Cutting

On AC360 tonight...
"And we’ve been following the tragic story of Phoebe Prince, a 15-year-old girl who hanged herself in January after enduring what prosecutors described as months of bullying. The teens who have been accused of bullying Prince are charged with civil rights violations. But defense attorneys are expected to use new evidence from Prince’s journal to argue that the teenage girl may have had psychological issues before the bullying. Apparently, she noted “cutting,” in her journal and referenced to the book, “Cutting,” by Dr. Steven Levenkron about understand and overcoming self-mutilation.

Tonight Anderson talks to Dr. Levenkron about why cutting and self-mutilation has become a growing trend among adolescents, teens and – especially – girls. Lisa Bloom also weighs in on how this new evidence may affect the case.

What else are you following? Let us know and see you at 10 p.m. ET.
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/23/morning-buzz-assisted-suicide-goes-to-court/

Hey :) just throwing this out into the universe and seeing if it sticks...;)

AC360 tonight has the cutting Dr. on, along with Lisa Bloom, to discuss Phoebe. If anyone is around, and would be so kind, would you post a recap on the cutting thread?

I don't think I'll catch it, I'm not feeling so well, tonight...but it would be great for this forum if we had a few different members takes, imo...

See you all later...:)...peace...p

Hope you feel better, Paladine!! I'll be watching and posting as long as I don't lose power or cable (we're having a horrid storm here).

I wanted to join in on the conversation.
I feel sick because while cutting is a real issue - she was clearly not a cutter by her own admission. I am thrilled to see cutting getting PR but NOT this kind of PR.
The defense is going to use this and it's wrong. I hope the DA does two things 1> fights back with the proof that she wasn't a cutter and 2> the fact that being a cutter DOES NOT make one suicidal. They can be two different issues.

I am interested to see AC but won't be able to, so if someone can post a summary. I will be interested to see if AC gets the story right that she wasn't a cutter!

Anyway, hello all!

I wanted to join in on the conversation.
I feel sick because while cutting is a real issue - she was clearly not a cutter by her own admission. I am thrilled to see cutting getting PR but NOT this kind of PR.
The defense is going to use this and it's wrong. I hope the DA does two things 1> fights back with the proof that she wasn't a cutter and 2> the fact that being a cutter DOES NOT make one suicidal. They can be two different issues.

I am interested to see AC but won't be able to, so if someone can post a summary. I will be interested to see if AC gets the story right that she wasn't a cutter!

Anyway, hello all!
I'm on my way out but wanted pop in and say, welcome! Good to have on Phoebe's forum...:blowkiss:

We are growing into a force to be reckoned with! :)

Thanks Paladine. My fiance told me about this case, I didn't even know about it. I am have been reading all day about it.

I would not put her down IF she was a cutter because that certainly is a serious psychological issue. But she wasn't.
Am I right that GMA made it seem like she was a cutter?

I would not put her down IF she was a cutter because that certainly is a serious psychological issue. But she wasn't.
I can't recall which show it was...The Today Show, peeps? I think the Today Show, the link should be on the media thread...WWLP's article cut her sentence in half leaving off the last part where she says "people close to me"...you gotta read that one, they butchered her book report to fit their premise. Daisys bringing posts over from the general thread to this one. I did a couple of posts on WWLP, it might get moved over...or search WWLP, if you have the stomach for it. ;)

I can't recall which show it was...The Today Show, peeps? I think the Today Show, the link should be on the media thread...WWLP's article cut her sentence in half leaving off the last part where she says "people close to me"...you gotta read that one, they butchered her book report to fit their premise. Daisys bringing posts over from the general thread to this one. I did a couple of posts on WWLP, it might get moved over...or search WWLP, if you have the stomach for it. ;)

When it should have said that she understood how people close to her felt? This is an outrage and my heart hurts at the same time for Phoebe.

When it should have said that she understood how people close to her felt? This is an outrage and my heart hurts at the same time for Phoebe.
Yes. They cut off the sentence leaving the impression she was speaking of herself.

But Slate did a great piece. It's on the other thread, too. Emily B. hit it out of the ballpark, imo. And The Litterbox gets kudos for bringing it to Emily's attention. SK emphasized the error in reporting in a blog post, and then Emily made it clear in her piece, Phoebe said the book helped her comprehend what people who were "close to me" had gone through. THAT was the last sentence most news reports left out.

Yes. They cut off the sentence leaving the impression she was speaking of herself.

But Slate did a great piece. It's on the other thread, too. Emily B. hit it out of the ballpark, imo. And The Litterbox gets kudos for bringing it to Emily's attention...SK emphasized the error in reporting in a blog post then Emily made it clear Phoebe said the book help her comprehend what people who were "close to me" had gone through. THAT was the last sentence most news reports left out.

Have you seen ACooper yet? Wonder how that will go.

I don't know what the litterbox is but will look for the Slate article! :eek:nline:

yep most of the media is trying to make it sound like she was a cutter and that this essay should have been a red flag and whatnot. I read that essay a month ago and never thought it any mind other than she was very intelligent and thoughtful about the subject.

It is possible she was a cutter, but we have no proof, and to use a 9th grade english essay assignment in an attempt to examine her psychological state is just grasping at straws, in my opinion.

also here's a link to Litterbox :) http://run4chocolate.wordpress.com/ Hope you have a few hours to spare ;)

"This book I really connected with as I found there was truth in every word that Levenkron wrote and it helped me comprehend what people close to me have gone through." -Phoebe Prince

Bolded part previously left out by WWLP.

On one of the essays, the 15 year-old wrote about a book she read called, "Cutting", written by a psychotherapist.

Prince wrote: "This book I really connected with, as I found there was truth in every word." She says self-mutilation is about "trying to transfer the pain from emotional to physical."
http://ow.ly/1Bvsm

Have you seen ACooper yet? Wonder how that will go.

I don't know what the litterbox is but will look for the Slate article! :eek:nline:
No, I haven't. But depending how my insomnia goes, I may catch the later episode. I'll try and get the video, tomorrow. Or if anyone else comes upon it...well, you know. ;)

This is the Litterbox
http://run4chocolate.wordpress.com/

yep most of the media is trying to make it sound like she was a cutter and that this essay should have been a red flag and whatnot. I read that essay a month ago and never thought it any mind other than she was very intelligent and thoughtful about the subject.

It is possible she was a cutter, but we have no proof, and to use a 9th grade english essay assignment in an attempt to examine her psychological state is just grasping at straws, in my opinion.

also here's a link to Litterbox :) http://run4chocolate.wordpress.com/ Hope you have a few hours to spare ;)

Also, someone may have seen cuts if she was a cutter or she would have told a close friend. Both of those don't have to be true. But I still see the defense :furious: using the essay!!!!

"This book I really connected with as I found there was truth in every word that Levenkron wrote and it helped me comprehend what people close to me have gone through." -Phoebe Prince

Bolded part previously left out by WWLP.

http://ow.ly/1Bvsm

Sounds to me like she had a friend who was a cutter and she was a confidant for that person.

AC did not cover Phoebe's case last night. Wonder why not?

Also, someone may have seen cuts if she was a cutter or she would have told a close friend. Both of those don't have to be true. But I still see the defense :furious: using the essay!!!!

yep very true. I'll never say she definitely did or didn't but I'm just really unhappy with the way the media is covering it. I'm sure the defense will use it, however I'm also sure that if she was a cutter the autopsy report would indicate same.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back