Times Square Bombing Suspect Caught.

According to a source familiar with the investigation, the individuals didn't have the expertise to detonate a parked Nissan Pathfinder containing propane tanks, fertilizer and gasoline.

Authorities focused on Shahzad when they traced evidence to him from the sale of the Nissan Pathfinder used in the failed attack -- information considered the linchpin of the case.

The Nissan Pathfinder had its vehicle identification number removed from the dashboard. Police climbed under the SUV and retrieved the VIN from the bottom of its engine block.

This breakthrough led investigators to the vehicle's registered owner and then on to Shahzad, who purchased the SUV, an official said.

The Nissan Pathfinder was sold three weeks ago in a cash deal with no paperwork exchanged, a law enforcement source with knowledge of the investigation said Monday. The $1,800 deal was closed at a Connecticut shopping mall, where the buyer handed over the money and drove off, the source said.

Cell phone calls conducted for the purchase of the vehicle helped lead police to the suspect, law enforcement sources said.

Fortunately bombers are really stupid. IIRC, In the WTC bombing in the early 90's police were able to get the vin number from a piece of the truck that survived the bomb. The police were able to trace the number to the Ryder Truck rental shop and it just so happened when they called the guys who had rented it were on the phone asking for their deposit back. They said it had been stolen. Police told the manager to offer to give the money back and when they showed up for the deposit they were arrested! :loser:

Link

What to watch for N.Y. bomb suspect's hearing

Editor's note: CNN's Senior Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin takes a look at what we can expect to see out of today's hearing in connection with the Times Square bomb plot.

Much of what will happen to Faisal Shahzad in federal district court today is predictable. One very important part is not.

Shahzad will probably be arraigned on a variety of charges, including use of an incendiary device and terrorism. He will be assigned a lawyer. He will not - obviously - be released on bail. The charges are likely to change and be expanded when the case is presented to a grand jury, but Shahzad will not be eligible for the death penalty because (fortunately) no one died as a result of his actions.

The big unanswered question is whether Shahzad will be charged with conspiracy.

The authorities clearly believe that he was a central figure in the plot to bomb Times Square, but what's unknown is if they believe that he acted alone. If he was not alone, the question then is whether his alleged co-conspirators are also in custody.

We'll know more about this critical question after Shahzad appears in court today.

Another man has been arrested in Pakistan.
"Mr. Shahzad also told the authorities that he had acted alone, but hours after he was arrested, security officials in Karachi, Pakistan, said they arrested a Pakistani man who had spent time with Mr. Shahzad during a recent visit there. Investigators said they arrested the man, Muhammad Rehan, in a mosque in the North Nazimabad area just after morning prayers. The mosque is known for its links with the militant group Jaish-e-Muhammad."
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/nyregion/05bomb.html?hp

No way did this guy act alone or wasn't funded by someone. I heard a neighbor say that the family's home in Bridgeport had been foreclosed on and they were in need of money. The wife was selling things on Craigs list. So how was he able to afford a last minute cash airplane ride back to Pakistan? I bet if they follow his bank account they will find someone has been advising or helping this guy.

No way did this guy act alone or wasn't funded by someone. I heard a neighbor say that the family's home in Bridgeport had been foreclosed on and they were in need of money. The wife was selling things on Craigs list. So how was he able to afford a last minute cash airplane ride back to Pakistan? I bet if they follow his bank account they will find someone has been advising or helping this guy.

They're putting together a lot of information very quickly. That police force rocks!!!

I think you're right. The Pakistani terrorists took responsibility for it right after it happened but Washington didn't believe they had that reach yet. Well looks like the CIA and FBI were taught lessons this weekend.

Link

(CNN) -- Investigators in Pakistan have arrested a number of suspects in the investigation into a failed car bombing in Times Square, a Pakistani intelligence source said Tuesday.

They arrested two or three people after raiding a house where the Times Square bombing suspect, Faisal Shahzad, is believed to have stayed during a recent visit to Pakistan, the source said.

The house is in the Nazimabad district of Karachi, Pakistan, the source said.

Meanwhile, authorities digging for details in the botched Times Square bombing attempt have gathered a hand-drawn map, a handgun and ammunition, and fertilizer -- all items linked the a Pakistani-American suspect arrested in the case.

Linky

New York (CNN) -- The suspect in the failed Times Square car bombing has admitted involvement in what authorities have now labeled "a terrorist plot," Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday.

Faisal Shahzad, a 30-year-old Pakistani-American, was arrested around 11:45 p.m. ET Monday at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport moments before he was to fly to Pakistan via Dubai. He is to appear in federal court in Manhattan later Tuesday.

He's probably proud of himself. :loser:

Damned Lutherans.

Luv ya Noid & thanks, I needed a little comic relief!
.... same ol story over & over!

Link to Criminal Complaint contained within the article below:

Holder said in a press conference that Shahzad has been charged with an act of terrorism and attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction in the May 1 bomb plot.

Holder said Shahzad, who has provided "valuable information" to investigators, attempted to carry out a "lethal terrorist attack" aimed at "murdering Americans in one of the busiest places in our country."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/04/pakistani-american-arrested-times-square-plot/

I was at JFK airport last night around the time this arrest went down. I missed a connection and was stuck there from 8 PM until I was given a hotel room at around 12:30. I had no idea that anything was occurring until I made it to my hotel and turned on the news.

As I mentioned, I didn't see anything specific, not even a greater than usual LE presence, but a whole bunch of flights were delayed by several hours. I wonder if authorities didn't want planes full of passengers on the tarmac while they moved in to make the arrest.

I also have to wonder, with all due respect, how on earth he got through airport security and onto the plane, since it seems LE knew for whom they were looking. For me, it raises some questions about the effectiveness of airport security. :waitasec:

Interesting, though, to have been so close to such a major story as it was happening.

Bombing suspect was expecting police when he was arrested on the airplane. The way the no flight list will be handled in the future is likely to change now too.

Good article and video here;

LINK

"I was expecting you. Are you NYPD or FBI?" Faisal Shahzad asked a law enforcement official when he was seized on a plane late Monday -- a dramatic arrest minutes before the Emirates passenger jet was to depart from John F. Kennedy International Airport for Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

The sources, directly involved in the investigation of the botched bombing attempt on Saturday night, told CNN that Shahzad suspected authorities were on to him after news reports that he allegedly bought a vehicle in Connecticut.

Shahzad, arrested by New York detectives and FBI agents, is now in federal custody.

He was able to board Emirates Flight 202 late Monday despite being put on a no-fly list earlier in the day, leading some to question whether the no-fly list worked.

This reminds me of David Berkowitz's famous "What took ya so long" comment to police.

The more I learn about this guy, the more I think that he's a mere whackjob rather than a "professional".

First there was the amateurish nature of the explosive device, now, "I was expecting you."

The more I learn about this guy, the more I think that he's a mere whackjob rather than a "professional".

First there was the amateurish nature of the explosive device, now, "I was expecting you."

What a dumbass this guy was. Authorities are calling him a wannabe. Not the sharpest tool in the shed though.

Link

The source, who did not explain how Shahzad had attempted to set off the bomb, said he then took a number of turns and wound up entering Times Square by driving south down Seventh Avenue.

It's unclear why Shahzad left the Pathfinder's engine running and hazard lights blinking.

But because of an incredible goof, Shahzad couldn't use his escape car. He had accidentally left the keys to that vehicle in the Pathfinder that he thought was about to blow up, the source said.

He apparently went to a train station, where he boarded a Metro North train back to Connecticut.

Another law enforcement source told CNN that investigators found a train receipt used by Shahzad that is stamped about 7 p.m., a half hour after a witness notified authorities that the car in Times Square was filing with smoke.

Sources say investigators believe he ran to catch the train that pulled out around 7 or 7:15 Saturday night.

Thank God he's an idiot. Others may not be so stupid.

What a dumbass this guy was. Authorities are calling him a wannabe. Not the sharpest tool in the shed though.

Link

The source, who did not explain how Shahzad had attempted to set off the bomb, said he then took a number of turns and wound up entering Times Square by driving south down Seventh Avenue.

It's unclear why Shahzad left the Pathfinder's engine running and hazard lights blinking.

But because of an incredible goof, Shahzad couldn't use his escape car. He had accidentally left the keys to that vehicle in the Pathfinder that he thought was about to blow up, the source said.

He apparently went to a train station, where he boarded a Metro North train back to Connecticut.

Another law enforcement source told CNN that investigators found a train receipt used by Shahzad that is stamped about 7 p.m., a half hour after a witness notified authorities that the car in Times Square was filing with smoke.

Sources say investigators believe he ran to catch the train that pulled out around 7 or 7:15 Saturday night.

Thank God he's an idiot. Others may not be so stupid.

Unfortunatley even an idiot can get lucky once in awhile. I think the big shots in the terrorist hierachy are counting on these disgruntled, not so brilliant people to do these small but effective acts of terror. They are the perfect patsys. Hard to track,kind of unsuspecting, but if they even succeed once, mission accomplished. Imagine someone setting off a car bomb that worked ,in a shopping mall during Xmas. Nobody would shop in a mall. The only reson people returned to Times Square the next day is because it didn't work. I think if the bomb had gone off, it would be quite awhile before the crods came back.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back