GUILTY WA - James Sanders, 43, killed in Craigslist robbery, Edgewood, 28 April 2010

KALI

Reaction score
Diamond Ring Ad on Craigslist Leads to Murder

(May 7) -- It seemed like a good idea -- make some extra cash by selling a diamond ring on Craigslist. But a Washington state man who opened his door to what he thought was a prospective buyer found a band of murderous thieves instead, police said.

Jim Sanders, 43, spoke on the phone to a man who responded to his website ad. He gave the man his address in Edgewood, a Seattle suburb, and set up a meeting time so the buyer could inspect the ring, police said. But when Sanders answered the door on April 28, three men and a woman stood on the doorstep. One of the strangers pulled a gun and the gang forced its way inside, police said.

Within moments, the intruders had tied up Sanders, his wife, Charlene, and the couple's two sons, investigators said. The family were beaten and pistol-whipped as they watched the thieves gather up their valuables, including the diamond ring, ABC News reported.

More at the link including pics of the perps and a video http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/police-say-jim-sanders-killed-by-robbers-who-saw-his-craigslist-ad-for-diamond-ring/19469483?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl1|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fcrime%2Farticle%2Fpolice-say-jim-sanders-killed-by-robbers-who-saw-his-craigslist-ad-for-diamond-ring%2F19469483

:( What a horrific story. Proof positive that it's always best to conduct these types of transactions in a public place.

Many prayers to this family. I can't imagine the pain they are going through.

:( What a horrific story. Proof positive that it's always best to conduct these types of transactions in a public place.

Many prayers to this family. I can't imagine the pain they are going through.

Right. If you have to sell something, don't give out a home address number, and arrange a meeting in a public place with a lot of witnesses.

It's so sad that in this day and age you cannot give out your home address -- and you never should. Conduct these transactions in a public or workplace. I hate CL - as we've all seen so many killings as a result. I'm so sorry for this family.

BAN CRAIGS LIST!!!!

Mel

It's so sad that in this day and age you cannot give out your home address -- and you never should. Conduct these transactions in a public or workplace. I hate CL - as we've all seen so many killings as a result. I'm so sorry for this family.

BAN CRAIGS LIST!!!!

Mel

CL is a service, just like any other service.
Unfortunately some people use it for a criminal purpose, but I fail to see how it is CL fault. If this family put a notice they want to sell their ring into a newspaper, would you demand newspapers be banned?

Craigs List can't be blamed for this...everyone needs to be careful about giving their home address out to strangers. This is a sickening case, obviously predators look at CL but it could have been the daily newspapers just as easily. No matter what you are selling, you can't have strangers coming to your house knowing you own something of value, sad but true.

BAN CRAIGS LIST!!!!

Mel

There are so many places that people advertise things for sale, and probably every one of them has led to an incident such as this. We'd probably have to ban newspapers, local sales papers, etc: IOW, it probably isn't a feasible plan to ban Craig's list, although I certainly can identify with your desire to do so!

I think it would be better if people were more cautious in what they place into an ad. I wouldn't give my home phone number, because anyone with access to a computer can do a reverse look-up and end up on your door step even if you haven't given your address out.I would list a cell number, because those are harder to trace.... I wouldn't list enough of my name to make it possible for others to look me up......K Geaux is enough of a public name for me.....and of course, we should never invite strangers to our homes by giving them our address. I suppose this man felt comfortable in doing so because he wasn't alone at home, and he wasn't expecting more than one or two people to show up.

I am sorry he lost his life, and my prayers go out to his family, but WHAT A HERO.

Dad shot dead after placing Craigslist ad
Police say four people came to his home and killed him in front of his family
updated 8:41 a.m. MT, Tues., May 11, 2010

It was just a simple sales transaction set up via Craigslist, the Internet classified ads site. The item being offered was valuable — a 1.07-carat diamond ring, with an asking price of $1,050 — but James Sanders, a trusting man, felt there was nothing to fear.

“He’s sold different things on Craigslist,” Charlene Sanders told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira Tuesday from Puyallup, Wash.

Tragically, Charlene Sanders is a widow today and her husband, James, is dead. He died defending his family from four people who came to the house in response to his ad. They didn’t come to buy the ring; they came to steal it, along with anything else of value the family had.

“Our whole life has been ripped apart,” Charlene said. “We’re just trying to put it back together as best we can. It’s hard.”

Transaction turns to terror
Charlene was speaking on national television for the first time since the April 28 robbery and murder. At her side was Derek Sanders, her husband’s younger brother.

She described a terrifying scene that began with a young couple at the door and a friendly transaction, and ended in gunshots and death

Read more: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37082569/ns/today/?gt1=43001#ixzz0noX1ir25

I have sold things on Craigslist and when possible I try to meet in a public place. I don't like the idea of people I don't know coming into my house and seeing what I have, even though it's not a lot. I had a ring to sell once and I met the people at the mall. The only time someone needs to come to my house is when I have sold puppies and even that makes me nervous. I hope people will be more cautious now and not invite strangers into their homes when it can be prevented.

I know they have already caught this guy as well but here is another article. This is just a horror story, how sad for this family:

Nationwide search under way for fourth suspect in Craigslist murder
Posted on May 5, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Updated Thursday, May 6 at 7:30 AM

TACOMA, Wash. - Detectives from the Pierce County Sheriff's Department have identified the fourth suspect involved in the April 28 robbery-turned-homicide in Edgewood.

A nationwide arrest warrant has been issued for Clabon T. Berniard, 23, of the SeaTac area. He is identified as being black, 5-foot-11, 200 pounds with black hair and brown eyes.

"We guess he's in the wind, knowing that we're going to be looking for him and now we're going to need the public's help to get him caught," said Det. Ed Troyer with the Pierce County Sheriff's Dept.

The victim's brother made a public plea to turn the suspect in

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Sus...asion-murder-denies-involvement-92875209.html

Gunman in Craigslist murder sentenced to 109 years

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/436985_craigslist11.html

The gunman in a deadly home invasion robbery was sentenced to 109 years in prison for the April 28 shooting death of a man who offered a ring for sale on Craigslist.
Kiyoshi Higashi received the sentence days after a Pierce County jury found him guilty of first-degree murder in the case.

Higashi was also found guilty of first-degree burglary and two counts each of second-degree assault and first-degree robbery.

Three others - Clabon Berniard, 23; Joshua Reese, 20; and Amadna Knight, 21 - have also been charged. All three pleaded not guilty, and are being held on $2 million bail each.

"Not only was the victim's family hurt, my family was hurt that day. I was hurt . . . My dad cried about it, you know? For you all to hate me for that and look at me as a hateful and a monster, that's incorrect."

Is this guy for REAL???

why on earth didn't dad just sit and wait for them to leave! why did he get out of his chair? :( he would probably still be alive.

why on earth didn't dad just sit and wait for them to leave! why did he get out of his chair? :( he would probably still be alive.

There have been people killed during robberies who sat quietly and did as they were told.

Is this guy for REAL???

Yep. He admitted in the end he was the one who shot and killed the guy.
"I really don't give a *advertiser censored** what kind of you sentence you give me," Higashi told the judge just before he was sentenced. "Because either way, I'm gonna still be in prison. And either way I'm gonna be happy. And either way, that man is still dead. And I looked at him in the eyes and I told 'em I prayed for the both of us before I killed him."
http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-craigslist-killer-admits-to-pulling-trigger-20110311,0,7312470.story

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=493985

Third defendant in Craigslist killing found guilty of murder

Joshua N. Reese guilty of:
first-degree murder
first-degree burglary
2 counts of first-degree robbery
2 counts of second-degree assault

Trial for 4th defendent Clabon Bernaird, due to begin this august.

From April 2015:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...illing-convicted-a-second-time-299943771.html

Kiyoshi Higashi and Amanda Knight went into the home on April 28, 2010 posing as buyers and then Higashi pulled out a gun and tied up Sanders and his wife. Joshua Reece and Berniard, who were waiting outside, entered the home and immediately gathered the Sanders' sons, ages 10 and 14 years, at gunpoint.

Berniard kicked Sanders' wife in the head as she lay on the floor, and then put a gun to the back of her head and counted down as though he was going to shoot her. James Sanders broke free and Higashi shot him three times, killing him...

All four in the group were convicted and charged in 2011: Kiyoshi Higashi, was given 109 years, Joshua Reece was sentenced to 100 years, and Amanda Knight was given a 71-year sentence.

From June 2015:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...entenced-to-97-years-in-prison-308544511.html

After his conviction was overturned, Berniard was given a new trial and was once again found guilty of first degree murder, first degree robbery, first degree robbery and second degree assault, according to the Pierce County Prosecutor's Office.

On Friday a judge sentenced him to 97 years in prison.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back