Woman Sues After Microwave Popcorn Gave Her "Popcorn Lungs"

bogeygal

Reaction score
Yikes ! That is scary, I eat micro popcorn along with my kids occasionally, I don't think I will be any longer !!

Why in the heck does our goverment allow this crap in our food to begin with :waitasec: oh yeah ! Its called money $$$$$

I'll just buy the kind you pop yourself from now on :popcorn:

I wonder if she saved all her reciepts ???

Yikes ! That is scary, I eat micro popcorn along with my kids occasionally, I don't think I will be any longer !!

Why in the heck does our goverment allow this crap in our food to begin with :waitasec: oh yeah ! Its called money $$$$$

I'll just buy the kind you pop yourself from now on :popcorn:

I wonder if she saved all her reciepts ???

According to the article she is one of a handful of people who have sued over exposure to the additive diacetyl, which gives the popcorn it's buttery taste.

On top of that, the company is also being sued by some of their workers.

I have heard of this before. It's my understanding that most microwave popcorn manufacturers changed their recipe after this. No idea if all have changed or if the ingredient(s) they changed to have made it safer. But really I think you would have to use the popcorn day after day for it to be a problem. One guy I heard of who got this had used it quite often (not sure for how long) and purposely sniffed it each time he made some because he loved the smell so much.

IMO, after the recipe change popcorn doesn't taste as good! /selfish rant

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/06/health/main3239379.shtml

Okay, it was 2 bags a day for 10 years.

This does not bother me at all! I do not eat 2-3 bags of micro popcorn every day. We eat it every other weekend and I do not stand near the microwave and breathe in the vapors. You can also get plain and heat of regular butter in a pot on the stove and drizzle over your popcorn if you are really that scared of getting this problem.

That's why I don't buy Act II brand, or Movie Theater Butter Flavored!:sick:
Pop-Secret Homestyle is really good though, that's the only kind I buy.

The people I'd be worried about with this is the workers who are around the fumes all day. I would hope that the company would provide some kind of breathing apparatus for them.

I second the Pop Secret Homestyle. I've liked that one for years. To me it tastes a little different than it used to. It used to have this very delicate butter taste that IMO it doesn't anymore, but it's still better than most others.

I saw a show about popcorn years ago and it grossed me out what they can put in in, however don't remember what it was??

Have stopped buying popcorn at the movies because whenever I ate it, about halfway I would get itchy and cough. Doesn't happen with microwave popcorn but this whole thing is making me rethink popcorn again. Back to regular kernals with no additives maybe?

I saw a show about popcorn years ago and it grossed me out what they can put in in, however don't remember what it was??

Have stopped buying popcorn at the movies because whenever I ate it, about halfway I would get itchy and cough. Doesn't happen with microwave popcorn but this whole thing is making me rethink popcorn again. Back to regular kernals with no additives maybe?

A few years ago Mr. zig's daughter, then 11, had to make some popcorn and mixed candy corn treats for her class. She thought for ALL that popcorn we were going to just buy microwave - uh NO - a little too expensive.

I bought a bag of kernals and BOTH of his kids ages 11 and 14 had NEVER known popcorn to be made any other way but by microwave.

We had so much fun popping the corn on the stovetop in the big metal skillet and watching them pop out of the pan before we could get it all to the bowl.

I hate microwave anything really. Making popcorn is fun and then you get to use REAL butter ~ yummy. And my other favorite topping to include is Brewer's Yeast. That is the BEST!!

Start popping your own everyone.

I have brownie butt - should I sue, too?

(j/k)

I second the Pop Secret Homestyle. I've liked that one for years. To me it tastes a little different than it used to. It used to have this very delicate butter taste that IMO it doesn't anymore, but it's still better than most others.
That's what makes it better, there's no nauseauting, heavy FAKE butter flavor, it's light and tastes like real butter!
If I buy popcorn at a movie theater, I won't let them add the fake butter, I'll go without!

I started popping my own when my elderly mother couldn't tolerate the high salt of the microwave sort. It's fast (stove top), easy, and completely at your will for toppings.

I like butter, a dash or two of garlic salt, and a liberal sprinkling of Parmesan! :)

I have brownie butt - should I sue, too?

(j/k)

Me,too!! We can make it a class-action and invite the people with icecream thighs and potato chip hips...J/K...

For God's sake how much popcorn do you have to sniff for this to occur?

Well this is yet another disease I can mark off my list that I will never have because I hate popcorn.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back