IL IL - Chicago, WhtMale UP6966, 38-55, on Lake Michigan breakwall, Apr'10

mtrooper

Verified SAR
Reaction score
A LAke Michigan boater observed a body lodged within the rocks of the west side of the outer breakwall, at the southern half of Monroe Harbor at approximately 801 S. Lake Shore Drive.

WARNING- GRAPHIC PHOTOS AT NAMUS LINK - since removed (photo released at link is unrecognizable)

Estimated age Adult - Pre 60
Minimum age 38 years
Maximum age 55 years
Race White
Ethnicity Other
Sex Male
Weight (pounds) 180, Measured
Height (inches) 70, Measured

Clothing:

The Victim is wearing LEVIS brand blue jeans, regular fit, Size W33, L38.

Both legs of the blue jeans are almost completely torn off.

A brown leather NAUTICA brand belt is observed with the buckle broken off.

White, NAUTICA brand jockey style underwear.

Foot Wear:

ne, brown leather, Sperry brand "Topsider," deck shoe, size 10M, is recovered from the left foot.

This time you beat me to it MTrooper! :)

Oh thank goodness it was you Cubby who removed the link, I thought I was going crazy there for a minute.

I am amazed those photos were released. They should have done no photo available.
I would not recommend checking the namus link.

the information posted above in the first post is what is available at the link...... outside of contact info, which I will add shortly.

CONTACT INFO FROM LINK:

Local Medical Examiner/Coroner Contact

Agency Cook Cnty Medical Exmnrs Ofc Phone 312-997-4484

Case Manager

Name Mark Czworniak Email mark.czworniak@chicagopolice.org

ETA: Namus Case # 6966- PLEASE be forwarned these are very disturbing pictures currently posted if you choose to go directly to NamUs and search for the particular doe yourself.

snip:
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/04/mans-body-found-in-lake-michigan.html

Boater discovers man's body in Lake Michigan
April 15, 2010 5:41 PM | No Comments

A man in his 40s was pronounced dead after his body was found by a boater this morning in Lake Michigan, officials said.

The unidentified man appearing to be a white male in his 40s and was found floating in the lake at 801 S. Lake Shore Drive., said a spokesman with the Cook County medical examiner's office.

The man was pronounced dead at 12:30 p.m. at the Stein Institute at the Cook County medical examiner's office, officials said.

Police said a boater discovered the body at about 9 a.m. and alerted authorities. Police are investigating, a spokesman said.

-- Carlos Sadovi

I removed the link due to the extremely graphic nature of the photos posted at the NamUs link.

PLEASE DO NOT add the NamUs link to this doe until I can get some direction from Tricia on this. Thank you.

There is no point in using this photo for visual comparison.

Bloated decedents are usually not even recognizable to people who know them.

I was told by one of my MedEx contacts that he doesn't even show the photos of bloated decedents to relatives because they would not recognize them anyway, and they would be needlessly traumatized.

For anyone sleuthing this one - good visual of the teeth. Cemented bridge.

I agree with Mensch about the good dental pics. I do think that they would be helpful for identification.

I agree with Mensch about the good dental pics. I do think that they would be helpful for identification.
LOL mt, this work is not for those with sensitive stomachs.
Just a heads up for you. I am really busy with a female case out of WI and found something you might want to check on or notify the agency. The man in the MP article has been missing since Jan, 2010. Yea, I know, a long way but he only had to go to Milwaukee which is 3 hrs away and float from there to where he was found.
At any rate, I would focus on WI for this one first.
Also note his head was shaved at time of missing. He was wearing jeans and a jacket. He is the right height and weight and appx age. Anything this close is worth looking into. I don't have the time today.
Re: Missing Man: John W. Wiebke--WI--01/07/2010
Ya'll have a good day!

Thanks for the possible match Mensch.

Personally, I don't think this has anything to do with weak stomachs. there is not a coroners office in the country that would release those photo's on a john or jane do site viewable to the public. Doenetwork.org does not release the type of photo's released for this john doe. It simply doesn't happen, other than on sites that choose to post those kind of pictures and they are not the type of sites a family might go searching for their lost loved one.

IMO, this was a very very poor choice/mistake on the person who decided to upload those photos' The only thing useful was the teeth, and the photo should have been edited and photo shopped or touched up for appropriate viewing. Also possibly a glitch that NamUs did not catch them before they were released for public view.

Either way, I have contacted someone who has direct access via phone to the volunteers at NamUs to get the situation resolved. Hopefully they will get that taken care of very soon so no unfortunate family with a lost loved one is unneccesarily traumatized by viewing those photos.

JMO

Oh, and I am thinking that the upscale clothing, and expensive deck shoes that this guy is a boater who lost his ship. Thats where I am starting at least.

and when does LE offer every single picture to the public? We are talking about sites available to the public here. Let's be sensitive to the victim can we please? and not make this a debate about whether or not gruesome crime scene or morgue photo's should or should not be made available for the general public.

Thanks!
Cubby with her mod hat on.....

ETA: Final warning folks. There will be no more discussion on this thread regarding what is or is not appropriate for LE or ME to release on graphic crime scene or morgue photos. You are welcome to go start a seperate thread in the Jury Room for that topic. Any more discussion on this thread outside of identiying this man and TO's will be recommended. I am far too busy to moderate a discussion on this john does thread which should be about identifying HIM and not the off topic stuff.

I am also thinking that he probably went missing last summer and that thoes were originally Jean shorts hence the no pant legs.

I am also thinking that he probably went missing last summer and that thoes were originally Jean shorts hence the no pant legs.
mt,
NamUS lists postmortem interval at 6 months, But your are correct, could have been missing prior.
good luck!

This is still a pretty fresh case, being found on Thursday April 15 (eight days ago).

On Saturday, two days later, another body was pulled out of Lake Michigan about six miles north. He has been identified as a 26-year-old construction laborer, Mauricio Guayallas, who went missing in January and who was reported as such in February.

I don't know if they are related but it gives an indication of how long a body could be in the water in Chicago and not be found.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/2172690,CST-NWS-body19.article

Also the location where the Doe was found is right in downtown Chicago - now he could have floated there from anywhere but it seems more likely that he didn't get very far. Guyallas was found less than 2 miles south of his residence which was further inland.

I'm not sure about the pant legs on the Doe. Shorts would be easier to wear away but then if the legs of shorts could wear away then... why not a whole pair of jeans. Even if the label showed that they were bought as long pants then they could have been cut offs. The big problem with this victim being a boater, despite the upscale boating, is that someone should know about him being in the water. If you are on a boat then people know you have a boat, or that you're on someone else's boat. That boat either goes missing or is recovered/returned with too few people on board. In those circumstances, a missing person's report is almost guaranteed - and therefore an identification should have been made by now. If there's no reason for anyone to know that this guy was in the lake, the field is much larger and therefore he immediately gets harder to identify.

800 S, could be from anywhere. Those were summer style clothing, but that doesn't mean he wasn't out on the lake earlier this spring as we have had some pretty nice days already.

I think I remember recently reading about a boating accident in Chicago, within the last 1-2 months, and IIRC someone was not recovered. IIRC in the story a female was found, and there were either one or two other males on the boat, one recovered and one not, or just one male not recovered. I will see if I can find the story to see if my memory of the facts are accurate or not.

Having said that you'd expect to find a missing person report when someone goes overboard, it looks like I'm noticeably wrong.

A boat capsized Sunday morning throwing two people into the water.

Ronald Johnson, 62, of Chicago died. The other man's identity is not known.

This dates all the way back to June last year and I can't find anything in the media to indicate that this man has ever been named to the public. Maybe there is no need to or the media doesn't perceive any interest but it could also be that no one knows to look for him.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6888462

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho