SC - Michael Davidson, 16, shot to death in Gaffney robbery, 8 May 2010

Mr. E

Reaction score
This is from my neck of the woods:
http://www.wyff4.com/news/23502346/detail.html

I posted it because I wanted other people's opinions. The boys had robbed the restaurant and were leaving. The proprietors shot the boys as they were leaving (possibly in the back). On the one hand, there was no shoot out, which could have ended in more deaths. On the other hand, three teens are dead for probably not a whole lot of money.

Should the proprietors have shot the robbers as they were leaving? Or should they have just called 911 and left it at that?

Oh, and one odd comment on the news report.
"He was real happy go lucky, liked to joke a whole lot." his uncle said. "He liked to look good, had the best shoes on. He was an all around good kid."
The best shoes on? Who really cares what kind of shoes a person wears? What an odd thing to remember about a kid who has died. Not "he had a bright future," but rather, "he wore great shoes." Weird.

i think it's wrong to shoot ANYONE in the back (well, maybe not always throw me a scenerio lol i may change my mind) but those guys were leaving. With the money yes but NOT putting anyones life in danger as they left, correct? if so then what happened was no better than murder i my opinion. might not have all th info either, that happens a lot but if it was as cut and dry as suggested, then that is just not right :(

I agree if they were running away then they should have just let them go.. And they were able to shoot all 3 of them, My gosh...how many bullets did they fire??

It's the family of the would be robber who says they were running away. The autopsy hasn't even been done yet, so how does the family know? The article claims investigators say they were "about to leave," well, that makes a big difference.

I need a little more info on this beforI can really comment. Here is another article claiming the kids were robbing or attempted to rob the employees:

Teens shot, 1 killed during S.C. restaurant robbery
Police say a 16-year-old was killed and two other teens shot when they tried to rob employees of a South Carolina restaurant.

GAFFNEY, S.C. (AP) -- Police say a 16-year-old was killed and two other teens shot when they tried to rob employees of a South Carolina restaurant.

The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office said in a news release Saturday that two workers at Sonny's Cafe in Gaffney were armed and began shooting as the suspects started to leave the cafe.

Coroner Dennis Fowler said Michael Shaquille Davidson of Gaffney died of a gunshot wound.

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/93206184.html

I agree if they were running away then they should have just let them go.. And they were able to shoot all 3 of them, My gosh...how many bullets did they fire??

I'd say at least three, unless one bullet hit several people.

Gaffney Teen Killed In Restaurant Shooting
Coroner: Michael Davidson Fatally Shot In Incident

POSTED: 2:33 pm EDT May 8, 2010
UPDATED: 4:49 pm EDT May 9, 2010

SNIPPED..........................................................................

Police said after the shooting, a 16-year-old robber ran on foot to a house on 6th Street but later died of his injuries. Officials said they will release his identity after the family has been notified.

Investigators said 18-year-old Lloyd Ryan Jefferies, of 152 Cheynne Road in Gaffney, also ran on foot but was later taken by car to Mary Black Hospital, where he was arrested by a Cherokee County deputy. Officials charged Jefferies with armed robbery and are holding him in the Cherokee County Detention Center.

The third robber ran across the street from the café and was treated at the scene by EMS before being transported to Spartanburg Regional Hospital, officials said. He underwent surgery and remains hospitalized, but police said they plan to charge the 16-year-old with armed robbery as an adult and will then release his identity.

Investigators have recovered two weapons used by the robbers, but said they believe a third gun was used as well. That weapon has not yet been located.

Sheriff’s Office crime scene technicians are still reviewing the evidence collected from the scene and awaiting results from ballistics test to determine what took place inside the café.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/news/23495948/detail.html

Gaffney Teen Killed In Restaurant Shooting
Coroner: Michael Davidson Fatally Shot In Incident

POSTED: 2:33 pm EDT May 8, 2010
UPDATED: 4:49 pm EDT May 9, 2010

SNIPPED..........................................................................

Police said after the shooting, a 16-year-old robber ran on foot to a house on 6th Street but later died of his injuries. Officials said they will release his identity after the family has been notified.

Investigators said 18-year-old Lloyd Ryan Jefferies, of 152 Cheynne Road in Gaffney, also ran on foot but was later taken by car to Mary Black Hospital, where he was arrested by a Cherokee County deputy. Officials charged Jefferies with armed robbery and are holding him in the Cherokee County Detention Center.

The third robber ran across the street from the café and was treated at the scene by EMS before being transported to Spartanburg Regional Hospital, officials said. He underwent surgery and remains hospitalized, but police said they plan to charge the 16-year-old with armed robbery as an adult and will then release his identity.

Investigators have recovered two weapons used by the robbers, but said they believe a third gun was used as well. That weapon has not yet been located.

Sheriff’s Office crime scene technicians are still reviewing the evidence collected from the scene and awaiting results from ballistics test to determine what took place inside the café.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/news/23495948/detail.html

So the robbers were also armed?

Ok so so far I see that at 3:00 am they come into the establishment armed and rob employees, if I was in their postion I would say I would fear for my life.
Now if the teens where leaving actually leaving the rest. I'm not sure if I would open fire.

To each their own I guess, but I am not going to condem the employees for trying to protect themselves. These kids where up to no good and if they are already doing crap like this it is only a matter of time before they actually kill someone doing this.
SC has laws in place for people to protect themselves without the worry of prosecution if it was in self defense or they feared for their life sooo....

I am sorry one of the teens died but where were this kids parents ? I mean did they have any clue as to what was going on with their child. Where are we in this world when our teens are sporting guns and going around reaking terror on innocent people, you make the choice when you decide to commit this kind of crime, you make your bed.

Anyway jmo of course, if someone broke into my home wielding a gun I prob. would not hesitate to shoot them, it is me or them .....

I have no problem with what the proprietors did.

Exactly. Even if someone is running away, with a gun, how do you know that someone won't turn around and shoot at you?

You dont ! I would be under the impression if someone has pulled a gun on me their intentions are to do me bodily harm and or kill me, I can't imagine being put in this type of postion especially with 3 people.

I don't have enough info but am nervous about store proprietors running out into the street shooting at fleeing criminals. IF that is how it happened. That puts a whole lot of innocent citizens on the streets and sidewalks and coming out of other businesses in needlessly harms way IMOO. IF they were shot at while fleeing away and the robbery had already ocurred and was over. Then I feel the proprietor was wrong.

If the teens were still in the process of robbing the store at gunpoint, I think the proprietor has every right to use a gun to attempt to "level the field" against the threat of harm to himself or employees.

Exactly. Even if someone is running away, with a gun, how do you know that someone won't turn around and shoot at you?

And even if they don't shoot you at that time, if you are later scheduled to testify against them in a trial, how do you know they (or someone they know) won't shoot you then, or worse, shoot someone you love just to send you the message.

I KNOW of a mother who was scheduled to testify in a trial and the animals tortured and horrendously murdered her 16 year old son. His body was found stuffed in an old tire in a pond.

Think about that awhile, and then tell me I should let gun-wielding robbers running in a pack continue to roam the earth. :furious:

I see now that only one of the robbers died (when I heard it on the news this morning, I thought they said the shooting resulted in three deaths). I'm eager to hear how the proprietors' and robbers' stories will differ, because I'm sure they will. Seems like I did see a visual on the news with three gunshots in a window...it was early, though, and I could be mistaken.

FYI, here's the 18-year-old perp: http://www.cherokeecountysheriff.net/detail.php?id=18023

he waited till they left.....cause he knew he couldnt get the drop on them while they had guns in his face in the store. still, i dont know.

what if his shots hit innocent bystanders, children or whatever? is it justified to fire widly into the street at fleeing people? to me this is voluntary manslaughter, at least.

i remember seeing a video of a robbery where the guy waited till the robber turned to leave, then very coldly, took out his own revolver from behind the counter and plugged the robber execution style in the back of the head. that didnt look like 'self defense' from my view. that looked like an execution.

i remember seeing a video of a robbery where the guy waited till the robber turned to leave, then very coldly, took out his own revolver from behind the counter and plugged the robber execution style in the back of the head. that didnt look like 'self defense' from my view. that looked like an execution.

I'd say to look beyond the moment and below the surface. This action quite likely saved some lives that would have been lost later on down the line when this mere robber morphed into an accomplished killer. It also likely saved thousands of hours of free legal representation charged to law-abiding taxpayers, many years of incarceration costs, and a "legal" execution accomplished by the state when this robbers time was finally up.

Sorry. I still think of the poor mother whose 16 year old son was viciously murdered simply because SHE was set to testify against a "mere" robber.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back