OH - Starved Boys thriving in home of Aunt who found them, 2010

mimimama5

One Crazy mama cowgirl
Reaction score
Auntie found 2 little babies in horrible condition and did what was right!

"She took the boys, aged 2 and 3, by the hand. But they could barely put one foot in front of the other. Brown scooped them up, carried them to the backseat of her 1990 Park Avenue and drove to Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital. She dialed the 696-KIDS child-abuse hotline along the way."
Way to go!!! We read so many storied where relatives sit by and do nothing to help these little children. This woman was a true miracle for these precious little ones.

Many many more details and video at the link,
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/04/post_265.html

This story just warms my old heart.
God Bless you Auntie and those precious children.

jmho

Some people spend their time on this planet setting the highest example for the rest of us, and it sounds like auntie Dasheba Brown is one of them.

It can't be financially easy to take on four little children all of a sudden. I wonder if there is a trust set up anywhere for the care of these kids that could accept donations?

Edited to add: in addition to her own three kids too, it seems! How many gallons of milk a week is that? :eek:

In Ohio, Auntie Dasheba will be eligible for federal adoption assistance funds for the boys through age 21. They will also receive a full medical card and respite care. If she chooses to keep them under a permanent foster care status or kinship care, she'll still be eligible for the funding.

Doing the right thing is altruism and compassion. The federal government figured out thirty years ago, however, that altruism can wear thin, when the grocery bills and mortgage can't be paid. The law states that no special needs child who is adopted shall negatively impact the adoptive family. I'll see if I can get in tough with Ohio NACAC rep but I'm sure that the publicity has already brought her case to the attention of the appropriate advocates.

Bless her. This is what the program was intended for--the allow people to follow their heart without worrying about their pocketbook. She's going to have her hands full enough!!

To answer the question on the milk, when we had our highest number of children at home--11--our monthly grocery bills were between $1200-1800 not including milk. We bought 2 gallons a day for years. This would have been in the mid-90s to just a few years ago. Just the purchasing of the groceries was an all day affair.

Nothing excites me more, these days, than seeing a quart of milk. It looks like something exotic!! We did have quite a ride though. It was NEVER boring. And our dinner table was never a dull place!! Life at the Brown house will never be the same.

Wow. Bless this lady. The world could use a thousand more of her. This story literally brought a tear to my eye. Thanks for posting!

I needed a story like this so much. It is such a wonderful feeling to see how their Aunt jumped in and rescued them. I'm so thankful that they were saved and are having a good life now. What a wonderful, wonderful woman. The world definitely needs more like her.

This was just what I needed. Proof that there are still good people in the world.

I hope this woman (and the kids) receive every possible earthly blessing and many more after that.

I'm so grateful for this one. now I need another 5 of these for every post of the other kind :(

I thought about posting this in news that makes you smile, beacuse it sure did, but I thought I would post here, so the loyal readers of this thread would breathe a sigh of relief. I was happy to have found this one, and I do hope this Aunt gets all the help she will need with her large flock. MissIz, I don't know how you managed 11 children at one time, I'd say bless you, but its clear youve been blessed! "It takes a village to raise a child"

The bio parents should have to repay the county for the boys support and NEVER have the children returned. The bio mother should be forced to use birth control.

I want to hug her so badly!!!

She also took in Scovil's two other children, 5 and 7, after the Cuyahoga County Department of Children and Family Services took custody last month. \\In six weeks since they were found, the boys have put on close to 10 pounds. They eat like grown men, Brown says, gobbling down full plates of chicken and pasta and waffles and eggs, and asking for more.

Brown said she hopes to adopt the four kids. "These kids aren't going nowhere. They'll have to put me in my grave to take these kids away," says Brown, who has two children and a stepson of her own.

The younger boys had been in foster care most of their lives. Scovil lost custody of all four kids in 2007 for scalding the 3-year-old and breaking his arm when he was seven months old. She had also been accused of not feeding him.

The agency in November had received two hot line tips about feeding issues involving Scovil's children. Forkas said recently that caseworkers intervened, but that the boys were not malnourished. The agency ended its supervision Feb. 1.

Relatives said when they visited Scovil's home in the months before the malnourished boys were found, the boys were never there. Scovil would tell visitors they were with their father. Forkas confirmed the account.

Forkas has also said it's believed that Scovil was keeping at least one of the younger boys in the basement. Brown believes she only found them March 6 because maintenance workers were in the house and Scovil brought the boys upstairs.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/04/post_265.html

As for what I'd like to do with the "mother" and her boyfriend... I don't want to get a time out, so I won't say.

ITA, but sadly that's not going to happen. When you look at our special needs adopted children, most were born to mothers who were prostituting to earn drug money. In several cases the mothers had 5-9 children. Many of our children's siblings are scattered and have never met one another. Sadly, several died of severe health problems. There were also a large number of abortions and miscarriages for each mom.

How I wish B/C could be court ordered (it is occasionally) but it is a slippery slope. If we allow B/C for drug using or neglectful mothers, what is to prevent it from being ordered for those who are older parents or who have a health issue due to the possibility of birth defects? I still love the idea of allowing free access to moms who are open to the idea of B/C or sterilization. As it stands, that's not the case. People are never going to stop having sex and B/C and/or sterilization costs money.

And to set the record straight, we have 14 children. Eleven is just the largest number we ever had living at home at one time. I carry the badge of courage of having lived (barely) through years of 9 teens under one roof. All that and I can still type.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Contrary to what its director said Friday, the Cuyahoga County Children and Family Services knew about a judge's order barring Phineas Scovil from having contact with one of her sons, records show.

Scovil, 25, of Cleveland, is jailed on charges accusing her of starving two of her children. County workers reunited her with the children last summer despite a judge's order that she have no unsupervised visits.

much more at link

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/03/county_agency_knew_about_order.html

Oh, what a hero! Thank you, auntie, for putting those two babies first!

Mrs. Brown said

"It's your job as a parent to take care of your babies," she said. "If you can't take care of your kids, why not let someone else love them like they're supposed to be loved."

Amen

How I wish B/C could be court ordered (it is occasionally) but it is a slippery slope. If we allow B/C for drug using or neglectful mothers, what is to prevent it from being ordered for those who are older parents or who have a health issue due to the possibility of birth defects? I still love the idea of allowing free access to moms who are open to the idea of B/C or sterilization. As it stands, that's not the case. People are never going to stop having sex and B/C and/or sterilization costs money.

I agree with you on court-ordered birth control.

However, thanks to Title 10 clinics, birth control is available for free, or reduced cost, for low-income folks. I am majorly under-employed these days, and have no health insurance, and *wow* am I grateful that I can stay on birth control right now, thanks to my local Planned Parenthood clinic!

To be a bit more on-topic on this thread--way to go, Auntie. It must have been difficult to confront your own sibling like that! Makes me glad (yet again) that my sis is such a good mom!

What really makes me angry is that when a relative calls social services to report a problem nothing is done. I have called them myself because I was concerned about my grandson. His mother has a live-in boyfriend that didn't work, used and sold drugs and was mean to the kids. Social services told me that the kids had to have a bruise and say it was caused by the boyfriend before they would do anything. The school has had social services come and talk to my grandson and his half-brother... yet social services has deemed nothing wrong. My son never married the mother and he has been told he has NO RIGHTS. How ridiculous is that? He must pay child support or face jail time yet they tell him he has no rights where the child is concerned. I hate social services! The system should be gutted and re-built from the ground up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back