GUILTY FL - Daniel Torres, 13, shot to death by 14yo friend, Hollywood, 28 April 2010

Riddinx

Former Member
Reaction score
Police: 14-year-old kills 13-year-old boy
Reported by: Associated Press
Last Update: 9:11 am

HOLLYWOOD, FL -- Authorities are investigating after a South Florida teen fatally shot a 13-year-old boy in the head.

Hollywood Police said it's unclear if Wednesday's shooting was accidental and are trying to determine why the boys were not in school and how they obtained the handgun.

Hollywood Police spokesman Lt. Manny Marino said the 14-year-old boy and Daniel Torres were at his house when he shot Torres in the head. The boy later died at the hospital.

The shooter's identity has not been released.

Neighbors said the boys were friends who often rode their bikes together through the neighborhood.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/conten...s-13-year-old-boy/IwLFvYeZhUCd8EM6bFNe6g.cspx

(Sigh) why don't parents lock their guns up if they're going to have one? Of course, at the age of fourteen this boy might have been able to retrieve it unless it was locked with a key or something. I have a feeling they were playing around with the gun and it was an accident.

JMO

911 Call: 'I Just Shot My Best Friend On Accident'

Hollywood Teen Dies After Accidental Shooting
POSTED: Friday, April 30, 2010
UPDATED: 5:28 pm EDT April 30, 2010

23307118_640X360.jpg

Daniel Torres

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. -- Police released on Friday a 911 call from a 14-year-old boy who told the dispatcher that he accidentally shot his friend in the head at a Hollywood home.

Hollywood police said the 14-year-old boy accidentally shot 13-year-old Daniel Torres at a home in the 1300 block of North 73rd Way on Wednesday. Torres was taken to Memorial Regional Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The 14-year-old boy can be heard in a 911 call recording, reporting the shooting to authorities.

"I just shot my best friend on accident. Oh my God!" the 14-year-old boy told a 911 dispatcher.

"Is your friend still alive?" the dispatcher asked.

"No, he's dead. I shot him in the head on accident," the boy said, crying.

The boy went on to describe to the dispatcher what had happened.

"My mom has a gun and we were messing with it, and we took out the clip and we took out all the bullets, and Daniel was messing with it," the boy said. "I said, 'Give me the gun,' and then I pulled the trigger to see if there was a bullet in there, and I shot him. … He walked in front of me when I pulled the trigger."

No charges have been filed in the case. The investigation continues.

The State of Florida has a law requiring the safe storage of firearms away from children. To read the entire statute, visit the Florida Legislature's website.

http://www.justnews.com/news/23322491/detail.html#

From February 2011:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...24_1_jeff-dilworth-mothers-face-shari-edwards

A gulf of heartbreak separated two mothers who stood before Broward Circuit Judge Thomas M. Lynch IV on Thursday morning. Both women are grieving after Shari Edwards' son Jeff Dilworth, 14, held his mother's 9 mm handgun and accidentally killed Doris Rivera's boy, Daniel Torres, 13...

Since July, Dilworth has been serving a nine-month term in a DeSoto County rehabilitation center after pleading no contest to manslaughter by culpable negligence. When released, and until he turns 21, he will be supervised by the Department of Corrections.

On Thursday, it was Edwards' turn to hear her fate: four years probation and 100 hours of community service. The charge against her, culpable negligence, could have carried a five-year prison sentence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back