Duchess of York (Sarah Ferguson) Caught in Money for Access Sting

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Man alive is this going to be big news in England, in the U.S, EVERYWHERE except perhaps small areas in Outer Mongolia.

From MSNBC:

"Ferguson is filmed allegedly offering to sell access to ex-husband Prince Andrew for $720,000 . . ."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37298950/ns/world_news-europe/

Is what she did actually illegal?

Perhaps our British members woud care to comment?

The News of the World (not the same as the News of the World with "Batboy" on the cover LOL) was able to get to the former duchess without much trouble by having a reporter posing as a rich businessman.

All through the article the News of the World stresses over and over that her ex, Prince Andrew, knew nothing of her scam.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/new...on-plots-to-sell-access-to-Prince-Andrew.html

For Andrew's sake I hope this is true.

OMG Fergie received ony 15 thousand pounds a year in her settlement.

I feel sorry for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEADFAST
Wow, she must be desperate for money. Her spokesperson says she was "naive."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8699423.stm
It surprises me that anyone would think it was worth $720,000 to meet with Prince Andrew.

Quote:
in return for 500,000 pounds ($725 million)

from the article in the OP, this has to be a typo, right?

LOL. I hope so. 725 million should get you a the chance to sit in Osama Bin Laden's lap. I think Andrew is closer to 725 thousand.

"Vulgar, vulgar, vulgar," as the palace official said.

The comments below the News of the World articles are lots of fun. Sympathy for Sarah is balanced by republican cries to do away with monarchy. Since my family hasn't lived there since '85 (that would be 1685), I guess I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I do feel a bit sorry for Sarah (only £15k a year? ouch!) but also feel monarchy's time has come and gone.

I'm not so sure Andrew is off the hook. From a TimesOnline article:
Referring to Andrew by the codename “Billy”, she is alleged to have told the intermediary: “Billy is happy to meet with him but [he] has to know that for Billy to meet with him etc etc he has to give me £500,000.”. . .

. . . Ferguson claimed to have discussed the deal with Prince Andrew. “Andrew said to me, ‘Tell him £500,000.’ He knows that he’s had to underwrite me up to now because I’ve got no money. So if you want to meet him in your business, look after me and he’ll look after you . . . you’ll get it back tenfold.” . . .

[Fergie states,]"As Andrew said, ‘Listen, if he’s going to be kind enough to want to play, then Andrew will play’,” Ferguson is claimed to have told the reporter. “And he says, ‘Let’s play.’
“You two talk. I listen. Then I activate . . . he meets the most amazing people. And he just throws them my way. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article7134237.ece?token=null&offset=12&page=2
I think there should at least be an investigation.

"Vulgar, vulgar, vulgar," as the palace official said.

The comments below the News of the World articles are lots of fun. Sympathy for Sarah is balanced by republican cries to do away with monarchy. Since my family hasn't lived there since '85 (that would be 1685), I guess I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I do feel a bit sorry for Sarah (only £15k a year? ouch!) but also feel monarchy's time has come and gone.

How right you are my dear wfgodot. The comments below the article are pretty darn good.

I love the one where the writer was demanding the Duchess be arrested immediately . . . for smoking inside. LOL.

After reading about her situation I do feel for her. Don't condone what she did but can feel for her desperation.

Wow. She could not figure out that she was a target for something like this??? I mean really. Doesnt she have a reality series in the works? Or should I say didnt???...

I love Fergie and if this is sooooo bad, then perhaps the prince should THINK about giving her more $$$$!

Sorry, but she married into the monarchy and she SHOULD be compensated accordingly.

JMHO
fran

Whether Andrew was directly involved - as it appears he was, at least to some extent - IMO he is ultimately responsible for this situation having occurred. For the mother of his children to be receiving only 15,000 pounds per year (Equal to $20,000 or so USD) is downright disgraceful.

I have always felt sorry for Fergie. It seemed as if she was tossed away by the entire Royal Family like an old shoe.

Sarah was young and dumb and obviously lonely and she got her toes sucked. In the meanwhile, it seems all the men in the family - from the husband of the Queen on down - were likely having the same act performed on a certain portion of THEIR anatomy, and it was not their toes.

Charles was outright nasty with Diana when it came to their divorce settlement. But Diana was smart enough to get herself some high-powered lawyers who weren't about to "bow down" to The Royals.

It sounds like whoever represented Fergie certainly didn't do well by her. And it isn't that she hasn't been trying over the years to support herself.

I think she is a not-too-bright gal who was desperate. I feel sorry for her.

OR this kind of thing has been going on for quite some time - with Andrew's cooperation - and it became so blatant that the sting was set up. And guess who will take the fall?

I think Fergie ought to get more money out of her ex...he's filthy rich. Still what Fergie did disgusts me. I can blame her though if she really needed the money.

You can or you can't blame her if she really needed the money?

And again, we don't know that this type of thing hasn't been going on for years. And exactly what was Andrew to think when some strange guy shows up and is introduced as "a friend of mine who is in business" by Sarah? Was that going to be a surprise to him? Somehow I doubt it.

The thing to look at here is the WHY of the newspaper going to the trouble of setting this up. Their explanation is that it was in the interest of the public for this to be exposed. Does that sound like a one-time event? And how would that have worked if it had never happened before? Some newspaper guys are sitting around and saying "Hey, I have an idea for a story! How about if we try having a reporter pose as a high-powered businessman and see if we can bribe Fergie into taking money in exchange for meeting up with Prince Andrew?"

Somehow, I don't think that's the way this whole thing went down.

Now they are reporting on the TV that Sarah may "have to move out of the house" that she lives in WITH her ex-husband. Not too long ago it was reported that Andrew realized something like $14 million from the sale of the house that he and Fergie had lived in as a married couple. Did she not get any of that money? Probably not, in light of her current fundraising efforts.

IMO this sting was handled poorly.
They should have been more patient.
They should have kept it going where they actually were in contact with Andrew and get him on tape talking about the money.

The way this was done it leaves to much to be denied etc.

I wonder if anyone will come forward now to say they were involved in something like this before?

15,000 a year is rediculous, did she also get child support?

VB

IMO this sting was handled poorly.
They should have been more patient.
They should have kept it going where they actually were in contact with Andrew and get him on tape talking about the money.

The way this was done it leaves to much to be denied etc.

I wonder if anyone will come forward now to say they were involved in something like this before?

15,000 a year is rediculous, did she also get child support?

VB

Her daughters the princesses are well taken care of by "the firm," a.k.a. the royals. As for attempting to involve Andrew, that would be the last thing News of the World would want to do, it being a conservative tabloid and therefore one which is pro-monarchy. It's fair game for them to tear down Fergie, who is viewed as an embarrassment to the Windsors.

What she did was completely tacky, but tackiness rules in tabloids over there I (and here, come to think of it). Sounds like she wasn't selling secrets, just paving the way for access to Andrew. Easier to rationalize in her mind, I bet. Hate to say it but I can almost see her mindset, given the disgustingly stingy settlement. The royal family is the richest in the WORLD. GMAB.

Eve

I'm so disappointed in Sarah! Imagine how her daughters feel about her, and her money grubbing about their father. Jeez, what a sad situation for those girls.

Yeah, but how sad that their mother's well-being was only worth 20k a year to the royals? Huh?

Eve

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back