What's up with LE not returning calls?

Donjeta

Adji Desir, missing from Florida
Reaction score
Several people have complained that LE haven't returned their calls. Flora Hollars and Cobra to name just two that have been discussed lately, and didn't Art say so at some point as well? Chelsea got to talk to someone but said she felt she was not taken seriously. The Cummings side complained that they didn't get information.. etc.
I'm sure I missed someone.

Why is that?
Are LE just understaffed and don't have time to talk to people?
Is this tactical strategy of some sort? Keep them guessing?
Do they have a black list of people they don't want to talk to? If so, who are on the list? Suspects? Family of suspects? If so, why on earth? They're the ones who are likely to slip something. Nosy sleuthers and journalists? I understand this somewhat if you're trying to keep things under wraps but nosy people might sometimes stumble onto useful tidbits of information that might be worth having.
Do they return anybody's calls?
Do they think they already have everything they need and screen their calls according to who's likely to know things that confirm their pet theory?

I don't really understand why. Even if LE thinks that [unnamed individual] is an annoying kook it doesn't mean that they don't know anything or hear anything and if I was LE I would like to know what they have to tell me. Even if it's just tall tales or nosy questions for the most part there may be a small kernel of truth somewhere and what they're lying about or trying to pry information about might be a clue.

Overwhelmed is a good word, it is kind and politically correct.

I think it could possibly be that with everything going on recently, they're just trying to figure out what's what and have been very busy. I'm glad you asked this because I was wondering the same thing myself. Just my opinion.

I think it could possibly be that with everything going on recently, they're just trying to figure out what's what and have been very busy. I'm glad you asked this because I was wondering the same thing myself. Just my opinion.

off topic: I am so glad I joined websleuths! I find it very informative and love to read the different theories from people. I have learned so much already just by reading old posts and old articles. I love that people here aren't afraid to ask the hard questions.

OOPS!!! For some reason my post was submitted twice. I must have done something wrong. Sorry

We have seen the Haleigh room full of what they have on this case. I have listened to how this county responds to 911 calls which surprises me because my own county does not have the manpower that PC has. Maybe I am just so exhausted after all of this time waiting for answers, waiting for justice for an innocent little girl but we have to keep in mind LE does know more than we do - they just can't show their hand just yet. I just can't allow myself to blame LE when there are a multitude of unsavory people to investigate, follow, tap phone lines etc. If Art and Cobra complained about calls not being returned, I can understand. And Flo's calls not returned, maybe they were already (due to listening to Misty and Tommy) planning their search. Maybe other family calls were not returned because those family members have already lied to LE.

I have read up on the Missing thread of cases that were not solved for years, finally something broke, bodies found, and years later the perp taken to court, tried and convicted.

Am I just making excuses to myself because I don't want anyone to give up on LE????? Right now that hope is all I have.

off topic: I am so glad I joined websleuths! I find it very informative and love to read the different theories from people. I have learned so much already just by reading old posts and old articles. I love that people here aren't afraid to ask the hard questions.

OOPS!!! For some reason my post was submitted twice. I must have done something wrong. Sorry

Nice to meet you, BittysMomma! Glad you joined us. :)

I do believe that they know way more than we do and that they have way more important things to do than talk to people who may be wasting their time. If you have ever had an open case with any police department you will know that even when you call and leave a message it may take a week or more for them to get back with you. Imagine having all these family members calling you trying to sway you one way or the other, then all these people who want their ten minutes of fame trying to offer their opinion, it would take all your time to wade thru them all.

After seeing what these cops have done so far starting with the drug busts, I have complete faith that they know what they are doing and they know pretty much what happened.

If they call back they will be considered a "Source"...FYI I have received call backs.

They graciuosly take the info and do consider every call important...

I don't think the police have any obligation to call back family members and keep them updated on the investigation. It would a nice thing to do to set someone's mind at ease when they're obviously in a lot of pain, but it's not something they are required to do, or likely to do. There was a lot of discussion about this with Cindy Anthony getting upset that OCS never returned her calls. Well, they don't have to. SHE is not one of the investigators.

I do believe that they know way more than we do and that they have way more important things to do than talk to people who may be wasting their time. If you have ever had an open case with any police department you will know that even when you call and leave a message it may take a week or more for them to get back with you. Imagine having all these family members calling you trying to sway you one way or the other, then all these people who want their ten minutes of fame trying to offer their opinion, it would take all your time to wade thru them all.

After seeing what these cops have done so far starting with the drug busts, I have complete faith that they know what they are doing and they know pretty much what happened.

That says it.

After all this time, PC LE knows who works this way.

No, obviously LE is not obligated to give callers any information and it might be wise not to. It's just that if I was LE I wouldn't like to take the risk that the caller has helpful information but get blown off.

If I was Law Enforcement and the people that I called back (on a regular basis) were taking any small bits of information I was affording them and making a media tour frenzy with it for the purpose of bringing about unwanted rumors and speculation....then I would feel no shame or pain in not returning a phone call.

Le enforcement said back in August that there was much rumors and speculation going on and they said the same thing again last week. They have asked the public not to fall into the trap of believing the rumors of bloggers and other journalists who claim to have inside information. Law Enforcement wants a conviction and justice in this case for Haleigh Cummings.....We don't see Crystal yapping on national tv...or Marie for that matter....perhaps this is why TN has kept quiet as well. We will just have to wait an see....and trust.

I think it is getting more difficult to take a defendent to prosecution because of Defense Attorneys and their option to always blame LE for the downfall of the case. They do not allow for human error and will seek to use police and lab work as being at fault. I am not happy with this behavior and it sickens me. Look at the Susan Powell case, they can't even bring the husband in on that one....darn shame. Our laws have become more and more liberal and it looks like it is only going to get worse.

This all started with the OJ case and let's blame the cops and the labs.

This case has taken "Close the the Vest" to a new level. If not for the public pressure, I don't think they would be as far as they are.

Look at the Tara Grinstead case...small town..small LE. It went cold. They couldn't and wouldn't squeeze the likely people. These small towns seem to have a lot more trouble than the larger cities do with solving cases. It just seems so much harder nowadays, all over, to nail the perp.

LE is not giving anything up in Putnam County...that's for sure. Darn shame they won't talk. They never had even in the beginning. It was run in very political way and overplayed the secret. MO, they should have started clearing people. This would have cut down on much of their problems regarding calls and the media.

With all the contradictory stories coming from all the various players I think they would be hard pressed to clear anybody.

I don't think LE is required or obligated to return anyone's call's (except maybe mom Crystal's). They are working an active investigation that has recently been upgraded to a probable homicide.

I would be shocked and disappointed if they WERE returning Tom, Dick and Harry's calls.

With all the peripheral people suddenly trying to insert themselves into the middle of the investigation I wouldn't be returning calls if I were LE.

moo

When a case goes cold or much time goes by without it being solved, then it is a "let's blame LE" deal. I am sorry to see that.

JMO

I'm just wondering what those people you listed (Art, Cobra, Chelsea, Granny Flo...) need answered by LE so much they feel rejected by LE.

I'm sure that LE keeps in contact with those they feel it is important to keep in contact with. (I ended on a preposition.)

LE is not in the question answering business.
If anyone who called had evidence to offer I am sure they would listen, but they do not have time to be returning "we would like a comment or update calls". When LE has updates related to the case I am sure they are contacting the appropriate people like Crystal (who coincidentally is not one of the players saying she is being cold shouldered by LE). moo

I think this might help to explain why LE doesn't return calls. On April 20, 2010 when the Bombshell on NG about Misty showed bones that were possibly Haleigh's, LE was forced to give a press release.

That night, 4/21/10, on NG here is what Art Harris said about the bones and the press release.

HARRIS: They`re saying those were not Haleigh`s bones, they were either deer or alligator bones pulled from the river. The question is, did police know that when they showed them to her? And was the announcement today, Nancy, that they were animal bones curiously close to our report on your show that they showed her bones?

Don't you just love the way AH spun the "announcement" being "curiously close to our report" to confirm his story? NG and him forced LE to make an "announcement" because the Bombshell was that they were Haleigh's bones. There was nothing "curious" about why it was so close to thier reporting.

With all the speculation, rumors, gossip and out right lies, LE has to be very careful who they talk to and what they say. By not "returning" calls, no one can say they talked to LE today so LE is not forced to make anouncements to deny the story.

This is why Tommy's attorney kept saying he was not going to jeopardize his relationship with LE. LE will talk to those who keep their mouths shut and don't add fuel to the fire.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back