innocent victims like her, as far as I am concerned they need to do what they need to do. God help them.

Prove it is an odd reaction, imo.

Well... at least the porch light is on, unlike the one in the attic. (again jmo)

So do I, Em. To me it sounds like LE told them it was a homocide, and Ron is a suspect. That took GMS from "Cover Your Azz" mode-"That's a Crock".......
to "Prove It" mode-"They've got to prove it to us".

jmo though

Just my own thoughts here - but (God forbid) if I found myself in this situation, I would also need them to 'prove it' to me before I ever stopped looking, fighting, or doing whatever I could do to find my child. I mean...LE could say, "We believe it's a homicide and that there's no reason to keep looking," but in the back of my mind, there would always be the chance that my child was alive and waiting for me to find them.

So terribly, terribly sad.

I want proof too... seems to go without saying...

I just expect they must have a solid confession, a full report with solid evidence to support it, or DNA evidence.

Anything less would be very irresponsible, considering this cast of characters.

I'm sorry but I'm not understanding what you mean. The way I'm reading her statement, she seems to want proof that Haleigh's dead before she'll believe it. That seems kind of normal, imo, especially since she has said she doesn't kow what happened. Again, I'm sorry if I've missed something! :waitasec: MOO

I can understand any parent, grandparent holding on to hope their loved one is still alive and making the statement they want proof their loved one is not alive, however for her to state.. They can say it's a homicide all they want to, but they've gotta prove it to us.
tells me she knows something and also knows it is going to be extremely difficult for LE to prove it was a homicide..JMO

JMO

Personally I don't read too much into that. The woman doesn't want to believe her great-granddaughter is dead, and she's saying she won't believe it until you can prove it to her. Perfectly understandable.

GGM is beginning to sound just like Cindy and you all know how that turned out.

Sounds to me like she's in denial or at the very least doesn't want to admit to the fact that her great grandchild is no longer with us. Proof would be the only thing to get me to believe it. I don't blame her at all. My heart goes out to her and everyone who lost Haleigh.

I have to agree that I would need some proof as well. If they had a confession, then why isn't there an arrest? I don't think I could have a funeral with no solid proof. I can't really blame GGS.

It's her use of the word homicide as opposed to deceased or dead.........to me it implies she knows she's dead, but they have to prove murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back