MI - Aiyana Jones, 7, fatally shot in Detroit PD raid, 16 May 2010 * Settlement Reached* *Mistrial*

BeanE

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
casesignal.wordpress.com
Rest in peace, Aiyana.

bilde

Aiyana's father

detroit-girl-killed.jpg

Last Updated: May 17. 2010 3:22PM
Crime show taped Detroit raid that led to 7-year-old's death

Detroit -- An attorney representing the family of a 7-year-old girl shot to death during a Sunday morning raid says the family knows the Detroit police officer who fired the fatal shot is "not a monster" but said the police operation was flawed and influenced by TV production concerns.

The police "were excited; they were on TV," said Oak Park attorney Karri Mitchell, who is representing the family of Aiyana Jones. "They didn't have to throw a grenade through the front window when they knew there were children in there."

The attempted arrest of a murder suspect at a two-unit house on Lillibridge on the city's east side was videotaped for an episode of "The First 48," a reality crime show on the Arts & Entertainment Network, said Detroit police spokesman John Roach.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100517/METRO/5170371/1409/METRO#ixzz0oDmOKkP0

Aiyana Jones – Killed By The Police of Detroit

Posted on May 17, 2010

Aiyana Jones was falling asleep wen the officer shots her.The youngest was sleeping on a couch in the apartment of her parents when there was an officer shot by officers looking for the suspect in a homicide.

The dead girl’s father, Charles Jones, told The Detroit News, who had just moments before going to bed and covered her daughter with her favorite blanket, with designs of the Disney Princesses.

He explained that suddenly heard a bang and moments after police entered the house, knocked him down on the blood of his own daughter and arrested him.

http://www.dailyhotnews.org/1033/aiyana-jones-killed-by-the-police-of-detroit/

I have to wonder if DPD emotions were also running high b/c of the recent shooting death of one of their own. Not that it makes it any better, but it did cross my mind...

This story is another good example of how parents choose drugs or other criminal lifestyles over their children. This little girl would be alive if her parents were more responsible and upstanding citizens.

And now they want to sue?:banghead:

Aww..rest in peace Aiyana!

I agree about the parents.

I hope the taping of the show did not cause LE to act any different than they would normally.

O/T: The First 48 is my favorite show.

Rest in peace little Aiyana.

Police were looking for a murder suspect which none of the parents are. So what exactly does the lifestyle of the parents have to do with it? From the article, I am not even sure if the suspect actually lived in the apartment with the parents, or in the other apartment of the duplex. By the way somebody could be the most upstanding citizen and fall the victim to the "no knock" warrant-quite recently an innocent mayor's dogs were shot and killed by the police during one of those "no knock" searches. And I don't understand why the police gun would just go off-shouldn't there be safety on to prevent it from just going off?

having badges and being on tv doesnt give you the right to act irresonsibly. i dont understand how they shot a 7 year old sleeping under a blanket?

watch them try to turn it around and say she had a water pistol that looked like a real gun

This story is another good example of how parents choose drugs or other criminal lifestyles over their children. This little girl would be alive if her parents were more responsible and upstanding citizens.

And now they want to sue?:banghead:

TOTALLY DISAGREE! While doing drugs is not what most consider "an acceptable lifestyle choice", and I don't either, it MOST CERTAINLY does NOT make this horrific CRIME okay. No way, not in any way, shape or form.

People fall victim to the evils of drug abuse regardless of whether they are "upstanding" citizens. Funny thing is, in addition to illegal drugs, there are SOOO many people who are drug addicts and their drugs of choice are LEGALLY PRESCRIBED and they go through their daily lives living a lie like they are "upstanding" citizens (your word) and in the end, an addict is an addict. Period.

I am so offended by your post. The fact that the PD in this case screwed up royally is the reason why this little girl is dead, and nothing more.

having badges and being on tv doesnt give you the right to act irresonsibly. i dont understand how they shot a 7 year old sleeping under a blanket?

watch them try to turn it around and say she had a water pistol that looked like a real gun

I don't think it was done on purpose, somehow the gun accidentally went off.

great so they're just totally incompetent. doesnt exactly make it any better. :(

TOTALLY DISAGREE! While doing drugs is not what most consider "an acceptable lifestyle choice", and I don't either, it MOST CERTAINLY does NOT make this horrific CRIME okay. No way, not in any way, shape or form.

People fall victim to the evils of drug abuse regardless of whether they are "upstanding" citizens. Funny thing is, in addition to illegal drugs, there are SOOO many people who are drug addicts and their drugs of choice are LEGALLY PRESCRIBED and they go through their daily lives living a lie like they are "upstanding" citizens (your word) and in the end, an addict is an addict. Period.

I am so offended by your post. The fact that the PD in this case screwed up royally is the reason why this little girl is dead, and nothing more.

This actually had nothing to do with drugs. It was not a drug bust. Police were looking for a murder suspect. The house is a duplex, and it's not even clear to me if the murder suspect was actually in the same apartment where the girl was, or in the other one.

This actually had nothing to do with drugs. It was not a drug bust. Police were looking for a murder suspect. The house is a duplex, and it's not even clear if the murder suspect was actually in the same apartment where the girl was, or in the other one.

I was responding to the post that stated that this is a "good example" of how parents who choose drugs and other undesireable lifestyles somehow can expect this....(obviously I am paraphrasing, but that is the jist of the post)

And, how scary is it that even NOW, well AFTER this occurred, that it isn't clear if the murder suspect was actually even in the same apartment?:banghead::banghead:
That means that it wasn't clear if he was in the apt at the time the girl was murdered!

I work very closely with LE and respect them and their job as a whole, but that respect ends when sheer incompetence kills an innocent little girl. Rule #1 in LE is that you ALWAYS have complete control of your weapon.

I was responding to the post that stated that this is a "good example" of how parents who choose drugs and other undesireable lifestyles somehow can expect this....(obviously I am paraphrasing, but that is the jist of the post)

And, how scary is it that even NOW, well AFTER this occurred, that it isn't clear if the murder suspect was actually even in the same apartment?:banghead::banghead:
That means that it wasn't clear if he was in the apt at the time the girl was murdered!

I work very closely with LE and respect them and their job as a whole, but that respect ends when sheer incompetence kills an innocent little girl. Rule #1 in LE is that you ALWAYS have complete control of your weapon.
When I said it wasn't clear I meant it wasn't clear to me from reading the early articles.
Actually this article says the suspect wasn't even arrested in the same apartment that the girl and her family lived in.

"He said Charles Jones, the father of the slain girl, lives at one apartment, and the murder suspect was arrested in the other apartment in the home."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100517/METRO/5170371/1409/METRO#ixzz0oFGE6kwy

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100517/METRO/5170371/1409/METRO#ixzz0oDmOKkP0

This is my first thread-start on this site. I was surprised that this major news story hasn't been posted on WS yet. I live in north-suburban Detroit and have known about it for several days. The tragic incident has also been reported on national news channels and is likely to become a prominent case, especially with the intervention of local high-profile attorney Geoffrey Fieger.

Here are the current links to local features on the case:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/23592538/detail.html

http://www.detnews.com/article/2010...sks-for-patience-while-Evans-expresses-sorrow

There was a thread started on it yesterday.

I have bumped it up.

Coming up on HLN with JVM.

I grew up in the Motor City and have lived in north-suburban Detroit since graduating college.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSmurf1
Back