Last Broadway Ziegfeld Follies Girl dies at 106

Dark Knight

Reaction score
NEW YORK – The last Ziegfeld Follies Girl has died.

Doris Eaton Travis, one of the legendary Ziegfeld Follies chorus girls, who wore elaborate costumes for the series of lavish Broadway theatrical productions in the early 1900s, died Tuesday at age 106, public relations firm Boneau/Bryan-Brown said. It didn't say where or how she died.

Travis, who was from West Bloomfield, Mich., also was a supporter of the Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS fundraising organization and appeared often in its Easter Bonnet Competition.

She continued to work long after her Follies days ended, with annual appearances on Broadway, a small role in a Jim Carrey movie and a memoir, "The Days We Danced: The Story of My Theatrical Family From Florenz Ziegfeld to Arthur Murray and Beyond."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100512/ap_on_en_ot/us_obit_ziegfeld_girl

RIP Doris!!!!

DORIS-EATON-TRAVIS-001.jpg

R.I.P.

RIP, Doris. She was a stunning woman. Hoping every one of her 106 years were wonderful and full of happiness.

What a stunning woman. Can you imagine the stories she had? I hope she had a wonderful 106 years and lived it with fearless adventure and love.

RIP Doris. She was beautiful.

According to the obituary in the Post she died from an aneurysm.

Obituary: Doris Eaton Travis, 106
Doris Eaton Travis, who died May 11 at age 106, traversed one of the longest and more inspiring careers in show business. On stage since childhood, she was the youngest chorus girl ever hired in the Ziegfeld Follies, a popular theatrical spectacle of the early 20th century designed to "glorify the American girl."
By the time of her death from an aneurysm at a hospital in Commerce, Mich., Mrs. Travis was the last surviving chorus girl from the Follies, according to Ziegfeld archivist Nils Hanson. He said Mrs. Travis's death "marks the end of the Ziegfeld golden era of Broadway."

I saw this on the news, or on PBS.... they had some neat footage about Doris and had shown a reunion of the last 3 living Follies girls from back in the 90's sometime. It was quite amazing to watch. They were all beautiful, and got back up there even in their 90's and remembered all the steps to the dances.... It was a really neat show.

I agree with whomever posted Doris likely lived her full 106 years with adventure and love.

RIP Doris, you were one stunning woman, even in your elderly years. We should all be so lucky!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back