45 Million Don't Buckle Up

Vegas Bride

Reaction score
http://www.abc4.com/content/news/na...ns-dont-buckle-up/lQ6EbHnl1UOM6uzrb73QZA.cspx

This caught my eye today.
According to a govenment report aprox 45 Million people in America do not use their seatbelt.
I am guilty of being 1 of them. I do use the seatbelt at times, but most of the time I don't.
According the the report there are several people killed every day that would have been saved if they used their seatbelt.
I'm going to try to do better!

VB

My parents always pushed the seatbelt on my sister and I as kids. Even though they never wore it. Once I reached 18 ( when i thought it would be so cool not to have to wear it), the law changed, everyone is suppose to wear it now. Well, I always wear it, and if its not on, I feel uncomfortable. Something so simple to do can save lives.

I am big lurker, but i recommend wearing seatbelts. I am one of the lucky ones i actually had been wearing a seatbelt and took it off to lean forward to talk to my friends in the front seat because the music was so loud after that the driver took a corner too fast and the car rolled three times. I was thrown from the car along with my girlfriend. she died. I was ICU for three weeks with major head and internal injuries. I urge all to buckle up. I went out a sun roof and was thrown over 50 feet. I would have never thought that that was possible. I thank god every day and the fast thinking of the para medics for life flighting me to a major trauma unit over 90 minutes away.

Wow Immay that was awful!! So glad that you survived but so sorry your friend did not :(

I think it's true that people just don't think it will happen to them.
I have to remind myself that you just don't know when an accident will happen. I've been in a few accidents, nothing that caused injury tho. I joke with dh about how IMO Utah has the worst drivers, so why is it so hard for me to put on my seatbelt? dh also had 2 cousins die when a car they were in crashed. Even knowing this, he is like me and does not always buckle up, however we do both buckle up when we're on the canyon highway they died on.
My big thing with them is they feel uncomfortable, the strap crosses over me at an akward angle and always ends up rubbing against my neck. I like to wear jewelry and the strap also irritates that.
I am going to try to improve on it tho. Here in Utah they're supposed to start going after people like me better and ticket them. I know if I knew I was going to get a ticket for fifty dollars because I wasn't wearing my belt I'd be quick to buckle up!

VB

A good friend of mine hated seat belts... used the excuse of fearing getting trapped in a car wreck due to them. UNTIL... she was actually in a wreck and it opened her eyes. It wasn't a bad wreck, but serious enough to make her realize that she was in far more danger when she wasn't belted in.

Please buckle up. My aunt survived breast cancer, but didn't survive being thrown from her van because she didn't have on her seatbelt . The van didn't suffer much damage at all. She most likely would have been just fine if she just had on her seatbelt. She was picking up a friend who lived really close to her. I guess she thought it was too much trouble to put it on and take it back off in such a short time. I wish she had made the effort. I miss her.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back