A&M alumna says tuition break for illegal immigrants paved way for her success....

tk71texas

wth is wrong with people today
Reaction score
In 2001, Texas lawmakers passed a law allowing illegal immigrants to qualify for much cheaper in-state tuition, and a woman who took advantage of the opportunity says it changed her life.

Illegal immigrants account for about 1 percent of all Texas college students. Texas A&M graduate Rosi Rodriguez says she was one of them.

'It's a success story because I went into college as an illegal immigrant," Rodriguez said. “Everyone is like, 'What’s your Social?' I'd be like, 'I don't have one.'"

http://www.khou.com/news/AM-Alumna-says-tuition-break-for-illegal-immigrants-paved-way-for-success-92928674.html

Well, with all the illegal immigrant business going on in the country, what are your thoughts on this. As a parent of a senior in just a few weeks, some things are better left unsaid. :furious:

:banghead::furious::mad::fuse::cursing::burn:

Thank goodness for emoticons. Wondering how come my tax dollars don't buy MY kids a break for college tuition.

My mom would have her home paid off by now, but took out a second mortgage in order to cover what wasn't covered by financial aid. I did what I could and worked during the summers while going to community college so I finished in 3.5 years. That saved a semester of tuition. When I decided to go to grad school, I paid that on my own. I am still paying my loans. I've been out of undergrad for 8 years and grad school for 5. I continue to owe many thousands of dollars and joke that my grandchildren will have to finish paying off my debts.

If someone earns scholarship money for sports, academics, etc..., I do not have a problem with that. They worked hard to get a break. But to grant any tuition break to someone who has not done anything to deserve it...... Kind of makes me think of all of the people in prision who can get degrees without paying for it. Apparently, if you do anything illegal, you stand a better chance of getting a higher education. Sorry. Normally I'm not quite so outspoken.

I can't even get started on this right now, I would love to go to school but can't afford to ....:furious:

http://www.theeagle.com/am/Students-debate-in-state-tuition

"The 2001 law didn't specifically mention illegal immigrants, but it defined eligibility for in-state tuition with conditions that some undocumented citizens could satisfy, such as living in Texas the three years leading up to high school graduation and signing an affidavit indicating intent to apply for permanent resident status.

Proponents of the current law argue that it does not favor non-citizens over citizens, given that it would only take citizens a year to establish residency without having to graduate from a Texas high school. "

http://www.theeagle.com/am/Students-debate-in-state-tuition

"The 2001 law didn't specifically mention illegal immigrants, but it defined eligibility for in-state tuition with conditions that some undocumented citizens could satisfy, such as living in Texas the three years leading up to high school graduation and signing an affidavit indicating intent to apply for permanent resident status.

Proponents of the current law argue that it does not favor non-citizens over citizens, given that it would only take citizens a year to establish residency without having to graduate from a Texas high school. "

Interesting points. This is obviously an extension of the debate on illegal immigration and adds fuel to all sides. Most people I know are quite set in their opinions on the matter and will not be changing their opinions, no matter what someone else says. Personally, unless a person is here legally, I do not believe they should receive the benifits that legal residents receive. If they are already in the process of becoming legal, I am willing to be a little more giving.

It just sucks that there are way more benefits for those that are not anglosaxon. I mean of all races....illegal or not. My kid in in FFA and wants to be an ag major. The only full ag scholarship we can find, is put out by the USDA. Cool right? Full ride, books, tuition, housing, food. After you graduate you have to work for the USDA for 4 yrs....kinda cool huh? Kicker is you have to attend one of the 17 historically black colleges. Why is this the only full ride scholarship that the USDA offers?.....Oh well we're still gonna apply and hopefully she'll get it. One of those colleges is only and hour from home. I am not a racist my any means.

I think that illegals should not get ANY benefits and I think ALL benefits should be equal for everyone. JMHO

How about a tuition break for the decendants of soilders that have kept this country free so that we can have colleges???? Yeah right! That would NEVER happen.
Somebody's toes might be stepped on.

This country has gone mad!

How about a tuition break for the decendants of soilders that have kept this country free so that we can have colleges???? Yeah right! That would NEVER happen.
Somebody's toes might be stepped on.

This country has gone mad!

They have tuition break and scholarships for soldiers now....but heck I served 8yrs and served during desert storm and I still had to pay for my education. :waitasec:

Off topic. Please ignore if not interested. If interested I'd be happy to assist someone in finding the appropriate agency to get more information about these programs.

There is a program called the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship and it provides money to the children of fallen troops (if the military member that is deceased was active duty from 9/11 and forward).

More scholarships and funding here:

http://www.nationalresourcedirector...s_for_children_of_service_members_or_veterans

There is a lot of finacial support for children and spouses of fallen troops. It may not all be retroactive to prior 9/11 but it's there and it's getting better every year.

Also if the Service member wishes to do so there is now an option of GI bill transfer:

http://www.gibill.va.gov/gi_bill_info/ch33/transfer.htm

My Husband is exploring the above for me. He wants to transfer to me so that we don't have to pay for my education out of pocket.

On Topic:

I have to look at this more closely before I comment on the TX law. It's new to me. LOL.

I understand that. I was kinda talking about decendants as in most Americans are decendants of American Soldiers who fought for our freedom at one point or another since the colonies were settled.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, IMO Americans should always have cheaper tuition because it was our forefathers who made America free to have colleges in the first place.

It's almost like we are punished for being Americans in our own country.

JMO

“Everyone is like, 'What’s your Social?' I'd be like, 'I don't have one.'"

It's obvious she wasn't an English major with that statement. How did she get these grants without a social security number? I bet neither of my children could apply for a grant or scholarship without giving their social security number.

I keep getting knocked off WS today. Must be my server. Grr.

Cool Kimberly :)

Okay I looked at this and if I'm reading this right it wasn't a law passed to specifically give illegals free college. But after reading the article in post #1 (thanks tk71texas!) it looks to be a loophole in the legislation that was passed.

I'm confused?

(from link tk71texas gave us: http://www.khou.com/news/AM-Alumna-...mmigrants-paved-way-for-success-92928674.html )

Snipped from various parts of the article: The part I bolded in red has another link speaking about it.

...In 2001, Texas lawmakers passed a law allowing illegal immigrants to qualify for much cheaper in-state tuition...

...Rodriguez graduated fourth in her high school class and gained automatic acceptance to Texas A&M -- and $50,000 in private scholarships...

...Rodriguez’s parents are in the U.S. legally, thanks to an amnesty program. She and her six siblings are split. Half were born here, half were not...

...In her final semester, Rodriguez got her green card -- a process as tough as school, she said...

From SouthCityMom (thanks SCM!) we have this link: http://www.theeagle.com/am/Students-debate-in-state-tuition

snipped and bolded in red to address the reporters choice of words in the first article:

...The 2001 law didn't specifically mention illegal immigrants, but it defined eligibility for in-state tuition with conditions that some undocumented citizens could satisfy, such as living in Texas the three years leading up to high school graduation and signing an affidavit indicating intent to apply for permanent resident status...

...Less than 1 percent of the Lone Star State's 1.2 million higher-education students are covered under the legislation...
(Question: how many of those that are included within that 1 percent are illegal aliens? The answer would give us much more insight to how widespread this problem is)

Much different from the wording in the first article.

and:

..Texas H.B. 1403, passed in 2001, and S.B. 1528, which passed in 2005...

It is under those two pieces of legislation that my oldest son was eligible to attend a TX college as a military child and only pay instate tuition. He also was extended the other benefits within those bills because he graduated from a TX High School. This legislation was not passed to benefit undocumented citizens. IMHO. (as an aside he opted to serve instead).

I read both of those articles and IMHO if it really presents a problem then by all means the citizens of TX have the right to either change the bills to their liking or to get rid of them.

My personal opinion is that this young lady has every right to be proud of where she is and how far she has come and I see that she will be a contributing citizen of the USA once she is given the honor to apply and become one. The immigration situation in this Country right now is far too complex for me to even begin to contemplate. honestly.

I would never deny anyone a chance for an education.

I am not a Native American, my ancestors were immigrants and I don't recall that they asked permission first.

There is NOTHING wrong with wanting a better life for your children.

I am not a Native American, my ancestors were immigrants and I don't recall that they asked permission first.

Agreed if you are a legal immigrant. Illegals are provided for by our government at the expense of our own tax dollars. I just can't get into this argument....sorry. :banghead:

Nope, nothing wrong with wanting to better the lives of your children. But, why should they get a discounted rate of tuition?

Sorry, that makes no sense to me.

Why should they get a better/cheaper shot at a good education than my child?
I have no problem with everybody getting a good education. But, if I have to work hard all my life to pay for it, so should everybody. Or, if my child has to work hard and make good grades or excel at sports (very hard work also) to get a scholarship, so should everybody else.

JMO

I guess the word "illegal" means nothing in the immigrant situation. Why did her parents never try to become legal until they got amnesty or get her a green card until it helped out with tuition. There's been such a huge influx of Mexicans in Texas that they're becoming worried that the kids won't attend college. I'm seeing lots of news articles talking about their parents not encouraging college and how the dropout rate needs to change, because there won't be enough lower paying jobs in the future. Of course this means less spent on new homes and new cars. Texas is expected to be mostly Hispanic in the next 30 years, and Hispanics legal or not are being encouraged to get educations.

Do you know how many American kids don’t get to go to college because their hard working American families can’t afford it? Just to see stories like this where government is letting immigrants go at a reduced rate. IMO this is discrimination.

Or how about when immigrants arrive here and they are given business grants to start a business. So they can live the “American Dream”. Do you know how many hard working Americans have had the dream to own their own businesses all their lives, but can’t because they don’t have the finances to do it? IMO this is discrimination.

Or, when I’m pondering over all my medical bills and trying to decide how I will manage to pay all the deductibles and co-pays when my husband works very hard to pay for the insurance in the first place, but immigrants get here and get free medical care. They don’t have to worry about medical bills. We pick up that tab for them. IMO this is discrimination.

Bolded by me respectfully.

I hear you Linda. I was looking at the bills referenced above and until 1982 TX had a law on the books that is described as this:

http://www.window.state.tx.us/specialrpt/undocumented/3education.html

...Until 1982, Texas law prohibited local school districts from using state funds to educate undocumented immigrant children; furthermore, districts were allowed to deny enrollment to such children...

... In 1982, however, the Texas law was deemed unconstitutional. In Plyler v. Doe, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Texas law violated the equal protection provisions of the 14th Amendment...

So our Federal Gvmt. dictates this right now. I don't have a problem with it, I can't imagine---looking a child in the face and telling them you can't enroll in school. eek.

The way I understand it is that when the Supreme Court ruled the TX law (the young woman in post #1, the focus of the thread, attended school here in TX) the 14th amendment they kicked in money for those now enrolled students.

The Federal Gvmt. did not bankrupt the State. The schools now recieved their federal aid based on all of the student body numbers.

Not just for the children that were citizens of USA and having to foot the bill for the additional students they now have....KWIM?

I realize that this is a volitile subject right now in the USA. But as I said before, this situation is far too complex for me to even contemplate. There are approx. (just short of) 11 million (by estimates).

The bulls out of the barn. We are a day late and a dollar short. What are you going to do with 11 million ppl and their children? Deny them medical care when they need emergent care? Deny their children entry into elementary school?

I just have no answers, but all I've heard on talk radio and TV so far don't seem viable. JMHO.

Bolded by me respectfully.

I hear you Linda. I was looking at the bills referenced above and until 1982 TX had a law on the books that is described as this:

http://www.window.state.tx.us/specialrpt/undocumented/3education.html

So our Federal Gvmt. dictates this right now. I don't have a problem with it, I can't imagine---looking a child in the face and telling them you can't enroll in school. eek.

The way I understand it is that when the Supreme Court ruled the TX law (the young woman in post #1, the focus of the thread, attended school here in TX) the 14th amendment they kicked in money for those now enrolled students.

The Federal Gvmt. did not bankrupt the State. The schools now recieved their federal aid based on all of the student body numbers.

Not just for the children that were citizens of USA and having to foot the bill for the additional students they now have....KWIM?

I realize that this is a volitile subject right now in the USA. But as I said before, this situation is far too complex for me to even contemplate. There are approx. (just short of) 11 million (by estimates).

The bulls out of the barn. We are a day late and a dollar short. What are you going to do with 11 million ppl and their children? Deny them medical care when they need emergent care? Deny their children entry into elementary school?

I just have no answers, but all I've heard on talk radio and TV so far don't seem viable. JMHO.

I completely agree the situation is incredibly complex. I really do wish I had an answer. Maybe I need to sit down and try to think of something viable, honestly. The US let this get to the point that I believe many people are taking advantage of it. I believe in the beginning, the concept was a fairly good one and benifited everyone. People who wanted a better life had a chance, and when they became productive, legal citizens, it benifited those already here. However, there began a slow erosion and people began to take advantage of the kindness offered by the US. It has quickly rolled down hill and people are now mad as heck. People want an overnight fix, and it's not going to happen. It will be a slow process, but citizens have to be a part of it. And we have to be rational and cool headed about it. Rash action will only inflame matters. At this time, I don't know what the answer is. Hopefully there is one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back