Newsweek reporter gives Websleuths a pat on the back

gardenhart

Reaction score
The summer of Chandra Levy seems like yesterday, though almost a decade has passed. I'd like to think I'm a better reporter now, less likely to follow the pack. More important, the media landscape has changed. Blogs barely existed in 2001. Now, when I cover any high-profile crime, I make sure to check out Web Sleuths, an Internet forum for armchair detectives who analyze cases and post court filings.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/238159

I have no idea what forum to post this in. If there's a more appropriate one, would someone please move it.

The headline for this story is "Would Bloggers Have Cracked Chandra's Case?" It's an interesting look at how reporters and police stumbled in investigating Chandra Levy's disappearance.

You did good my dear. I think I will move it to "Up to the Minute" :)

All I can say is WOW.

I keep telling you all that you guys are THE BEST.

You never know who is reading here. :)

Thank you all for your hard work.

Tricia

http://www.newsweek.com/id/238159

I have no idea what forum to post this in. If there's a more appropriate one, would someone please move it.

The headline for this story is "Would Bloggers Have Cracked Chandra's Case?" It's an interesting look at how reporters and police stumbled in investigating Chandra Levy's disappearance.

I just posted this on my FB page.

Awesome!!!!! Congrats to Tricia and all the sleuths here who do such a great job in helping to solve cases.

wm

Thanks for the kind words BUT I can't say this enough.

If not for the wonderful and dedicated Moderators and the wonderful and dedicated posters Websleuths would be just another discussion forum among millions.​

Thanks again everyone.

This was such a nice suprise to wake up to this morning.

That is really great I'm glad to be a part of such a fantastic investigative group. It feels good to know that we are being noticed. I think this deserves a song.

----------------
Now playing: Queen - We Are The Champions
via FoxyTunes

Here is the quick way: We Will Rock You

[video=youtube;sogKUx_q7ig]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sogKUx_q7ig[/video]

That's so cool!!!
Although CapitolGrilling.com did a pretty good job with the Chandra Levy case, at thetime.

Thanks for the kind words BUT I can't say this enough.

If not for the wonderful and dedicated Moderators and the wonderful and dedicated posters Websleuths would be just another discussion forum among millions.​

Thanks again everyone.

This was such a nice suprise to wake up to this morning.

Yeah, but we can only do so because of your providing us a safe (I typod that as sage, so I am leaving it) and sage place to sleuth. And providing us with awesome mods!!!!

This is awesome news and I congratulate everyone!

WS ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's so cool!!!
Although CapitolGrilling.com did a pretty good job with the Chandra Levy case, at thetime.

I am not familiar with that site but I'll take a look. Thanks T-Rex.

The media didn't learn with Levy's case because they did the exact same thing in the Elizabeth Smart case except the false suspect (Richard Ricci) only met Elizabeth once, had a solid alibi for the night of the kidnapping, and there was ZERO proof of any sort that he took her. Didn't stop the cops or the media from proclaiming him guilty. Just like with Gary Condit.

When John Walsh said soon after Chandra went missing that there was no way Condit was involved is when I changed my mind. Until that point I thought, like everyone else, he was guilty.

Because of these two cases, unless the proof is solid and strong, I don't assume somone is guilty anymore.

Like Ms. Smalley pointed out, we love to take the public docs and tear into them, we analyze all the info and toss around ideas and theories.

Had Websleuths been like it is now during the Levy disappearance I would think there would have been a lively discussion about Condit and his guilt or innocence. I would also bet that many Websleuth members would have come to the conclusion that Condit did not do it.

:woohoo:
This is awesome for ws to be recognized in a positive light. We all work so hard here to try to make a difference and it just feels good to know people notice.

As a former reporter, I would have loved to have a resource like this around. The sheer number of people involved and the cases listed is pretty amazing. And it's true, you never know who's gonna have that one little piece ...

i have been a member of Websleuths since 1998.

it wasn't till Tricia took over, that this community

became what it is today. Thank-you tricia and all the mods

who have worked so hard to make it so.

WOW...just wow...Thank you tricia for getting us there. Very impressive!

I am not familiar with that site but I'll take a look. Thanks T-Rex....

Tricia, the Capitol Grilling site no longer "allows" discussion of true crime cases. There was always a few threads, with dedicated and literate posters, about high-profile cases, e.g. Elizabeth Smart, Chandra, etc. But one day the owner of the site announced that he didn't want that sort of discussion on his site, and that was that. Many of the true crime posters also had been posting on the political threads, as well. Capitol Grilling has degenerated (in my opinion) to a couple of dozen posters who just bicker and insult each other in very juvenile and bitter ways, racism, bad language, vulgarity. It's a shame, because the political discourse used to be quite high-minded. There was a days-long thread beginning on the morning of 9-11 which still gives me chills when I go back and read it.

Tricia, the Capitol Grilling site no longer "allows" discussion of true crime cases. There was always a few threads, with dedicated and literate posters, about high-profile cases, e.g. Elizabeth Smart, Chandra, etc. But one day the owner of the site announced that he didn't want that sort of discussion on his site, and that was that. Many of the true crime posters also had been posting on the political threads, as well. Capitol Grilling has degenerated (in my opinion) to a couple of dozen posters who just bicker and insult each other in very juvenile and bitter ways, racism, bad language, vulgarity. It's a shame, because the political discourse used to be quite high-minded. There was a days-long thread beginning on the morning of 9-11 which still gives me chills when I go back and read it.

Thanks Morag. It is sad when the bullies and jerks take over. Thank goodness those days are gone from here.

i have been a member of Websleuths since 1998.

it wasn't till Tricia took over, that this community

became what it is today. Thank-you tricia and all the mods

who have worked so hard to make it so.

Hi Delaney,

Good to see you. Hope you come back more often and post.

WOW, you have been here literally since day one haven't you.

It took a while and it was very hard because we had to get rid of posters who had been here for a long time but we had to stay focused on true crime and not Internet forum drama. When we did that and changed the rules Websleuths really blosssomed.

Delaney I would love to hear more about the old days of Websleuths feel free to PM me or email me at tgrif@xmission.com

Thanks.
Tricia

Well as we say back East isn't this just the Cat's Meow! :) Congratulations Tricia. Well deserved!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back